• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 -- Year of the Norte

peregrina2000

Staff member
I don't know how many people do "camino specific" searches when they read the forum, but I think this is news that anyone walking the Norte should have. (So, excuse the double posting, one for the Primitivo, one for the Norte).

2016 has been named by the Xunta the Year of the Norte and Primitivo. See Juanma's description here.

http://www.ponteferreira.com/2015/1...ar-and-the-year-of-the-primitive-way/?lang=en

I think it could spell trouble for crowds, since these caminos are not exactly bursting with an oversupply of albergues, etc. Just thought anyone planning the Norte this summer would want to know about this.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh my. Good to know - I'd been trying to decide between the Norte, Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo or Madrid/Invierno. Couldn't make up my mind. So yesterday I went back to the original plan of walking the vdlp in April. This post makes that feel like a good plan!

That's a bit of a blow. I was planning to walk el Norte late September/October. Maybe I should change my plans.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's a bit of a blow. I was planning to walk el Norte late September/October. Maybe I should change my plans.

I can't imagine that this is going to make much difference - in late September/October there'll still be relatively few walkers on the Norte even with any increases - don't change your plans on account of this

I agree that this designation is unlikely to have a huge impact, and especially for your off-season walk. I think it's more of a concern for the Primitivo, which also received the same honor, since it's much closer to the bursting point in high season. Don't change your plans, magwood!

Might see you out there Magwood - Dad and I are planning similar timing ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola, I agree that off season, Sept / Oct , shouldn't cause problems apart from usual possible bottlenecks... public holidays, weekend departures from Bilbao etc. Had a great walk along Norte last September. Regards to you Laurie, I met a pilgrim on Camino de Madrid last summer with a laminated copy of Camino de Invierno guide and he mentioned a certain author Laurie Reynolds!

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
"Addtionally, the Xunta de Galicia (the Galician regional government) has announced 2016 to be the year of the Camino del Norte and Primitivo, with especial investiments and improvements to be made on these Jacobean routes".

But the investments of the Xunta will be necessarily in Galicia.

What about the other regions involved? Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque country?

I'm remembering now Berducedo (Asturias).

"Addtionally, the Xunta de Galicia (the Galician regional government) has announced 2016 to be the year of the Camino del Norte and Primitivo, with especial investiments and improvements to be made on these Jacobean routes".

But the investments of the Xunta will be necessarily in Galicia.

What about the other regions involved? Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque country?

I'm remembering now Berducedo (Asturias).
Yes, Berducedo is quite the pressure point. Even when I walked 5 years ago, the municipal was full and the private took the overflow. Last summer there were reports of people having to walk to La Mesa or taxi to Grandas to find a place to sleep.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, Berducedo is quite the pressure point. Even when I walked 5 years ago, the municipal was full and the private took the overflow. Last summer there were reports of people having to walk to La Mesa or taxi to Grandas to find a place to sleep.
When I walked the Primitivo in June the municipal was full. I got the last bed in the private albergue, pilgrims walked onto La Mesa - it was full so some slept on the floor!

A friend was only a day behind and there was no crowding at all! I guess it can come down to luck - and if you are in a 'wave' of pilgrims.

I didn't feel this crowding detracted from the Primitivo because the days were quiet and the walking was peaceful.

buen camino

Also Borres (Asturias) would require a significant update.

If september on the norte is just as low season as september on the frances, than its not low sesson at all....but of course high season on the norte is still pretty low season compared to the frances numbers.

Im hoping to walk the norte starting early september.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm into 'serious' planning mode now we have entered 2016.... :) I can only walk in the Summer months since I am still working, looks like June is a better bet than July then?
Has anyone walked it in June?

If september on the norte is just as low season as september on the frances, than its not low sesson at all....but of course high season on the norte is still pretty low season compared to the frances numbers.

Im hoping to walk the norte starting early september.

You'll have to be a little careful - from my experience, at the beginning of September the hotels in San Sebastien, Orio and Deba might be full of holidaymakers

I'm into 'serious' planning mode now we have entered 2016.... :) I can only walk in the Summer months since I am still working, looks like June is a better bet than July then?
Has anyone walked it in June?

Hi, domigee, I walked in May/June but it was years ago so the fact that there was little traffic is probably irrelevant for this year.

I think that I probably over-reacted when I heard about the Year of the Norte and the Year of the Primitivo. It surely won't have any effect outside of Spain and I don't think Spaniards make up a huge percentage of the Norte traffic. I think spursfan has pointed to what's likely to cause the most crunch on the Norte, and that's vacationers. I think that means that the non-albergue accommodations are going to be more in demand and more pricey than on a lot of other caminos. The Norte just goes through one beautiful little seaside town after another, and crowds increase as the weather warms up. I know there have been lots of new albergues built since I walked, and I think you should go whenever it makes the most sense for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for that. :)
I was really talking to myself aloud - if it makes sense - and I am so very grateful you replied .
I don't have much choice and I want to go....so....
I'm thinking of taking my tent but have to look into it a bit more.
What are your plans this year? :)

Might see you out there Magwood - Dad and I are planning similar timing ;)

Plans have changed now. Have just booked my flight to Santander, coach to Irun, and will set off on 22 April for Ribadeo, Ruta do Mar and Camino Ingles.

I joked about it in another thread, but actually decided to bring my Camino forward to the spring for reasons of vanity. My daughter is getting married in early July and I will still be wearing my super-slim Camino body - those silly suntan marks might be a problem though!

Plans have changed now. Have just booked my flight to Santander, coach to Irun, and will set off on 22 April for Ribadeo, Ruta do Mar and Camino Ingles.

I joked about it in another thread, but actually decided to bring my Camino forward to the spring for reasons of vanity. My daughter is getting married in early July and I will still be wearing my super-slim Camino body - those silly suntan marks might be a problem though!

haha don't worry I completely understand that logic! I think that's an excellent plan and sounds like a lovely Camino I hope it all goes well. Will you be blogging this one as well?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We walked the Norte from mid May last year (2015) and it was not at all crowded. We did not take the Primitivo but stayed on the Norte. There were actually very few pilgrims on the stretch after the turnoff near Villaviciosa until the CF at Arzua.

I'm planning on going this year same time, not sure which route yet.. I'm hoping to take the Norte, but as I'll be walking alone I wonder if there aren't that many people will i get lonely? What is your estimate, will i be bumping into a few fellow peregrinos each day?

I'm planning on going this year same time, not sure which route yet.. I'm hoping to take the Norte, but as I'll be walking alone I wonder if there aren't that many people will i get lonely? What is your estimate, will i be bumping into a few fellow peregrinos each day?

Riisis:

I walked this route in April and was never alone. Therefore May should be well populated. Enjoy, this is a great Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked in September and while I mostly walked alone the albergues were buzy. No conga line on the Norte but not lonely either.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in September and while I mostly walked alone the albergues were buzy. No conga line on the Norte but not lonely either.
I walked from Irun to Santander during the second half of June last year and did not think it was too crowded and always managed to find a place to stay - but not as quiet as the Primitivo the year before in May. I'll be doing the last leg from Santander to Santiago this July which is the only time I can get away so fingers crossed the albergues won't be too full . Last year there quite a few young people walking ( I ssuppose it's the university holidays ) including a group of Spanish girls who always seemed to arrive first despite being the last to leave in the mornings . Turned out they got the bus ! I started off alone but in the end only spent a few hours walking on my own during the whole trip.

I'm still debating whether to walk on towards el norte from SJPP or let my feet retrace the camino frances. :rolleyes: What to do....
Hola, Philip,

I assume you are planning to get to SJPdP either via Bayonne or Pamplona. But if you're thinking of walking to Camino del Norte then just start this Camino in Bayonne, Biarritz airport, Hendaye or Irun. Problem solved :)
Otherwise there is a Camino called Voie de la Nive that connects Bayonne and SJPdP and you can walk in opposite direction:
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Nive.htm
http://vppyr.free.fr/pages_transversales/voie_nive/vnive.php?etp=accueil
Also use Search option to get some more info at this forum.

Ultreia!

Hola, Philip,

I assume you are planning to get to SJPdP either via Bayonne or Pamplona. But if you're thinking of walking to Camino del Norte then just start this Camino in Bayonne, Biarritz airport, Hendaye or Irun. Problem solved :)
Otherwise there is a Camino called Voie de la Nive that connects Bayonne and SJPdP and you can walk in opposite direction:
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Nive.htm
http://vppyr.free.fr/pages_transversales/voie_nive/vnive.php?etp=accueil
Also use Search option to get some more info at this forum.

Ultreia!
Ola,
You assume wrongly, but thanks. I am walking in from Lourdes, then walking on from SJPdP either one way or another.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Riisis. I am going to walk the Norte in May this year and I will be walking alone.
I have already done a part of it all the way from Irún to Güemes and on the 6th of May I will start from there. So if you are somewhere around me by that time it would be nice to meet you.
Runa in Iceland

Just back from walking the sentier littoral/camino del norte from Bidart in France to Bilbao, from 26th March to April 2nd. On most days I bumped into or walked with or had dinner with two norwegian guys, 1 Swiss guy, 1 German girl, 3 german guys, 1 spanish guy with good english, a few spanish guys and girls with no english. Never felt alone, except maybe when I stayed in a hotel which I did in San Sebastian and Getaria..

Just back from walking the sentier littoral/camino del norte from Bidart in France to Bilbao, from 26th March to April 2nd. On most days I bumped into or walked with or had dinner with two norwegian guys, 1 Swiss guy, 1 German girl, 3 german guys, 1 spanish guy with good english, a few spanish guys and girls with no english. Never felt alone, except maybe when I stayed in a hotel which I did in San Sebastian and Getaria..
Hotels do become weirdly quiet and lonely after several nights in albergues. They are the best way to ensure a good night's sleep, though.

Hi Riisis. I am going to walk the Norte in May this year and I will be walking alone.
I have already done a part of it all the way from Irún to Güemes and on the 6th of May I will start from there. So if you are somewhere around me by that time it would be nice to meet you.
Runa in Iceland
Hi there! Just bought my tickets and planning on starting perhaps 11th May from Aviles /Soto de luina where ever I'll find some transportation. I'm not sure what my pace will be, perhaps I'll be walking a bit slow(?) but we might bump into each other, that would be awesome!

I want to start from Irun , around the 7th of june, anyone who had been before in this month?

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.