Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2016 -- Year of the Primitivo

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks to a tip from Anemone, I did a little hunting around to find out exactly what she meant when she wrote that 2016 was the "Primitivo's year." I found on Juanma's albergue's facebook page (the well-loved owners of the albergue in Ponte Ferreira) a full explanation. You can read it here:

http://www.ponteferreira.com/2015/1...ar-and-the-year-of-the-primitive-way/?lang=en

I heard that last year there were all sorts of bed rushes, etc, so I am now wondering it it's such a good idea to walk this way in mid-late June of 2016. I'm also going to assume that this will have a spillover effect on the Salvador, whose traffic is also growing by leaps and bounds.

Hmmmm..... back to the drawing board or forge ahead?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting! Our start date keeps changing, but it looks like we'll set off from Oviedo in the last week in September. I'll follow other members' posts over the summer, although I don't think we'll be put off by the prospect of crowds. I'm really looking forward to walking the Primitivo - thanks to people like you and Anemone who wax so lyrically about it :)

Last edited:
Hmmmm..... back to the drawing board or forge ahead?
If not you, then who? If not now, then when?

As we approach Christmas, I'm reminded that there was no bed for Christ either. He still comes in silence amidst the rush of people. Solitude of heart, not the trail, is the key.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you really think that this is going to have such an impact on the number of pilgrims walking the Primitivo? So the Xunta has decided to call 2016 the year of the Norte and the Primitivo, so what? I can't see that this would change my plans. Just saying...

I walked the Salvador and Primitivo in October. There were few pilgrims on the Salvador and lots of beds available. Once I reached the Primitivo, it became more crowded with full/near full albergues at the small albergues with fewer beds. I didn't hear of anyone being turned away, but it was late October. I was the only one from the Salvador that I met along the way. There were a lot of people from the Norte and many more Spanish people just walking the Primitivo...several only walking to Lugo as a short holiday. Based on my experience, I think June could end up with a bed rush. Btw - I stayed at Ponte Ferreira and it was a great albergue. Yummy home cooked seafood paella for dinner!

Do you really think that this is going to have such an impact on the number of pilgrims walking the Primitivo? So the Xunta has decided to call 2016 the year of the Norte and the Primitivo, so what? I can't see that this would change my plans. Just saying...

You're right, of course, but it is likely to cause some uptick in a camino for which last year's summer reports were of a growingly unpleasant crunch. I'm still on, come what may!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm curious to see what happens. Every Jacobean Holy Year sees a massive surge of pilgrims. It probably doesn't mean as much for non-Catholics (or non-practicing Catholics), but this Year of Mercy and the associated indulgence artificially creates something like a Jacobean Holy Year, and it might result in a significant uptick across the board, with associated spillover into other routes.

I'm actually wondering if @JohnnieWalker and the pilgrim's office have any projections based on the announcements.

Laurie, along the Primitivo I only met one person who was coming from the Salvador. I would not be so worried about that bit. For the Primitivo I would not bank on finding a bed if arriving later rather than earlier. By late I mean 7pm or so. And many walk until quite a bit later. In Borres we had people sleeping outdoors, on a picnic table and even under a tractor! You are a much better walker than I am so that may not be a concern for you.

What was the other designation the Primitivo earned last year? Soemthing that would send grants its way if memory serves me. May pbe this is phase II?

OOOooooo! I've already booked my flight to Asturias on 1st May, on the assumption that this was a quiet camino! I'll be sure to let you know how I progress .....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OOOooooo! I've already booked my flight to Asturias on 1st May, on the assumption that this was a quiet camino! I'll be sure to let you know how I progress .....
It will still be quiet in comparison to the CF. The lack of, or just about, guidebooks helps , as does the increased physical challenge. And no movie has been made about yet ;) . Even if the numbers doubled or tripled you won't be walking in view of other pilgims. But it won't take many more people than are walking today to cause an issue finding a bed.

On the Primtivo this June there were many Spanish people who finished in Lugo as Laura K mentioned.
During this Camino I saw more use of taxis, support cars etc as a way to beat the 'bed rush' than I did when walking the Frances. It created a certain spirit that I tried hard to ignore. I found a bed each night. The walking was very quiet - and the scenery beautiful.
The Salvador was empty and wonderful!
buen camino

I am so glad that we walked the Primitivo in 2012. Even then there were pinch points that we heard about. There seem to be more bed spaces now, but also maybe more booking ahead. Looking to walk sections of the Norte and Primitivo but with a car (to reach other places) we are aware that many places are being booked well in advance (pensiones and hotels). We do not know about the private albergues - we are not 'walking pilgrims' so have not looked at those.
Try the Ruta do Mar (Ribadeo-San Andrés de Teixido-Camino Inglés if you do want solitude, but be aware of the lack of infrastructure, and the need to use private accomodation, before you reach Ferrol.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I find this amazing - I walked the primitivo in July and never had a problem finding a bed, in Borres there were only 5 of us - I think the issue is people trying to walk it too fast, I took 16 days but a lot of people took 11/12 so their Etapas are going to lead to room shortages , give yourself a bit more time, slow down and smell the cow dung and you won't have the stress of finding a bed each night

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back