• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2017 Brierly Guide CP

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
Help!!! I am going crazy. In his 2017 guide Brierly is apparently covering various routes on the CP but his color coding is inconsistent (central route orange or blue?). He mentions a number of potential detours but the book isn't organized so I am keep track of what he is talking about. Is there a better resource? Or can someone advice me on following Brierly. I am 71, going alone end of April or early May, and am very talented at getting lost. Thanks anyone who can help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Help!!! I am going crazy. In his 2017 guide Brierly is apparently covering various routes on the CP but his color coding is inconsistent (central route orange or blue?). He mentions a number of potential detours but the book isn't organized so I am keep track of what he is talking about. Is there a better resource? Or can someone advice me on following Brierly. I am 71, going alone end of April or early May, and am very talented at getting lost. Thanks anyone who can help.

Indeed the guide from CSJ was far superior to the Brierley guide! I was very close at throwing away the bl***y Brierley guide, especially when walking into Padron ... now that man gets his distances very wrong....:rolleyes:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

And impossible to get lost on the Portugues, even better waymarked than Frances.
And walking into Santiago is so peaceful and quiet...

And impossible to get lost on the Portugues, even better waymarked than Frances.
And walking into Santiago is so peaceful and quiet...
oh uh - then i 'achieved' the impossible apparently.
i got lost ... once alone and once with fellow pilgrims. in the alone trip it was around Barcelos - and the together lost bit was somewhere before Vila do Conde (local pranksters rearranged the yellow markers and one ended up going in a square / circle.)
arrows were there in abundance - but of no use if re-arranged / misleading.
added many more kilometers to the day - and we weren't amused at all. but - all ended well.

and yes - by all means - plenty of good resources here. not to be dismayed by misleading colour-schemes... you do have options :)
Saluti !

oh uh - then i 'achieved' the impossible apparently.
i got lost ... once alone and once with fellow pilgrims. in the alone trip it was around Barcelos - and the together lost bit was somewhere before Vila do Conde (local pranksters rearranged the yellow markers and one ended up going in a square / circle.)
arrows were there in abundance - but of no use if re-arranged / misleading.
added many more kilometers to the day - and we weren't amused at all. but - all ended well.

and yes - by all means - plenty of good resources here. not to be dismayed by misleading colour-schemes... you do have options :)
Saluti !

True...before Vila do Conde I got it wrong too...;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
no not fear dear sister of the Camino I am also very talented in getting lost. but fear not their are maany great people on this journey to help and guide you..you will do it.

I used the 2016 edition, and other than for the bit folowing the aquaduct when leaving Vila do Conde I had no problems with the directions given.

I am curious, what are the detours he mentions? Perhaps we can help you with them?

In his 2017 guide Brierly is apparently covering various routes on the CP but his color coding is inconsistent (central route orange or blue?).

Hi, Brierley’s colour coding is:

Orange – Main (recommended) route (maximising pathways)
Grey – Alternative road route (more asphalt)
Green – Alternative scenic route (more remote, less waymarks)
Blue – Optional detour to point of interest

Hope that helps :)

Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used the 2016 edition, and other than for the bit folowing the aquaduct when leaving Vila do Conde I had no problems with the directions given.

I am curious, what are the detours he mentions? Perhaps we can help you with them?

I am away from base, and I haven't got the book with me at the moment. I used Brierley 2017 this year in Nov and also the CSJ. I found the way essentially very well way-marked. And I had no problem with either book I think. I took no detours, except that I took the 'littoral' way, (ie right along the coast from Porto to Vila do Conde) and then cut inland to Rates and continued on the 'main inland' route. (I still find the naming of the different routes in Portugal very confusing!)
I took the aqueduct slightly by accident! I was going to take the other route in Brierley, but just a few yards after that begins, after turning right after crossing the bridge, along Avenida Figueiredo Faria, there is a left turn up a hill signed to Poor Clares Convent. I decided to go up and have a look. (Of course everything was locked;)). But I found myself right at the base of the aqueduct which changed my mind. I followed it then and found the directions in Brierley worked well except that they were quite confusing while still in the town - I think he comes at the acqueduct in a different way! But just keeping the acqueduct in sight worked fine, even with the few kms of detour at one point where the acqueduct is enclosed in private property - more than I was expecting.

It was an interesting discovery that seemingly every road in Portugal, even small rural ones, has a name and a signboard. This was quite reassuring at times. I live in Ireland where a huge proportion of roads are not named and most houses (outside of cities) are not numbered :(.

I am away from base, and I haven't got the book with me at the moment. I used Brierley 2017 this year in Nov and also the CSJ. I found the way essentially very well way-marked. And I had no problem with either book I think. I took no detours, except that I took the 'littoral' way, (ie right along the coast from Porto to Vila do Conde) and then cut inland to Rates and continued on the 'main inland' route. (I still find the naming of the different routes in Portugal very confusing!)
I took the aqueduct slightly by accident! I was going to take the other route in Brierley, but just a few yards after that begins, after turning right after crossing the bridge, along Avenida Figueiredo Faria, there is a left turn up a hill signed to Poor Clares Convent. I decided to go up and have a look. (Of course everything was locked;)). But I found myself right at the base of the aqueduct which changed my mind. I followed it then and found the directions in Brierley worked well except that they were quite confusing while still in the town - I think he comes at the acqueduct in a different way! But just keeping the acqueduct in sight worked fine, even with the few kms of detour at one point where the acqueduct is enclosed in private property - more than I was expecting.

It was an interesting discovery that seemingly every road in Portugal, even small rural ones, has a name and a signboard. This was quite reassuring at times. I live in Ireland where a huge proportion of roads are not named and most houses (outside of cities) are not numbered :(.
It is not that complicated.
If you follow the waymarkers to Vila do Conde you'll arrive at the bridge over the river -the monastery is right in front of you on the top of a hill- and at the moment you have crossed this bridge, turn right and find your waymarkers . But be carefull. Directly after one meter there is a waymarker to the right.. following this you are lead underneath the bridge to the other side of the road and into the centro antigo of Vila doConde and the coastal route.
If yo want to go to São Pedro de Rates , you keep following the river , cross the metro line from Povoa da Varzím to Porto vv . And follow the yellow markers to São Pedro de Rates.

About the "confusing " names of the CP.

Starting in Lisbon direction Azambuja ,Santarèm, Tomar,Coimbra São João do Madeira to Porto you are on the Central route

Leaving Porto through the urbanised part to Vairão (direction Porto airport) and Vilarinho
you still are on the central route to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos, Casa da Fernanda Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho into Spain.

Leaving Porto alongside the Douro river and Atlantic ocean coast (allways at your left side) to Matosinhas, Angeiras, Vila do Conde, Póvoa da Varzím, Esposende ,Vila do Conde, Via Praia de Ãncora and Caminha into Spain you are on the coastal Caminho Português.

Here and there on the coastal the path splits off .one follows the coastline ,the other goes into the hills but at times they come together.

Then there is a third caminho path ,far away from the two above mentioned ones., the caminho Português Interior. You have to travel to Coimbra in central Portugal to find the markers in the village of Farminhão ,north east of Coimbra.
It leads along the mountains of the Serra da Estrella (beautifull area to visit if you'll ever have the time) to Viseu, Lamego and Chaves into Spain where it hits the ruta de la Via de la Plata in Ourense on the way to Santiago.

There is excellent information about all this routes in the various subforums here on this forum.

And a look at a detailed map ( google earth or ios maps) learns you all about the places ,mentioned above and you'll understand all about the geography of Portugal and the caminho routes.

Bom caminho and happy new year 2017.

Thanks @Albertinho. That helps! :)
I will certainly come back to Portugal for another Caminho soon. I found the coastal route as far as Vila do Conde very beautiful and the central route from there on very pleasant too. And the local people I met along immensely friendly.I would love to continue along the coast another time, and I would love to explore more of the interior. I have to visit Fatima in February - no time for walking then, but I will do a bit more research while I am there!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is not that complicated.
If you follow the waymarkers to Vila do Conde you'll arrive at the bridge over the river -the monastery is right in front of you on the top of a hill- and at the moment you have crossed this bridge, turn right and find your waymarkers . But be carefull. Directly after one meter there is a waymarker to the right.. following this you are lead underneath the bridge to the other side of the road and into the centro antigo of Vila doConde and the coastal route.
If yo want to go to São Pedro de Rates , you keep following the river , cross the metro line from Povoa da Varzím to Porto vv . And follow the yellow markers to São Pedro de Rates.

Starting in Lisbon direction Azambuja ,Santarèm, Tomar,Coimbra São João do Madeira to Porto you are on the Central route

Leaving Porto through the urbanised part to Vairão (direction Porto airport) and Vilarinho
you still are on the central route to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos, Casa da Fernanda Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho into Spain.

Leaving Porto alongside the Douro river and Atlantic ocean coast (allways at your left side) to Matosinhas, Angeiras, Vila do Conde, Póvoa da Varzím, Esposende ,Vila do Conde, Via Praia de Ãncora and Caminha into Spain you are on the coastal Caminho Português.

Here and there on the coastal the path splits off .one follows the coastline ,the other goes into the hills but at times they come together.

Then there is a third caminho path ,far away from the two above mentioned ones., the caminho Português Interior. You have to travel to Coimbra in central Portugal to find the markers in the village of Farminhão ,north east of Coimbra.
It leads along the mountains of the Serra da Estrella (beautifull area to visit if you'll ever have the time) to Viseu, Lamego and Chaves into Spain where it hits the ruta de la Via de la Plata in Ourense on the way to Santiago.

There is excellent information about all this routes in the various subforums here on this forum.

And a look at a detailed map ( google earth or ios maps) learns you all about the places ,mentioned above and you'll understand all about the geography of Portugal and the caminho routes.

Bom caminho and happy new year 2017.
We are starting the Camino in Lisbon in early May and haven't bought a guide yet. The description of Brierley's book suggests that it is for the central route and we'd really like to do the coastal route. Am I wrong about that? I'm not sure if I should buy Brierely's guide or use two guides? Is there another guide that covers the coastal route?

@AllanHG I haven't got the book with me while I am away from base. But, I am fairly sure there is no way-marked "coastal route" from Lisbon to Porto. It only kicks in from Porto onward. But Brierley's book certainly covers the coastal route from Porto onward.

We are starting the Camino in Lisbon in early May and haven't bought a guide yet. The description of Brierley's book suggests that it is for the central route and we'd really like to do the coastal route. Am I wrong about that? I'm not sure if I should buy Brierely's guide or use two guides? Is there another guide that covers the coastal route?
Look at the subform coastal from Lisbon, starting in Estoríl or Cascais.
There is a lot of information and a lot of links to websites with more information.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/Coastal-Camino-from-Lisbon/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2016 edition covers the Coastal route, starting in Porto. I cannot imagine it would have been excluded from the 2017 edition. Apparently he has added variantes in 2017. But I have not seen the book so I cannot tell you what routes he has added this year.

The Camino Portuguese in trying to keep pilgrims on a much more serene path with much less road walking, sometimes ends up taking you on a major detour of many more kms than if you just would have walked the road. So it becomes, do I just want to get to my destination or do I want to religiously follow the yellow arrows and possibly have more pleasant but tiring walking. It was both for us at different times. Once a local pointed us off of the yellow arrows and I didn't know whether to trust him (cuz you know those arrows are our best friends!)or not but a woman we were walking with could understand Portuguese better and understood that he was telling us we could knock 3k off the route by following his direction. That day I was glad and the road was not that bad.

Thanks for the replies; I ordered the Brierly book (the 2016 edition available through Indigo.ca right now). I'm also reading the blogs that have great information on this route and really excited to do our second camino!
Happy New Year to everyone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed the guide from CSJ was far superior to the Brierley guide! I was very close at throwing away the bl***y Brierley guide, especially when walking into Padron ... now that man gets his distances very wrong....:rolleyes:
Agree. Used the book to walk the true coastal route. Some big outages in distances. Whole addition of the coastal route was rushed it seemed.

Walked the Camino last year. We walked along the coast next to the sea wherever we could a few days on the beach. I think some of the walk we took is still developing we say maps showing a coastal Caminio that ran a fair few Km inland in places. Keep the water just to your left was our motto. I recall just after taking the Car Passenger Ferry from Portugal into Spain we turned hard left when we landed and had a great days walking on a good path just above the rock line.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walked the Camino last year. We walked along the coast next to the sea wherever we could a few days on the beach. I think some of the walk we took is still developing we say maps showing a coastal Caminio that ran a fair few Km inland in places. Keep the water just to your left was our motto. I recall just after taking the Car Passenger Ferry from Portugal into Spain we turned hard left when we landed and had a great days walking on a good path just above the rock line.
Okay I understand you walked along the coastline.but did you start in Lisbon as the OP is interested in or in Porto ? That makes a lot of a difference.
Many walk the coastal from Porto but only a few from Lisbon and there is a wish here on the forum to get more expertise about the Lisbon coastal.
I think you started in Porto due to your description of the ferry between Caminha and A Guarda and the left turn over the boardwalk into A Guarda instead of straight on over the hill. As far as I know there is no book ,anyway no English one, describing the coastal path from Lisbon( starting in Estoríl or Cascais) .

Okay I understand you walked along the coastline.but did you start in Lisbon as the OP is interested in or in Porto ? That makes a lot of a difference.
Many walk the coastal from Porto but only a few from Lisbon and there is a wish here on the forum to get more expertise about the Lisbon coastal.
I think you started in Porto due to your description of the ferry between Caminha and A Guarda and the left turn over the boardwalk into A Guarda instead of straight on over the hill. As far as I know there is no book ,anyway no English one, describing the coastal path from Lisbon( starting in Estoríl or Cascais) .
We started in Cascais. We have a friend there. In Thailand at the moment so don't have all my notes. The use of the word "coastal" to define this walk is a bit of a misnomer. Eventually a coastal walk may develop. The 6 day walk South out of Lisbon on the coast sounds interesting. Just as an example of what might happen. Part of the problem seems to be too many routes means a realitivly few pilgrims that walk split. This then means the infrastructure struggles a bit if you do try and walk a so called coastal route. Still a great walk. Towns like Mafra underrated.

We started in Cascais. We have a friend there. In Thailand at the moment so don't have all my notes. The use of the word "coastal" to define this walk is a bit of a misnomer. Eventually a coastal walk may develop. The 6 day walk South out of Lisbon on the coast sounds interesting. Just as an example of what might happen. Part of the problem seems to be too many routes means a realitivly few pilgrims that walk split. This then means the infrastructure struggles a bit if you do try and walk a so called coastal route. Still a great walk. Towns like Mafra underrated.
Thanks for your reply Craig.
Looking forward to your information ,once your back from Thailand.
I personally know the Lisbon area quiet well but the "coastal" side you walked I do not know yet except for Sintra.
the Mafra, Peniche and Alcobaça aera however is on top of the bucketlist.
My wife and I stayed a lot in Portugal but most of the time in the northern region.
Best regards from the Netherlands.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi. New member here, possibly posting in the wrong place but this was the only way I could find to interact. I walked the Caminho do Mar from Cascais to Sintra this month. It was well signposted. I intend to start the Caminho de Santiago from here in November. I would appreciate any information about accommodation from Mafra to Fatima as the guides I have read don't seem to cover this part of the route. Albergues, Bombeiros, Convents etc. My thanks. Anne.

Welcome on the. Forum Anne.
Place your post again on the subforum "coastal camino from Lisbon.
There you will find more answers .
Bom caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.