• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2021 Reservations

BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
My wife and I walked the camino frances in 2015, 2017 and 2019 (Sept-Oct each time). We wanted to keep hiking the camino every two years, but were concerned about the high number of pilgrims walking during the Jubilee year, so we decided to hike in 2020. We made private room reservations every night. Then the pandemic hit. Since it is unlikely that a vaccine will be available and/or travel restrictions lifted, I recently cancelled all room reservations for this fall. I will wait to cancel the flights in late August to ensure a better chance of getting a full refund, rather than vouchers.

Starting over again to make private room reservations for Sept-Oct 2021, I was wondering whether many places would not yet accept reservations. To my surprise, thus far I have made 34 of 40 overnight reservations (including in transit nights in Madrid, Pamplona, 2 nights in Santiago, and our last night in Madrid). I used Booking.com to reserve most nights, but contacted several albergues that we stayed at before, or used contact information from Gronze.com.

It's a great relief to make these reservations one year in advance for a Jubilee year. That said, I'm sure we'll need to make some adjustments in hiking and social distancing as needed with hopefully the worst part of the pandemic behind us.

Bob

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I secured mine for end of May for both Orisson & Roncesvalles
I guess anything after that - I want to keep spontaneous
It very well could be something 'totally surreal' what between the Holy Year and (hopefully post-) COVID19 but IMHO it will perhaps cement if you will what "The Camino" is all about

Bob - congrats on being able to reserve this far in advance. I am starting to train for a 2021 CF - my first - I did the CP in 2019. Is the weather good in Sept.- Oct? That would be the ideal time - I love the Fall. Thanks and congrats again!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Amy, we've had very good weather all three caminos we walked in Sept-Oct. The weather was good in 2015, but when we arrived in Galicia, it rained most days until we reached Santiago. The hot days weren't blistering and the chilly days were fine.

The best for us was 2017. It rained a bit during our hike into Zubiri and Pamplona, then we had clear, blue skies all the way to Santiago! Last year, we had good weather most days, but we did walk in non-stop rain from Fonfria to Samos plus one other day in Galicia.

September tends to be a very popular time to hike. In 2017 and 2019, there were many pilgrims hiking. Some entire towns were "completo", causing pilgrims to hike further, or catch a ride to stay somewhere. There's no way to predict the crowds in 2021.

Buen camino! Bob

My wife and I walked the camino frances in 2015, 2017 and 2019 (Sept-Oct each time). We wanted to keep hiking the camino every two years, but were concerned about the high number of pilgrims walking during the Jubilee year, so we decided to hike in 2020. We made private room reservations every night. Then the pandemic hit. Since it is unlikely that a vaccine will be available and/or travel restrictions lifted, I recently cancelled all room reservations for this fall. I will wait to cancel the flights in late August to ensure a better chance of getting a full refund, rather than vouchers.

Starting over again to make private room reservations for Sept-Oct 2021, I was wondering whether many places would not yet accept reservations. To my surprise, thus far I have made 34 of 40 overnight reservations (including in transit nights in Madrid, Pamplona, 2 nights in Santiago, and our last night in Madrid). I used Booking.com to reserve most nights, but contacted several albergues that we stayed at before, or used contact information from Gronze.com.

It's a great relief to make these reservations one year in advance for a Jubilee year. That said, I'm sure we'll need to make some adjustments in hiking and social distancing as needed with hopefully the worst part of the pandemic behind us.

Bob
We’re you able to cancel reservations without penalties? And are you able to do that now for 2021?
At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, we don’t quite know what next year will bring yet.
Thanks,

Alan, yes, I had no problems (except one) cancelling 2020 reservations without penalty. No issues on Booking.com and the last cancelation date is listed when you reserve the room. The last cancellation date is usually just a week or so from the reservation date. Same thing with hotels and paradors. Same thing with private albergues - I simply sent them an email note. No issue.

The only exception was one albergue I booked on Booking.com and I was notified that the rate was non-refundable if I cancelled. I was not concerned about this when I made the reservation in November, 2019. When it was clear I needed to cancel, I contacted the albergue and they said they would issue me a voucher for 2021. I'm hoping they honor their commitment.

Buen Camino ! Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Bob
Good morning. My first walk was also delayed to the virus. Planning on late August through sept 2021.
Did you use a guide book to help decide where to stay or are you going by past experience? Also, how long is your hike?
janis

Janis, for our first camino, we relied heavily on John Brierley's guide book. We followed his advice on allowing 35 total days to walk from St Jean to Santiago. We also hiked most of the stages he suggested (starting and end points each day). I brought his book with me and referenced it every day. The maps and elevation guides were very helpful. We walked 34 days and took one rest day and stayed mostly in municipal albergues, but stayed in private rooms one day per week.

For 2017, we hiked with my brother and his wife. Since we were already familiar with camino frances, we decided to make advance reservations for all but a few nights. We stayed in several quad rooms (two bunks and private bath) and private rooms for two. There were a few municipal albergues we stayed in, such as Roncesvalles, Cuatro Cantones in Belorado, Azofra, the Municipal in Burgos. We brought along the Wise Pilgrim guide, plus my brother down loaded a few apps on his iPhone. We allowed 38 days and took two rest days.

For last year, I made advance reservations every night and really didn't need a guide book. We allowed 37 days and did not take any rest days. For our now-cancelled 2020 camino, we allowed 35 hiking days, no rest days and had reservations for private rooms every day. We are planning the same for 2021.

With regards to distance, we prefer to average 20 kms per day. We leave each morning by 7 am and usually arrive at our destination by 1 pm. That said, last year we hiked a few short stages such as 12 kms, and a few long stages, such as 32 kms. We took the advice of this forum and "listened to our bodies", took rest stops, drank lots of water, etc.

Buen camino ! Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also had to cancel all my bookings. I made a few myself and most through booking.com. Only one reservation in Santa Domingo de la Calzada (San Roque 18 apartment) was non-refundable. After contacting the rental agency they said they would reschedule even for September 2021. So I am now planning my 2021 camino.

Bob
Hi Bob, it sounds like you and your wife are vererans of the Camino Frances. It is such a special experience. My husband and I walked it in 2014, then decided to try some other caminos - Camino del Norte, Chemin de St Jacques, and the Via Francigena. We are now longing once again for the very special experience of the Camino Frances. We loved the other caminos, but none compare for the pilgrim experience. We, like you and your wife, stay in small B&Bs, small hotels, etc. a pre-book. Would you be willing to share your itinerary (stages, places you stay) with us? Our plan is to go in 2022. No worries if you are not comfortable with sharing. Buen camino, Diane

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Diane, yes, I am a planner and keep all this in a simple spreadsheet. Please send me an email and I'll send this to you off line. My email address is [removed by moderator] Bob

[Edited by moderator to remove email address. Please contact Bob by private Conversation.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Amy, we've had very good weather all three caminos we walked in Sept-Oct. The weather was good in 2015, but when we arrived in Galicia, it rained most days until we reached Santiago. The hot days weren't blistering and the chilly days were fine.

The best for us was 2017. It rained a bit during our hike into Zubiri and Pamplona, then we had clear, blue skies all the way to Santiago! Last year, we had good weather most days, but we did walk in non-stop rain from Fonfria to Samos plus one other day in Galicia.

September tends to be a very popular time to hike. In 2017 and 2019, there were many pilgrims hiking. Some entire towns were "completo", causing pilgrims to hike further, or catch a ride to stay somewhere. There's no way to predict the crowds in 2021.

Buen camino! Bob
Bob

Thanks for your quick response. Sounds like pretty good walking weather - and perhaps wise to plan ahead for lodging. As you say none of us really know what 2021 will look like... I just hope it will be safe to travel again at that time and that US citizens will be allowed in the EU.

Thanks and Buen Camino.
Amy

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Diane, yes, I am a planner and keep all this in a simple spreadsheet. Please send me an email and I'll send this to you off line.
Bob, I suggest that you edit your post to remove your email address. As this forum is visible to anyone or anybot on the internet you are opening yourself up to receiving spam. Members can send you a private message via the forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trecile, thanks for the advice. Four or five pilgrims have contacted me via my email address and I've sent the spreadsheet to them. As you suggested, I removed my email address. Not sure I know how to send or receive a private message, but I'll figure that out if someone contacts me. Bob

Trecile, thanks for the advice. Four or five pilgrims have contacted me via my email address and I've sent the spreadsheet to them. As you suggested, I removed my email address. Not sure I know how to send or receive a private message, but I'll figure that out if someone contacts me. Bob
I just sent you a private message. Click/tap on the envelope icon at the top of the forum page.
Screenshot_20200801-131907_Firefox.jpg

Bob
I started planning my 2021 camino and was able to make my Santiago de Compostela reservations for October.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We, like you and your wife, stay in small B&Bs, small hotels, etc. a pre-book. Would you be willing to share your itinerary (stages, places you stay) with us? Our plan is to go in 2022. No worries if you are not comfortable with sharing. Buen camino, Diane
Hi Diane - I also have a file I can share with you. I'll send you a separate message.

Hi Bob - I've also copied you into a private message. Please note that your email address is still visible to all. Regards, Peter, Australia.

The best way to get an email address removed is to "Report" the post - a moderator will then check out the post and remove the email address . . . . I have just "reported" Bob's post ☺

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Diane - I also have a file I can share with you. I'll send you a separate message.
Hi Peter - I would love to see your itinerary as well. I am planning for a Spring or Fall 2021 CF if conditions improve and they are allowing US citizens. I don't know how to share private email either but I would love to see your experiences.

Many thanks
Amy

Hi Peter - I would love to see your itinerary as well. I am planning for a Spring or Fall 2021 CF if conditions improve and they are allowing US citizens. I don't know how to share private email either but I would love to see your experiences.

Many thanks
Amy
To send a private message to another forum member tap/click on their user name.
You will then see a mini profile if that person. Tap or click on "Start a conversation" to send them a private message. If someone sends you a message there will be a number in red over the message icon at the top of the forum page.
20200811_073650.jpg

Bob
God bless, Bob 🙏🙂 Thank you for your remarkable post. Wish you all the best. Godspeed & Buen Camino!

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.