• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2015 NOVEMBER PEREGRINOS

Sandra S

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Nov-Dec 2015
Hi all!

I'll be starting the Camino Frances from SJPP on November the 10th, 2015, and have been inspired by these fabulous threads to begin a list of pilgrims who are walking at around the same time (including late October 2015 and early December 2015, given we'll likely cross paths). My hope is that this will be a chance for us to connect, ask questions, share ideas and inspiration, and perhaps even make plans to meet as we all prepare for our adventure.

If you'd like to join in, please post a message introducing yourself, including the following information (which I'll add to the list below):

• Your date of departure
  • Your departure location
  • How many days you're planning to walk for
Feel free to introduce yourself too, perhaps with some info about where you're coming from, what inspired you to do the Camino, and what you're looking forward to! :)

Thanks!

Sandra

NOVEMBER 2015 PILGRIMS ON THE CAMINO FRANCES
Sun, Oct 25
Mon, Oct 26
Tue, Oct 27
Wed, Oct 28
Thu, Oct 29
Fri, Oct 30
Sat, Oct 31
Sun, Nov 1
Mon, Nov 2 annaindi (SJPP/35)
Tue, Nov 3 Liam H (SJPP/35); Nikki-ki-yay (SJPP/?)
Wed, Nov 4
Thu, Nov 5
Fri, Nov 6
Sat, Nov 7
Sun, Nov 8 ingrid.f (Pamplona/25)
Mon, Nov 9
Tue, Nov 10 Sandra S (SJPP/41); Courtney M. (SJPP/?)
Wed, Nov 11 davidduff (Leon/?)
Thu, Nov 12
Fri, Nov 13
Sat, Nov 14 Paul St (SJPP/?)
Sun, Nov 15
Mon, Nov 16
Tue, Nov 17
Wed, Nov 18
Thu, Nov 19
Fri, Nov 20
Sat, Nov 21
Sun, Nov 22
Mon, Nov 23 Perry el Peregrino (SJPP/42)
Tue, Nov 24
Wed, Nov 25
Thu, Nov 26
Fri, Nov 27 ChrisK (Pamplona/?)
Sat, Nov 28
Sun, Nov 29
Mon, Nov 30
Tue, Dec 1
Wed, Dec 2
Thu, Dec 3
Fri, Dec 4
Sat, Dec 5

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It makes sense that I also kick-start the introductions! My name is Sandra, and I'm a 31-year-old woman from Melbourne, Australia. I'm an Art Therapist by trade, and am currently completing my Masters. My passions are travel, food, learning, and my little black dog, Jackie.

I'll be starting the Camino on Nov 10th with the intention of finishing it 41 days later, on Dec 20th. I've been wanting to do a long-distance walk since I was 17, when I had the inspiration to walk around the world! That never happened, hahaha, but I figured an 800km trek across the north of Spain was a good start to that dream :)

I travelled a lot on my own when I was younger, and have had the joy of travelling with my partner for the past 10 years. I'm most looking forward to the challenge of being on my own and outside of my comfort zone on the Camino, and am hoping that the journey will be a space of healing and connection.

I've just started properly thinking about packing and training, although I have been practicing my Spanish on Duolingo for a while, so at least I have one thing underway!

I really look forward to hearing from you all!

Sandra

@Sandra S I'm not sure how many are likely to respond - by November many of the alberges have closed for the season and the numbers of pilgrims drops dramatically. We have a few hardy souls who walk in winter (@mspath is our champion) but not many. And of course not everyone who walks the camino knows about this forum.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@Sandra S I'm not sure how many are likely to respond - by November many of the alberges have closed for the season and the numbers of pilgrims drops dramatically. We have a few hardy souls who walk in winter (@mspath is our champion) but not many. And of course not everyone who walks the camino knows about this forum.
Thanks @Kanga! By the sounds of it, about 4,803 Compostelas were issued in November of last year, and a lot of the discussions about November walks suggest that I won't be alone on the path :) The points you've raised are great, and I don't mind at all how many or how few people I connect with- the space is here for whoever finds it, and I trust it will work out exactly as it should. Given that it's a quieter time, and the extra challenges of walking in the winter when many albergues are closed, I hope it'll be a space where we can discuss some of those challenges and share resources to overcome them! :)

Here is some relevant info to get the potential snowball rolling!

Any season can be a wonderful time to walk, but in winter you MUST be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms, ask locals for advice and take every precaution.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by a Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. Winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this recent hazardous situation. During summer 2015 local authorities have decided that the Napoleon route will be closed from November 1 to April 1. Read more here.

Other difficult stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebreiro.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage. A new list of albergues Open in Winter is available as a Forum resource.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:

Any season can be a wonderful time to walk, but in winter you MUST be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms, ask locals for advice and take every precaution.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by a Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. Winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this recent hazardous situation. During summer 2015 local authorities have decided that the Napoleon route will be closed from November 1 to April 1. Read more here.

Other difficult stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebreiro.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage. A new list of albergues Open in Winter is available as a Forum resource.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine

Margaret Meredith
Wow, Margret! What a wealth off information that does, indeed, get the snowball rolling. Thank you so much for offering that, and for linking to so many great resources.

Your information regarding the Napoleon Route is particularly pertinent. I was hoping to do the Valcarlos Route regardless, and my intention was to do it in two days (staying at Valcaros on the first night). From what I've gathered on the forums, the weather when I leave (Nov 10) is often fine, although I should be prepared for all conditions.

Is this what you've experienced? And how have you found walking along the road? I'm worried about road safety, and would rather start at a later point than put myself at risk. Also, do you happen to remember how many hours (approximately) these two stints took you? And, finally, are you aware if there are any shops (markets, supermarkets, etc. that sell fruit, vegetables, jarred beans) in either Valcaros or Roncesvalles?

Thank you so much for any information you can provide. Now I'm off to explore the rest of those amazing resources!

Sandra

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...I was hoping to do the Valcarlos Route regardless, and my intention was to do it in two days (staying at Valcaros on the first night). From what I've gathered on the forums, the weather when I leave (Nov 10) is often fine, although I should be prepared for all conditions.

Is this what you've experienced? And how have you found walking along the road? I'm worried about road safety, and would rather start at a later point than put myself at risk. Also, do you happen to remember how many hours (approximately) these two stints took you? And, finally, are you aware if there are any shops (markets, supermarkets, etc. that sell fruit, vegetables, jarred beans) in either Valcarlos or Roncesvalles?

Thank you so much for any information you can provide. Now I'm off to explore the rest of those amazing resources!

Sandra

There is not much actual road walking since you can usually walk facing traffic on the verges when the path disappears in the wood. In bad weather I have never walked in that wood but always followed the road. SJPdP to Valcarlos takes me 3 hours or so; Valcarlos to Roncesvalles is a slow slog of 5 to 6 hours since I am old and walk slowly but steadily. Valcarlos has a small market or 2, bread shop and a few restos/bars. There are no supplies/services including water after Valcarlos until Roncesvalles monastery. The monastery has no food shops but there are vending machines in the new albergue on the ground floor as well as private bars/restos. Scan my blogs for futher practical comments re Valcarlos and Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
Some comments re food out of season.

In cold weather periodic bar stops throughout any walking day are necessary for a warm seat, coffee, hot chocolate or fresh orange juice and the loo. In Léon hot chocolate is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Served with freshly made crullers it is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for trekking! For another delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice. No champagne has ever tasted better!

In those albergues which offer kitchens many pilgrims for either dietary reasons and/or to cut costs prepare their own meals; except in emergencies I generally don't. Nevertheless I always carry basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open during the late autumn/winter! My basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Often these same ingredients serve as a predawn breakfast hours before any Spanish bar would dream of opening!

Some comments re food out of season.

In cold weather periodic bar stops throughout any walking day are necessary for a warm seat, coffee, hot chocolate or fresh orange juice and the loo. In Léon hot chocolate is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Served with freshly made crullers it is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for trekking! For another delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice. No champagne has ever tasted better!

In those albergues which offer kitchens many pilgrims for either dietary reasons and/or to cut costs prepare their own meals; except in emergencies I generally don't. Nevertheless I always carry basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open during the late autumn/winter! My basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Often these same ingredients serve as a predawn breakfast hours before any Spanish bar would dream of opening!
Thank you Margaret! That all sounds very doable, and not as scary as I initially thought. I'm a pilgrim who will be cooking a lot, due to both dietary requirements and budget needs. I'll definitely be carrying food with me, and stocking up at shops along the way. I love the idea of soup packets!

The decision that I'm currently making is how much to carry with me for the first two days- I'm either going to take all the meals with me, or buy extra supplies in Valcarlos and Roncesvalles (thus my curiosity about their shops). As long as I can get some jars of beans, I'll be fine :) I'll go have a look at the practical tips on your wonderful blog and see what will work!

Thanks again. It's very kind of you to be so supportive.

Sandra

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be starting the Camino Frances from SJPP on November the 10th, 2015,
You are in for a great adventure! It's great that you have invited other November pilgrims to post here.

A new list of albergues Open in Winter is available as a Forum resource.
I followed this link since I will be walking all through November. I wasn't able to download the list because it goes to an external site which has the notice that "Los meses fríos han pasado y la mayoría de albergues estarán abiertos. La lista volverá la próxima temporada (noviembre 2015 - febrero 2016)." I.e. "The cold months are over and most albergues will be open. The list will return for the next season (November 2015 - February2016)."

Thanks for that update Claire! I did not download but with the link viewed a list covering Navarra, Rioja and part of Burgos dated 20/12/2014.

MM

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Margaret Meredith
Thanks for the great post. I tried to download the 2014 list that you posted a link to with the Winter Albergues that are open. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, I am very familiar with downloading items in general, but I can not download the list that was posted. When I click on it, it is just a part of a picture of the list. When I go to the website link that is connected to it, there is no list posted and it just says the new list is coming soon. Do you have any pointers on how I can get a copy of the 2014 list? Is anyone else having trouble downloading it? Thank you!

Is anyone else having trouble downloading it?
Yes I had trouble. (Scroll a few posts up.)

For those who start in SJPP - you will be able to pick up a list of albergues at the Pilgrims Office, that lists all the towns on the Camino and albergues, along with information about the months they are open. The list doesn't include all private albergues but it is a good basic list that will help you.

Last edited:
Melisa unfortunately the 2014 download does not unload! C clearly also had that problem. Read our comments in posts immediately above.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everybody. My name is Christof and I'm an alco - I mean, I'll be starting from Le Puy halfway through September, plus or minus a week after the 8th. I had intended on starting in August, but that ended up not working out. Im not sure how long it will take me to join the Frances, but I anticipate getting to St Jean more or less halfway through October. I have a tent with me, which I hope will come in handy if these rumors about closed albergues turn out to be true.

Hi Sandra, thanks for this. I will be starting my first Camino from SJPP on 23 November. Not sure how many days but I have a maximum of 6 weeks. Not really my preferred time of year to start but it's the time I could get off. Looks like it will be quite an adventure.
Perry

Hi Sandra, thanks for this. I will be starting my first Camino from SJPP on 23 November. Not sure how many days but I have a maximum of 6 weeks. Not really my preferred time of year to start but it's the time I could get off. Looks like it will be quite an adventure.
Perry
HiPerry, yes you will have a great adventure. Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sandra,

This is such a valuable thing to have posted. It's great to know that there will be quite a few other people out there in November/ December.

I'm looking to start the Camino from SJPP on either the 3rd or the 10th November. This depends on whether my friend is coming along or not.

I've got 5 weeks in mind as a rough guide. I'd like to take a couple of days here and there to look around some of the fantastic towns we'll all be going through.

I hope your research is going well.

Cheers, Liam

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm probably going to start from SJPP on the 3:d or 4:th of November. It will be my 4:th CF and my 10:th winter hike (although I must say that this will be my first winter hike where snow shoes or skies aren't necessary. Hahaha!). :)

It has been a bit of a struggle planning my camino for this year but it is set for November 11 starting in Leon and walking on to Finisterre. I can't wait to get off the train or bus in Leon and get started.

David
Hi David , the walk to Finesterre is very nice . I did it last year with my wife and we started in Sarria .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all!

Thanks for setting this up Sandra. I plan to start my first Camino on November 10, 2015, from SJPP as well. I am hoping to be finished by mid-December.

I am coming from the USA and this is a birthday present to myself :)

Looking forward to the adventure up ahead!

Courtney
Hi Courtney and welcome to this forum.
I find it a great birthday present you will enjoy very much.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I'm probably going to start from SJPP on the 3:d or 4:th of November. It will be my 4:th CF and my 10:th winter hike (although I must say that this will be my first winter hike where snow shoes or skies aren't necessary. Hahaha!). :)
Hi, wish you all the best on your journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi
Hello everybody. My name is Christof and I'm an alco - I mean, I'll be starting from Le Puy halfway through September, plus or minus a week after the 8th. I had intended on starting in August, but that ended up not working out. Im not sure how long it will take me to join the Frances, but I anticipate getting to St Jean more or less halfway through October. I have a tent with me, which I hope will come in handy if these rumors about closed albergues turn out to be true.
Hi Christof! How exciting that you're doing the longer journey :) You'll be a few weeks' ahead of me, so I doubt we'll meet, but I wish you all the very best on your Camino! I hope that tent won't be needed too often, given I'm not planning on bringing one. I'm sure that list will look after us! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perry
Hi Perry! Thanks for adding your info. I've added you to the list :) You will indeed have quite the adventure! I'm sorry to hear it's not your preferred time of the year. I hope it will be magical nonetheless :) Buen Camino!

Hi Sandra,

This is such a valuable thing to have posted. It's great to know that there will be quite a few other people out there in November/ December.

I'm looking to start the Camino from SJPP on either the 3rd or the 10th November. This depends on whether my friend is coming along or not.

I've got 5 weeks in mind as a rough guide. I'd like to take a couple of days here and there to look around some of the fantastic towns we'll all be going through.

I hope your research is going well.

Cheers, Liam
Hi Liam! That's very exciting. If you start on the 10th then you'll already have Courtney and I as your Camino friends :) Have you heard from your friend? I'll add you to the list under the 3rd, but do let me know once you know and I'll update it. :)

It has been a bit of a struggle planning my camino for this year but it is set for November 11 starting in Leon and walking on to Finisterre. I can't wait to get off the train or bus in Leon and get started.

David
Hi David! I'm so sorry to hear it's been a bit of a struggle. What's been happening?

I've added you to the list and hope to see you along the Way!

Sandra

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nikki! WOW! Your tenth Camino! My head can't even comprehend how fantastic those journeys must've been :) I wish you were starting a week later so I could hear all about it!

I've added you to the list under the 3rd. :)

I'm glad you're on this thread so us newbies have yet another wise walker to pick the brains of as we get closer and begin to panic!

Sandra

Hi all!

Thanks for setting this up Sandra. I plan to start my first Camino on November 10, 2015, from SJPP as well. I am hoping to be finished by mid-December.

Courtney
Hi Courtney! No worries at all! I'm SO excited to meet my first fellow 10th of Nov pilgrim :) What a fabulous birthday present!

I've added you to the list and am really looking forward to meeting you :)

Sandra

Hello everybody! :) Thanks Sandra for doing this!

I'm looking at starting my camino from SJPP around the 2nd of November and also have in mind about 5 weeks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi David! I'm so sorry to hear it's been a bit of a struggle. What's been happening?

I've added you to the list and hope to see you along the Way!

Sandra
I am walking with a friend and with trying to arrange schedules, etc, it was difficult to set a date. We were planning to go earlier but my mother-in-law had a bad turn with the cancer she was fighting. So we were kind of treading water till I knew if I could be away for 3-4 weeks. My father unexpectedly passed away on his 90th birthday and just two weeks later my mother-in-law passed away earlier this summer. So it ended up that November was the best time for us to walk. The Camino is going to be a good way to reflect and pray and kind of finish the grieving process. I can't wait and I hope to perhaps see some of you along the way.

I am walking with a friend and with trying to arrange schedules, etc, it was difficult to set a date. We were planning to go earlier but my mother-in-law had a bad turn with the cancer she was fighting. So we were kind of treading water till I knew if I could be away for 3-4 weeks. My father unexpectedly passed away on his 90th birthday and just two weeks later my mother-in-law passed away earlier this summer. So it ended up that November was the best time for us to walk. The Camino is going to be a good way to reflect and pray and kind of finish the grieving process. I can't wait and I hope to perhaps see some of you along the way.
Oh gosh, David, I'm so sorry to hear that. That's a lot to have going on. I'm glad that the Camino has sorted itself out in the end, as it feels like exactly the right space to process what sounds like a huge year. My love to you and your family.

Hi David, what a said news. Hope the Camino will do good for you.
Wish you all the best on your journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi all!

Courtney

Nice birthday present!! We are gonna have to celebrate! :)

@Sandra S It's "only" my fourth Camino. But I'm from Sweden and I've done a lot of hiking here up north. I'm probably gonna do the Camino cleanup late November so maybe you'll see me in the trail somewhere between Burgos and Leon between the 28:th of November and the 3:d of December. :)

€60,-
So glad to have found this very encouraging post! Thanks Sandra for initiating it and all the lovely people for providing valuable information.

I am planning to start the Camino on 8th of November from Pamplona as I only have 25 days of actual walking. It wasn't until a few days ago that I decided to do this. Going a bit bonkers now trying to sort out the transportation (most likely Taipei-Madrid-Pamplona) and make sure I'm well prepared for the cold and possible rain.

Really excited :)

So glad to have found this very encouraging post! Thanks Sandra for initiating it and all the lovely people for providing valuable information.

I am planning to start the Camino on 8th of November from Pamplona as I only have 25 days of actual walking. It wasn't until a few days ago that I decided to do this. Going a bit bonkers now trying to sort out the transportation (most likely Taipei-Madrid-Pamplona) and make sure I'm well prepared for the cold and possible rain.

Hi Ingrid and welcome.
I wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

@Sandra S It's "only" my fourth Camino. But I'm from Sweden and I've done a lot of hiking here up north. I'm probably gonna do the Camino cleanup late November so maybe you'll see me in the trail somewhere between Burgos and Leon between the 28:th of November and the 3:d of December. :)
"Only" hahaha I love it :) I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Yay Ingrid! Welcome :) What a big and exciting decision! I'm sure we're all in the same bonkers boat- I know I am ;-) So much to prepare and decide and do. It's going to be amazing! Let us know if you have any specific things you need help with. :)

I'm going to be involved in Rebekah Scott's annual litter-pick on the Frances route nr Sahagun, Palencia province, at the end of November/start of December, so maybe I'll get to say hi to some of you passing-by around that time. Please make sure to deposit all rubbish/trash/garbage responsibly. Buen Camino! James.

p.s. Incidentally, does anyone know the typical sunrise and sunset times at this time of the year?

I'm going to be involved in Rebekah Scott's annual litter-pick on the Frances route nr Sahagun, Palencia province, at the end of November/start of December, so maybe I'll get to say hi to some of you passing-by around that time. Please make sure to deposit all rubbish/trash/garbage responsibly. Buen Camino! James.

p.s. Incidentally, does anyone know the typical sunrise and sunset times at this time of the year?
That's great, James! What a fantastic project to be involved in. :)

Funny you ask- I just went to ask the same question about sun times on another thread! I'd be interested to know the answer too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey all, i'm planning to begin my adventure in SJPP on the 14th / 15th of November, coming there from the beautiful beaches of Central Coast, Australia.
Thought this would make a great 21st present for myself so why not!
Hi Paul, happy 21st. next month.

I am walking from Pamplona for about a week from 27 November - unfortunately I can't get away for the period of a whole camino so I will be doing it in chunks, at different times.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey all, i'm planning to begin my adventure in SJPP on the 14th / 15th of November, coming there from the beautiful beaches of Central Coast, Australia.
Welcome, Paul! :) I've added you to the list. I agree that it's a fabulous present indeed! :)

I am walking from Pamplona for about a week from 27 November - unfortunately I can't get away for the period of a whole camino so I will be doing it in chunks, at different times.
Welcome, Chris! I've added you to the list :) I'm sure the Camino will be just as amazing in chunks as it is as a whole!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Everyone. I'm changing jobs and taking some time off in between. Hope to spend two weeks walking starting around november 7. I have two questions for the group here.

1. I really want to walk the route Napoleon over the pyranees but concerned that it will be closed, bad weather, or just too risky. given that I only have a couple of weeks, if it is really unlikely that I can do that route, I may start in Pamplona (easier to get to than SjPP). What do you think the likelyhood is of being able to do the route Napoleon?

2. One of the nice things of the daily walk seems to be stopping for coffee, breakfast and lunch at the cafes along the way. But now I'm concerned that none will be open. Will that be the case or just in the smaller towns?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Everyone. I'm changing jobs and taking some time off in between. Hope to spend two weeks walking starting around november 7. I have two questions for the group here.

1. I really want to walk the route Napoleon over the pyranees but concerned that it will be closed, bad weather, or just too risky. given that I only have a couple of weeks, if it is really unlikely that I can do that route, I may start in Pamplona (easier to get to than SjPP). What do you think the likelyhood is of being able to do the route Napoleon?

2. One of the nice things of the daily walk seems to be stopping for coffee, breakfast and lunch at the cafes along the way. But now I'm concerned that none will be open. Will that be the case or just in the smaller towns?

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob, when the Napoleon route is closed because of bad weather you can walk the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles.
It is also very nice to walk.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob!

In answer to your first question, the Napoleon route will be closed as of November 1st, so Pamplona may be the way to go. :)

I'm unsure about the second!

Sandra

Well I'm glad I asked! Thanks Sandra! I'm torn. I would like to start where most people do but I think Pamplona will work too. I really wish I had time to do the whole Camino.

Will let you know what I decide and maybe we will meet along the way!

Well I'm glad I asked! Thanks Sandra! I'm torn. I would like to start where most people do but I think Pamplona will work too. I really wish I had time to do the whole Camino.

Will let you know what I decide and maybe we will meet along the way!
Yeah, it's a tough one! Will starting in Pamplona give you a chance to get to Santiago? I feel like two weeks isn't enough, but I've not done it yet so don't actually know. My approach to the question would be counting two weeks backwards from Santiago and starting there! I'd also give myself a day or two spare to either enjoy the places along the way or as a back-up in case of illness or injury :)

We might meet along the way, although it depends where you start! It looks like you'll be ahead of me, but I'm sure there'll be lots of other lovely folk to meet :)

Gosh, no, I didn't think I could walk to Santiago in two weeks! I'm using this as phase 1 of a multi-phase walk. Where ever I end on this phase, I will return and continue over the next couple of years. that's why I'm keen to start in St Jean, so that I can experience the common starting point of the journey.

Still haven't decided!

Gosh, no, I didn't think I could walk to Santiago in two weeks! I'm using this as phase 1 of a multi-phase walk. Where ever I end on this phase, I will return and continue over the next couple of years. that's why I'm keen to start in St Jean, so that I can experience the common starting point of the journey.

Still haven't decided!
Well that certainly makes more sense :)

You've got 18 days til you begin, so I'd probably flip a coin!

Oh my gosh, @Courtney M., I just realised that we start walking in 21 days! Are you ready?! I've been frantically trying to organise all my gear around Uni assignments. There's so much to do!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh my gosh, @Courtney M., I just realised that we start walking in 21 days! Are you ready?! I've been frantically trying to organise all my gear around Uni assignments. There's so much to do!
Hi Sandra, try to keep kalm. You will be fine.

You are in for a great adventure! It's great that you have invited other November pilgrims to post here.

I followed this link since I will be walking all through November. I wasn't able to download the list because it goes to an external site which has the notice that "Los meses fríos han pasado y la mayoría de albergues estarán abiertos. La lista volverá la próxima temporada (noviembre 2015 - febrero 2016)." I.e. "The cold months are over and most albergues will be open. The list will return for the next season (November 2015 - February2016)."
I will be walking through about 12 November. Honestly, even in October, you really need to be prepared for everything out here.

I couldn't get the list of open Albergues either. I did send an email to the web site owner. I'm wondering though, will there always be a hotel in the towns? Just wondering from a safety perspective.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi folks, I heard back from the owner of the website http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno.

"

I’m working updating the list and I hope it will be ready on the first of November. Better wait until then, because there are many changes from one year to the next one... this is the reason of composing the list!
Tell me if I can help in anything more.

Buen camino,

Lourdes"

Hola, peregrinos !! I am Greta from Lithuania and I just booked a flight from London to Biarritz on 29th October and now I am feeling like my mind is blowing out !!! :)) I have just 7 days to prepare. It's my first Camino and I believe it will be a great challenge not just because of ~800km or that it is winter time... I am making it as my spiritual journey too :)

I think, I will start my Camino on 30th October from SJPP. My plan is to get to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days, although I am a little bit nervous about the fact that a lot of albergues will be closed so it can change some things...

But, as I am still scrolling through forum's pages, I get more and more confident that I wouldn't be alone along the way and I really really hope that I will get a chance to meet some of you! :)

Cheers! ;)

€149,-
Hola, peregrinos !! I am Greta from Lithuania and I just booked a flight from London to Biarritz on 29th October and now I am feeling like my mind is blowing out !!! :)) I have just 7 days to prepare. It's my first Camino and I believe it will be a great challenge not just because of ~800km or that it is winter time... I am making it as my spiritual journey too :)

I think, I will start my Camino on 30th October from SJPP. My plan is to get to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days, although I am a little bit nervous about the fact that a lot of albergues will be closed so it can change some things...

But, as I am still scrolling through forum's pages, I get more and more confident that I wouldn't be alone along the way and I really really hope that I will get a chance to meet some of you! :)

Cheers! ;)
Hi, Gretuka, stay confident and you will do fine.
Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Cheers! ;)

Hola Gretuka.....

I expect to be leaving Roncesvalles on the 31st so looks like we may bump into each other..I am the very slow old Englishman...say hello as you whizz bye...Buen Camino

Cheers! ;)

There won't be many things in life from now on that will worry you Gretuka after you finish the camino.
Be very proud of your achievement , especially walking this time of the year,
Take your time, cop the pain and the rain and have a wonderful time.
God Bless and Buen Camino.
David

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi all!

I'll be starting the Camino Frances from SJPP on November the 19th, 2015, and have been inspired by these fabulous threads to begin a list of pilgrims who are walking at around the same time (including late October 2015 and early December 2015, given we'll likely cross paths). My hope is that this will be a chance for us to connect, ask questions, share ideas and inspiration, and perhaps even make plans to meet as we all prepare for our adventure.

If you'd like to join in, please post a message introducing yourself, including the following information (which I'll add to the list below):

• Your date of departure
Feel free to introduce yourself too, perhaps with some info about where you're coming from, what inspired you to do the Camino, and what you're looking forward to! :)

Thanks!

Sandra

Sun, Oct 25
Mon, Oct 26
Tue, Oct 27
Wed, Oct 28
Thu, Oct 29
Fri, Oct 30
Sat, Oct 31
Sun, Nov 1
Wed, Nov 4
Thu, Nov 5
Fri, Nov 6
Sat, Nov 7
Mon, Nov 9
Thu, Nov 12
Fri, Nov 13
Sun, Nov 15
Mon, Nov 16
Tue, Nov 17
Wed, Nov 18
Thu, Nov 19
Fri, Nov 20
Sat, Nov 21
Sun, Nov 22
Tue, Nov 24
Wed, Nov 25
Thu, Nov 26
Sat, Nov 28
Sun, Nov 29
Mon, Nov 30
Tue, Dec 1
Wed, Dec 2
Thu, Dec 3
Fri, Dec 4
Sat, Dec 5

Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you in excellent health!

I will be arriving in Paris on Nov, 17th at approx. 11am
I was wondering if it's at all possible to catch a train to Bayonne directly from CDG ( Will I be able to find a train at that time, how long is the trip and or How late do trains travel?)
Just an FYI:
I plan to start my walk from SJPDP Nov. 19th, But was planning on relaxing a little from 1 short and 1 long flight, before arriving in Paris and doing so in Bayonne or Possibly stay in Paris on the 17th and then take a train on the 18th to Bayonne, spend a night and then the 19th to SJPDP; as early as possible, find a train to SJPDP to begin the journey.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

AL.J.

Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you in excellent health!

I will be arriving in Paris on Nov, 17th at approx. 11am
I was wondering if it's at all possible to catch a train to Bayonne directly from CDG ( Will I be able to find a train at that time, how long is the trip and or How late do trains travel?)
Just an FYI:
I plan to start my walk from SJPDP Nov. 19th, But was planning on relaxing a little from 1 short and 1 long flight, before arriving in Paris and doing so in Bayonne or Possibly stay in Paris on the 17th and then take a train on the 18th to Bayonne, spend a night and then the 19th to SJPDP; as early as possible, find a train to SJPDP to begin the journey.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

AL.J.
When I've taken the train to Bayonne I had to change in Lyon or Bordeaux and it was a rather long trip. At one time I took the train from Gare de Austerlitz (hahaha spelling??) and another time from Gare de Montparnasse. Never directly from CDG. Whising you good luck and great travels.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Gretuka.....

I expect to be leaving Roncesvalles on the 31st so looks like we may bump into each other..I am the very slow old Englishman...say hello as you whizz bye...Buen Camino

Hello, Timothy,

I hope we will meet !!

And thanks to all of you for your support ;)

Hi all!

I'll be starting the Camino Frances from SJPP on November the 10th, 2015, and have been inspired by these fabulous threads to begin a list of pilgrims who are walking at around the same time (including late October 2015 and early December 2015, given we'll likely cross paths). My hope is that this will be a chance for us to connect, ask questions, share ideas and inspiration, and perhaps even make plans to meet as we all prepare for our adventure.

• Your date of departure

Thanks!

Sandra

Sun, Oct 25
Mon, Oct 26
Tue, Oct 27
Wed, Oct 28
Thu, Oct 29
Fri, Oct 30
Sat, Oct 31
Sun, Nov 1
Wed, Nov 4
Thu, Nov 5
Fri, Nov 6
Sat, Nov 7
Mon, Nov 9 Deb D (SJPP/?) Scott D (SJPP/?)
Thu, Nov 12
Fri, Nov 13
Sun, Nov 15
Mon, Nov 16
Tue, Nov 17
Wed, Nov 18
Thu, Nov 19
Fri, Nov 20
Sat, Nov 21
Sun, Nov 22
Tue, Nov 24
Wed, Nov 25
Thu, Nov 26
Sat, Nov 28
Sun, Nov 29
Mon, Nov 30
Tue, Dec 1
Wed, Dec 2
Thu, Dec 3
Fri, Dec 4
Sat, Dec 5

Hello Sandra!
My friend Keith and I are leaving SJPP on the 8th of November and walking to Santiago. Looking forward to seeing everyone out on the trail!

This the first full Camino for both of us - can't wait to start!

Hola, not being a winter walker I doubt I will experience this joy! One or two observations: in winter there is a lot less daylight so head torch really essential, but may I recommend one with a rear red light just in case you are still walking late; second the Spanish use of "European Standard Time" means that as you get further west the sun rises even later, so more chances of encountering frozen dew, which can be very slippery so extra caution required. Good luck and Buen Camino to all winter pilgrims:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi Paul,
You should have done the Norte mate , thats where the beautiful beaches are in Spain.

Wow, Margret! What a wealth off information that does, indeed, get the snowball rolling. Thank you so much for offering that, and for linking to so many great resources.

Your information regarding the Napoleon Route is particularly pertinent. I was hoping to do the Valcarlos Route regardless, and my intention was to do it in two days (staying at Valcaros on the first night). From what I've gathered on the forums, the weather when I leave (Nov 10) is often fine, although I should be prepared for all conditions.

Is this what you've experienced? And how have you found walking along the road? I'm worried about road safety, and would rather start at a later point than put myself at risk. Also, do you happen to remember how many hours (approximately) these two stints took you? And, finally, are you aware if there are any shops (markets, supermarkets, etc. that sell fruit, vegetables, jarred beans) in either Valcaros or Roncesvalles?

Sandra

Hi Sandra,
Margaret is an old hand so take in her advice.
There is a very big supermarket just prior to Valcarlos and also a sufficient one in town , attached to the coffee shop/restaurant you first come across when entering.
Restaurant on the road out of town is very good.

Follow this advice in winter please;
On leaving STJPdP make sure you are on the right road to Valcarlos an alberque will be on you right when leaving town.
Its very nice 2 km out when you take the off road .
We found walking from Valcarlos on a sunday , enjoyable as the road was empty.
I would advise if it is or has been raining NOT to go onto the forrest floor.
Many people say the Napoleon way is hard ...its not as hard as the forrest floor after a few days rain, believe me.
We leave the road at the water fountain , its the 4th t/off into the forrest and brings you out above Roncesvalles.
Starting too early in the mist could be avoided as the day is not long and suggest walking the extra 4 km to Burgette.
Roncesvalles to Zubiri can be somewhat tiresome and dangerous/slippery if raining , thus the 18km from Burgette is OK
And finally Sandra if its raining"" heavily""not drizzle mate , ..........start in Roncesvalles or even Pamplona.......and pick up the 3 days walking to Muxia.

To you both safe and blister free camino,
You will have a great time.

Last edited:
Heeey, does anyone know opening hours of Piligrim office in SJPP?

Open every day of the year. In season open from 8am to the arrival of the last train/bus at night or roughly 11pm.

@Liam H @annaindi are you on the road already? I'm in SJPdP and it would be fun to meet some forumppl. :D

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back