• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 Nov/Dec & 2017 Jan Peregrinos Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlebe

Walker Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2001; 2004; 2009; 2013, 2016.....
Dear Pilgrims; its not that I want to "copy" the other thread related to the "sep/oct departures" but, I think opening up this one for nov/dec/jan would give us a good comparative number to get things into perspective of really how fewer pilgrims will be fighting against the wet/cold/snowy weather comparing to the other more popular CF months.

SO, copying the model from the other thread, "If you are starting your Camino during the months of November 16 December 16 or January 17" just raise your hand! I have created the thread under " Camino Frances" but, I reckon we should keep all camino departures for this low season in one thread ( as it seems we wont be many pilgrims from the forum out there)

I`m starting the Aragones in Somport on nov 17th, then will joing the Camino Frances in Puente La Reina where I`m leaving on nov 23rd towards finisterra!

What about you?

Keep it warm in your thoughts my friends, helps avoiding the weather knocking you out....

:D:rolleyes::cool:

Ultreya!

Departures Nov16 / Dec16 / Jan17
========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================
Nov 01 - @flywitheva (CF - SJpP)
Nov 01 - @MaryAnneS (CN - Bilbao)
Nov 05 - @janewang (CF - SJpP)
Nov 05 - @Jahaira Henao (CF - SJpP)
Nov 09 - @Rsk (CF - SJpP)
Nov 11 - @PengoQuest (CF - SJpP)
Nov 11 - @The Austrian (CF - SJpP)
Nov 13 - @Tania.Olives (CF - Pamplona)
Nov 13 - @AlohaAL (CF - SJpP)
Nov 15 - @caminoforme86 (CN - )
Nov 15 - @wgc138 (CF - SJpP)
Nov 17 - @vlebe (CA - Somport)
Nov 23 - @vlebe (CF - Puente la Reina)
Nov 24 - @AcrossTheWater3008 (CP - Porto)
Dec - @Faith831 (CF - SJpP)
Dec 03 - @Sarah80 (CF - Hospital Orbigo)
Dec 15 - @Nazanin (CF - SJpP)
Dec 19 - @smallove (CF - SJpP)
Dec 22 - @zinco (CF - Leon)
Dec 24 - @Sha (CF - SJpP)
Dec 28 - @Bmacias (CF - SJpP)
Jan 02 - @davkel (CF - Burgos to Astorga)
Jan 16 - @wanderwhen (CF - SJpP)
Jan 19 - @Theandrea (CF - Leon)
Jan 22 - @crg4 (CF - SJpP)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It looks like it's gonna be a quite empty camino on those months....at least judging by the forum :eek:

Last edited:
Me *waves both hands*

I am planning Norte middle of November.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Me *waves both hands*

I am planning Norte middle of November.
Yaaaayyyy!!!

I'm glad I wont be alone :D
I know will still be plenty of pilgrims, but as far as the forum members goes, it seems we wont be many walking!

Ultreya @caminoforme86 !!! Hope we will have another great time at the camino!!! Please let me know from where are you planning to start ;-)

On my case, my flight tickets are bought, and everything is kind of ready... I'm just waiting for some minor details to be sorted out on my job...

Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I walked the Camino Frances once again in January of this year.
On arrival in St Jean I was surprised to find that there were over 20 pilgrims in the municipal albergue. There was only one room open so every bed was filled.
Most of the pilgrims were first time walkers.

There were a lot of pilgrims all the way to Santiago mid January to February.

On arrival in St Jean I was surprised to find that there were over 20 pilgrims in the municipal albergue. There was only one room open so every bed was filled.

Thanks @grayland !

Yes, that is my feeling: Although there will be significantly less pilgrims, there are also significantly less available places to stay, so everyone that is walking on the same time, will most likely sleep in the same albergues :):rolleyes:;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
so everyone that is walking on the same time, will most likely sleep in the same albergues :):rolleyes:;)

Yes, that is quite true. You will also be in the same dorm. In winter the albergues often cram you all into one dorm, and keep all the other dorms securely locked up. With any luck, if you arrive late, and there are no beds left in the crowded dorm, they will have to open up another dorm . . . just for you! Jill

Jill described it perfectly....feels like mid summer sometimes with everyone in a small space.

I have experienced it both ways – at Foncebadon, being the last to arrive, and they opened up the attic. Heaven!

Then at El Burgo Ranero, seething with anger, sitting on my bunkbed next to the door, in a dorm full of noisy young men, watching the hospitalero unlock the dorm opposite for the last two to arrive. He saw I was a solitary old woman, he could have opened that dorm for me. You win some, you lose some. That’s the camino! Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Me me me I will walk from Leon to Santiago starting on the 9 th of January! It's third time for me in 18 months. The Camino bug has certainly bit me especially because I am from Australia and need to travel 28 hours to get there!

I am planning on walking the Portuguese Coastal Way starting in mid December. Any advice? :)

Dear Pilgrims; its not that I want to "copy" the other thread related to the "sep/oct departures" but, I think opening up this one for nov/dec/jan would give us a good comparative number to get things into perspective of really how fewer pilgrims will be fighting against the wet/cold/snowy weather comparing to the other more popular CF months.

SO, copying the model from the other thread, "If you are starting your Camino during the months of November 16 December 16 or January 17" just raise your hand! I have created the thread under " Camino Frances" but, I reckon we should keep all camino departures for this low season in one thread ( as it seems we wont be many pilgrims from the forum out there)

I`m starting the Aragones in Somport on nov 17th, then will joing the Camino Frances in Puente La Reina where I`m leaving on nov 23rd towards finisterra!

What about you?

Keep it warm in your thoughts my friends, helps avoiding the weather knocking you out....

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
========================
Nov 15 - caminoforme86 (CN - )
Nov 17 - vlebe (CA - Somport)
Nov 23 - vlebe (CF - Puente la Reina)
Jan 19 - Theandrea(CF - Leon)
What would the weather be like walking from Logrono or Pamplona in November for a week?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

What about you?

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
========================
Nov 15 - caminoforme86 (CN - )
Nov 17 - vlebe (CA - Somport)
Nov 23 - vlebe (CF - Puente la Reina)
Jan 19 - Theandrea(CF - Leon)

ME......................^^

Nov 4-5 Paris- St. Jean Pied de Port
Nov 5-Dec 12 St. Jean Pied de Port - Santiago

Me.... waves hand. Starting early Dec from SJ. Arriving in Madrid Dec 2, starting walk probably Dec 4 or 5.

Last edited:

Added you to the list! Buen Camino! Stay warm and dry!!

Ultreia! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Excited to start my 1 st CF from SJpP around the 16th January. Has anyone done it around this time? I am doing it on my own, and wondered if it is likely there will be other pilgrims to walk with over the Pyrenees? I hear the weather can be bad around this time and it's best to be in a group when it does.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Excited to start my 1 st CF from SJpP around the 16th January. Has anyone done it around this time? I am doing it on my own, and wondered if it is likely there will be other pilgrims to walk with over the Pyrenees? I hear the weather can be bad around this time and it's best to be in a group when it does.

Hi there @wanderwhen ; I have added you to the list of winter pilgrims!

Unless you have solid experience with Mountaineering and heavy snow conditions, You'll more likely have to go through Valcarlos instead of going up the Napoleon route when leaving SJpP. Other than that, I'm pretty sure you'll find more pilgrims along the way but, also very possible that on your first day you'll be on your own.

Check the awesome thread link already shared by @mspath for more information and tips!

Ultreia and stay warm!

:)

Hi there @wanderwhen ... Unless you have solid experience with Mountaineering and heavy snow conditions, You'll more likely have to go through Valcarlos instead of going up the Napoleon route when leaving SJpP. ...

Sorry, but you are misleading here a bit! The high road is closed (officially!) from October to March (or longer depending on the weather. And closed means closed, no matter how experienced a pilgrim is. During winter the route via Valcarlos is the only available one. Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm thinking of doing the whole Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago, starting mid October (maybe between 12/10 and 17/10) to mid-November, and maybe on to Finisterre if the weather and my feet allow. However, I'm concerned about the weather, particularly in Galicia. I have walked both the first and last week of the Camino, in late September 2014 and 2015, and it was fantastic, but I'm worried that one month later and it'll be miserable. Any advice from anyone? And will the albergues be closed in November? I imagine that the October part will be fine, and the November part will be a bit wetter and with more problems finding somewhere to sleep. I may bring the whole trip forward a week...

Looking forward to people's answers - thanks!

Hi @SYates - that link is super-helpful, thanks! I'm going to bring the Camino forward to start around 5/10, but I will go slightly into November, so this will be useful. Thank you.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am arriving in Madrid Nov 11 and starting Camino Frances Nov 13 (most likely from Pamplona).

I am arriving in Madrid Nov 11 and starting Camino Frances Nov 13 (most likely from Pamplona).

I have added you to the list! I'll be joining the Camino Frances in Puente la Reina around nov 23rd. Depending on how fast you walk I might catch up with you somewhere close to Santiago :cool::D (not very likely though)

Buen Camino and stay warm!!! :rolleyes:

I have added you to the list! I'll be joining the Camino Frances in Puente la Reina around nov 23rd. Depending on how fast you walk I might catch up with you somewhere close to Santiago :cool::D (not very likely though)

I wish you could! But I have only 2 week, so I am planning to walk the first part of C.F. - Pamplona (SJpP) - Burgos. :(

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Me me me I will walk from Leon to Santiago starting on the 9 th of January! It's third time for me in 18 months. The Camino bug has certainly bit me especially because I am from Australia and need to travel 28 hours to get there!

Know exactly how you feel (although I took almost 40 hours to get there in July from Sydney)!

I finished St Jean-Santiago on 9 August and when I got home started planning for St Jean-Finisterre followed immediately by Porto-Santiago (might as well jam it all in while I'm there). I'm thinking of kicking off sometime in the second week of November and going through to Christmas. Maybe celebrate Christmas Day in front of the great cathedral in Santiago? It will certainly be strange grinding out the Meseta in less than 40 degree heat.

It's going to be a few weeks yet before I finally lock it in, but posting this is a big step!

Know exactly how you feel (although I took almost 40 hours to get there in July from Sydney)!

I finished St Jean-Santiago on 9 August and when I got home started planning for St Jean-Finisterre followed immediately by Porto-Santiago (might as well jam it all in while I'm there). I'm thinking of kicking off sometime in the second week of November and going through to Christmas. Maybe celebrate Christmas Day in front of the great cathedral in Santiago? It will certainly be strange grinding out the Meseta in less than 40 degree heat.

It's going to be a few weeks yet before I finally lock it in, but posting this is a big step!

|That's awesome! Please let us know when you lock in your planning!

Me and Claudia will most definitely be in Santiago on Dec 25th on our way back from Finistere.

Ultreia!

Slight change of plans. I'll be starting from SJPP on 16/11 all the way to Finistere

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Partly booked. Earliest start would be October 23. Would start at Roncesvalles or Pamplona. I'm a very slow walker.

Planning to leave for the Frances November 11. Official start of Carnival....

|That's awesome! Please let us know when you lock in your planning!

Me and Claudia will most definitely be in Santiago on Dec 25th on our way back from Finistere.

Ultreia!

OK, so the plane tickets are all booked - there's no turning back now.

I leave St Jean on 11 November arriving in Santiago around 32-33 days later. Then it's on a bus to Porto, with a view to walking back into Santiago on Christmas Day.

After that, I'd like to spend a few days getting to Finisterre and Muxia, so maybe it's New Years Eve in Santiago too!

Can't wait.

OK, so the plane tickets are all booked - there's no turning back now.

I leave St Jean on 11 November arriving in Santiago around 32-33 days later. Then it's on a bus to Porto, with a view to walking back into Santiago on Christmas Day.

After that, I'd like to spend a few days getting to Finisterre and Muxia, so maybe it's New Years Eve in Santiago too!

Can't wait.

Wicked!!! I understand how awesome it is after flight tickets are set and you have to start your actual planning!

It's very likely we will run into each-other along the Camino Frances, which I'll join in Puente la Reina around nov 23rd. I'll be way behind you but, we are fast walkers... I'll be hitting Santiago around Dec 21st, then off to Muxia and Finistere. Plan to be back on Santiago on Christmas morning for the Christmas mass.

By the way: I might have to ask this in a different thread but maybe some of our fellow regular contributors will have the answer for me. Do you think I can get a bus from Finistere to Santiago on Christmas Morning 25th of december. It'll be christmas and it'll be Sunday! :eek::eek::confused:

Walking from Hospital de Orbigo to Finisterre from 3rd December. 2 weeks only and no fan of the outskirts of Leon so plan to catch a bus to HdO and begin from there.

Not sure on the Albergue situation between Astorga-Rabanal in winter so might be a short first day into Astorga

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We started on 1st March 2015 and it was cold then. December i would think would be freezing and a lot of snow.

Hello everyone! I have one of those "how´s the weather going to be like...." questions. I am wondering about weather conditions in late oct and november, and maybe december. The information I have gathered is that the weather at this time can be varible. Be prepared for cold, snow and rain. I come from north Scandinavia so I´m used to all kinds of weather. But i´m also wondering about the fog. I know the way streches many different geographical areas, but is it prone to be very foggy on any parts at this time a year???

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't remember any fog at all on the CF, perhaps some light morning mist, but nothing worse. Buen Camino, SY

Arriving in SJPP on 8th Nov, start walking on the 9th Nov from there

Will start mid Dec till Mid Jan.
Hope to know if someone has plan on this period.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Arriving in SJPP on 8th Nov, start walking on the 9th Nov from there
Hi There! I've added you for starting on the 9th!
You'll be in Puente la REina on the 12th, and I'll be there on the 23rd so, I'll be behind you little more than a week!

Buen Camino and Ultreia!

Reactions: Rsk
Will start mid Dec till Mid Jan.
Hope to know if someone has plan on this period.
Hi Nazanin! I've listed you to start on Dec 15th from SjpP. Let me know when you lock in a date and place of start!

Ultreia and Happy Planning!!

Hi

Am booked to walk from Porto to Santiago from 24/11/2116..... hope there will be others with similar plans!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi again !
so i had to change my dates and finally got my ticket in Nov 19 . I will probably start Nov21 from San Sebastian .
I'm thinking to bering a tent , in case if alberguse will be close.
Please let me know if anyone is going to starts around this date , thinking being the only one in all track makes me nervous a bit as it is my first Camino !!

Cheers!

@Nazanin I really would suggest you start a new thread asking for experiences/advice about doing the Camino del Norte in winter. I personally wouldn't do it. Also, do you have experience with winter camping? The tent is only 1/3 of your camping equipment, the sleeping pad and bag the other two. Buen Camino, SY

@Nazanin I really would suggest you start a new thread asking for experiences/advice about doing the Camino del Norte in winter. I personally wouldn't do it. Also, do you have experience with winter camping? The tent is only 1/3 of your camping equipment, the sleeping pad and bag the other two. Buen Camino, SY
I Have a good sleeping bag and pad , conceening weather , how cold it could get ? i have exprience in about 0 temp in Austria mountains .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You really need to ask somebody that has done it in this time of the year, but from my experience living in Spain I would say that rain and fog together with wind might be more common then 'dry cold' and 'wet cold' is more dangerous (hypothermia) as, together with the wind, rids the body quicker of its warmth. So, good rain gear would be also high on the list.

I had a look here https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/ for January this year (meaning they walked in November/December) and the numbers of pilgrims for each Camino that arrived in Santiago and asked for a Compostela are:

Camino Francés 862
Camino Portugues 217
Camino Primitivo 66
Camino Ingles 60
Camino del Norte 45
etc.

So, it has been done, only you can know if you want to do it and if you would enjoy it. For a first Camino in winter, I personally would choose the Camino Frances, both for its better infrastructure and history, but in the end it is your decision. Guten Weg, SY

You really need to ask somebody that has done it in this time of the year, but from my experience living in Spain I would say that rain and fog together with wind might be more common then 'dry cold' and 'wet cold' is more dangerous (hypothermia) as, together with the wind, rids the body quicker of its warmth. So, good rain gear would be also high on the list.

I had a look here https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/ for January this year (meaning they walked in November/December) and the numbers of pilgrims for each Camino that arrived in Santiago and asked for a Compostela are:

Camino Francés 862
Camino Portugues 217
Camino Primitivo 66
Camino Ingles 60
Camino del Norte 45
etc.

So, it has been done, only you can know if you want to do it and if you would enjoy it. For a first Camino in winter, I personally would choose the Camino Frances, both for its better infrastructure and history, but in the end it is your decision. Guten Weg, SY
Thank you for such a helpful info ! you actually changed my mind , because im good in dry cold not in wet cold!
Just one last question , Camino Frances i St.James route right ? Do you think i will need a tent in this Camino ? The only imagination that i have from this Camino is based on movie 'The Way;' and if the route is the same as in the movie , then i guess there should be enough Albergues in the way .

Cheers!

Thank you for such a helpful info ! you actually changed my mind , because im good in dry cold not in wet cold!
Just one last question , Camino Frances i St.James route right ? Do you think i will need a tent in this Camino ? The only imagination that i have from this Camino is based on movie 'The Way;' and if the route is the same as in the movie , then i guess there should be enough Albergues in the way .

Cheers!

No, no need for a tent, but keep an eye on http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ to see which albergues will be closed/open. Guten Weg, SY

We (3) will be starting the Camino Portugues in Lisbon this year Nov. 2nd. This is my 4th Camino started in November and all have been fantastic. Last year the Norte and had good weather into December (2 or 3 frosty mornings). A Norte friend split onto the Primitivo and had a very good experience there as well. There are other pilgrims out there, especially on the Frances, and in my experience sufficient places to stay without camping.

Buen Camino!

No, no need for a tent, but keep an eye on http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ to see which albergues will be closed/open. Guten Weg, SY
There's normally an updated list in the albergues - have to be especially careful to make sure where is open 24/25 dec, 31 dec, Jan 1 and Jan 6, as a lot of places shut on these days - oh and most shops, etc are shut Dec 25, Jan 1 and Jan 6.

At this stage I might either be departing from SJPP on CF on Nov 16th or 17th

Departing Burgos on January 2 - walking the Meseta to Astorga (or maybe just Leon depending on the cold).

Not expecting to see many other pilgrims/masochists out there at the same time...

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Camino Francés 862
Camino Portugues 217
Camino Primitivo 66
Camino Ingles 60
Camino del Norte 45
etc.

Hi all,

I will be walking Dec 23-Jan 3 and am undecided as to what route to take. I did the VLDP in 2015 and want to get back on the trail. Was thinking either Porto to Santiago on the Camino Portugues, or Malaga to Cordoba on the Camino Mozarabe. Does anyone have any expereince with these routes in this time of year? It seems lots of people walk the Camino Portuguese this time of year.

Thanks,
Ariel

I seriously doubt that "lots of people" walk Camino Portuguese in winter. That time of the year would be close to perfect to walk the Camino Francés, for example starting in Ponferrada - easily reached by public transport. Buen Camino,

Hi all! I'll be heading out on the Camino from Pamplona on about 4 November after flying from the US! This is my first time on the Camino, but it's been a life-long dream of mine to complete it! I hope to see some of y'all out there!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I will arrive in Bilbao on Oct 31 and plan to walk the Norte - first Camino. Super excited. Hands waving - is that ok? I don't see a thread for the handful of Norte walkers in Nov/Dec.

Mary Anne

Last edited:

€149,-
Sorry, but you are misleading here a bit! The high road is closed (officially!) from October to March (or longer depending on the weather. And closed means closed, no matter how experienced a pilgrim is. During winter the route via Valcarlos is the only available one. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you for this!

Hi everyone, I will start the camino on November 5, is somebody else leaving from San jean? I hope don't be alone

We are two people walking the Camino starting in SJPDP on Nov 13. We hope to finish in Santiago de Compostella on Dec 12.

I'll start my camino on 19DEC from SJPP.

However, my plain will be CDG 07:00 to BIQ 08:30 (Biarritz), then take train from Bayonne to SJPP.
Therefore, when I get ready to leave SJPP, should be around 11:00 to 12:00.
Originally, I plan to stay at Orisson Refuge but the website shows it only "open from April to October"
So, I am not sure is it possible to arrive Roncesvalles within 1 day (late departure....).

Any suggestion from all of you?
Should I stay in SJPP for 1 night and leave in the morning next day?
Or just follow the plan to leave SJPP around the noon time?

However, my plain will be CDG 07:00 to BIQ 08:30 (Biarritz), then take train from Bayonne to SJPP.
Originally, I plan to stay at Orisson Refuge but the website shows it only "open from April to October"
So, I am not sure is it possible to arrive Roncesvalles within 1 day (late departure....).

The Napoleon route which passes by Orisson will be closed for the winter from 1 November to 1 April. The Valcarlos alternate route is the only way open in winter. You will be able to walk from SJPdP to Valcarlos in a few hours weather permiting, spend the night in Valcarlos and continue on the alternate route to Roncesvalles monastery the next day.

Be sure to read the many useful posts and tips cited above in this Forum thread re walking in winter.

For more on the Valcarlos route see this earlier Forum thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Be prepared, stay safe and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The Napoleon route which passe by Orisson will be closed for the winter for 1 November to 1 April. The Valcarlos alternate route is the only way open in winter. Yu will be able to walk from SJPdP to Valcarlos in a few hours weather permiting, spend the night in Valcarlos and continue on the alternate route to Roncesvalles monastery the next day.

Be sure to read the many useful posts and tips cited above in this Forum thread re walking in winter.

For more on the Valcarlos route see this earlier Forum thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Be prepared, stay safe and Buen camino!

Really really thanks for your useful advise! I have to admit that I didn't read the old posts :p

Hi everyone, I will start the camino on November 5, is somebody else leaving from San jean? I hope don't be alone
Hey @Jahaira Henao 10 days to go! Is everything set and ready?
I have added you to the list;
@janewang is also schedule to start in SJpP on nov 5th! You two my bump into each other...

Hope you have a wonderful Camino!;)

We are two people walking the Camino starting in SJPDP on Nov 13. We hope to finish in Santiago de Compostella on Dec 12.
Hi there @AlohaAL !!! I have added you to the list! Hope you'll have an awesome journey! When you hit Santiago I'll probably be somewhere around Galicia!

:cool:;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hey @smallove ! Just added you to the list! I might be arriving in Santiago the day you leave in SJpP!

Buen Camino!:D

I hope this is true. I enjoy the mingling with pilgrims and sharing stories. I hope to record some podcasts during our camino (see above for dates and places we'll be on the way) and would LOVE to chat with other pilgrims as part of it, to give a sense of what the camino is like during winter.

If anyone is interested in participating (and we run into one another), please let me know

Can I (and my wife) be added to the list please?
Hey mate !

When are you guys leaving and from where ?

I'd love to join the talks for a winter camino !

Ultreya !

Hey mate !

When are you guys leaving and from where ?

I'd love to join the talks for a winter camino !

Ultreya !
Sorry, it was above - Jan 2 from Burgos to Astorga only this time around. If you're in that area, would love to chat

Cheers

David

Can you please add me to the list? I will be doing the Norte - I arrive in Bilbao on Oct 31 and will visit Gaztelugatxe before setting off on Nov 1.

Mary Anne

Sorry, it was above - Jan 2 from Burgos to Astorga only this time around. If you're in that area, would love to chat

Cheers

David

@davkel Added mate!

Buen Camino!

I\ll be leaving Spain just after christmas this time!

Can you please add me to the list? I will be doing the Norte - I arrive in Bilbao on Oct 31 and will visit Gaztelugatxe before setting off on Nov 1.

Mary Anne
Hi @MaryAnneS Just added you to the list! Just a few days to go! It's as if you were already there!

Ultreia!

What about you?

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================
Jan 29 Ger.vieira.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

What about you?

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================
Jan 30 @Ger.vieira CF

Walking from Hospital de Orbigo to Finisterre from 3rd December. 2 weeks only and no fan of the outskirts of Leon so plan to catch a bus to HdO and begin from there.

Not sure on the Albergue situation between Astorga-Rabanal in winter so might be a short first day into Astorga
Hey @Sarah80 ! I finished my first half of the Camino in Hospital de Orbigo in September and I'll be going back there this Saturday to finish! My recommendation if you're not into walking out of Leon is that you wouln't catch a bus quite as far... Walking into HdO was one of the most beautiful moments of my camino, even though it was raining like hell! Some fellow pilgrims caught a cab to Virgen del Camino and it was nice walking after that. I hope you'll stay dry! :)

For the list, I'll be starting the end of my CF to Finisterra from Hospital de Orbigo on Nov 13! :)

if you mean december i might meet you. i walk from the 9th of January from astorga.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be in SJPP tomorrow, on schedule after near miss delays with the plane trips. Looking to either start walking either 15th or 16th

What about you?

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================

What about you?

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================

Hello there!
I am new to this forum. I have had the Camino on my bucket list for a while and I just decided to do it! I am currently doing my research and plan on booking my flight in the next few days. I should be out on the Camino Frances in about a week!!! YAY! I am so nervous but excited!!! So much to do to get ready! YIKES! I can't believe I am actually doing this!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Cheers!

Nazanin- Hello
I am new to this forum and am making plans to do the camino for the first time too! I will be starting at CF. I will have the dates finalized in a few days but it looks like Nov. 19 or Nov. 23. Maybe we will see each other! :)

I will be arriving in Madrid on January 10, 2017 - coming from Mississippi in the United States. I hope to start the Camino Frances in Burgos and will be finishing up in Santiago de Compostela on January 28.

What about you?

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================

It's official! My first camino will be Jan 01 - Camino Frances - Sarria

Last edited:
Hi ho
I am very excited to walk soon. Originally I wanted to start on 9th of January in astorga but things changed! My Camino family from last year decided they want to walk again too so we meeting up again with some of them! I will be starting to walk on the 3 ed of January in astorga to meet them on 9th in sarria. If you around this time try to find us we love to walk with new people and have some fun in the evenings. Look out for a tall California guy a short German girl a short Australia guy and a short American girl with an octopus on the back pack. Hopefully we will meet some of you on the way or in Santiago around the 14/15 January for a Camino celebration
Andrea

I am planning on walking the camino frances from SJPDP mid January. Really looking forward to the hike. Thoughts on carrying a GPS device in case of emergency outside of towns? Thoughts on crossing the Pyrenees that time of year?

What about you?

Ultreya!

========================
CF=Camino Frances
CA= Camino Aragones
CN= Camino del Norte
CP= Camino Portugues
========================

I am planning on walking the camino frances from SJPDP mid January. Really looking forward to the hike. Thoughts on carrying a GPS device in case of emergency outside of towns? Thoughts on crossing the Pyrenees that time of year?

Better carry a mobile (and make sure it is charged!) and call 112 in emergencies ;-)
The Route Napoleon is closed form November to March inclusive, but the way via Valcarlos is normally doable in winter, if there is too much snow just follow the road AND always check with the pilgrims office in SJPdP the day before regarding current conditions.

Buen Camino, SY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back