• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2017 - planning Second Camino - which route?

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
I completed my first Camino in May to July this year from SJPdP to Santiago/Finisterre & Muxia. Great experience and now that I have settled back into my life I have committed to do my Second camino in 2017. I just need guidance please on which route would be best second time round. I have plenty of time on my hands as I am newly retired and currently am thinking on choosing either Camino del Norte or Via de la Plata. My walking pace is probably 20-25Km per day. I enjoyed the facilities on camino Frances but it was busy especially at start and in end stages approaching Santiago. Having relied on Brierley's book for guidance and maps I am having difficulty identifying a similar book for either of these routes. Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I recommend the Portuguese route. No offense to our Spanish brotherend but if you liked spain, you will love Portugal. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Going through the same questions. Did the Norte to Llanes last fall, the Primitivo this spring. LOVED both, but am curious about the others, and like the idea of having a complété view of a Camino, so I am torn. Also would like to experience a Camino in a country whose language I do not know, so Portuguese from Porto.

I have no reservations suggestion the Norte, from Irun ( I started in San Seb but have kept hearing How the first leg is one of the best, though difficult, but can be done in two stages) and them off to,the Primitivo. I do wonder, since you have done the CF if once in Melide you could find transportation to Ponferrada amd skip the CF and take the invierno for the last bit.

I loved the Camino del Norte - From Irun to Santiago de Compostela. We had planned on diverting to the Primitivo but finished up by staying on the Norte and really enjoyed it all the way. We also used The Northern Caminos (Cicerone) by Dave Whitson and Laura Perazzoli.
I can't comment on the VDLP as I haven't walked it.
We've also loved a couple of the routes in France, but that was not your question.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back