• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 Season: How are the crowds so far?

rfii

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning
Anyone have any idea how the conditions are so far? Or even better, specifically right now?

About to start and curious. Saw these stats for the previous years

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anyone have any idea how the conditions are so far? Or even better, specifically right now?

Browse the forum and you'll get the idea :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Earlier in the year there were reports of crowding but I did not experience any problems when I walked in May; in fact I was surprised at how easy it was. September is usually quite a busy month but October is not. If it were me, @rfii, I would not be booking ahead until the last 100 km.

In May there where about 6500 more Compostela's
In June there where about 4000 more Compostela's
In July there where about 700 more Compostela's
In Augustus there where about 1100 more Compostela's

Wish you well , Peter.

Every town I have been through it seems that albergues have been full to capacity. I can't compare to any other years since this is my first, but it seems to be busy.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first week in Sep was very busy this year and I am still in the wave. Accomodation was very difficult to obtain after 3pm. Currently at Burgos.

In between Burgos and Leon, there have been several villages with all Albergues completo by 4:30 pm. Not sure re hotels in the same
No rushes but different choices if pushing it late
Nanc
Edit: this too is between "stages"

Last edited:
I walked the 'inbetween' stages this year 8/8 - 3/9 and had no trouble getting accommodation. I was in a party of three and we only booked if there was a specific albergue we wanted to stay in. I would advise against booking ahead unless you are sure you will be able to make the destination. We did so on 3 occasions and due to various circumstances we couldn't make the distances and ended up loosing our bookings and our payment (hotels in larger cities).
Also I spoke to a hospitalero who worked near the French border on the Spanish side. He suggested that although the numbers receiving their compostellas was up at Santiago, the numbers travelling from SJPP or Roncesvalles were not up significantly. This my suggest that it is on the later stages that the numbers increase.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Crowds were great in June and July. People were friendly, lively, and fun to be around; even those we could not communicate with linguistically.

Don't worry about the crowds!! Albergue's are opening all the time.

Buen Camino!! The people (crowds) are what make the Frances route so darned attractive :)

--Charles

Sitting in Azofra right now and it doesn't seem that busy. But it was very busy the first few days. Roncesvalles was full on 2nd and 3rd. Zubiri were using their overflow on the fourth.
Things slowed a bit after Pamplona but I think this will be the first night we have stayed in a place that is not completo.

Until pamplona walking was extremely busy during the mornings even at 6 am there wasn't a time I could turn around without seeing a line of pilgrims behind.

I'm finding it very busy so I'm setting off early in the morning leaving by 7am or earlier (sunrise is 7.45) having breakfast along the way and stopping walking at 1/2pm on two occasions I got the last bed....it feels quite pressured...

I would be taking a deep breath, spending a day sitting in the plaza drinking coffee and not walking, and then doing short days. The wave will pass.

I'm finding it very busy so I'm setting off early in the morning leaving by 7am or earlier (sunrise is 7.45) having breakfast along the way and stopping walking at 1/2pm on two occasions I got the last bed....it feels quite pressured...
Oh, my, I have never ever started walking before 8AM.

I don't want to go into someone's way of doing things, but you really might reconsider @Kanga 's post. Make a half-stage and get yourself out of the wave if you think that's what it is you definitely aren't looking for.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last weekend had over 5,000 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This week has been about 1,000 per day for compostelas. San Martin de Pinario is fully booked for pilgrims for the next two weeks. If you look on booking.com, Santiago is well booked, as are Portomarin, Melide, and Sarria.

I am not surprised that it is currently crowded close to Santiago. For those starting from SJPDP now, in late September, and not arriving in Santiago until late October, it should be fine.

I am starting in St Jean next week going via Valcarlos ... Staying overnight ... Worried everyone will go via ORISSON and I will be walking alone :rolleyes:.... I know this will probably feel rediculous in hind sight .....

Anne

We a
Oh, my, I have never ever started walking before 8AM.

I don't want to go into someone's way of doing things, but you really might reconsider @Kanga 's post. Make a half-stage and get yourself out of the wave if you think that's what it is you definitely aren't looking for.
We are doing half stages quite often but it's a deep wave we're in and seems to not be abating at the moment. Perhaps it's also something to do with all the Fiestas we're walking through? I'm in Logrono now arrived early from Viana so easy to get a room- however looking at the reservations book they look booked up way in advance. Before I came I had an 'impression' that most pilgrims walked and arrived and took what came.... this is what I hoped to do. For me this has worked partly but only if I can arrive somewhere by 1pm if I want to arrive at 4/5pm I must now book ahead.

Last edited:
We a

We are doing half stages quite often but it's a deep wave we're in and seems to not be abating at the moment. Perhaps it's also something to do with all the Fiestas we're walking through? I'm in Longono now arrived early from Viana so easy to get a room- however looking at the reservations book they look booked up way in advance. Before I came I had an 'impression' that most pilgrims walked and arrived and took what came.... this is what I hoped to do. For me this has worked partly but only if I can arrive somewhere by 1pm if I want to arrive at 4/5pm I must now book ahead.
Hi,

I think @Kathar1na partly answered already. In La Rioja province (one of the most prominent wine regions of Spain) where you are at the moment there is a full season of picking grapes and I'm sure there will be fiestas going on and on. Also Logrono is known as a party town due to it's many tapas bars on Laurel Street (and others of course). So plan accordingly.

Buen Camino and do enjoy fiesta here and there ;)

Hi,

I think @Kathar1na partly answered already. In La Rioja province (one of the most prominent wine regions of Spain) where you are at the moment there is a full season of picking grapes and I'm sure there will be fiestas going on and on. Also Logrono is known as a party town due to it's many tapas bars on Laurel Street (and others of course). So plan accordingly.

Buen Camino and do enjoy fiesta here and there ;)
We are planning to eat mucho Tapas tonight ha ha and a rest day tomorrow so now we have a good plan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Extremely helpful! Thank you all. I am arriving on SJPDP on Friday night hoping to make it Roncesvalles (via slow mountain bike) on Saturday

Just done one week St jpdp to Estella. Alberges full later in the days but ok if arriving around 2pm. Burgos full last night. I stayed in a pricy hotel $70 night gulp but soaked in a bath til late and took off with the shampoo and soaps for later pilgrims in Alberge stops. It's definately a busy Camino at present
limited internet right now. Would really appreciate it if you just told me

I am starting in St Jean next week going via Valcarlos ... Staying overnight ... Worried everyone will go via ORISSON and I will be walking alone :rolleyes:.... I know this will probably feel rediculous in hind sight .....

Anne
Annie, I'm with you as are many others I'm sure. Lots of good people will be there too. No worries.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would be taking a deep breath, spending a day sitting in the plaza drinking coffee and not walking, and then doing short days. The wave will pass.
I don't think it will pass anytime soon. We got behind due to feet issues and the people coming up reported the same days later out of Roncesvalles.
We took a bus 40k into burgos so effectively caught up two days and it's still completo in most if not all of Castrojeriz.
Booking the night before or early in the day is working fine. Anyone getting in to a town late and wanting a bed is pushing their luck.
Seeming a bit busier again during the morning but the weather has cooled off so I think people are leaving around the same time of day

... We took a bus 40k into burgos so effectively caught up two days and it's still completo in most if not all of Castrojeriz...

Meaning, effectively, you have caught up with the wave/bubble, not let it pass by. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From what I'm reading it seems like the first and second week of September are quite busy. I thought it had slowed down by then. Is mid to late September better?

From what I'm reading it seems like the first and second week of September are quite busy. I thought it had slowed down by then. Is mid to late September better?
If you are talking about departures from SJPP, here is a link to a recent thread in which there is a discussion. In post #68, @MileHighPair posted a graph that shows the departures for each week of 2015. Weeks 36/37 are mid-September.

EDIT: I had some trouble getting links right, but I think it is now fixed.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The hospitalero in Roncesvalles that we spoke to said first two weeks of September are generally very busy and it usually much quieter after that.
Hope that helps

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Staying tonight in a small but lovely apartment €40 for two people- San Roque 18 in Santo Domingo (via Booking.com) we needed a rest and enjoyed shopping for food €9 including wine! We made a healthy dinner used the Washing machine WiFi etc and will have a peaceful night with no snoring or loud talkers.....! Tomorrow it's back to a €10 Albergue booked over the phone.... and I've stocked up on ear plugs again

Last edited:
Well if are there you know how bad it is. Went forward back all around. Completo was the word the day. Not the Camino I remember but people do it their own way. God Bless I'm off to a different trek.

Back here at navarrette things still seem OK ... But I guess if I jump ahead thee will be a problem .... But still enjoying the experience ... The people ... The wine :rolleyes::D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It thinned out a bit after Burgos but still everywhere is booked up..... I think due to smart phones and the ease of booking.com or simply emails forward to the Albergues. I'm now in a rhythm like many others- when I arrive I assess how far I will go the next day and I then use gronze.com to find a place and either book via a link or send an email or reserve via the website provided. I only book one day ahead unless it's a big town eg Leon or a weekend. This is working for me but isn't what I expected to do and has taken something away from the experience. Others continue to walk and arrive and take what bed they can but it is risky if like me I can't walk quickly or very far at the moment due to an injury.

This is working for me but isn't what I expected to do and has taken something away from the experience.
Wise. Very wise. It does no good to rant or worry about the number of pilgrims. As things change, pilgrims must adapt. The "competition" has become the baggage service, not other people. Unless you like walking around to find a bed (which will work 99.9% of the time even with lots of pilgrims), ease your mind and call ahead as those who need a destination for their baggage are doing. No one can take away from your experience; your expectations can make that experience, whatever it is, great or terrible, and YOU are in control of that. Buen camino, and have fun! :)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back