Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2017 guide -- One of the few remaining questions -- Alto do Faro

peregrina2000

Staff member
For whatever reason, this has always been a source of confusion. To make things more confusing, I understand that some official organizations are pushing to re-route the Camino so that it avoids the Alto do Faro altogether. That would be a big mistake in my opinion. But since some 2016 pilgrims got lost around Alto do Faro, I thought I'd take a stab at clarification, though the last time I walked I, like Kinky, didn't have a problem at all. So I am having a hard time trying to understand where the problem is. Kinky, give me the link to your endomondo tracks for this stage, I'm having trouble searching in that website.

Question 13
Alto do Faro. Sabbott reports getting lost from the ermita, which is a slight detour off camino. My directions are pretty straightforward so maybe I messed something up. Here's what I say:
Soon you will be at the high point, a huge field with its ermita, lookout tower, and cruceiro. To rejoin the Camino, go to the cruceiro (decorated standing crucifix), and the arrows will take you back to the Camino and past the picnic area.

KINKY's comments: I would just add (and as I remember from previous posts I'm almost the only one that found the way from here to Rodeiro with no problems :)) that after descending from the ermita to the tarmac road you either descend via tarmaced/gravel road or way of the cross. Either way picnic area with fountain is on your right. If you descended on the road you have to cross the picnic area or go on the tarmac left and then right around it and head for the gravel road with wind turbines on your left. And if you descend via the way of the cross then you turn right on the tarmac road and you'll see picnic are to your right. Keep left to it and proceed straight on gravel road with wind turbines to your left. Easy.peasy :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ok, bear with me. I'm going to add some google street view shots here to try to clear things up.

Going up on the camino to the Monte do Faro from Penasillas is easy, there is absolutely no way to get lost, you follow a wide road the whole way. The potential problem starts at this point. To the left is the grassy path, the Stations of the Cross, which take you up to the top of the mountain. This is where the chapel/ermita is. If you don't want to visit this site (and if you want to miss the extensive views in all directions, ;)), just keep going straight. Screenshot 2017-01-17 13.45.11.png

If you go straight (in other words staying on Camino and not going up to the chapel), you will come to this intersection and turn right -- you can see a mojon there clearly. If you have visited the ermita, you will be coming into this intersection from the left.

Screenshot 2017-01-17 13.46.17.png

You then keep straight on this road until you get to the following intersection. And at that point you take a right.

Screenshot 2017-01-17 13.43.22.png

This is the point I describe in the guide at which some people erroneously think that they can take a left here and get more quickly into Rodeiro (you can see the little street sign pointing left to Rodeiro). WRONG, this left will take you meandering all around small roads and you will regret your choice. Instead, everyone should go to the right here, and then further up ahead, you can vaguely see the mojon that shows you that you will take another right -- at this point you do not go up by the windmills, that comes later.

I am now close to understanding, and Kinky you have helped a lot. But just one question. I THINK that if you just stay on the road and do not follow the stations of the cross and do not want to go up to the chapel, you will never pass the picnic area. The picnic area will only be passed by those who are coming down from the Ermita. In other words, the picnic area is to the left of the second picture.

Make sense, everyone?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...But just one question. I THINK that if you just stay on the road and do not follow the stations of the cross and do not want to go up to the chapel, you will never pass the picnic area. The picnic area will only be passed by those who are coming down from the Ermita. In other words, the picnic area is to the left of the second picture.

Make sense, everyone?

Not entirely true. When you come (some 100mts before your photo 02) to a picnic area which is roughly around this bend on the right hand sideJust before picnic place at Alto do Faro.jpg
there is a tarmac (if I remember correctly) road that veers left up to the chapel.

Way of the Cross is past your photo 02 to the left and again left uphill:
Way of the Cross at Monte Faro.jpg

That means you can get up to the chapel from (at least) two directions.

OK, back to your photo 02. At this intersection the picnic place is on your right but you actually already pass it. When turning right at this spot to stay on the Camino the picnic area is again on your right hand side. Camino makes a loop around picnic area here ;)

And this photo is almost the same as your photo 03:
Windmills past Monte Faro.jpg

Of course you can get down to Rodeiro if turning left here but that means you'd be walking through a maze of smaller roads and easily get lost.
If you go straigh on that's the Camino. With beautiful views back to Chantada. It's straight all the way to LU-213 and CG-21 which you have to cross and continue toward the windmills to this point:
Mojones at left turn to Vilanova.jpg

where you make left turn downhill to Vilanova.

Makes sense? :D

Aargh, this is so hard to do in writing. Kinky, when you say

Not entirely true. When you come (some 100mts before your photo 02) to a picnic area which is roughly around this bend on the right hand side,

that is 100 meters before the intersection, but it is not on the road that is shown in pictures one and two. In other words, are you saying that it is 100 meters before the intersection on the right hand side of that road that you see coming into the intersection from the left?

What is clear to me is that if you google walk the road from picture one, to picture two, turning right and going to picture three, you will not pass the picnic area. Maybe what you are saying is that when get to the three pointed intersection of picture two, if I turned left instead of right I would see the picnic area. But I am not going to turn left, I am going to turn right.

Sorry to everyone who has to put up with this, but we're getting closer!

Huh, I don't know how to make photos in StreetView so I'll post links.

This is the spot (1st intersection) at Alto do Faro where you can take that tarmac road to the left and go uphill to Ermita. If you go to your right, that's Camino:
https://www.google.si/maps/@42.6284...Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=sl&authuser=0

Immediately after turning right at that 1st intersection there's already picnic area to your right (see the trach bin and one of the tables):
https://www.google.si/maps/@42.6282...A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=sl&authuser=0

And then after about 200 meters you come to your photo no.02 (2nd intersection):
https://www.google.si/maps/@42.6270...VgAc0K_tA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=sl&authuser=0
Here Camino veers right.

And now I SEE MY MISTAKE!!! :mad::eek:
Way of the Cross is before 2nd intersection to the left. So sorry for causing so much confusion!!!

OK, if you go left at 2nd intersection there's another tarmac road to the Ermita.

If you follow the Camino (right at 2nd intersection) soon you come to the picnic area again but this time on its other side:
https://www.google.si/maps/@42.6282...TVQoc6Fsw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=sl&authuser=0

I guess we cleared that out now :D
Sorry again:rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok, so I think we´ve got it straight about following the Camino without going up to the Ermita. The route is simple, really no need for any explanation other than to say that you pass by the stations of the Cross, turn right at the next T-intersection, pass the picnic tables on your right, and then reach picture number 3.

But what about coming down from the Ermita? I took the path that was off to the right of the ermita (standing with your back to the Ermita) at a path that started at or near the ornate cruceiro. I think that then I turned right at the bottom, and probably joined the Camino at that T`-intersection (my picture number 2) coming from the road off on the left. So at that T, isn't that the spot where the Ermita people meet up with the people who didn't go up to the Ermita, and then they all walk together and see the picnic area on their right.

And just to confuse us more, if I look at your google street photos that you have linked, where is my photo number one (the way of the cross turnoff) in relationship to those pictures?

My goodness, Kinky, it would be so much easier for us just to go back there!

Ok, so I think we´ve got it straight about following the Camino without going up to the Ermita. The route is simple, really no need for any explanation other than to say that you pass by the stations of the Cross, turn right at the next T-intersection, pass the picnic tables on your right, and then reach picture number 3.
Yes :)

But what about coming down from the Ermita? I took the path that was off to the right of the ermita (standing with your back to the Ermita) at a path that started at or near the ornate cruceiro. I think that then I turned right at the bottom, and probably joined the Camino at that T`-intersection (my picture number 2) coming from the road off on the left. So at that T, isn't that the spot where the Ermita people meet up with the people who didn't go up to the Ermita, and then they all walk together and see the picnic area on their right.
I haven't been to the Ermita myself so can hardly picture where you descend. But if you haven't descend on Way of the Cross or havent pass turn off for it again then I guess you're right here.

And just to confuse us more, if I look at your google street photos that you have linked, where is my photo number one (the way of the cross turnoff) in relationship to those pictures?
Your photo number 01 is maybe 20-30 meters before your photo 02 and about 150 meters after my photo 01 (SV link).

My goodness, Kinky, it would be so much easier for us just to go back there!
Couldn't agree more :D[/QUOTE]

Ok, I am going to give this a rest and come back to write up a new paragraph tomorrow. I am going to give directions for two routes, the grassy route up to the stations, and the staying on the camino easy route. I am not going to give instructions on taking the tarmac road up to the ermita, if people want to figure that out, good for them. I think that the stations of the cross grass route is far preferable anyway.

Thanks so much, Kinky, I think we're almost there!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good morning, sports fans. I have worked on the directions from Alto de Faro and paste them in here for your critiques. This area is a maze of little roads. Rather than try to cover all the options for getting up and down, I've limited the instructions to two options -- staying on the camino, or taking the grassy steps up to the top. See what you think:

PROPOSED TEXT:
After several kms walking on paths and unpaved roads after Penasillás, the Camino merges with a paved road. If you plan to go up to the Alto and its ermita, look for stone steps on the left. These steps take you off the Camino and ascend on the grass past the crosses representing the Stations of the Cross. Soon you will be at the high point, a huge field with its ermita, lookout tower, and cruceiro. To rejoin the Camino, you have two options. One would be to backtrack down the stars and rejoin the Camino at the exact spot that you left it. Another, which is straightforward but has caused some pilgrim headaches, would be to go to the cruceiro (decorated standing crucifix), and the arrows will take you back to the Camino and past the picnic area. From the cruceiro, you descend a hill and turn right at the bottom.

If you do not wish to ascend to the Ermita on the Alto de Faro with its expansive views in all directions, simply continue straight at the turnoff with the Stations of the Cross. You will pass the picnic area on your right. Shortly thereafter, you come to a T-junction, and a waymarker takes you to the right, so you are essentially hugging the picnic area on your right. If you have taken the descent from Alto de Faro that leaves from the crucifix, you will rejoin the Camino at this T-junction, continuing straight to rejoin the camino with the picnic area on your right.

The marked Camino leaves the tarmac to the right beyond the picnic area, and parallels windmills on a limestone access road with lovely views back to Chantada. At this point, you will see a beaten up old street marker, pointing to Rodeiro to the left. There is a clear yellow X (indicating that you should NOT go this way). Even if you are interested in the “road option” to Rodeiro, this is not the road that will take you there. You should wait till a later point, when the Camino crosses the PO-533, which is the direct road option to Rodeiro. Several pilgrims followed this first road sign to “Rodeiro” and learned that it is the “back road route” and weaves around crossing with lots of unmarked roads. They got lost many times.

I will try and explain what I found peregrina, for what it is worth.

I had absolutely no problems following the guide words from Penasillas to Alto de Faro and the ermita. I followed the Stations of the Cross up the hill, had lunch, and then followed the directions to the cruceiro and the arrows behind it, down to the car park. It was here that the confusion arose for me. There was an arrow pointing me across to the right and downhill from the carpark. I followed it for about 100 meters and decided that it felt wrong. It felt as if I was going backwards, and as I didn't actually have a map of the Camino itself, I decided I would make my own way. I retraced my steps looking for more arrows, and with the absence of any - plenty of other signs in the car park, but no Camino signs - I headed to the lookout tower. ( There were neither people nor signs anywhere, and so I headed straight down (a steep) hill opposite the tower, to the road at the bottom.)

If the right turn on the edge of the car park is correct perhaps a comment to that affect in the guide would help - that is what threw me and caused me to follow my own route. I understand that the path may well have appeared to have gone "backwards", but knowing that would help. I had in the back of my mind that if I went downhill and it was wrong, I'd have to go back up again - a discouraging thought!

Hope this helps rather than hinders. I cant figure out how to make photos smaller to add them so that I could show what I mean. Sorry. Janet

I will try and explain what I found peregrina, for what it is worth.

I had absolutely no problems following the guide words from Penasillas to Alto de Faro and the ermita. I followed the Stations of the Cross up the hill, had lunch, and then followed the directions to the cruceiro and the arrows behind it, down to the car park. It was here that the confusion arose for me. There was an arrow pointing me across to the right and downhill from the carpark. I followed it for about 100 meters and decided that it felt wrong. It felt as if I was going backwards, and as I didn't actually have a map of the Camino itself, I decided I would make my own way. I retraced my steps looking for more arrows, and with the absence of any - plenty of other signs in the car park, but no Camino signs - I headed to the lookout tower. ( There were neither people nor signs anywhere, and so I headed straight down (a steep) hill opposite the tower, to the road at the bottom.)

If the right turn on the edge of the car park is correct perhaps a comment to that affect in the guide would help - that is what threw me and caused me to follow my own route. I understand that the path may well have appeared to have gone "backwards", but knowing that would help. I had in the back of my mind that if I went downhill and it was wrong, I'd have to go back up again - a discouraging thought!

Hope this helps rather than hinders. I cant figure out how to make photos smaller to add them so that I could show what I mean. Sorry. Janet

Hi, Janet, this is helpful. You definitely did not want to descent straight down from the lookout tower. I hope you didn't have a lot of problems with that! I think that you probably should have kept going at the spot that it felt wrong, I think that in fact that was the right way. Look at my infantile drawing below. If you look at it in conjunction with the three pictures that appear in the second post in this thread, I hope it will be clearer. My guess is that you never made it to those windmills that you see in the third picture, do you remember how you got yourself into Rodeiro?

Of course, what looks simple from our computers is never that way in real life. The really confusing thing about the Alto de Faro is that it is filled with criss-crossing roads that are all unmarked!

Screenshot 2017-01-18 10.42.23.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Janet, this is helpful. You definitely did not want to descent straight down from the lookout tower. I hope you didn't have a lot of problems with that! I think that you probably should have kept going at the spot that it felt wrong, I think that in fact that was the right way. Look at my infantile drawing below. If you look at it in conjunction with the three pictures that appear in the second post in this thread, I hope it will be clearer. My guess is that you never made it to those windmills that you see in the third picture, do you remember how you got yourself into Rodeiro?

Of course, what looks simple from our computers is never that way in real life. The really confusing thing about the Alto de Faro is that it is filled with criss-crossing roads that are all unmarked!

View attachment 31271
I think that drawing is the right situation and simplest way to describe the text. Maybe even put it in the guide. Why not? And the text is also very clear. Good work for use of future pilgrims.

Maybe just clear out that crossing (after the windmills with views back to Chantada) over LU-213 & CG-21. You were mentioned PO-533 which I can't see in my Google Maps :confused:
But maybe that's already too much past the Alto do Faro...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back