Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 Version of Invierno Guide now posted in Resources

peregrina2000

Staff member
Well, this version is a huge improvement over last year's, thanks to the contributions of so many, including Peregrino Tom, Kinky One, Charrito, Luka, Bad Pilgrim, LauraK, and MyDestinationGalicia. Have I forgotten anyone? If so, please send me a PM and I'll add your name to the list of thanks.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-to-the-camino-de-invierno-2016-edition.442/

People were willing to spend a lot of time helping me with the fuzzy parts, the inaccurate parts, the inelegant parts, and I really appreciate it. It was a great group effort.

My only plea now is that if you use this guide you will pay it forward. I will be happy to coordinate the revisions again for the 2017 version, but I will need your comments to do it!

Wishing everyone a lovely Camino de Invierno, go now before the crowds get there. You will not regret it.

Buen camino, Laurie

Edited to provide link to newest version.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you, Laurie!! Fantastic.
We'll see how the weather pans out in March/April. If it looks like it will be relatively good I may change my Ebro plans from SDdS at the last minute...and if I do, paying it forward will certainly happen!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, this version is a huge improvement over last year's, thanks to the contributions of so many, including
Peregrino Tom, Kinky One, Charrito, Luka, Bad Pilgrim, LauraK, and MyDestinationGalicia. Have I forgotten anyone? If so, please send me a PM and I'll add your name to the list of thanks.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/forum-guide-to-the-invierno.438/

People were willing to spend a lot of time helping me with the fuzzy parts, the inaccurate parts, the inelegant parts, and I really appreciate it. It was a great group effort.

My only plea now is that if you use this guide you will pay it forward. I will be happy to coordinate the revisions again for the 2017 version, but I will need your comments to do it!

Wishing everyone a lovely Camino de Invierno, go now before the crowds get there. You will not regret it.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you very much, Laurie. I intend to walk this camino this year. Andreja from Slovenia

JohnnieWalker's list of statistics shows that 222 people who got a compostela walked the Invierno in 2015. That's a crying shame, because it is a beautiful walk. The guide is all you need (and a bit more cash, since there are so few albergues), but if you want to be a pioneer, here's your chance. Great signage, lots of excellent wine. I am going to be a shameless promoter of the Camino de Invierno -- grab a bunch of people in Ponferrada and take off! You will not regret it. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe not all of the people that walked Invierno actually went to the office in SdC. For 2014 stats I wasn't in there, just for example :)
Last year I picked up Compostela for a very sick friend of mine otherwise there would be one less pilgrim that walked Levante & Sanabres. As many posters already said here these statistics don't show real picture/number. I don't think situation on Invierno is all that bad. Or at least I hope ;)

Happy New Camino Year!

JohnnieWalker's list of statistics shows that 222 people who got a compostela walked the Invierno in 2015. That's a crying shame, because it is a beautiful walk. The guide is all you need (and a bit more cash, since there are so few albergues), but if you want to be a pioneer, here's your chance. Great signage, lots of excellent wine. I am going to be a shameless promoter of the Camino de Invierno -- grab a bunch of people in Ponferrada and take off! You will not regret it. Buen camino, Laurie

Oh, I didn't get my Compostela after the Invierno either. Last time I got one was... in 2009, first Camino. After that I don't care about them. Sometimes I wonder how many pilgrims the statistics would show if everyone would be included. Perhaps those 250.000-something pilgrims in total are much more...!

/BP

Well, this version is a huge improvement over last year's, thanks to the contributions of so many, including
Peregrino Tom, Kinky One, Charrito, Luka, Bad Pilgrim, LauraK, and MyDestinationGalicia. Have I forgotten anyone? If so, please send me a PM and I'll add your name to the list of thanks.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/forum-guide-to-the-invierno.438/

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A hospitalero in Hospital de Órbigo suggested the route in this weather. The tourist offices in Astorga and Ponferrada have junta guides. Ponferrada has a commercial guide with a new edition for walkers and bicyclists at about 15€.

Excellent work, Laurie. I'm sure that all of us who contributed just a tiny bit really appreciate the time and effort that you have put into this work.

Thank you!

As you have said above, I fully agree that it is a most beautiful walk. I will also be plugging/promoting it as much as I can (before the dreaded crowds turn up!).

If all goes well, I'll be setting off on the Invierno from Ponferrada again in the first week of June.

Buen camino to you all (and hope to see one or two more people this summer).

Excellent work, Laurie. I'm sure that all of us who contributed just a tiny bit really appreciate the time and effort that you have put into this work.

Thank you!

As you have said above, I fully agree that it is a most beautiful walk. I will also be plugging/promoting it as much as I can (before the dreaded crowds turn up!).

If all goes well, I'll be setting off on the Invierno from Ponferrada again in the first week of June.

Buen camino to you all (and hope to see one or two more people this summer).

Hi, Charrito,
Thanks much for your help with the new version. I'm sure you'll have more updates if you walk it again this summer!!!

Are you going to stay in Escairon again? If not, and if by chance you or anyone else stays in Torre Vilarino, would you report back on the feasibility of walking from the Casa Rural to that lovely overlook at Coba?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Charrito,
Thanks much for your help with the new version. I'm sure you'll have more updates if you walk it again this summer!!!

Are you going to stay in Escairon again? If not, and if by chance you or anyone else stays in Torre Vilarino, would you report back on the feasibility of walking from the Casa Rural to that lovely overlook at Coba?

Good Morning (from Spain), Laurie.

I still haven't started to think about the stages for this year's Invierno, but I will almost certainly NOT attempt to walk all the way from Ponferrada to Puente de Domingo Flórez on the same day (as I did last June)!

Regarding the Monforte de Lemos stage, I might possibly stay there this year, instead of just starting from A Pobra do Brollón in the morning, stopping off in Monforte for a cold beer and carrying on to Escairón. I was toying with the idea of walking towards either Torre Vilarino or to the small town of Ferreira de Pantón, from where you should be able to get to Coba (the mirador and the beach), and then continue along the river bank on the LU-P-5819. There's another bridge before you get to Belesar, and you can climb up the other side and eventually end up in Chantada. It all seems a real detour from the Camino, though. I've travelled around the area by car, as I told you, and I really think that walking would not be my preferred option.

Hi, Charrito,
I was actually thinking that many people who stay in Torre Vilariño are likely to arrive with much of the afternoon before them. There is a swimming pool, so that´s one option, but I saw on the map that it's only about 1.1 km to the mirador. And it would be about a 6 km roundtrip to the mirador and then on to the church and back to the hotel. The church also seems to have beautiful views down to the river. My knee was hurting when I was there this past summer so unfortunately I missed out. Looks like it would be a very pleasant way to spend the tarde.

Screenshot 2016-01-13 16.11.02.png

For the sticklers amongst us, I should say that I have just posted a very slightly revised version of the guide. A very hardworking couple of pilgrims spent many hours recalculating the distances to the tenth of a km! So I inputted the changes, all extremely minor.

This is the last iteration of the 2016 version. I now eagerly await comments from everyone who uses it this year. I look forward to the 2017 edition!!!

Enjoy the Invierno, peregrinos.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, this version is a huge improvement over last year's, thanks to the contributions of so many, including Peregrino Tom, Kinky One, Charrito, Luka, Bad Pilgrim, LauraK, and MyDestinationGalicia. Have I forgotten anyone? If so, please send me a PM and I'll add your name to the list of thanks.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-to-the-camino-de-invierno-2016-edition.442/

Buen camino, Laurie

Edited to provide link to newest version.
Thank you, thank you, thank you...everyone soooo much for the latest info....I am heading this Way again in June/July & will be using the latest guide ( of course making notes as I go...):)...can't wait to walk along this peaceful path again..maybe I will meet some other walkers this time?

Thank you, thank you, thank you...everyone soooo much for the latest info....I am heading this Way again in June/July & will be using the latest guide ( of course making notes as I go...):)...can't wait to walk along this peaceful path again..maybe I will meet some other walkers this time?

I'll be around on the Invierno from the beginning of June! Depending on work commitments, however, I may have to do it in two different 'blocks', probably divided up something like this:
  • Camino de Invierno 2015 071.JPG Camino de Invierno 2015 125.JPG
  • the first from Ponferrada to Monforte de Lemos (first week of June)
  • the second from Monforte de Lemos to the end (probably the third week of June)
That's the advantage of living not too far away (in Salamanca)!!

See you up there. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back