Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2017 Invierno guide ready for review

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie, what a marathon effort you (and your team of Camino elves) have put into getting a new guide ready. I am so grateful of the work you all do.
I am just crossing fingers that I can get to Spain in May/June to walk. I’ll definitely be a ‘tester’ for the updated version. Thanks again :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie, an hour ago @towanda1961 thread with Invierno video has been revived. Maybe send PM to her & @bimblingalong which also walked it to go through the guide?

Well, I think the most helpful reviewers are those who walked it in 2016 (or have superhuman memories like you and Charrito) or who have never walked it. That way we get people with recent experience who may remember specific things and people who read it with absolutely no knowledge base and can tell me when things don't make sense. But I am happy to take any reviewers who sign up!

I think I may have neglected to thank @omicko for the comments I received from his Invierno. If so, my apologies. And if there's anyone else out there whom I have forgotten, please let me know. This is such a great group effort, and it's important to show how many forum members have helped to produce this document.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, first: Super duper job with the guide!
Second: When is planned release date?

Hi, first: Super duper job with the guide!
Second: When is planned release date?

I am incorporating revisions right now, Göran. If you are leaving soon, send me a PM and I'll send you the most recent version. Chinasky, a forum member, is just back from a January Camino de Invierno and will be sending us updates soon, so I'm going to wait to hear his comments (though I have heard from him that he had a great experience and loved the Invierno -- no surprise there!). I expect that it'll be ready in a few weeks at the latest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My plan is to walk the Invierno in April, I can wait.
My spanish is 'zero' so I can not interpret the post in the Camino de Invierno facebook page. Look for yourself, are there some signs removed?
https://www.facebook.com/caminodeinviernosigloXXI/?fref=ts

Hi, Goran, I don't usually look at facebook, so thanks for pointing this out. A post on January 31 by Teodoro Suárez notes that he had taken some pictures of new mojones (granite waymarkers) in late December and that they have disappeared.

That's crazy, those things are heavy. Another reason to bring our little guidebook, since most of it was written before those fancy mojones got put up. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I mentioned to Laurie when I was going through the updated version of the Invierno Guide that when you leave Ponferrada the shells and arrows point in opposite directions! You can clearly see this on the Facebook Group main photo!

Once you get over the bridge after Puente de Domingo Flórez they are fine!

There is absolutely no problem whatsoever with signposting on the Invierno, unless you're absent-minded and miss one! This happened to me the first time when I was more interested in the fountain in Carballo do Lor (stage from Quiroga to A Pobra do Brollón), and walked for a good couple of kilometres in the wrong direction until I realised!

I mentioned to Laurie when I was going through the updated version of the Invierno Guide that when you leave Ponferrada the shells and arrows point in opposite directions! You can clearly see this on the Facebook Group main photo!
!
Spain needs to make a commom decison on how the shell should be used to show the way. On the Primitivo's Asturia part the way is shown with Santiago being where the lines of the shell come in. Cross into Galicia and, with no indication, it's the other way around.

I think what is in the photo makes much more sense, but then again Ponferrada is not in Galicia but Leon. I can't remember which way arrows point in the rest of Castilla y Leon...

I don't at all like the aesthetics of these new mojones, but that's not my call. And like Anemone I have trouble remembering which way the shell points in this province and that province. Thankfully there are usually arrows underneath to clear up the confusion.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Constant confusion on all Caminos - whether the shells are pointing to Santiago or backwards. But always happy to see them :)

Before my first camino, I was quite concerned about understanding which direction they pointed, thinking it was important. (I read that they changed as you moved west.) I don't worry about that any more even though I might get confused occasionally! At least now I have something to blame for my confusion.

Before my first camino, I was quite concerned about understanding which direction they pointed, thinking it was important. (I read that they changed as you moved west.) I don't worry about that any more even though I might get confused occasionally! At least now I have something to blame for my confusion.
On the Primitivo you do have to know what their position means. On the Frances and the Norte never needed to know.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have already sent copies to Charrito, KinkyOne, Anemone and CClearly. If anyone else wants to offer comments or suggestions, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. I think it's in pretty good shape, but having extra eyes on it is always a good thing.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

You are such a kind and generous forum member. Thank you for all the time and effort you put in to helping other pilgrims! :)

Eilish

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back