• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 August Peregrinos Departures

Paulo Paiva

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria (2013)
who's in?

Please use this thread for those starting their Caminos in August.

There is also a similar thread for those starting their Caminos in September October.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...eptember-october-peregrinos-departures.38584/

Moderator edit.
List updated 10.30 August 22nd

No Date GypsySoul
1 MelaCro SJPP
3 Lance SJPP
4 pvh +3 SJPP
5 abzambroza Pamplona
6 jadalmiro SJPP
7 Heidi Leon
7 Joel Sarria
8 Alison SJPP
8 bunnymac +2 SJPP
9 micmac SJPP
10 realfoodrebel SJPP
11 Laura SJPP
11 Frank SJPP
11 SkyeMac SJPP
12 eviemonkey SJPP
13 Jan SJPP
14 Paddy SJPP
15 Jeff & Jojo Pamplona
15 AHelsing SJPP
16 SterreO SJPP
17 Irenie & Craig SJPP
17 Kirstin SJPP
20 Tara +1 SJPP
20 AuraLT Leon
21 Clara
21 trecile SJPP
21 Odaly +1 SJPP
21 Nannette Irun
22 Kim SJPP
22 Virginia +1 SJPP
23 junaella SJPP
23 Allan
23 WldWil Fromista
24 Bianca SJPP
24 Alicia & Shirley Pamplona
24 JasW SJPP
24 Kez SJPP
25 Cynthia SJPP
26 TammyLynn SJPP
26 pazitive SJPP
26 MovingForward SJPP
26 Coffeeforclosers SJPP
26 teodora SJPP
27 Elleley SJPP
27 Duke6 SJPP
28 Rupe SJPP
28 Malabar Circle SJPP
29 Tommy SJPP
29 Pias +1 SJPP
29 Tiffani SJPP
30 Steven SJPP
30 Withybrooklan SJPP
30 MOC +1 SJPP
31 tpmchugh Pamplona
31 NicMen Lourdes
31 Terry SJPP

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting in Lourdes 31st Aug

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My sister and I will probably start around the 20th of August from SJPDP. We are going all the way to Finisterre, we think.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May see you both along the way cherrys. I'm planning to arrive in Ss Jean fro Lourdes on September 6th and leave the following morning and may or may not stop at Orisson. Buen Camino!
Great - we'll look for you. Buen camino on the Lourdes part - Cherry

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Starting from Pamplona on 5th August :)

€60,-
Starting 3rd August SPdP. Hope to some of you there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I start in SJPDP on 31 August and overnighting in Orisson before officially crossing into Spain on 1 September. 9 weeks till departure!!!! Exciting but daunting!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We're departing Saint Jean on the 4th (Me, the wife and our 11 and 13 year olds), hopefully it's not too hot......

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope everyone is training hard? We are walking 7km dailyv with our loaded backpacks, I am hoping this is enough to give us a good start to our Camino
You might want to insert a few longer days, with some hills. The walk from STJPDP is a fairly hard uphill and long, depending on where you end up the first night. The walk to Roncevalles is a long tough day. I walk most days, with or without my pack but for example, I probably over did it but I did a 34 km hike the other day that included 2000 vertical ft. of up and down in 2 climbs. You don't have to go that far but a few 20 kms would help you be just a bit more prepared.

Buen Camino

You might want to insert a few longer days, with some hills. The walk from STJPDP is a fairly hard uphill and long, depending on where you end up the first night. The walk to Roncevalles is a long tough day. I walk most days, with or without my pack but for example, I probably over did it but I did a 34 km hike the other day that included 2000 vertical ft. of up and down in 2 climbs. You don't have to go that far but a few 20 kms would help you be just a bit more prepared.

Buen Camino
I think I may be training too much, if that can actually happen! I've been walking about 7-12 miles 5 or more days a week. I'm feeling kinda tired and am leaving the U.S. in 3 weeks! Do you think I should cut back, maybe just do a few more long hill walks with my pack on, or rest? If I skip more than one day then I feel like I'm not in training! Oh dear, the hardest part of this process is turning out to be waiting to go!!!

I think I may be training too much, if that can actually happen! I've been walking about 7-12 miles 5 or more days a week. I'm feeling kinda tired and am leaving the U.S. in 3 weeks! Do you think I should cut back, maybe just do a few more long hill walks with my pack on, or rest? If I skip more than one day then I feel like I'm not in training! Oh dear, the hardest part of this process is turning out to be waiting to go!!!
Cynthia, don't over analyse what I was suggesting. My post was to someone who was walking 7 km per day each day. That is much less than you are doing. 12.4 miles is 20 km. You are doing well, especially if you are walking that every day. Your body needs a day of rest through the training period, take it, enjoy it embrace it and then get back at it. Even elite athletes take rest days when training for the event, then in the week or 2 before the event, they cut back on training to allow the body to heal and recover so it is ready to perform. I personally do a 2 hour walk one day and more on alternating days. Don't feel guilty. It is your Camino to do your way, no rules. Some hills helps you get used to walking up and down hills which you will face, especially on the Napoleon route the first day if you choose that. I am fortunate to live in mountainous country where I can walk out my house and be in hills very easy, others can't. They need to find some hills and get used to walking up and down with a pack, it does not have to an all out hike. It is all part of getting the body used to walking the distances and contours we will face on the Camino. My wife walked with a quite out of shape friend in 2009. They did the Valcarlos route in order to allow 2 days to Roncesvalles. They found it tough but enjoyable and easily achievable. It is not as high a climb as the Napoleon route but still quite hilly and tough. In the next week, she found her stamina built up amazingly and by the end she was a well tuned Camino walker. This is not a race. Your training will set you up for the first few days. After that your body will adjust to the pace and distance you set for yourself. Your body will adjust and unless you are a former athlete, you will be amazed at the stamina and shape you will achieve over the days you walk. This is a spiritual walk, which, even if that is not in your plan, you will achieve on some plane. I found walking by myself some times was what I wanted to explore my inner self, but at the same time it is a body changing walk which will fine tune your body to a level we rarely achieve in regular life, unless we are super fit and active in your daily life. I will be walking a couple of days in front of you and am going through the same inner exploring of "am I ready" and I've done it 2 times before. It is a normal thing most of us experience, you are just fine. I hope this helps.

Buen Camino

Cynthia, don't over analyse what I was suggesting. My post was to someone who was walking 7 km per day each day. That is much less than you are doing. 12.4 miles is 20 km. You are doing well, especially if you are walking that every day. Your body needs a day of rest through the training period, take it, enjoy it embrace it and then get back at it. Even elite athletes take rest days when training for the event, then in the week or 2 before the event, they cut back on training to allow the body to heal and recover so it is ready to perform. I personally do a 2 hour walk one day and more on alternating days. Don't feel guilty. It is your Camino to do your way, no rules. Some hills helps you get used to walking up and down hills which you will face, especially on the Napoleon route the first day if you choose that. I am fortunate to live in mountainous country where I can walk out my house and be in hills very easy, others can't. They need to find some hills and get used to walking up and down with a pack, it does not have to an all out hike. It is all part of getting the body used to walking the distances and contours we will face on the Camino. My wife walked with a quite out of shape friend in 2009. They did the Valcarlos route in order to allow 2 days to Roncesvalles. They found it tough but enjoyable and easily achievable. It is not as high a climb as the Napoleon route but still quite hilly and tough. In the next week, she found her stamina built up amazingly and by the end she was a well tuned Camino walker. This is not a race. Your training will set you up for the first few days. After that your body will adjust to the pace and distance you set for yourself. Your body will adjust and unless you are a former athlete, you will be amazed at the stamina and shape you will achieve over the days you walk. This is a spiritual walk, which, even if that is not in your plan, you will achieve on some plane. I found walking by myself some times was what I wanted to explore my inner self, but at the same time it is a body changing walk which will fine tune your body to a level we rarely achieve in regular life, unless we are super fit and active in your daily life. I will be walking a couple of days in front of you and am going through the same inner exploring of "am I ready" and I've done it 2 times before. It is a normal thing most of us experience, you are just fine. I hope this helps.

Buen Camino

Allan - your comments are very helpful and calming to me. I tend towards over-analyzing, although being in my golden years has mellowed that out some...guess not quite enough as yet! :) How lovely that you live in hills and also fortunate for training! I live in a flat valley of northern California where the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains are very close by. That is where I train on hills and enjoy hiking uphill much more than downhill! I appreciate your advice to get used to walking up and down hills in prep for Roncesvalles! After reading your comments, I think my focus over the next couple weeks will be the hills, then as you mention, take a rest period the week before leaving. My husband's warm and encouraging words are "no need to worry...once you're out there you'll be fine!" He must be talking about the body taking over after the first couple days as you described above with your wife. He would be with me but for a crushed heel and several equines to care for! A spiritual walk...definitely! Although I cannot state why, I am strongly compelled to go. If you believe in destiny, it feels like it is at work here. I hope to meet up with you and your wife on the path! Thank you for your kind words that have helped more than you know!
Buen Camino!

€60,-

Buen Camino
We are walking to Orisson on the first day as I have heard its a long hard walk to Roncevalles, everynight is all we can squeeeze in as we both work and have a farm. Our dirt roads are really hilly we pick the worst roads to walk on. I am looking forward to the challenge.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leaving SJPP on 24th, too! two weeks! excitement!!!!!!!

My sister-in-law and I start walking on August 21st from St. Jean Pied de Port to Orisson. Taking it slow and 'smelling the roses'. Say hi if you see us! Buen Camino everyone!

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

€60,-
Will be starting in SJPP on August 27, my 60th birthday, and celebrating with a walk and a stay at Orisson.
Buen Camino to all!!
Mayby we meet, me and My husband starts from SJPP the 28 of August.

My sister-in-law and I start walking on August 21st from St. Jean Pied de Port to Orisson. Taking it slow and 'smelling the roses'. Say hi if you see us! Buen Camino everyone!
We may meet along the way, we start on the 22nd aug.

Will be starting in SJPP on August 27, my 60th birthday, and celebrating with a walk and a stay at Orisson.
Buen Camino to all!!
Have a great stay at the albergue Orisson.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Buen Camino to all!!
Great way to spend a birthday! Perhaps can wish you a happy birthday on the walk!

I'm starting tomorrow August 15 from SJPP. See you out there!

Edit: fixed auto-correct mistake :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino to all!!
Welcome to a great decade! Have a wonderful birthday Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
who's in?

Please use this thread for those starting their Caminos in August.

There is also a similar thread for those starting their Caminos in September October.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...eptember-october-peregrinos-departures.38584/

Moderator edit.

No Date GypsySoul
1 MelaCro SJPP
3 Lance SJPP
4 pvh +3 SJPP
5 abzambroza Pamplona
6 jadalmiro SJPP
7 Heidi Leon
7 Joel Sarria
8 Alison SJPP
8 bunnymac +2 SJPP
9 micmac SJPP
10 realfoodrebel SJPP
11 Laura SJPP
11 Frank SJPP
11 SkyeMac SJPP
12 eviemonkey SJPP
13 Jan SJPP
14 Paddy SJPP
15 Jeff & Jojo Pamplona
16 SterreO SJPP
17 Irenie & Craig SJPP
17 Kirstin SJPP
20 Tara +1 SJPP
21 trecile SJPP
22 Kim SJPP
22 Virginia SJPP
23 junaella SJPP
23 Allan
24 Bianca SJPP
24 Alicia & Shirley Pamplona
24 Kez SJPP
25 Cynthia SJPP
26 pazitive SJPP
26 MovingForward SJPP
25 TammyLynn SJPP
28 Rupe SJPP
28 Malabar Circle SJPP
29 Tommy SJPP
30 Steven SJPP
30 Withybrooklan SJPP
31 tpmchugh Pamplona
31 NicMen Lourdes
31 Terry SJPP
21 Nannette Irun

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm starting 20 or 21 of July from Saint Jean Pied, any suggestions for getting there from Madrid??
I am arriving in MAdrid at 7am on the 21st of August in terminal 4
The trains run from the first floor of the terminal.
They are every 2 hours starting at about 8 am.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back