• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 for Vezelay....

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 | May | Vezelay Camino.....watch this space!

2010 | September | Camino de Santiago in - completed in full - 33 days - no rest days! Was an awesome experience!!
Hi all - I've done the French Way in 2010 - successful and amazing!!

I'm looking at doing the Vezelay Camino in 2016 and wonder if anyone else has done it in it's entirety in the one journey? I know it's about 60km longer than the French Way - that doesn't scare me - just interested in those who have completed it?

I have read that it's marked well enough but like the French Way you have to keep your eyes open and imagination active to look for the signs etc....

What about the accommodation - other then Alburgues what other accomm is available along the route?

What times of year have people walked it?

Cheers
Jacqui

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have read that it's marked well enough but like the French Way you have to keep your eyes open and imagination active to look for the signs etc....

What about the accommodation - other then Alburgues what other accomm is available along the route?

Parts are well marked, other parts have little or no marking. Since I walked it in 2010, I have met one of our hosts on the Camino Frances, and he said that they waymarking is constantly being improved. It is up to local friends and pilgrims association, so it depends on their energy level.

There are some gites, more hotels, and even more private homes that invite pilgrims to stay the night. You can contact these hosts through the tourist offices and local associations. There also are numerous chambres d'hote that exist for the general tourist trade and accept pilgrims. Search this website http://www.vezelay-compostelle.eu/ to find the name of its old guidebook, and get a copy if you can.

I got my copy of the 2010 edition in Canada: Itinéraire du pèlerin de Saint-Jacques sur la voie historique de Vézelay

Now a Facebook page: https://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/Itinéraire-du-Pélerin-de-Saint-Jacques-sur-la-voie-historique-de-Vézelay/120184838054290 that says the guide is not available.

I did it in the fall, a beautiful time of the year.

This series of guidebooks may be the best you can find now: http://www.amazon.fr/Sentier-vers-Saint-Jacques---Compostelle-Vézelay/dp/2751405673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405353033&sr=1-1&keywords=via vezelay

Information: http://www.vezelaytourisme.com/art231-saint-jacques-de-compostelle

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's about 60km longer than the French Way - that doesn't scare me - just interested in those who have completed it?

Is it true or typo? Because it says only 60 km, I looked up a map. Unless there are more than one Vezelay in France, the one I found is located south of Paris.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Because it says only 60 km, I looked up a map. Unless there are more than one Vezelay in France, the one I found is located south of Paris.
It is about 920 km from Vezelay to SJPdP. SJPdP to Santiago is about 775km. As with all distances, estimates vary a bit. It looks like the Via Lemovicensis is about 145km longer than the Camino Frances.

Shalom Jacqueline, check your e-mail I sent you a long conversation
S.

I walked the Vezelay route last year and found it mostly very well-marked. As is so often the case on the Camino, at those points that weren't well-marked and I stood scratching my head trying to figure out which way to go, help always arrived just when I needed it, in the form of another pilgrim, or a mushroom-picker or other helpful path-user. Also, the Amis on this route are exceptionally helpful and enthusiastic, and actively seek out pilgrims to help! It is usually possible to find a gite or a pilgrim room somewhere, but remember the latter are in the homes of volunteers who have busy lives of their own. There is huge pressure on these rooms due to it being part of the long-distance route from Holland and Belgium. Hotels are plentiful but chambres d'hote tend to be better quality

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jacqueline,
I walked from Holland, starting in May 2014, via Vezelay to Santiago where I finished on 10 September. The Way is reasonably well marked, and although my French is very basic I had no trouble using Lepere. Unfortunately much of the accommodation info is very out of date. However, the local Mairie (Town Hall) in France are very helpful and often provide accommodation or can put you in touch with someone who knows someone. Once you have somewhere to stay I found that most places know the next person in the chain and will make a reservation for the following day or 2. Wherever possible I opted for an evening meal if it was offered. Weekends and Mondays can be difficult as so much of France closes down after lunch or all day. Nevertheless I was never without a bed or a meal and met some really lovely people.

Jacqueline has not been back to the Forum since two days after her post, so she may not need the information.:) Others, however, should note that the Lepere guide needs and update for maximum utility! France does close Sunday and Monday!!!
;)

Hi all - I've done the French Way in 2010 - successful and amazing!!

I'm looking at doing the Vezelay Camino in 2016 and wonder if anyone else has done it in it's entirety in the one journey? I know it's about 60km longer than the French Way - that doesn't scare me - just interested in those who have completed it?

Cheers
Jacqui
I am in the process of starting an auberge for pilgrims in Sauveterre-de-Bearn on this route, and hope to be fully functional by this July. Looking forward to seeing you on this beautiful Way!

Attachments

• cartecompostel.jpg
    cartecompostel.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 9
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back