• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2021 Le Puy budget

vjpdx

camino-curious
Time of past OR future Camino
The title is the question. For those of you who have Le-Puy'd recently or those of you who live in France, what should I budget for daily costs in euros?

Particularly, what about food costs? I know that I will probably demi-pension most of the time, but if I decide to go out and have something a little better than a croque-monsieur, how much should I allow for that? Ditto a cafe au lait avec une baguette or a Napolean gâteau.

I'll be staying at gites, auberges and if worse comes to worse, a chambre de hôtes or a hôtel.

I'm just starting my deep dive into learning about the Le Puy Chemin, but first I need to know if I can afford this.

Thanks much in advance - Vicki

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bonjour Vicki. It’s a long time since I walked the Le Puy (2014) so others will surely have more current information … but some thoughts.

Miam Miam Dodo (yum yum , sleep) is a popular guidebook for the Le Puy. Not sure if available in English but even in French the symbols (and $$) are easy to understand. This will give you an idea of cost of room only or Demi Pensione.

I recall at first I thought it was going to be MUCH more expensive than Spain but when you factor in that your dinner, bed and breakfast is paid for when you take Demi Pensione, then the difference is not so great. In some gites , depending on the area, the gite owner will offer lunches to take with you.

Generally, back in 2014, I found the gites to be very comfortable, with smaller dormitories and frequently share rooms for 2, 3 and 4 pèlerins.

I loved the Le Puy way. Hope it works out for you.

Bon chemin
Jenny

PS. Le Puy en Velay is a glorious town, in my view, with a strong pilgrim feel. It is well worth a full day before you depart. The early morning pilgrim service at the cathedral is a memorable way to begin your chemin. Go,with your backpack ready to walk. After the service you’ll walk down the steep stairs and begin the walk out of Le Puy - be prepared to climb!

Just finished the Voie Le Puy, it's a wonderful walk. My budget had a wide range of daily expenses since I used gîtes as well as camped (not uncommon) and enjoyed both. Gîte with demi pension was 32 to 40 Euros, and there were some fantastic meals. Restaurant meals were 12-20, but really depends, there's a wide range. Pizza is plentiful and quite good for a change of pace. Also I liked the kebab diners. And many pilgrims will go to a supermarket to get salads and lunch foods. So there are sufficient options depending on your tastes.
Bon chemin!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The title is the question. For those of you who have Le-Puy'd recently or those of you who live in France, what should I budget for daily costs in euros?

Particularly, what about food costs? I know that I will probably demi-pension most of the time, but if I decide to go out and have something a little better than a croque-monsieur, how much should I allow for that? Ditto a cafe au lait avec une baguette or a Napolean gâteau.

I'll be staying at gites, auberges and if worse comes to worse, a chambre de hôtes or a hôtel.

I'm just starting my deep dive into learning about the Le Puy Chemin, but first I need to know if I can afford this.

Thanks much in advance - Vicki
I budgeted with the app “Trail Wallet” just to manually track my daily average. It was super handy, and it kept me honest 😉 In reviewing it, it looks like I budgeted $40 USD a day. My total budget for the Le Puy was about $1600 USD.

I returned from walking the Le Puy as far as Condom. In retrospect I believe I averaged about 50e, not dollars, a day. I stayed in gites, about 15-20E without demipsension and 30 - 45e with DP for single person. I also stayed in some chambre d'hotes (bed and breakfasts) ranging from 50 - 70e single person.
I carried some food with me for lunch - ie. cheese, fruit, bread- either left from breakfast or purchased at market or bakery, which sometimes sold sandwiches. Drinks in a cafe might cost 2 - 10e depending on the drink and the location. A menu de jour was between 10-15e but more expensive in tourist towns like Lectoure and La Romieu and generally a good meal - less expensive than dinner. Factor in costs for transport to and from the chemin- including Covid tests- and if you are having baggage transported and if you want to visit some sites/museums (about 5e entry) like the treasury in Conques, the cloisters in Moissac and the Collegiate in La Romieu. That should give you a pretty good idea. Bon chemin.

Also the food on the Le Puy is to die for. Every single meal I had at gîtes (most of them were demi pensions) were absolutely fantastic. The breakfasts are simple (baguette, jam and butter, coffee or tea), so you may need more sustenance…

Most of the smaller cities have a wide array of food choices. In Cahors I found myself at a shawarma/Persian cafe not once, but twice. Cheap and delicious, and a nice break from the usual fare.

Remember in France many businesses close Sundays, and even Mondays. Which means visiting the grocery store or mini-mart on Saturday to stock up snacks, fruit, cheeses and baguettes for midday le piqnique!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just came back from my walk from Le Put to St Jean Pied de Port, and yes as everybody has stated, it is a bit more expensive. As one poster mentioned above the gites with demi-pension evens it out or cut down on expenses, etc. Without getting into a fourty-five minute lecture, i will offer on great piece of a advice: bring a phone that will work in France. My walk was a bit crowed and this required me to make bookings via the internet most of the time in France at hotels or inns, which cost a little more. Get the Miam Miam Dodo guide (as everyone says it's in French, but you will understand it) and it will indicate the owners who speak English. (If you speak French then you can call any of them). I highly advise when making a rez, to request demi-pension, dinner and bkfst. This will not only secure a bed and your meals, you will be eating with fellow pilgrims. Again, if you bring a phone that works in France, it will be worth its weight in gold. If I had brought one, I would have cut down on expenses. If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck

Bon Chemin

Mark

i will offer on great piece of a advice: bring a phone that will work in France.
Great advice, Mark, and thank you! I am planning on buying a burner phone, but have vacillated between buying it in France or in Spain (mostly, this hinges on which country I fly into) - because I hope to do the Francés or another Spanish camino after getting to SJPdP. But if I have a French phone, I'd still be able to use it in Spain, yes? I'm assuming so.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great advice, Mark, and thank you! I am planning on buying a burner phone, but have vacillated between buying it in France or in Spain (mostly, this hinges on which country I fly into) - because I hope to do the Francés or another Spanish camino after getting to SJPdP. But if I have a French phone, I'd still be able to use it in Spain, yes? I'm assuming so.
The phone shouldn’t matter. It’s the SIM card that’s important. Various providers will offer a sim that works in a range of European countries. Maybe your own provider will have such a plan for while you’re travelling. If you want a separate phone, and have an old one lying around that should work too.

Take a look at this excellent resource that Dave just shared. accommodations-and-services-on-the-le-puy-route.72418

As far as making a reservation is concerned, I also found that it was very advantageous to have your host help in making your next few bookings. The community of Gite owners know each other well and I often found their recommendations excellent. It also helps that they can vouch for you, and your future host can be assured that you won't skip out on your reservation.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. I'm hoping to go at the end of June and see now that I can budget around 45 Euros/day which is doable. Yeah! One step (pun) closer to the Via Podiensis!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back