• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2017 - Assisi to Rome?

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
Giving some serious thought about doing a hike from Assisi to Rome in the summer of 2017.

Thinking that 2 weeks for that journey, plus another 10-14 days doing tourist stuff in Italy. This would be my second trip to Italy but the first for my wife & daughter and my first in central/southern Italy. I'd like to go back to Lake Como, see Venice, Florence, Pisa.

I'd also like to get in some hiking and a religious pilgrimage (we are Catholic) inserted into a longer trip seems like it might make for a highlight to the overall trip.

How crowded is the route? Best guides? Look like eBooks are more common than paperback for this route.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am going from Florence thru Assisi on the 26th.
JohnnieWalker walked this route from Florence this winter and his a nice daily coverage on his blog.

Sandy Brown (forum member) has recently written an English guide for this route..

On Amazon, Cicerone publisher, "way of St. Francis"

(I am on iPhone so no links)

Giving some serious thought about doing a hike from Assisi to Rome in the summer of 2017.

Thinking that 2 weeks for that journey, plus another 10-14 days doing tourist stuff in Italy. This would be my second trip to Italy but the first for my wife & daughter and my first in central/southern Italy. I'd like to go back to Lake Como, see Venice, Florence, Pisa.

I'd also like to get in some hiking and a religious pilgrimage (we are Catholic) inserted into a longer trip seems like it might make for a highlight to the overall trip.

How crowded is the route? Best guides? Look like eBooks are more common than paperback for this route.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?
Summer walking in Italy can be ferociously hot - just bear that in mind. It's not the Camino Francés with water fountains and frequent cafés/bars. Buon cammino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Might I suggest an alternative for your 14 days walking - If you start the Via Francigena at San Gimignano it is 14 days to Rome from there passing through Siena, Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia, Radiciofani, Acquapendente, Bolsena, Montefiascone, Viterbo and Sutri among other towns.

Places such as Siena, Bolsena and Viterbo have significant religious connections. The route is also properly way-marked and accommodation is easier to come by.

You could add Assisi to your list of places to see after the walk.

The Assisi to Rome route has very few pilgrims and the Via Francigena more but the numbers are minimal compares to the Caminos.

Hiked the Via from San Gimignano to Rome this past July (my avatar is from the hike). I think the Assisi trail may join up with the Via at Orvieto (fascinating town, by the way, with Etruscan tombs and a beautiful cathedral) but am not sure. The Via in July was brutal with blistering heat, little shade and few resources along the way. Without a doubt, it was the hardest, physically and mentally challenging, hiking I've ever done, because of the heat.

I loved the Via and will likely go back at some point and do the whole thing. But never again in the Italian summer. Even leaving at sunrise didn't help as the heat kicked in by 9 am. Carried 4 liters of water/gatorade and usually went through it all. The soles of my lightweight Sportiva Bushidos melted (just replaced them on sale this week, yay!) and it was impossible to prevent blisters.

The Assisi trail looks amazing for its route and history. Who doesn't love Italy? But, IMHO, save it for fall/winter/spring.

PS: For anyone hiking through Orvieto (day off, side trip for me)...follow the signs downhill to the Etruscan tombs. If the archeologists are working, they were incredibly nice about taking me into the site to explain what they were digging. Spent a couple of hours with them, learning about Etruscan culture. They may only be there during certain times of the year but even seeing the site is interesting if you are into the Etruscan history.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with other comments about the heat in the summer - we walked from Montefiascone to Rome in July and it was intensely hot. The route has wonderful scenery, but nothing really in terms of places to stop for refreshments and no fountains etc so have to carry a lot of water. I also went through 4 litres a day of water etc. Also there are not generally many places to pick up public transport if you get too hot/tired to carry on to accommodation. I wouldn't discourage it as it is beautiful, but save it for the cooler months.
The towns en route are lovely and the people so welcoming and helpful.
Also when arriving in Rome go to the pilgrim office in the Vatican rather than on the main street.

Try Vezelay to Assisi - much more interesting, France and Italy ending in Assisi leaving for you touring days as you are already in Umbria, Tuscany. Takes you through LaVerna another wonderful monument to Saint Francis.

Hello Pilgrims, I am walking the Via di San Francesco from Assisi to Rome with a family group starting June 2 this year. We are concerned about what you are saying about the hot weather. Can you explain more about what period of time you were there, and what the temperatures actually were? I am reading that the average highs from Assisi to Rome range between 75-80 degrees in June, which sounds fine to me (but then, I am from Florida). Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back