• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 Registrations - European Peace Walk

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We're planning to walk in 2016 but I was hoping for walking in cooler months. Oh well, I guess if I survived the Meseta, central Portugal and Los Monegros, I should be okay on the EPW.

We're planning to walk in 2016 but I was hoping for walking in cooler months. Oh well, I guess if I survived the Meseta, central Portugal and Los Monegros, I should be okay on the EPW.
Yesterday I checked the August temperatures in Vienna for this year so far. There were 3 or 4 days in the thirties, the rest in the low twenties up to thirty.
I came to the same conclusion. I hate the heat but I figure I'll just have to handle it. Maybe even cheat a little.
But I'll probably look to get into the last group leaving Vienna in late July.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm following @RoamFarAndWide blog on this year EPW and it seems quite tempting to me in addition that I live in Slovenia (in its capital Ljubljana) through which at least half of the EPW runs. It was my plan for next year to walk Slovenian Camino de Santiago but might change my mind and switch for EPW :)

I saw a video link of the stages which contains promotional clips of (just) 12 cities along the EPW:
and wasn't really happy with the clip about Ljubljana.
I would recommend this short video shot 2 years ago (I also contributed in its production as an assistant director):

Maybe we'll meet next year ;)

Last edited:
For those forum members considering the EPW in 2016, some thoughts after following the RoamFar blog: please be aware the EPW is still evidently a project in development. The organizers attempted to reduce the daily distances somewhat this year, but in many cases were not successful. Some days are 40 km, although the written guide materials are apparently not very straightforward about that. Some forum members have only experience of the Camino Frances in Spain - and that level of infrastructure (lodging, restaurants, shops) is 1000 times what one encounters on the EPW. Even for those who have walked in central Europe, the EPW (at least through Hungary) runs through the former depopulated borderlands, and has maybe 2% of the infrastructure in Bavaria. There simply are not shops and restaurants except in the very large towns.

I'm going to give them a few more years for the project to progress in its development. If I were to walk in 2016, I would plan on taking several days' food with me, starting in Vienna, as well as taking a decent sized water bladder. And I would bring several friends!

For those forum members considering the EPW in 2016, some thoughts after following the RoamFar blog: please be aware the EPW is still evidently a project in development. The organizers attempted to reduce the daily distances somewhat this year, but in many cases were not successful. Some days are 40 km, although the written guide materials are apparently not very straightforward about that. Some forum members have only experience of the Camino Frances in Spain - and that level of infrastructure (lodging, restaurants, shops) is 1000 times what one encounters on the EPW. Even for those who have walked in central Europe, the EPW (at least through Hungary) runs through the former depopulated borderlands, and has maybe 2% of the infrastructure in Bavaria. There simply are not shops and restaurants except in the very large towns.

I'm going to give them a few more years for the project to progress in its development. If I were to walk in 2016, I would plan on taking several days' food with me, starting in Vienna, as well as taking a decent sized water bladder. And I would bring several friends!
Completely agree as I live relatively close to that area and know some of the "problems" for walkers.

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For 2016, they have added 8 start days in late May - early June. Shouldn't be too hot..

Last edited:
Just so everybody is clear as to the dates available to start the 2016 EPW.
In 2016 there are 3 separate and distinct blocks of 8 days on which walkers can leave Vienna.
One early summer, one mid, one late.

May 28/29/30/31 June 1/2/3/4
June 28/29/30 July 1/2/3/4/5
July 28/29/30/32 Aug 1/2/3/4

On NO other dates will registered walkers be eligible to start.

Regds
Gerard

Thanks for advice. I'm registered to do EPW in 2016 and am a little concerned after reading RoamFarWide blog.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Surely there's a way to walk from Vienna to Varazdin (Croatia) without going through Hungary. The floor is open for suggestions.

I note that as previously, maps, guidebook, and the exact route will not be provided to walkers until just before the start of the EPW2016.

I note that as previously, maps, guidebook, and the exact route will not be provided to walkers until just before the start of the EPW2016.
I kind of don't like that at all!!! Now when I'm reading @RoamFarAndWide blog I can see it's real and true but otherwise it would be very fishy to me!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Surely there's a way to walk from Vienna to Varazdin (Croatia) without going through Hungary. The floor is open for suggestions.
Do you mean if that's possible at all or if there's a historical route?

I know there's so-called "Hungarian" branch of Slovenian St.James Way that goes from around Dobrovnik down SW to Ljubljana, but @lovingkindness walked in reverse from Ljubljana NE to Maribor and then to Hungary/Austria. But don't know about Varaždin though...

I kind of don't like that at all!!! Now when I'm reading @RoamFarAndWide blog I can see it's real and true but otherwise it would be very fishy to me!
As a brand new route in the making, I believe the Organizers are trying to address issues like distances between towns, some uncaring hosts and non-walking stages. It takes time to do that. They can't give exact route and stage information until they have finalised it, no?

As a brand new route in the making, I believe the Organizers are trying to address issues like distances between towns, some uncaring hosts and non-walking stages. It takes time to do that. They can't give exact route and stage information until they have finalised it, no?
"I can see it's real and true but otherwise it would be very fishy to me"
Sorry if I haven't been really clear, but English isn't my mothers language. I do live nearby though!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Now, I'm not walking the EPW in 2015, so I'm not personally in receipt of the organizer's directions. But it's obvious that the route and stage information provided to this year's walkers has not been exact or accurate. It's one thing to have difficulty with establishing routes with shorter stages; it's quite another to mislead people as to actual distances, and quality and availability of food.

I completed the EPW this year, our longest day was 33km and we always knew the day before if we needed to carry food for the day for if food and drink would be available during the day. Had an amazing journey.

I completed the EPW this year, our longest day was 33km and we always knew the day before if we needed to carry food for the day for if food and drink would be available during the day. Had an amazing journey.
I'm very glad you've had a good EPW walk! The remainder of us have only the RoamFar blog experiences as information. Perhaps you can speak to the specific issues and problematic segments she reports? Having an additional English-language report would be very helpful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Now, I'm not walking the EPW in 2015, so I'm not personally in receipt of the organizer's directions. But it's obvious that the route and stage information provided to this year's walkers has not been exact or accurate. It's one thing to have difficulty with establishing routes with shorter stages; it's quite another to mislead people as to actual distances, and quality and availability of food.
I could be wrong but I recall seeing that RF&W was using a pedometer of sorts to measure distances. Those are rarely accurate. I tried to figure out a few stages looking at Google maps and I had a hard time figuring out how some stages could be as long as she measured. I'm not ready to say the organizers mislead anyone on distances.

I also started reading the blog (which I did and still find very useful) with a grain of salt after I saw something about expectations of a more "Camino-like experience". Expectations color ones opinion greatly. I bet someone who reads her blog and walks next year will be pleasantly surprised and overall happy.

This is typical of the few walks we have here in Quebec: it's a way to generate revenue for those who have pit all the information together.

I'm very glad you've had a good EPW walk! The remainder of us have only the RoamFar blog experiences as information. Perhaps you can speak to the specific issues and problematic segments she reports? Having an additional English-language report would be very helpful.
Check out the Facebook page "epwalkers" this page is for people who walked in 2015, also the "euro peace walk" has comments from 2015 walkers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's neither a pilgrimage nor a camino. It's more of a long hard walk in the countryside with a guaranteed bed at the end of the day. The accommodations are varied in style, but mostly exceedingly hospitable.

Few walk all of the trail. Most take buses or trains at some point to keep up with the schedule. Some people veer off to visit other towns and rejoin.

You may not see another person all day long. If you are walking with members of your 'group', you may be okay with that. The trail may skirt villages, but rarely goes into them - it's a guess which has services (although I think the organizers are working on that info).

A cell phone is advisable, in case you get hurt. Unlike the camino, where someone is likely to come along in a few minutes or hour, this trail is not commonly used and you may not be able to rely on someone coming across you in distress.

You may spend considerable time (at times) searching for markers to confirm a direction. Trail markers and directions are a work in progress. Distances are commonly further than advertised. We speculated it was a miles-km mix-up. Having a good map or map app is advisable.

There is a core group who adore the EPW and some have done it both years and plan to go back again.

Some of the changes planned for next year seem promising, like the May departures, which should help with heat and ragweed pollen.

Yesterday I checked the August temperatures in Vienna for this year so far. There were 3 or 4 days in the thirties, the rest in the low twenties up to thirty.
I came to the same conclusion. I hate the heat but I figure I'll just have to handle it. Maybe even cheat a little.
But I'll probably look to get into the last group leaving Vienna in late July.
Regds
Gerard
Sorry Gerard, but there was a couple of weeks of temps in the high 30's. I only was on the route from the 5th to 13th or so but walkers were leaving 4:30-5:00 to beat the heat. It was quite brutal.

Sorry Gerard, but there was a couple of weeks of temps in the high 30's. I only was on the route from the 5th to 13th or so but walkers were leaving 4:30-5:00 to beat the heat. It was quite brutal.
Thanks very very much for that. Nothing like getting info from the coal face.
For someone like me who doesn't appreciate high temperatures it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
Maybe I'll redirect my anticipation towards Portugal or The Voie Littorale.
Regds
Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I completed the EPW this year and enjoyed the experience. Yes, it was hot and some days were hard-going but I was lucky to walk with a congenial group of people (11 started and more joined us) who helped make the walk truly memorable. For me, it was a much more sociable experience than the Chemin Le Puy which I walked and enjoyed last year. The section through Hungary was not scenic but the people were friendly and the history of the place was palpable. The countryside in Croatia was much more interesting and at times quite stunning in Slovenia. We had some unforgettable experiences along the way such as the long hot day in Croatia where different people we met offered us cherry liquor at 10am, arak or something similar at 11am and white wine as we lay under a tree for lunch. There was never any lack of hospitality.

If I was doing it again I would probably take time to see Zagreb and perhaps stay longer in Verazdin and Brezice. I wouldn’t do this walk alone even if for no other reason than you need more than one set of eyes to see all the red arrows. I would recommend this walk but it is not a stroll in the park.

I haven't walked the European Peace Walk because, however attractive it is, I already walked much of it on my way to Jerusalem. I would say though that I recommend walking through those countries, I can't find the words, even a year later, to tell how wonderful it was. All I wish is to be able to do it again one day. But yes, sometimes there are long distances. It is no walk in the park but oh, so worth it, every bit of it.
Ultreia!

Well, I signed up for May 31. I will be there in Europe and that seems like a pretty cool way to spend time. I am a bit worried about being solo but hopefully the other walkers will be friendly?

Well, I signed up for May 31. I will be there in Europe and that seems like a pretty cool way to spend time. I am a bit worried about being solo but hopefully the other walkers will be friendly?
I don't know about other walkers but I do know that our folks (in Slovenia) are very friendly. If you meet someone that isn't just tell him/her would have to deal with me ;)

Ultreia!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There is a group on Facebook called EPWalkers - you might be able to make contact with other walkers who are due at the same time as you. :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back