• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2019 Statistics

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is there any country in the world not represented on this list? it's mind-blowing!

Nobody from Niger (there wasn't last year, either), and only two from Burkina Faso. Significantly more Britons this year than last, but the big five are always the same: Spain, Italy, Germany, the U.S. and Portugal.

The picture's almost unchanged for the non-Francés routes, with a few exceptions. The Invierno, to which I made a one-man contribution to the numbers this summer, got a nice bump of around 40% over the previous year, and is now above 1,000 finishers for the first time. The two main Portuguese routes also showed significant growth: this year's hands-down winner across all categories is the Coastal, which posted numbers better than 50% higher than in 2018. I imagine that its existing infrastructure is now approaching saturation-point. The Norte, VdlP and Primitivo are virtually unchanged: a relief for those on the latter, which is drawing twice as many pilgrims as it did just a very few years ago. Some modest growth for the Inglés, and among the comparative handful who go on to Fisterra or Muxia. And a respectable bounce for the also-rans (Mozárabe, CPI, etc.). There's no breakdown for those, but I'd guess the recent improvements along the Olvidado might account for a good proportion of the increase.

As for the Francés itself, the number of through-pilgrims beginning at SJPP remains constant at 33,000-odd. The Roncesvalles-starters were down about 10%; likewise those beginning at Pamplona. There must also have been a significant drop-off of at least that much at Burgos. It seems, then, that for most of the way, the crowds were actually a little less densely-packed until Sarria, whose numbers grew by almost a tenth. This is reassuring for those doing the whole thing. The last 100 km is always a zoo; now it's just a little more zoo-like. For the rest, the population has levelled out. At least until the Holy Year, when all these patterns will no doubt be turned on their head.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Kiernan: There‘s no irony. You can do the camino by sailing boat.
Check your pilgrim‘s passport (Credencial). You‘ll find the appropriate symbol ⛵ for it.
A boatfull of Irish pilgrims sailed close to Santiago ( from home) and I think even brought their curragh into to city itself...

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to have data on the numbers leaving SJPDP compared to the numbers who arrive in Santiago?
I was discussing this with someone yesterday. Very hard to estimate drop-out rates because there is no real way of recording how many people set off. Or indeed who arrive but do not receive a Compostela. You do not have to register anywhere. I found one set of figures for comparison though. In 2018 the pilgrim office in SJPDP recorded 57,881 pilgrims departing from there while the Santiago office issued 32,899 Compostelas to people who gave SJPDP as their departure point. A significant difference between the two figures.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There has been some commentary that over 50% drop out although hard to know how to obtain accurate information.
Jean-Louis Aspirot from the SJPP Pilgrims Office said in their FB group some time ago that only 25% of the pilgrims don't reach Compostela and that this figure hasn't changed over the years. No explanation how they arrive at that figure, though. Here are some thoughts:
  • During 2019, about 61,000 pilgrims were registered in SJPP, compared to about 58,000 for the previous year. So let's say 60,000.
  • In Santiago, for 2019, they registered 33,000 with starting point SJPP, 3,200 started in Le Puy and 2,600 started in "resto".
  • Let's assume that the pilgrims with starting point "resto" came from Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Italy, Switzerland and they all passed through SJPP, so that would be a total of some 40,000 pilgrims who had passed through SJPP and arrived in Santiago.
  • So that leaves some 20,000 (60,000-40,000) who had started in or passed through SJPP but did not arrive in Santiago.
Now it gets a bit complicated 🤭: we cannot explain this deficit by the sections walkers because even if people walk only 2 weeks per year, there was a continuous stream of sections walkers along the CF in 2019, ie the ones from 2019, 2018, and 2017 (assuming it takes 6 weeks over 3 years to reach Santiago).

So who makes up the deficit? Walkers who arrive in Compostela but don't set foot into the Pilgrims Office there? Walkers who were forced to abandon their aim of reaching Compostela? Section walkers who never had the opportunity or even the intention of ever reaching Compostela?

I personally know six people who at one time spent the night at SJPP and then walked several sections and that was already several years ago. Four have the intention of maybe one day continuing towards SdC but not in the near future, one enjoyed it but would rather walk in other parts of the world and one had done Burgos-SdC previously and may or may not finish SJPP-Burgos one day. I don't know how representative they are or whether they were even registered at the SJPP Pilgrim's Office ...

Jean-Louis Aspirot from the SJPP Pilgrims Office said in their FB group some time ago that only 25% of the pilgrims don't reach Compostela and that this figure hasn't changed over the years. No explanation how they arrive at that figure, though. Here are some thoughts:
  • During 2019, about 61,000 pilgrims were registered in SJPP, compared to about 58,000 for the previous year. So let's say 60,000.
  • In Santiago, for 2019, they registered 33,000 with starting point SJPP, 3,200 started in Le Puy and 2,600 started in "resto".
  • Let's assume that the pilgrims with starting point "resto" came from Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Italy, Switzerland and they all passed through SJPP, so that would be a total of some 40,000 pilgrims who had passed through SJPP and arrived in Santiago.
  • So that leaves some 20,000 (60,000-40,000) who had started in or passed through SJPP but did not arrive in Santiago.
Now it gets a bit complicated 🤭: we cannot explain this deficit by the sections walkers because even if people walk only 2 weeks per year, there was a continuous stream of sections walkers along the CF in 2019, ie the ones from 2019, 2018, and 2017 (assuming it takes 6 weeks over 3 years to reach Santiago).

So who makes up the deficit? Walkers who arrive in Compostela but don't set foot into the Pilgrims Office there? Walkers who were forced to abandon their aim of reaching Compostela? Section walkers who never had the opportunity or even the intention of ever reaching Compostela?

I personally know six people who at one time spent the night at SJPP and then walked several sections and that was already several years ago. Four have the intention of maybe one day continuing towards SdC but not in the near future, one enjoyed it but would rather walk in other parts of the world and one had done Burgos-SdC previously and may or may not finish SJPP-Burgos one day. I don't know how representative they are or whether they were even registered at the SJPP Pilgrim's Office ...
On my first attempt, I had a serious problem at home and had to quit in Pamploma.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know, I know. I thought @MisterH was beeing ironic. Sorry for the misunderstanding
Not so much a misunderstanding as perhaps an attempt to make a joke that not everyone got. @MisterH made a reference to Google Translate and to "candel" as "being used for transportation". One has to know how to use automatic translation. In translation, context matters. Even a machine like Google Translate is clever enough to know this.

Put just vela into Google Translate and it may give you candle because that's one meaning of the Spanish word in English. Put pie, bicicleta, vela, caballo, silla de ruedas into Google Translate and it will give you foot, bicycle, sail, horse, wheelchair - the five means of travel that are listed in the Oficina's monthly and yearly statistics as they qualify for a Compostela.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Dear Katharine;
Maybe I can give you an explanation. I have gone on countless pilgrimages in Europe. And many of them in Spain and France. On my pilgrimages in France, I have met many French pilgrims who ended their pilgrimage in Saint Jean Pied de Port (Roncevaux/Roncesvalles), some who finished in the Somport Pass, and again others who had Lourdes as their final destination.
Pax et Bonum
Poul Erik

Is there a version in english?
Yes, there is. Although it only containes the data from the pilgrim's office (since 2004) and the graphics:

Attachments

• Camino statistics data.jpg
    Camino statistics data.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Camino statistics graphics.jpg
    Camino statistics graphics.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 52

I'd guess the place to start is to count how many start from SJPdP actually get to Roncesvalle. There may be regiments of Pilgrims wandering lost in between.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
how many start from SJPdP actually get to Roncesvalle
When I finished at SJPdP, the train to Bayonne had about 8 pilgrims who limped onto the train. I don't know how many made it up the mountains, but there are those who do not finish the first day to Orisson/Roncesvalles.

Hola Even if you do not speak Spanish its reasonably easy to "personal translate" these statistics (imho).
I took Spanish in high school, but that was over 60 years ago and I have forgotten some of it. Country names were usually forgotten as were some of the classifications.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my pilgrimages in France, I have met many French pilgrims who ended their pilgrimage in Saint Jean Pied de Port (Roncevaux/Roncesvalles), some who finished in the Somport Pass, and again others who had Lourdes as their final destination.
Of these French pilgrims, only those who set foot into the Pilgrims Office in SJPP appeared in their statistical end of year list ☺. My earlier comment was an attempt to put all these numbers into some kind of meaningful perspective as a tentative answer to someone's question.

The people who collect these data, whether in SJPP or in SdC, are not the most rigorous statisticians in the world. And why should they? SJPP counts the people who visit their office. If they record where these people go next, whether they return home, walk along the Nive valley or over one of the nearest mountain passes, they don't publish it.

I did a quick search and found a comment that during one particular week in one particular month in one particular year, 348 pilgrims passed through the office: 4 stopped in SJPP, 3 walked to Irun and 341 left for the Camino Frances. For the kind of estimates we are doing here, one can ignore those 7 people vs those 341 people. It's a somewhat valid extrapolation, in the absence of more concrete information about these data.

Last edited:
I think it's obvious that the people who collect these data, whether in SJPP or on SdC, are not the most rigorous statisticians in the world. And why should they?
The Santiago Compostela figures are useful for showing trends but they can never be a definitive picture. No one has to register anywhere at the start of their Camino. They do not have to start from fixed locations. They do not have to report a decision to pack it in part way. And they do not have to register with the Santiago pilgrim office on arrival. But the Santiago office does at least publish a lot of information on the people it has actually heard about :) I have been trying to find any vaguely accurate figures for numbers walking the Via Francigena and I am drawing a blank. The Vatican does not publish details of the number of Testimoniums it gives out. The best kept records on the VF seem to be those of Danilo the ferryman on the Po near Piacenza. But his records obviously only cover those who are walking well north on the route and only those who choose to cross by ferry rather than walk the north bank and cross by bridge as I did. By comparison with the VF the Santiago and SJPDP statistics are encyclopedic :)

Edit: Stop press news - I managed to find some Testimonium figures :cool: Not in huge detail but it does give some basis for comparison with the Caminos. In 2018 9,372 Testimoniums were issued in Rome. So a little way to go before they catch up with Santiago's 347,578 :)

Last edited:
Edit: Stop press news - I managed to find some Testimonium figures :cool: Not in huge detail but it does give some basis for comparison with the Caminos. In 2018 9,372 Testimoniums were issued in Rome. So a little way to go before they catch up with Santiago's 347,578 :)
Although still almost twice as many as Santiago was issuing only 30 years ago (which may seem like a long time but is actually pretty short in the more than a thousand year history of the pilgrimages).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Although still almost twice as much as Santiago was issuing only 30 years ago (which may seem like a long time but is actually pretty short in the more than a thousand year history of the pilgrimages).
Yes - pretty close to the number of Compostelas issued in 1992. And that in itself was almost double the number in 1990! Things were growing fast then. The 1993 Holy Year saw a ten-fold jump in numbers. Would be interesting to see a blip like that in 2021 :cool:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Monthly stats are indeed there. Go to https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/
The lower set of dropdowns. Select a year, then month, then click Refrescar. (You have to select a year other than 2004 to start with to have it work.)

Haven't yet had the time to wade into this yet but did take a quick look at male and female Compostela numbers. The trend that began at least two decades ago continues. In 2019 the ratio of men to women compostelas was 0.95, down from 2018's 0.99. Again, fewer men than women. See attached.

Attachments

• M-F ratio 91-19.pdf
    61.9 KB · Views: 5
Monthly stats are indeed there. Go to https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/
The lower set of dropdowns. Select a year, then month, then click Refrescar. (You have to select a year other than 2004 to start with to have it work.)

Haven't yet had the time to wade into this yet but did take a quick look at male and female Compostela numbers. The trend that began at least two decades ago continues. In 2019 the ratio of men to women compostelas was 0.95, down from 2018's 0.99. Again, fewer men than women. See attached.
I feel terribly stupid... but when I click for instance december 2019, I have to add together the continents to see the total number.. Do you see it right away?

I feel terribly stupid... but when I click for instance december 2019, I have to add together the continents to see the total number.. Do you see it right away?
Nope, monthly totals are not in view. Adding men and women is faster than adding continents but requires scrolling down.

I think there's a concept in the world of content design that is called usability, though ... 🤭

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wonder who the other person from Fiji was and when they walked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@MarieLauFlorin, did you notice the Comparativa function? It's at the end of the list of months in the drop down menu. Click away a continent or two, or all the starting places except one. Great fun. There's, inexplicably, a bug in some years but it works fine for 2019.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back