• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2021 Camino Frances - will be more expensive !

BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
During our first Camino Frances (2015), my wife and I spent on average 35 euros / day / person. We mostly stayed in municipal albergues, and only a few overnights in hotels or private albergues. During our second camino (2017), we hiked with my brother and his wife. We stayed mostly in "quad rooms", a few private albergues, and a few municipal albergues. We averaged 50 euros / day / person. During our last camino (2019), we stayed in private rooms every night and I did not keep records of daily expenses.

Since the dollar has weakened vs the euro, I was curious how much more the camino frances would be if we stayed in the same places as 2017 using the 2017 rate vs the current rate. On 1 Oct 2017, the euro was $1.1776 vs current rate $1.22. Some quick math suggests that at the current exchange rate, our camino would cost $183 more.

In reality, a 2021 will likely be higher. I made most of our private room reservations for our 2021 camino in July, 2020. A few days ago, I "spot checked" the rates on Booking.com. In several cases, a private room cost has increased several euros compared to the rate I locked in this summer. Some prices have increased as much as 20 euros higher for the same day, same albergue. In one case, in which I negotiated directly with the hotel, I was quoted 85 euros for a private room without breakfast. I checked Booking.com and the room price had dropped to 74 euros, including breakfast! I sent the hotel and email and pointed this out, and they were happy to drop my room rate to 74 euros, including breakfast.

Bottom line, whenever the Camino Frances opens again, it will be more expensive. Many places are now accepting reservations. I don't mind the added expense. We can't wait to be hiking our beloved Camino Frances again next fall ! BCB

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bottom line, whenever the Camino Frances opens again, it will be more expensive. Many places are now accepting reservations. I don't mind the added expense. We can't wait to be hiking our beloved Camino Frances again next fall ! BCB
My thoughts exactly. Works for me, but many others who count their pennies, especially younger folks, may have to find a way around these new potential challenges.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While perhaps a little more expensive, I think if a person still stayed in Albergues as the primary lodging, the difference would be negligible (<€100 total or €3/night overall). Enjoy a couple of group dinners at the Albergues per week instead of menu del dias and you can recover those extra costs :)

While perhaps a little more expensive, I think if a person still stayed in Albergues as the primary lodging, the difference would be negligible (<€100 total or €3/night overall). Enjoy a couple of group dinners at the Albergues per week instead of menu del dias and you can recover those extra costs :)
Or have the menu del dia instead of eating at fine Spanish restaurants with Michelin stars...I've yet to experience one of those.🙄

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
During our first Camino Frances (2015), my wife and I spent on average 35 euros / day / person. We mostly stayed in municipal albergues, and only a few overnights in hotels or private albergues. During our second camino (2017), we hiked with my brother and his wife. We stayed mostly in "quad rooms", a few private albergues, and a few municipal albergues. We averaged 50 euros / day / person. During our last camino (2019), we stayed in private rooms every night and I did not keep records of daily expenses.

Since the dollar has weakened vs the euro, I was curious how much more the camino frances would be if we stayed in the same places as 2017 using the 2017 rate vs the current rate. On 1 Oct 2017, the euro was $1.1776 vs current rate $1.22. Some quick math suggests that at the current exchange rate, our camino would cost $183 more.

In reality, a 2021 will likely be higher. I made most of our private room reservations for our 2021 camino in July, 2020. A few days ago, I "spot checked" the rates on Booking.com. In several cases, a private room cost has increased several euros compared to the rate I locked in this summer. Some prices have increased as much as 20 euros higher for the same day, same albergue. In one case, in which I negotiated directly with the hotel, I was quoted 85 euros for a private room without breakfast. I checked Booking.com and the room price had dropped to 74 euros, including breakfast! I sent the hotel and email and pointed this out, and they were happy to drop my room rate to 74 euros, including breakfast.

I believe when you lock-in a rate with booking.com......the establishment cannot change the lock-in rate. However, if the exchange rate fluctuates then the price may vary bit. Sometimes, if you can book early and get a rate you are happy with and still can cancel free of chargelater, booking early can be advantageous.

Last edited:
Or have the menu del dia instead of eating at fine Spanish restaurants with Michelin stars...I've yet to experience one of those.🙄

Most of us realize the albergues and owners have had a difficult time this year, so if we can afford to spend a bit more on our normal accommodations we will gladly do so! Some have been asking what we can do to help the owners? I, for one, will happily pay a bit more without complaint.

Normally, we eat at a restaurant 1X per day....but never Micheln quality. Sometimes we eat the Pilgrim Menu or the Menu del dia, but often we get an inexpensive chicken cutlet and salad for around €6.90. Normally, we rarely eat breakfast at our accommodation because we want to leave earlier and it can be less expensive to buy the food in a grocery store. We do stop for coffee.

However, we will also make an effort in 2021 to spend a bit more on food, as long as we can sit outside and eat. It will be a way to support the Camino owners. If you can spend a bit more this coming year, please do so!

Last edited:
Well I’ve saved the cost of this year’s full camino (and probably another week on a shorter route); the pubs are shut in much of the UK and it looks like being a quiet Christmas.

Whilst recognising that the prospect of any international holiday is unaffordable to many, from my privileged position I think that my 2020 savings will cover inflation for some time to come.
The operators of the exceptionally low-cost accommodation and catering on which many peregrinos rely also deserve the chance to slowly recoup their losses in due course. If they survive 2020 it will be at the expense of personal savings in many cases. If my €10 menu suddenly cost €12, I’d swallow it - literally and metaphorically.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am one of the people that has never done a camino before, so when I finally get to do it, I won't feel sadness at the prices, as I won't know what this alburgue or that meal used to cost.

I should count that as one of the blessings in disguise of having to miss out on the camino I had planned earlier this year.

Another blessing is the fact that I've had extra time to save money, as if I had gone on my original planned date, finances would have been very tight.

Hola @BROWNCOUNTYBOB A good post which covers an issue that is often asked about by first time pilgrims. A couple of points - the camino with your brother - any chance there was an increase in beer and wine???
As for daily expenses in 2021 I agree there is likely to be an increase in costs. Given that 2021 is a Holy Year which in normal circumstances would see a marked increase in pilgrims. With COVID 19 this may not eventuate. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don’t think they would let me and my dusty hiking boots in a Michelin starred establishment even if I could afford it :D
You would be surprised. Many 1 and 2 star places are surprisingly humble and run by people more passionate about food than the state of their clients’ footwear. Set menus, especially at lunch time are often affordable so long as you don’t stray too far down the wine list.

when you get to 3 star, it can be a whole different ball-game where the assessors appraise the quality of the glassware and table linen as much as the food.

there are exceptions but the ‘value’ (a very subjective term) is in the rural 1 stars, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Personally, i hope that there will be a way for the less fortunate pilgrims to enjoy the camino in the future.
For myself, i do not really care as much. With my business it is becoming more and more a question of time instead of money (at least in camino quantities).
So 2021 will propably be about finding a balance between helping people recover from the lockdown(s) and not ruining prices for people with less money. But i am hopeful that the camino will continue to be a place for everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To put a UK perspective on the "soaring" costs of Camino: I've been route planning and assessing accommodation options for walking both the Thames Path, Kemble to Tower Bridge, and The Wye from Plynlimon to Chepstow. Accommodation, mainly Pub B&B, is coming out between £1500 & £2000, £100+ a night, evening meal on top. Travel's a bit of a pain too. A train to Kemble from home is considerably dearer than a flight to Madrid and train to just about anywhere in Spain.

Still, I will at least be walking even if my wallet is wincing.

You would be surprised. Many 1 and 2 star places are surprisingly humble and run by people more passionate about food than the state of their clients’ footware. Set menus, especially at lunch time are often affordable so long as you don’t stray too far down the wine list.

when you get to 3 star, it can be a whole different ball-game where the assessors appraise the quality of the glassware and table linen as much as the food.

there are exceptions but the ‘value’ (a very subjective term) is in the rural 1 stars, in my opinion.

Absolutely! The set menus in those places ( like Michelin says : Vaux le détour ) are worth every euro. They don't mind muddy shoes. The three star places are different of course but their set menu is also way more than 20 €.

Last edited:
I am one of the people that has never done a camino before, so when I finally get to do it, I won't feel sadness at the prices, as I won't know what this alburgue or that meal used to cost.

I should count that as one of the blessings in disguise of having to miss out on the camino I had planned earlier this year.

Another blessing is the fact that I've had extra time to save money, as if I had gone on my original planned date, finances would have been very tight.
Linder, You will have an experience for sure when you do go. I am not sure which camino you will do but I would assume it is the Camino Frances. I have no idea what the costs will be in the future when we can go or what the exchange rate will be either.
What I can tell you is that with each pilgrim comes a different reason to go and a different experience and a different way to travel and eat and sleep. I have walked 5 caminos and over 4500K and can tell you the prices have gone up over the years but for me it is just a little. I sleep almost entirely in donativos, municipal albergues and sometimes private ones. I have slept in a few 1 star pensions but only when I have been sick. I always eat breakfast if the albergue provides, usually if it is not a donativo it is a couple of euros. I shop almost every evening for my lunches and snacks during the day. At night if there is a communal meal I will participate. If there are kitchen facilities I usually will eat with new friends I have met along the way or with others in the albergue. I have had fantastic meals with awesome memories that on most nights cost at most 5 or 6 Euros as everyone is chipping in. I have had Korean, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Ghanan, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish the list goes on and on. I have also had plenty of very simple meals of salad, or pasta or chicken. The food is always pretty good, and usually better than your basic pilgrim menu but the company is 5 star. Last year I walked a winter camino on the Camino Frances. I doubt I spent more than 30 Euros a day more than a few times. There were lots of days I spent under 25. It just depends on how you want to go. I may not eat at Michelin star restaurants (obviously I would love to when I am home but can't afford it) but I have as wonderful memories and experiences as anyone else. Any way you go remember listen to your body and all you have in the world is what is on your back and the step you are taking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for this thread. I've been wondering about the costs going higher as the CF re-opens. Not going to stop me from walking, as I consider it both a pilgrimage and a chance to support those who have suffered through the pandemic and just happened to be in the hospitality business along a very famous route. We live in a tourist area of the US and our local businesses are down 70-80% in their traffic, year over year. I suspect the CF private operators of hostels and gites are similarly impacted and I will be staying at them nightly, with little thought to the costs, just to support the locals and help them recover. [Note: my perspective on the costs of the CF and CP changed a bit when my wife gifted me a 10-day bicycling tour through the Jura Range (started in Geneva, rode to Basel, then into France and back to Geneva -- 750KM of hard climbing and riding). The cost of that 10 day bike tour was more than I spent on the CF and CP combined!! It was a grand ride and the food and accommodations were wonderful, but I'll be walking Caminos from now on just as a personal preference. The cost is minimal, particularly when one looks at the alternatives around the globe, and personally, the slower pace and lovely people and mental health benefits are priceless. ]
Buen Camino

To put a UK perspective on the "soaring" costs of Camino: I've been route planning and assessing accommodation options for walking both the Thames Path, Kemble to Tower Bridge, and The Wye from Plynlimon to Chepstow. Accommodation, mainly Pub B&B, is coming out between £1500 & £2000, £100+ a night, evening meal on top. Travel's a bit of a pain too. A train to Kemble from home is considerably dearer than a flight to Madrid and train to just about anywhere in Spain.

Still, I will at least be walking even if my wallet is wincing.
Great. I thought you would have a view Tincatinker, what with the prices of transport in England.
From New Zealand we are all saving a fortune as accessing Spain is other side of the world. We will be back for the finish leg of Camino Frances again ASAP x

I believe when you lock-in a rate with booking.com......the establishment cannot change the lock-in rate. However, if the exchange rate fluctuates then the price may vary bit. Sometimes, if you can book early and get a rate you are happy with and still can cancel free of chargelater, booking early can be advantageous.
A good way to support the local accommodation owners is to book direct, not through booking agencies. In most cases they will match the lower rate or better it directly or indirectly and still be better off. As convenient as the agencies are they come at a cost to the establishment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Friends, the cost of accommodation on a camino in Spain may be higher next year, and you may find that the places where you wished to stay are no longer there, as the owners have gone out of business. Many of us on the forum are longing to walk, after a year when the pandemic made it impossible. A few days ago, I was feeling low about my chances, sinking deeper and deeper into depression. Then, while scanning some forum posts, I noticed that a place on the Frances where I had stayed a year ago was still requesting financial help. Suddenly, it occurred to me to give a Christmas gift to the owner. Yes, I had already given something in the spring, in the early days of the pandemic. But that was a long time ago and the need might be even greater now. I sent off my donation via PayPal, and at once felt better. A few days later, a reply assured me that my gift was much appreciated. When the time is right, I expect to head for the camino. I hope to not see any closed albergues where I stayed on previous walks. If we all give what we can, maybe their chances to survive will improve.

Great. I thought you would have a view Tincatinker, what with the prices of transport in England.
Its a laugh innit. Costs me more by rail or taxi to do 26 miles to Gatwick than it does to fly Gatwick to Madrid. I walked it once, just 'cos I could, but 26 miles is pushing my old bones these days.

Transport aside, a flight to NZ even if they'd let me in is to far & to much, I can budget 100 days on Camino or 15 days in this benighted isle. I could probably walk the Francigena for my Thames Way budget and come home with some souvenirs. All these things are both relative and irrelevant. If the gods grant me another camino I'll take it and pay my coin. And if I end up sleeping in a ditch, well that's where I was born - all wheels turn full circles.

Don’t think they would let me and my dusty hiking boots in a Michelin starred establishment even if I could afford it :D
One of my most memorable Camino experiences involved a Michelin starred restaurant on the chemin piemont about six years ago.
The restaurant had evidently volunteered for pilgrim duty. I was referred to the location by the visitor center and when I arrived I was lead through the dining room with white linen and candles on the tables to A simple table in the corner of the bar’s work area.
I was given an excellent meal but with no choice of what I was eating. Evidently pilgrims were served whatever the kitchen had over estimated the demand for that night. It was delicious!
This dinner was accompanied by half a glass a very good wine. I was trying to make this last through a generous meal when someone showed me a shelf of wine bottles all with less than one glass of wine remaining in each. (I speak no French). I was encouraged to drink whatever I wanted. They had saved the leftovers for pilgrims.
The bed was in a small room adjacent to the store room and I was trusted to let myself out the next morning and shown how to lock the door behind me. The cost was modest.
Sadly I can’t remember the name of either the town or the restaurant. It was on the eastern half of the Camino and at this point I had been walking serval weeks and had not seen another pilgrim.

I have dined, en tenue du pelèrin (tr: evidently tromping clothes, but more or less clean) in three Michelin restaurants and was treated with with civility and respect 2 of the 3--- in the third the waiter was problematic but the owner saw this and shooed him away, and served me himself, with after-dinner brandy on the house. One set menu was 16 euro and easily the equivalent of a $100 meal in Montréal. Another was 18 euro. At one of them, my walking companion and I were the object of much interest by other patrons and I think we are to be found in a few slide shows. Much wonder was focussed on our packs, helpfully propped in a corner by the waiter.

More useful are the small restaurants, usually just off the main plaza, where the menu de dia can be found in the evening as well as at mid-day-- in recent years this ranged from 9 euro to 15 euro and was usually decent home cooking. I've not been to Spain this year and cannot tell you what the prices are, but while they are likely to be higher than before, I think that the increase will be manageable for many of us.

While I never skimped myself and slept comfortably in pensions and casas rurales, I spoke with many pilgrims who were doing their best to keep their costs down-- many of the younger Spanish and French pilgrims were either students or in the gig economy. They managed with albergue dinners and light meals made up from a quick call into the mercado.

I wonder if the repeat pilgrims (especially the maniacally repeating pilgrims, such as myself) find that the creature comforts of the trail acquire an excessive proportion of our focus, as the ebullience and thrill of coming into a pueblo for the first time occupy less of our attention. But perhaps that's another thread.

€149,-
Well I’ve saved the cost of this year’s full camino (and probably another week on a shorter route); the pubs are shut in much of the UK and it looks like being a quiet Christmas.

Whilst recognising that the prospect of any international holiday is unaffordable to many, from my privileged position I think that my 2020 savings will cover inflation for some time to come.
The operators of the exceptionally low-cost accommodation and catering on which many peregrinos rely also deserve the chance to slowly recoup their losses in due course. If they survive 2020 it will be at the expense of personal savings in many cases. If my €10 menu suddenly cost €12, I’d swallow it - literally and metaphorically.
Life’s great conundrum, your time or your money. As my Dad said, “coffins don’t have cash registers.”

The title of this thread:

"2021 Camino Frances - will be more expensive !"

is IMHO a bit/very misleading: It should have been:

"2021 Camino Frances - will be a bit less cheap."

Why?

Walking the Camino(s) in Spain is probably the cheapest way of enjoying a Mediterranian country holiday (for some/all). Come on: We all know that the prices in Spain are extremely low, compared to most countries. And Spain is offering great walks, good cuisine, GREAT wines & beers, and a friendly, hospitable people.

I, for one, will expect/hope the prices to rise somewhat. We are walking mostly in rural areas, the locals have depending on us for their income, we have been away for a year now, and they have to compensate for it (If their businesses have survided at all). I can only imagine what it must have been like for so many of our good helpers along the various Caminos, losing a year of pilgrim income. It feels in my heart.

As a happy walker also in the future (for sure!), I am prepared to share my (not so much) money with the people along the Camino(s) who make it possible for me to walk again.

I can twist an old saying/mantra:

"The Camino will give you what you need, not necessarily what you want"

to

"The pilgrims will return and give you what you need, not necessarily what you want".

I hope so. I have much pain for the good people along the Camino now,

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking the Camino(s) in Spain is probably the cheapest way of enjoying a Mediterranian country holiday (for some/all). Come on: We all know that the prices in Spain are extremely low, compared to most countries. And Spain is offering great walks, good cuisine, GREAT wines & beers, and a friendly, hospitable people.
How quickly many people lose sight of this awesome and inexpensive treasure called Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked 2019. On average the Albergues dinners were more expensive than menu del dias. The only time the dinners were offered were when there were no other meal options in the area.

The whole world will be more expensive. Those travelling via airplane etc will soon realise that when they see the rise in the cost of their airfares.

I have long thought it hugely amusing that folks travel from all ends of the earth at great cost then try to scalp the cost at the donativos.

Many, and not just the youth, see the pilgrimage as an excuse to drink way more alcohol than they normally would at home. In fact there are many blogs and YT videos that seem to revel in this aspect alone. Complaints abound about the alcohol driven loud chattering late in the evening in Albergues. So in my opinion Most can afford a 10 or even 30 percent rise in the cost of Albergues.

After all there are very few minimum wage workers who can take the time off from supporting their families to even contemplate doing this pilgrimage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked 2019. On average the Albergues dinners were more expensive than menu del dias. The only time the dinners were offered were when there were no other meal options in the area.
Maybe @jozero meant the kind of albergue dinners where pilgrims pitch in on groceries and cook their own meal in the albergue.

Agreed ( edit: just saw @trecile post and she was correct!). I was actually referring to communal dinners where a group comes together to share costs at the local grocery store and make their own meals. Usually I found these to cost €3-€6 per person which helps with daily expenses and creates a great sense of community :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The title of this thread:

"2021 Camino Frances - will be more expensive !"

is IMHO a bit/very misleading: It should have been:

"2021 Camino Frances - will be a bit less cheap."

Why?

I, for one, will expect/hope the prices to rise somewhat. We are walking mostly in rural areas, the locals have depending on us for their income, we have been away for a year now, and they have to compensate for it (If their businesses have survided at all). I can only imagine what it must have been like for so many of our good helpers along the various Caminos, losing a year of pilgrim income. It feels in my heart.

As a happy walker also in the future (for sure!), I am prepared to share my (not so much) money with the people along the Camino(s) who make it possible for me to walk again.

I can twist an old saying/mantra:

"The Camino will give you what you need, not necessarily what you want"

to

"The pilgrims will return and give you what you need, not necessarily what you want".

I hope so. I have much pain for the good people along the Camino now,
I agree with you , some Albergues and meals were way too cheap and no business could or should sustain that tight margin of profit . I just hope they will still be in operation when I return . Most were most helpful and friendly .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

well, let us wait and see, what 2021 will bring. I definitely will not be going next year.

Our world has been hurt by this pandemic and Spain has suffered more than many as they already had huge unemployment and the Camino economy added to that hurt. Think of it as a hand up, helping our friends recover. Not mercy but honest generosity , we will all feel better sharing, volunteering and sauntering.

Wear your posh evening Crocs...they will be sure to let you in.😛
I can attest to 2 occurrences (both slightly different but "fit" as per this part of thread)

1. in 2011 while on layover in Lima from just concluded Machu Picchu hike my son & I decided to visit Astrid y Gaston (which at the time was rated one of the 10 Best Restaurants to eat in the World - to be fair I truly do not remember where this rating came from.... but suffice to say that was the standing at the time... I think by 2017 it was one of 50 best...)
In any case - here we were - no reservation and quite shabby by all standards (I guess not by a Pilgrim standards ;)). So we were seated at the side (bar?) room - not the main dining. Did we mind? Heck NO and the staff was awesome and helpful and we had ourselves a mouthful of delish delicacies!

2. fast forward to 2016 and here are my wife and I going for Tea at Claridges in London. While I did have a nice shirt, V-neck pullover and wore a tie - for the footwear I resorted to the black-colored CMUK sneakers!
Gave them a nice wipe and a buff (no comments from @Camino Chrissy :p) and off I went with no problems (hence confirming what CMUK "told" me that the sneaks are good from plain street walking to being dressy enough to go out)

€149,-
Hi CW!
I always figure by the time I sit down at the table, nothing matters much from the waist down.😅
My son was once chased down in a cruise ship dining room for wearing improper apparel at dinner...I tried to tell him before we left our room to put his suit and tie on.🙄

Inevitable so happy to pay. 2022 is looking good for my plans!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our world has been hurt by this pandemic and Spain has suffered more than many as they already had huge unemployment and the Camino economy added to that hurt. Think of it as a hand up, helping our friends recover. Not mercy but honest generosity , we will all feel better sharing, volunteering and sauntering.
As Bronco Billy (Clint Eastwood, awful film) would say "Handouts you get from the government, hand ups you get from a friend"

Hi, lets just hope when can get out there in 21 / 22 !
On whatever variant of the Camino !
Anmd maybe use one of the vouchers of 2020......

Admitting I have not read this entire thread. . .
Is there a fairly current price list of albergues on the Frances anywhere on here?

Would love to hear from former pilgrims their thoughts on the possibility of hotels only in 2022 for the Camino Frances and how to effectively book them. My husband is 6’10” and is too long for bunk beds. I understand what will be missed by not staying in Albergues. Any guidance would be appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would love to hear from former pilgrims their thoughts on the possibility of hotels only in 2022 for the Camino Frances and how to effectively book them. My husband is 6’10” and is too long for bunk beds. I understand what will be missed by not staying in Albergues. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Might want to start a new post..
But I book mostly with booking.com. There are other options such as agoda.com, or hotels.com, or the hotel directly. I like to use one source such as booking because if I have to cancel a number of reservationsor shift reservations everything is together then together on one site. Cancellations vary by hotel so pay attention to cancellation options when booking.

Last edited:
Succinct!
And accurate. There isn’t a definitive list of albergues which will exist by the end of 2021.

However one looks at it, there are few parts of Europe where there exists such a number of inexpensive places to stay and eat as are to be found along the Camino Frances.

At the risk of sounding excessively smug and whilst ‘checking my privilege’ or whatever one has to do these days, if the cost of the Camino Frances (airfares excepted) causes you concern now or in the future, the only less expensive option is likely to be staying at home.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gronze.com is also a good resource
When using booking.com it's a good idea to check on Gronze to see which hotels, pensions, etc. are on or close to the Camino. Don't rely on getting that information from booking.com!
Also, Gronze will have a link to Booking.com for those places that are in their system.

P.S. If you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate Gronze to English (or the language of your choice)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back