Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Autumn Primitivo

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
There's no better way to spend a cold wintery day than looking back over camino photos... re-reading your blog... and then making a camino slideshow. I always thought that the Via de la Plata was my favourite walk by a mile... but the Primitivo comes a very very close second!

My Primitivo blog starts here : https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2019/09/26/honeysuckle/

Now... all I need to do is decide where next ☺

Levi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2015
VDLP 2016
Portuguese March 2017
Sanabres September 2017
Madrid September 2018
Lovely, Coleen! Thank you so much. I loved the Primitivo too. For me, next year (almost here) the Invierno and the Ruta de la Lana are calling....

Happy New year all! Camino blessings!

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Lovely, Coleen! Thank you so much. I loved the Primitivo too. For me, next year (almost here) the Invierno and the Ruta de la Lana are calling....

Happy New year all! Camino blessings!
They're all calling me 🤭 I really want to walk the Levente and the Madrid but I really think they are best walked in Spring... which I can't do yet. But one plan I have at the moment is Arles/Aragones/Frances/Invierno... although I have a number of very big question marks before I can commit but... well... watch this space :cool: We have booked 8 days on the Lebaniego and Vadiniense for June and I am looking at a little window in May too 😂

Season's Greetings to you too pilgrim :)

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I loved your video and choices of music! I walked the Primitivo in May 2016 and although I did not have too much rain, your walk was graced with lots of sunshine! Thanks for sharing with us!

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I loved your video and choices of music! I walked the Primitivo in May 2016 and although I did not have too much rain, your walk was graced with lots of sunshine! Thanks for sharing with us!
Many thanks... we did have a lot of sun. The first week from the coast was really very warm. The weather changed going over Hospitals sadly so we saw nothing of the views that day... the next after was also rather misty but it did clear after a few days and we were happy in the end. And... now I have a great excuse to go back one spring and try for a better view over the mountain :)

Pronetowander

Camino(s) past & future
July/Aug (2019)
There's no better way to spend a cold wintery day than looking back over camino photos... re-reading your blog... and then making a camino slideshow. I always thought that the Via de la Plata was my favourite walk by a mile... but the Primitivo comes a very very close second!

My Primitivo blog starts here : https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2019/09/26/honeysuckle/

Great memories. Did it in July 2019, lots of familiar places

martin1ws

Camino(s) past & future
Somport to Finisterre Jul-Aug 2018; Munich to Lindau (Germany) Sep 2020
Thank you very much!

Miguel (pilgrim in my first 'camino family' on the Camino Aragones) said, that the Primitivo is his favourite Camino of several caminos.
Hopefully I will be on the Primitivo in August / September 2020... and now I have seen nice pictures to dream of.

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Many thanks... we did have a lot of sun. The first week from the coast was really very warm. The weather changed going over Hospitals sadly so we saw nothing of the views that day... the next after was also rather misty but it did clear after a few days and we were happy in the end. And... now I have a great excuse to go back one spring and try for a better view over the mountain :)
Here are a few of my photos going over the Hospitales route.

Attachments

david46

Should be old enough to know better...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Portugese, St. Jaume, Del Sur, Primitivo, Vadiniense, Salvador, Mozarabe

Beautiful photographs! So atmospheric... Perhaps you should think about doing the Camino San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo - very similar to the Primitivo and equally beautiful.

jennysa

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I don't recommend returning because the Primitivo becomes very addictive and everything else seems tame in comparison. I have walked it 2 years in succession and enjoyed this year even more than last year. I yearn to walk it a third time but am forcing myself to do the Madrid instead.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I don't recommend returning because the Primitivo becomes very addictive and everything else seems tame in comparison. I have walked it 2 years in succession and enjoyed this year even more than last year. I yearn to walk it a third time but am forcing myself to do the Madrid instead.
I too have considered the Madrid, but it seems to get many mixed reviews...I keep it on the "shelf" though.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Beautiful photographs! So atmospheric... Perhaps you should think about doing the Camino San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo - very similar to the Primitivo and equally beautiful.
we had planned to walk Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo this year but we lost a week of our holiday and so switched back to the coast. I really want to walk this route again and so we're thinking spring might be a good time... my husband part retires in 18 months and so it will be high on our to-do list! I was so sad that we had to change our plans but the Primitivo was nonetheless stunning :D

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I too have considered the Madrid, but it seems to get many mixed reviews...I keep it on the "shelf" though.
I think it will be nicer in spring when the fields are full of green wheat and poppies? I love Madrid so it would be nice to visit again and there is a lot of history on the route that I'd like to explore... and it leads us back to the Primitivo via the San Salvador :) Someone told me it grows on you as you walk and it's really pretty so... it's on my list. I also really want to walk the Levante but I think this is another route that will be better in Spring. My husband can't walk in the Spring due to work commitments so we have to wait... but after May 2021 he's free to wander in Spring :cool:

Right now I'm looking out the window and the sky is so blue and the sun is streaming in and everything is saying "come walk"... I'm hopelessly addicted now :)

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I had loosely thought of the Madrid, San Salvador combination for spring, but I always go mid April and I feared the Salvador portion could possibly still be very cold with some snow, so put it back on the shelf for now. I will be walking the 2nd half of the Norte from Oviedo (I walked the first half of the Norte in 2016, but turned on to the Primitivo). Then walk on to Muxia and Finesterre by way of Lires...all with three extended family members this time!

jennysa

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I will let you know - I too have reservations but there are many who rave about it. I will be walking at the end of April.

wildrover

thewildrover
Camino(s) past & future
2015 april c/f. vdlp feb 2016. Norte / primitivo Sep 2016. C/f 12/16. Vdlp 12/17. 12/18. Lana 02/19.

Beautifully constructed!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Le Puy (2016)
Vézelay (2019)
Norte (2019)
Was it really hot at that time of year? When we go walking in France in the summer it can get toooo hot for us but I do wonder what it's like in the spanish mountains?
In the second half of June 2019 it wasn’t hot. Cool most mornings and evenings and highs of 18 to 23. Our hostess in Castro wept that there is no summer now, only autumn and spring. She had to buy in tomatoes. I had mist most mornings in the mountains but good visibility on the hospitales.
John

Elizabeth2018

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014); Madrid, Salvador (2018)

Gorgeous photos. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Camino(s) past & future
2007 Frances, 2013 Via dela plata, 2016 Portugues, 2019 Camino Primitivo, 2013 Via Francigena

Nicely done ! Primitivo a favourite with me too. All those challenging hills ! The Northern this year, and maybe Lisbon to Porto on a bike.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Norte and Frances Sept 6 - Oct 11, 2016

Cant wait to do the Primitivo

Pronetowander

Camino(s) past & future
July/Aug (2019)
Was it really hot at that time of year? When we go walking in France in the summer it can get toooo hot for us but I do wonder what it's like in the spanish mountains?
It was hot some days and much cooler other days and only rained a few days. But I live in Central Asia so i am used to hot temperatures in the Summer. It was never too hot at nights and the temperatures for me were overall comfortable. Arrived in San Diego on Aug 1st and the weekend was hot but it felt like nice holiday weather.

Camino(s) past & future

thank you the video is so lovely to watch, I'll be there this May

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock