• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016. Holy Year. Busy Camino??

GerFol

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Camino Frances
2014. Camino Portaguese
2016. Camino Primitivo
I read recently that the pope announced 2016 as a holy year. I understand that during a holy year the number of pilgrims increase dramatically due to religious reasons. If I plan a 2016 Camino, will accomodation be a problem? Are there any particular months to avoid? Any other information that would be of use?
Regards,
Gerard.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will follow this link

The Pope has declared a special Holy Year of Mercy from December 8th 2015: http://ncronline.org/news/vatican/vatican-unveils-logo-prayer-details-holy-year-mercy Part of the idea is to encourage "true pilgrimage" on foot, which is likely to affect the Camino de Santiago.

However, it is not the same as an Año Santo Xacobeo, or Holy Year of St James, which next occurs in 2021, when St James' Day next falls on a Sunday, and pilgrims receiving their compostela, visiting the tomb and taking the sacraments in Santiago are eligible for a plenary indulgence.

Whatever happens, it's likely to be busy, as the number of pilgrims on the camino has been rising every year since the last Holy Year, and it looks likely that, for the first time, there will be more people on the route this year than there were in 2010 (for example, 31,078 pilgrims received the compostela in May 2015, compared to 28,849 in 2010).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Alan, this is good information.
Someone on the APOC site had mentioned they had heard it was a Holy Year.
Most of us thought, "noooo?"
So this explains what they heard.
I'll post it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning for may 2016 (start in Astorga). Expecting a lot of pilgrims, now it will probably be even more.

This news certainly puts a new spin on walking the French in May and June. Was hoping to walk the Camino free style, no reservations anywhere. Sounds like a strict schedule and advance reservation are in order. Any thoughts.

This news certainly puts a new spin on walking the French in May and June. Was hoping to walk the Camino free style, no reservations anywhere. Sounds like a strict schedule and advance reservation are in order. Any thoughts.
Easter falls March 27 in 2016, always a busy time but slacking off somewhat April/May - Springtime! A wonderful time to walk because of the comfortable temperature, natural beauty, wildflowers etc. June is busier. If you are concerned about crowds perhaps consider going a tad bit earlier miid-April May.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Easter falls March 27 in 2016, always a busy time but slacking off somewhat April/May - Springtime! A wonderful time to walk because of the comfortable temperature, natural beauty, wildflowers etc. June is busier. If you are concerned about crowds perhaps consider going a tad bit earlier miid-April May.
Our plan was to start first week of May walking into June. Walk 5 to 6 days with 1 day off and repeat until Santiago. Maybe it won't be so crowded.

You will be fine, from Sarria the numbers will increase but should not be unmanageable. After Sarria should you do find things crowded, there are other options for lodging besides the albergues, should you wish to remain "traditional" then stop just before or after the recommended stages in your guide. May require a shorter day then planned or a longer one to get it going but will probably solve any problem.
Buen Camino

In the proclamation Misericordiae Vultus announcing the Year of Mercy, the Holy Father has asked
that a Door of Mercy should be opened in every church, cathedral or any shrine frequented by large
groups of pilgrims. The bishops of England and Wales have also asked that every cathedral should
have a Holy Door. I can't imagine that the Door of Forgiveness in Santiago will remain closed.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This reply in May from the Dean of the Cathedral in Santiago when asked if the door would be opened

Todavía no está decidido cual será la puesta santa del año 2016. Saludos. Deán

I am following this link, I will be starting my journey late September 2016.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Late September 2014 was fairly busy leaving from St Jean , Orission was booked . Be good to follow the pilgrim traffic through 2016 before heading out in Sept . I will be re-starting my Camino from Los Arcos late Sept so will be joining the mid September Peregrino's that left from St Jean . Hmmmm ... better bring my pup tent

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The holy year is for rome, the holy door at the becilica will be opened, I posted a link some where on the details.

In the proclamation Misericordiae Vultus announcing the Year of Mercy, the Holy Father has asked
that a Door of Mercy should be opened in every church, cathedral or any shrine frequented by large
groups of pilgrims
. The bishops of England and Wales have also asked that every cathedral should
have a Holy Door. I can't imagine that the Door of Forgiveness in Santiago will remain closed.

large groups of pilgrims - Tourigrinos???

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Following this thread. I was not aware of this. I am planning for a slow camino in the Spring or Fall of 2016 (plan A VdlP, plan B CF, Dios dira).

Starting my Camino in September 2016 from SJPDP, have not decided on which day but towards the middle of the month. Que sera sera...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing can be busier than walking the last 100kms when the 25th is on a Saturday. Still, no need for reservations(other then Santiago) Don't worry about beds. Don't go down that road. It's all fun

Oof. I am leaving mid-March...one reason was to avoid the crowds and another because I prefer hiking in cooler weather. Sounds like it might get a bit crazy. I planned to do a rest day in Burgos but I would land there on Easter. I think I may go ahead and book an Airbnb to be on the safe side. Thoughts?

Closed accommodations will be a bigger problem than crowds in March! Burgos is a big city with lots of accommodations, so finding a bed will not be a problem. The large albergue there is not used by tourists. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Closed accommodations will be a bigger problem than crowds in March! Burgos is a big city with lots of accommodations, so finding a bed will not be a problem. The large albergue there is not used by tourists. Buen camino!
I did know there are fewer accommodations available but I've been told it shouldn't be a issue. I'll be walking big miles everyday but I'm flexible about where I stay so I'm not worried :)

I'm not sure that the Camino will have anything other than the usual % increase in the number of foot pilgrims, but what does seem likely is that there might be much greater numbers than usual on the Rome Way -- as the Year of Mercy indulgence is more closely linked with the Basilica of St Peter and the other Roman Basilicas than with other cathedrals.

Pope Francis : My thought first of all goes to all the faithful who, whether in individual Dioceses or as pilgrims to Rome, will experience the grace of the Jubilee. I wish that the Jubilee Indulgence may reach each one as a genuine experience of God’s mercy, which comes to meet each person in the Face of the Father who welcomes and forgives, forgetting completely the sin committed. To experience and obtain the Indulgence, the faithful are called to make a brief pilgrimage to the Holy Door, open in every Cathedral or in the churches designated by the Diocesan Bishop, and in the four Papal Basilicas in Rome, as a sign of the deep desire for true conversion. Likewise, I dispose that the Indulgence may be obtained in the Shrines in which the Door of Mercy is open and in the churches which traditionally are identified as Jubilee Churches. It is important that this moment be linked, first and foremost, to the Sacrament of Reconciliation and to the celebration of the Holy Eucharist with a reflection on mercy. It will be necessary to accompany these celebrations with the profession of faith and with prayer for me and for the intentions that I bear in my heart for the good of the Church and of the entire world.

The Rome Way now has infrastructures similar to those that the Camino had back in the 90s, BTW, though it has fewer traditional common starting points, like SJPP or Le Puy, Vézelay, etc than the Camino. There's Assisi of course, plus the fairly artificial starting point created fairly recently in Menton by the French/Italian border, as well as the Camino starting points in France, and Vienna -- but the difference between the foot pilgrims and the other pilgrims to Rome is far less significant than it is on the Camino. The pilgrimage to Rome is also far more overtly Catholic in nature ; whereas the Camino de Santiago has *always* been open to those of all manner of relationships with the Faith and the Church.

Yeah, about Rome -- 2016 is the first Roman Jubilee Year since 2000, the next certain years being 2025 and 2050. (I suspect there may be another in 2033 to commemorate the traditional date for the bimillenium of the Passion of the Christ)

It will be THE year to do the Roman Way, unless you want to wait another 10 years or more.

Having just finished the Frances Camino (3 weeks ago) I hate to think how much more busy it will be in 2016 and as for 2021 I think it may become a case of putting your name down 12 or 15 months in advance. It may be that in 2021 the number of pilgrims on the Frances Camino exceeds the number of beds available, on any one night. This was almost the case in Santiago during the last two weeks in Sep and the first week in Oct. Cheers

It may be that in 2021 the number of pilgrims on the Frances Camino exceeds the number of beds available, on any one night. This was almost the case in Santiago during the last two weeks in Sep and the first week in Oct. Cheers

That actually happened in September 2014 on the stages from O Cebreiro onwards

The popularity of the Camino in only the past 10 years has increased immensely. We see this most on the Camino Frances of course. Since this route has be overcrowded at times in the high season, the other routes (Primitivo, Norte for example) have also seen many changes to accommodate such high numbers. With the declaration of the Pope for 2016, it is safe to imagine all routes will be fully packed with walkers.

As for me, I am even more excited to possibly return to the Camino starting in Lisbon. While I only walk in June-July, I know life's blessings and challenges will be revealed each day no matter the path, distance, accommodation, weather.

Every day is a good day for a walk on the Camino. 2016 will be no different.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with Jabba on this -- I think the main increase will be felt from Sarria onwards. Sure, there will increases in long distance pilgrims as well, but in my experience, the vast majority of the pilgrms doing a 4+ week walk are not religious pilgrims. And remember there are lots of lovely and very uncrowded alternatives to the Camino Frances!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Okay, so here is an ignorant, non-Catholic question: Is the "holy door" an actual door in the Cathedral or does it just become symbolically holy?
The Holy Door at Santiago de Compostela is on the eastern side of the cathedral facing the Praza da Quintana de Vivos and, thus, closer to the tomb of Saint James. Both opening it and closing it are two major events of great ecclesiastic ceremony markng the Holy Year.

Last edited:
Okay, so here is an ignorant, non-Catholic question: Is the "holy door" an actual door in the Cathedral or does it just become symbolically holy?

It is an actual door that only gets opened for Holy Years. Also good to know, 2016 will be a Year of Mercy, see http://www.im.va/content/gdm/en.html for the wider Catholic Church, not a specific Holy Year only for Santiago. Those only happen when St.James Day, the 25th July, falls on a Sunday. If there is a similar increase in pilgrims will depend on the marketing the secular Camino authorities will do, as for gaining the religious benefits of the Year of Mercy there will be a lot of cathedrals and other important churches in many countries to do so. Buen Camino! SY

We can all do with a bit of Mercy. Looking forward to walking to my local church. Yet those of you walking next year will have quite a good time accessing many.
Buen Camino

The Holy Door at Santiago de Compostela is on the eastern side of the cathedral facing the Praza da Quintana de Vivos and, thus, closer to the tomb of Saint James. Both opening it and closing it are two major events of great ecclesiastic ceremony markng the Holy Year.

Yes, but a Pope or the Bishop can also order it opened for a particular Jubilee Year -- as 2016 will be, though that doesn't mean the Door opening order will be given for it.

I am walking Camino Portuguese in 2016. Will the Door of Mercy be open in the Cathedral in Lisbon or Porto as well as the Santiago door ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am walking Camino Portuguese in 2016. Will the Door of Mercy be open in the Cathedral in Lisbon or Porto as well as the Santiago door ?

Yes. They already are.

It's the case at every cathedral in the world since Sunday.

groups of pilgrims. The bishops of England and Wales have also asked that every cathedral should

What is this door? Is it an actual door?

Yes, though I think some churches and cathedrals need to either temporarily consecrate an existing door, or add a special temporary door, if they don't have a permanent Jubilee door in the architecture, if they don't have a regular cycle of Jubilee years attached to them.

In the Cathedral at Santiago it's the Porta Santa.

It's a Catholic thing. It's a special door that needs to be used to enter the Cathedral as part of the ritual conditions to gain the benefits of the partial or plenary indulgence, the other systematic requirement being to go to confession and perform any act of penance requested by the confessor. Some other particular requirements may exist, as defined in the decree of each individual Jubilee or Indult, but in the normal Santiago Jubilee Holy Years and in this year's Jubilee of Mercy no extra requirements have been defined, although a crowd control measure involving a reservation system has been put into place at St Peter's in the Vatican (but I don't think that foot pilgrims to Rome having their pilgrim passport and their stamps would be turned away from lack of reservations).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

In Santiago Cathedral it is, in other Cathedrals, that don't have a permanent Holy Door that can be opened, I guess they will designate a normal door to be the Holy Door for the year. Buen Camino, SY

Is it likely that the main rush will be over by September? I've read some accounts from people who completed the journey during a previous holy year and they found June through August the busiest time. So I'm hoping Sept/Oct won't be too bad.

September and October have become busy, but not a mob scene. It is better than July and August, but pilgrims avoiding the summer season now go in September and October. It is better weather than April, May, and early June!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll be starting in Astorga on the 18th of may and will walk to Finisterre.

Buen Camino.

Urban...I'm leaving from Ponferrada on June 2nd 2016 and didn't want to make lodging decisions because of not knowing how far I'll go everyday. I am taking a sleeping pad/bag in case of emergency. Did you get any response from the veterans as to the wisdom of NOT reserving? Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually no. Maybe because I'm walking the French way starting mid April but based on what I'm seeing on this forum, there's going to be a bumper crop of pilgrims this year. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I read recently that the pope announced 2016 as a holy year. I understand that during a holy year the number of pilgrims increase dramatically due to religious reasons. If I plan a 2016 Camino, will accomodation be a problem? Are there any particular months to avoid? Any other information that would be of use?
Regards,
Gerard.
I follow this too. Start in May at Vezelay, allready walked from the North of Holland to that place. Hope to be there in July/August. We (a friend and I) walked about 1000 km nearly without meeting other pelgrims. A bit afraid for overwhelming crowds now.

I have just recently completed my Holy Year Pilgrimage to our local Cathedral, after a year of illness.

This was a real foot pilgrimage, even though the distance is far less than 10K total. Crikey, Airport to Santiago is a longer distance ...

---

It is delightful to learn that even the shortest Pilgrim Way can be utterly genuine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So happy you were able to make your pilgrimage JabbaPapa.
The opportunities for gaining the indulgence have been many and varied.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back