• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 Nov/Dec & 2017 Jan Peregrinos Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've just booked my flight to Biaritz on 13 January so will be doing the CF route starting from SJpP on 14 or 15 January. I feel massively unprepared as I've decided to do this on a whim (although it's been on the back of my mind for a few years) but that makes it all the more exciting. I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask as I prepare.

Does anyone here have any experience of this route in the winter? I think all of my worries at the moment are about getting suitable equipment for the weather. I've read everything I can find on here and elsewhere but am none the wiser when it comes to some equipment, specifically the following:

Waterproof shell - Will something cheap and cheerful do or is it advisable to go for good quality and hard wearing, something like goretex?

Warm clothing - I was assuming I could get by with a good merino base layer, a mid layer (like a regular fleece) and a shell, especially given the fact I'll be walking all day. Is this enough to keep warm, especially in the evenings?

Sleeping bag - I've just found some good posts on here actually that have helped with this but thought I'd ask anyway. I wasn't sure how warm my bag needed to be and as I'm aiming to be as lightweight as possible don't want to go over the top. The posts were advising something with a comfort rating of potentially as low as -7 celsius so very warm. Any opinions on this based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,

I've just booked my flight to Biaritz on 13 January so will be doing the CF route starting from SJpP on 14 or 15 January. I feel massively unprepared as I've decided to do this on a whim (although it's been on the back of my mind for a few years) but that makes it all the more exciting. I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask as I prepare.

Does anyone here have any experience of this route in the winter? I think all of my worries at the moment are about getting suitable equipment for the weather. I've read everything I can find on here and elsewhere but am none the wiser when it comes to some equipment, specifically the following:

Waterproof shell - Will something cheap and cheerful do or is it advisable to go for good quality and hard wearing, something like goretex?

Warm clothing - I was assuming I could get by with a good merino base layer, a mid layer (like a regular fleece) and a shell, especially given the fact I'll be walking all day. Is this enough to keep warm, especially in the evenings?

Sleeping bag - I've just found some good posts on here actually that have helped with this but thought I'd ask anyway. I wasn't sure how warm my bag needed to be and as I'm aiming to be as lightweight as possible don't want to go over the top. The posts were advising something with a comfort rating of potentially as low as -7 celsius so very warm. Any opinions on this based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

Buen Camino

Welcome to the Forum! For current on-going experience re the CF now in winter see this very useful Forum thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-frances-in-winter.44511/

Do scan this earlier Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked the camino at this time to help you further prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Stay safe and Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today is 15DEC so I'm the next one to depart on the list. Just packed my bag last night and it was about 10.3 KG. A little bit over my expectation and still acceptable. Will fly from Beijing to Paris this Sunday then take the flight next day to Biarritz.
Hope everything will be fine.
:)

Better carry a mobile (and make sure it is charged!) and call 112 in emergencies ;-)
The Route Napoleon is closed form November to March inclusive, but the way via Valcarlos is normally doable in winter, if there is too much snow just follow the road AND always check with the pilgrims office in SJPdP the day before regarding current conditions.

Buen Camino, SY
Thanks!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am planning on walking the camino frances from SJPDP mid January. Really looking forward to the hike. Thoughts on carrying a GPS device in case of emergency outside of towns? Thoughts on crossing the Pyrenees that time of year?
SYates,
How long did you take to walk the CF when you did it in December?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am just doing the CF, but slowly-slowly, things really depend on open albergues, I have a live thread in the CF sub-forum about my walk which I just updated, have a look there ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Starting the CP from Porto on January 22.

Hi I am here! Astorga is great and tomorrow rabanal

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Started from SJDP on Saturday 14 January, arrived yesterday (Tuesday) in Pamplona where I'm staying until Thursday.
Temperature is currently -4 Celsius!!

Dear Pilgrims; its not that I want to "copy" the other thread related to the "sep/oct departures" but, I think opening up this one for nov/dec/jan would give us a good comparative number to get things into perspective of really how fewer pilgrims will be fighting against the wet/cold/snowy weather comparing to the other more popular CF months.

SO, copying the model from the other thread, "If you are starting your Camino during the months of November 16 December 16 or January 17" just raise your hand! I have created the thread under " Camino Frances" but, I reckon we should keep all camino departures for this low season in one thread ( as it seems we wont be many pilgrims from the forum out there)

I`m starting the Aragones in Somport on nov 17th, then will joing the Camino Frances in Puente La Reina where I`m leaving on nov 23rd towards finisterra!

What about you?

Keep it warm in your thoughts my friends, helps avoiding the weather knocking you out....

:D:rolleyes::cool:

Ultreya!

Departures Nov16 / Dec16 / Jan17
========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================
Nov 01 - @flywitheva (CF - SJpP)
Nov 01 - @MaryAnneS (CN - Bilbao)
Nov 05 - @janewang (CF - SJpP)
Nov 05 - @Jahaira Henao (CF - SJpP)
Nov 09 - @Rsk (CF - SJpP)
Nov 11 - @PengoQuest (CF - SJpP)
Nov 11 - @The Austrian (CF - SJpP)
Nov 13 - @Tania.Olives (CF - Pamplona)
Nov 13 - @AlohaAL (CF - SJpP)
Nov 15 - @caminoforme86 (CN - )
Nov 15 - @wgc138 (CF - SJpP)
Nov 17 - @vlebe (CA - Somport)
Nov 23 - @vlebe (CF - Puente la Reina)
Nov 24 - @AcrossTheWater3008 (CP - Porto)
Dec - @Faith831 (CF - SJpP)
Dec 03 - @Sarah80 (CF - Hospital Orbigo)
Dec 15 - @Nazanin (CF - SJpP)
Dec 19 - @smallove (CF - SJpP)
Dec 22 - @zinco (CF - Leon)
Dec 24 - @Sha (CF - SJpP)
Dec 28 - @Bmacias (CF - SJpP)
Jan 02 - @davkel (CF - Burgos to Astorga)
Jan 16 - @wanderwhen (CF - SJpP)
Jan 19 - @Theandrea (CF - Leon)
Jan 22 - @crg4 (CF - SJpP)

Hi - Is there a new post for 2017 November Caminos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back