• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 September/October Peregrinos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, last night I was told that I would never make the Camino, that Im so out of shape there is no way to get in shap in 9 months to do the walk. I feel a little disheartened that someone would tell me that. I feel it in my heart that I can and that now that my children are grown I need to live my live and this journey is to find my purpose in life now that its just me and my mother.

Sorry, just venting, i feel I needed to share this with others that have done the Camino, others that may be seekers like me

@Cecy - dont let those negative thoughts get into your head!

I was 50 and I'm not at all a 'sportive' build, as a french lady told me! I had recovered from a bout of cancer a few years before and when I was feeling healthy and well and I wanted to walk... just because I could. (in that I mean I'm alive and I wanted to feel alive).

My husband was very suportive but a little concerned that maybe I'd given myself too big a challenge. I am not the kind of girl that goes walking. I don't like communal showers or shared dorms and I run from dogs and bees... I'm scared of most things, including the dark and I'm a tad picky with my food. Added to this I take drugs every day and had a few obstacles to ensure I stayed well... although nothing major.

Anyway, everyone else I knew thought I would fail or that I was mad. My french neighbours (who are lovely lovely people) invited me to dinner with friends and spent 2 hours telling me how irresponsible I was being. I sing in a band and the guys had a book running for when I would quit... no-one thought I would finish and several friends told me I was being selfish because of the health aspect. People really were not thrilled at the prospect of me going and most tried to put me off.

I tried to ignore it all. I started walking 9 months before, 2 or 3 times a week, walking first 4-5km and building up to regularly walking 10-15km. My biggest headache was shoes! (DONT GET ME STARTED).

I told my doctor and he made me have a health check before I left, before he would give me a 2 month prescription... but that went well. I went away a few weeks before with my husband walking and that didn't go too well and I panicked and changed my start from St Jean to Roncesvalles... but that was it... I was off.

And let me tell you, I had the greatest adventure! You can read about here if you want. (you need to scroll down to start at the begining) https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/

I'm now hooked on long distance walking, three of my friends are planning their own camino, I'm planning my third camino for september and we're now planning holidays on other trails... and even thinking of maybe taking a tent and going even more into the unknown!

@Cecy - bascially, walk your own walk... plan, prepare and learn and just go and walk and I hope you have an amazing time!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I was 50 and I'm not at all a 'sportive' build, as a french lady told me! I had recovered from a bout of cancer a few years before and when I was feeling healthy and well and I wanted to walk... just because I could. (in that I mean I'm alive and I wanted to feel alive).

My husband was very suportive but a little concerned that maybe I'd given myself too big a challenge. I am not the kind of girl that goes walking. I don't like communal showers or shared dorms and I run from dogs and bees... I'm scared of most things, including the dark and I'm a tad picky with my food. Added to this I take drugs every day and had a few obstacles to ensure I stayed well... although nothing major.

Anyway, everyone else I knew thought I would fail or that I was mad. My french neighbours (who are lovely lovely people) invited me to dinner with friends and spent 2 hours telling me how irresponsible I was being. I sing in a band and the guys had a book running for when I would quit... no-one thought I would finish and several friends told me I was being selfish because of the health aspect. People really were not thrilled at the prospect of me going and most tried to put me off.

I tried to ignore it all. I started walking 9 months before, 2 or 3 times a week, walking first 4-5km and building up to regularly walking 10-15km. My biggest headache was shoes! (DONT GET ME STARTED).

I told my doctor and he made me have a health check before I left, before he would give me a 2 month prescription... but that went well. I went away a few weeks before with my husband walking and that didn't go too well and I panicked and changed my start from St Jean to Roncesvalles... but that was it... I was off.

And let me tell you, I had the greatest adventure! You can read about here if you want. (you need to scroll down to start at the begining) https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/

I'm now hooked on long distance walking, three of my friends are planning their own camino, I'm planning my third camino for september and we're now planning holidays on other trails... and even thinking of maybe taking a tent and going even more into the unknown!

@Cecy - bascially, walk your own walk... plan, prepare and learn and just go and walk and I hope you have an amazing time!
“Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!”

Last edited:
Hey Cecy,
I've had similar comments from a few people who are negative about me wanting to do my first camino and I also have 9 months to get myself fitter.
I've just come to the conclusion that they are just jealous and not willing to test themselves on such an amazing adventure that lays ahead for you, me and other pilgrims this year. So be it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's not going to change my mind at all.
I've been walking as a hobby/pastime for many years and the one thing that I've learnt from all the miles I've covered is that your body is capable of taking you further and for longer than you can imagine. There is one tip that I always give to everyone that I meet who is starting out though, it's simply take care of your feet. It's a simple piece of advise but so important.
I've no doubt that you will be able to get yourself fit for your camino and I hope you enjoy your planning and the forum.
Good luck with your training.
Happy new year and Buen camino.
Steve.

Thank you for your kind words, its not going to stop me, guess just have to dust it off!!!

Happy New Year

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

THank you for sharing your story, if this isnt inspiration enough I dont know what is, I cam do this! !!

Ciao /Greetings/Howdy

I'm Joe ( DeadFred) and I am continuing my Camino in September 26th( or May?) 2016 from Los Arcos . I started in St Jean in 2014 and had back issues which are now history ( knock on wood) .

During my pre-2014 Camino I started here on the form a thread for Pilgrims who were beginning their Caminos in Sept. By the time I headed out to trek there were 120+ pilgrims that were able to communicate and connect before they left for their Caminos . This year I want to do the same but this time also include October Peregrino's .

If you would like me to post your handle/date /starting place I will be happy to add it here

Sometime in September , not sure of the day
1. Bethy446 (party of 2) (St Jean), Brad Williams (St Jean)
2. Rossmckay and Margaret ( first week )
3. KerrieG
4. AZgirl (first week) -Valencia
5. Bodog (early Sept)
6. Susanglori (early to mid)
7. TarantoLK
8. SamanthaMarie (St Jean)
---------------------------------------
September 1 Tibby -(St Jean), Kathy Cocquyt (St Jean)
September 2 Craig Warren - (St Jean)
September 3 Lilja -(St Jean)
September 4 Trevorcc Catalan (Logrono) ,Marc Hamel -(St Jean)
September 5
September 6- Steve392 -(St Jean)
September 7
September 8 nonami (St Jean)
September 9
September 10 Jiffie - (St Jean)
September 11
September 12 Nancy Claeys (Leon)
September 13
September 14
September 15
September 16 Liz Murray -(St Jean)
September 17- Christian Hiriart -(St Jean)
September 18
September 19 LesBrass -(St Jean)
September 20
September 21
September 22
September 23 MellisaSue67 - (St Jean)
September 24
September 25
September 26
September 27
September 28
September 29
September 30
------------------------------
October 5 Buzz Radican - (Roncesvalles)
October 9 Scruffy1 Bilbao to CF
Please add me to your September start list. My daughter Karli (who speaks fluent Spanish) and I will be starting from SJPP on Sept. 22 and travel until October 26th We hail from the Seattle, WA area.

Please add me to your September start list. My daughter Karli (who speaks fluent Spanish) and I will be starting from SJPP on Sept. 22 and travel until October 26th We hail from the Seattle, WA area.

Listed! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is it too early to purchase my flight for sept 2016

Yes, a bit, but you might entertain yourself monitoring prices and setting up air fare alerts. Buen Camino, SY

Awww, i almost hit the buy button...lol i will wait a few months

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, prices are usually lowest around three months before the flight and around midweek. Buen Camino, SY

Yes, prices are usually lowest around three months before the flight and around midweek. Buen Camino, SY

Im glad i asked, i thought if i waited the prices would up, thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No, a family member that doesn't understand the NEED my soul feels to do this. Yes, i am starting back on my walking plan, i was walking at least 5 miles a day and will be going to the g for strength training in order to endure carrying my bpack.

Thank you for your words of encouragement very much appreciated!

As people already think Im just weird!!
as the others have said as this advice is not coming from a doc then i would say GO FOR IT ,,its a wonderful experience that you can tailor to suit your needs and fitness , you will surprise yourself.when i said i was going people laughed n said i would stop in the first nice bar and sit it out with my cigerettes :) but no i carried on and loved it ,will hope and expect to hear more from you and your walking plan,,

Hi all, last night I was told that I would never make the Camino, that Im so out of shape there is no way to get in shap in 9 months to do the walk. I feel a little disheartened that someone would tell me that. I feel it in my heart that I can and that now that my children are grown I need to live my live and this journey is to find my purpose in life now that its just me and my mother.

Sorry, just venting, i feel I needed to share this with others that have done the Camino, others that may be seekers like me

Or maybe you are getting noise from people like @amorfati1 explained to me here (post #11, I think):

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/top-five-things-i-hate-about-returning-from-the-camino….29706/#post-251550

Unless you have medical advice against your plans, I doubt there is any reason why you should not have adequate preparation time and a joyous Camino.

Sometimes, you just have to let the negative people go.

Painful, but possible...even if they are family or "friends" of long standing. (True friends want you to be happy, not constructs of their own imaging.)

B

Last edited by a moderator:
@DeadFred can you add my dates to the 2016 list, im planning on starting in Valenca sept 17th. I tried to add a new tread but the calendar is greyed out. Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@DeadFred would you please add me to September 3rd leaving from SJPdP. I will begin walking with at least one other friend. Thank you.

Hi DeadFred !

I have just yesterday booked flights to St. Jean for myself and my husband arriving Sept 20th 2016 . We are so excited can't believe that it's finally going to happen . He was 60 in November so it must have been the catalyst for him to organise the time off work. It used to be me that was more interested in doing the Camino France's , now he is even more enthusiastic ! Will you please add us to your September calendar ?

Hi DeadFred !

I have just yesterday booked flights to St. Jean for myself and my husband arriving Sept 20th 2016 . We are so excited can't believe that it's finally going to happen . He was 60 in November so it must have been the catalyst for him to organise the time off work. It used to be me that was more interested in doing the Camino France's , now he is even more enthusiastic ! Will you please add us to your September calendar ?

Camino_Rooky! That is an exciting moment :) I have you on the list . Buen Camino :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Just a couple of word regarding those that attempt to discourage us from doing the Camino as I also have experience this, however to a small degree. I’m in good shape and have no physical condition that would not allow me to undertake this walk and complete it. I concluded that these comments are out of love and concern, especially from people that do not understand or can’t see the world pass their front door. I don’t say this in a derogatory way, is just that our educational system in North America does not teach us much about the world. As an example, when talking to a colleague of mine she thought that crossing the Pyrenees would require ropes and repelling and so. So when I hear discouraging comments what I really think is been said is: I’m afraid for you going to a place so far away, if something happen to you I won’t be able to be there to help you. I realized that they are really showing a concern for my wellbeing and I thank them for that. Just my thoughts.

Chris

Last edited:
Dear Dead Fred, I am happy to hear that you are returning to the Camino this year! I am, too. Please add my name to the Sept/Oct Camino Frances list. Not sure when I will leave or where I will start, but once I receive my hospitalera assignment, I will make definite plans and you can update the list. Thank you! Now it feels official!

Dear Dead Fred, I am happy to hear that you are returning to the Camino this year! I am, too. Please add my name to the Sept/Oct Camino Frances list. Not sure when I will leave or where I will start, but once I receive my hospitalera assignment, I will make definite plans and you can update the list. Thank you! Now it feels official!

Marylynn, Your listed:) Let me know when you have your date/place confirmed.

I am now leaving on May 21st from Los Arcos . Btw if you know anyone that might want to manage this Sept/Oct thread send them my way .

Wish you the best on your hospitalera!
Joe :)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am arriving
September 1 in St Jean Pied de Porte - please add me to your list
What country are you starting from Tibby? I am also walking in Sept from St Jean, coming from US and trying to decide what day to arrive.

Hi DeadFread
Can you tell me how to look at the calendar?
Thanks,Chris

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ciao /Greetings/Howdy

I'm Joe ( DeadFred) and I am continuing my Camino in September 26th( or May?) 2016 from Los Arcos . I started in St Jean in 2014 and had back issues which are now history ( knock on wood) .

During my pre-2014 Camino I started here on the form a thread for Pilgrims who were beginning their Caminos in Sept. By the time I headed out to trek there were 120+ pilgrims that were able to communicate and connect before they left for their Caminos . This year I want to do the same but this time also include October Peregrino's .

If you would like me to post your handle/date /starting place I will be happy to add it here

Sometime in September/October , not sure of the day
3. KerrieG
5. Bodog (early Sept)
7. TarantoLK
9. Marylynn
September 1 Tibby -(St Jean), Kathy Cocquyt (St Jean)
September 2 Craig Warren - (St Jean)
September 3 Lilja -(St Jean)
September 4 Trevorcc Catalan (Logrono) ,Marc Hamel -(St Jean)
September 5
September 7 - Nanc (St Jean)
September 8 nonami (St Jean)
September 9
September 11
September 12 Nancy Claeys (Leon)
September 13
September 14
September 15
September 16 Liz Murray -(St Jean)
September 18
September 20 -Camino_Rooky (St Jean)
September 21
September 22 Joodle (St Jean)
September 23 MellisaSue67 - (St Jean)
September 24
September 25
September 26
September 27
September 28
September 29
September 30

Hi Fred

Could you add me and my wife Beth to your list please. After years of waiting, the time has finally come. We will be leaving SJPP on Sept 9, 2016. Thanks to all the great advice we've gotten from the many veteran Camino members on this forum.

Hi Fred

Could you add me and my wife Beth to your list please. After years of waiting, the time has finally come. We will be leaving SJPP on Sept 9, 2016. Thanks to all the great advice we've gotten from the many veteran Camino members on this forum.

Your Offical! :) Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,

Can you please add me to the list of those leaving Le Puy in (late) Septembre 2016? Thank you!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Liz Murray from Australia. I'll be heading off from St Jean (solo) mid Sept 16. Once I'm sure of the actual date I'll update here. Thanks for initiating this thread. I'm a newbie here so hope I can find it again!!
Hi Liz, I will probably be also starting solo around first or second week of September. I am from South Africa, and this will also be my first hiking trip I hope we meet up somewhere.

Hi, I am just joining this thread as I will by walking the Camino from Leon, hopefully leaving September 27, 2016. I will be joined by 2 others. All three of us will walk to Santiago and then 2 of us will continue on to Fisterra. Are we being too ambitious in hoping that we can get to Santiago in 11 days? We would like to be there for the Friday botafumeiro ceremony. Getting very excited now, will be booking airfares over next couple of weeks.

Hi, I am just joining this thread as I will by walking the Camino from Leon, hopefully leaving September 27, 2016. I will be joined by 2 others. All three of us will walk to Santiago and then 2 of us will continue on to Fisterra. Are we being too ambitious in hoping that we can get to Santiago in 11 days? We would like to be there for the Friday botafumeiro ceremony. Getting very excited now, will be booking airfares over next couple of weeks.

Google maps show's 318 km( approx 200 mi) Leon to Santiago then onto Fisterra another 83 km( 51 mi) .
11 days need 30 km(18 mi )a day average no rest days .
To Fisterra it's 36.5 km(23 mi) average /day average no rest days. <<< This one's might be tough .
If your in shape and confident then Santiago might be your best target
I have you listed for the 27th ... let me know if that changes .. Buen Camino

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/2016-september-october-peregrinos.34659/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ciao /Greetings/Howdy

3. KerrieG
5. Bodog (early Sept)
7. TarantoLK
9. Marylynn
10.YourGreatAunt(Late )-Le Puy
11. Careen( Mid to Late)
September 1 -Tibby -(St Jean), Kathy Cocquyt (St Jean)
September 2 - Craig Warren - (St Jean)
September 3- Lilja -(St Jean)
September 4 - Trevorcc Catalan (Logrono) ,Marc Hamel -(St Jean)
September 5
September 8 -nonami (St Jean)
September 9- TomS( St Jean)
September 11
September 12 -Nancy Claeys (Leon)
September 13
September 14
September 15
September 16 -Liz Murray -(St Jean)
September 18
September 21
September 22 -Joodle (St Jean)
September 23 - MellisaSue67 - (St Jean)
September 24
September 25
September 26
September 27 -Likin( Leon)
September 28
September 29
September 30
September 18 DanielH (Burgos)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had to change my plans and am now going on May 17th . If you would like to take over this Sept/Oct Thread let me know .

Your listed Daniel! Buen Camino :)
thanks so much. Really excited as my Irish friends Susan and Trease whom I met on the Camino last year will be joining me Buen Camino to you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My plans have changed and I will be leaving for Spain in May not September .YourGreatAunt has stepped up to take this thread over .
This transition will include moving the calendar to her "New Thread" as Ivar suggested we manage it this way .

Once YourGreatAunt has set up her 2016 September/October Peregrinos thread , copied the calendar over , I will start sending the new arrivals folks her way . Please go to her thread once established and introduce yourself . After everyone has comfortably moved over I will delete this thread.

By "Liking" this message I will know you have seen it and understand what's going on .

Thanks
Joe

Hi joe Kerrychick here i plan to start another Camino in sep 2016.
I did not do a camino in 2015 and i missed it so much ,in 2014 i did the camino from st jean to Logrono and took the train to serria and walked into Santiago from there .This year i will start in Logrono and walk into Santiago.
I am looking foreword to meeting some new friends and sharing a spirit filled experience along the way.

3. KerrieG
5. Bodog (early Sept)
7. TarantoLK
9. Marylynn
10.Careen( Mid to Late)
September 1 -Tibby -(St Jean), Kathy Cocquyt (St Jean)
September 2 - Craig Warren - (St Jean)
September 3- Lilja -(St Jean)
September 4 - Trevorcc Catalan (Logrono) ,Marc Hamel -(St Jean)
September 5
September 8 -nonami (St Jean)
September 9- TomS( St Jean)
September 11
September 12 -Nancy Claeys (Leon)
September 13
September 14
September 15
September 16 -Liz Murray -(St Jean)
September 18-DanielH (Burgos), YourGreatAunt(Late )-Le Puy
September 21
September 22 -Joodle (St Jean)
September 23 - MellisaSue67 - (St Jean)
September 24
September 25
September 26
September 27 -Likin( Leon)
September 28
September 29
September 30
October 9 Scruffy1 Bilbao to CF[/QUOTE]

Hey Cecy,
I've had similar comments from a few people who are negative about me wanting to do my first camino and I also have 9 months to get myself fitter.
I've just come to the conclusion that they are just jealous and not willing to test themselves on such an amazing adventure that lays ahead for you, me and other pilgrims this year. So be it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's not going to change my mind at all.
I've been walking as a hobby/pastime for many years and the one thing that I've learnt from all the miles I've covered is that your body is capable of taking you further and for longer than you can imagine. There is one tip that I always give to everyone that I meet who is starting out though, it's simply take care of your feet. It's a simple piece of advise but so important.
I've no doubt that you will be able to get yourself fit for your camino and I hope you enjoy your planning and the forum.
Good luck with your training.
Happy new year and Buen camino.
Steve.

Hi Cecy ,dont pay any attention to negative comments you can do anything you put your mind to and if its on your heart to do a Camino then its calling you and the Camino will take care of you ,so believe and begin .xx

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Cecy ,dont pay any attention to negative comments you can do anything you put your mind to and if its on your heart to do a Camino then its calling you and the Camino will take care of you ,so believe and begin .xx

hey kerrychick.
I think you may have put up the wrong quote (you've quoted me not cecy). I wouldn't want cecy to miss your kind words.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back