• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2020 GPS APPs

BruceS

Time of past OR future Camino
CF late 2020 or April 2021
"Pocket Earth" APP is said to be excellent and with extensive data.
Unfortunately it is only available for iPhone/Apple.
Does anyone know if an equally good one is available for Android Cell/Mobile phones?
I commence CF on 20 April from SJPdP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I strongly recommend OsmAND. You can download 7 maps for free and you never lost with this app. Even you can find what you want like market, tourism place, and so on. It is offline map based app, so no need connection. Also you can use this app as a navigator when you driving.

For a few quid you can buy any number of apps for the Frances and they're all pretty good and work offline. I like Trailsmart very much, and have used Wisely, or Wise Pilgrim or whatever it's called now. Remember you can always download them when you're there, using WiFi or if you have bought a local sim card you can use data. If you're European your data counts the same as if you're in your home EU country.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use OSMAnd+ on my phone and tablet. That said, I still carry a Garmin Etrex series handheld and download the latest OSM mapping before I go. I have tried maps.me and didn't continue with it. Downloading a region in Google Maps is also worth considering if you don't think you will want to use expensive mobile data.

You are looking for special app for Camino Frances.
Offline maps, of course. See what these have to offer:
- Camino de Santiago Companion
- Wisely + Frances: A Wise Pilgrim Guide
Train them for free. If feels good, pay the small sum and then
get really used to all features.
These are much better than general mapping programs without
special info for albergues, water posts etc.
I prefere the Companion.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
mmmmartin
Thanks "mmmmartin" and "Oddyspapa" and others.
I am looking into them now....
best part I donot have to buy an expensive iPhone!
Thanks. BruceS/Sydney
If you use OSMAnd with Camino Pilgrim app, there is no need any others.

I use Gaiagps app It works well for me here I don't know about there for the Camino as I will not be there until the end of April tentatively. But I will have my Garmin GPS 64s with me also it is tested and true.

Cheers

Highly recommend the Windy Maps app that's available on Google Play. It actually has all the caminos marked and saved my bacon a few times on the VDLP.

It's free too. Absolutely no need to pay for any apps when there is so much information available for free. I use a combination of Gronze.com with Windy Maps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use Maps.me. It's free and available of both iPhone and Android.

I appreciate the advice you all have shared re Maps, Data etc for Android.
I have looked at most and will continue to find the one best for me.
Of interest 'Gronze.com' could not be translated on my iMac, but could on my old Windows 7.
I will see how it works on my Android Nokia7.
Regards and appreciation. BruceS

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.