• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2021 Vuelta a España

MassNative

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Nov 2022 CF
I´ve seen past threads about Spain´s Bicycle Grand Tour. So I assume it is OK to post this.

If you are walking in the area from Belorado to Hornillos area of Camino Frances, the race may impact your walking this weekend.

Saturday is a Time Trial stage completely in the limits of Burgos.

Sunday´s road stage will pass through Hornillos del Camino on it´s way to a Burgos finish line.

Monday´s stage will pass through Belorado.

Then the race is off the Camino Frances for a while:

Friday Sept 3rd the races passes through Sarria.

Sunday Sept 5th the final stage finishes in front of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela! So if you are on a schedule to finish that Sunday, you might want to slow down! Or speed up! Although, from my experiences of traveling in France during the Tour de France, the day before a stage comes to town is pretty busy with tourists & cycling fans.

I do not know of the race impact other routes.

I have yet to walk, but we are thinking about this time next year. Have people´s pilgrimages been impacted by the bike race in the past?

Jim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Several years ago there was 3 day cycling event in and around Ponferrada. It was a nightmare getting around.

I´ve seen past threads about Spain´s Bicycle Grand Tour. So I assume it is OK to post this.

If you are walking in the area from Belorado to Hornillos area of Camino Frances, the race may impact your walking this weekend.

Saturday is a Time Trial stage completely in the limits of Burgos.

Sunday´s road stage will pass through Hornillos del Camino on it´s way to a Burgos finish line.

Monday´s stage will pass through Belorado.

Then the race is off the Camino Frances for a while:

Friday Sept 3rd the races passes through Sarria.

Sunday Sept 5th the final stage finishes in front of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela! So if you are on a schedule to finish that Sunday, you might want to slow down! Or speed up! Although, from my experiences of traveling in France during the Tour de France, the day before a stage comes to town is pretty busy with tourists & cycling fans.

I do not know of the race impact other routes.

I have yet to walk, but we are thinking about this time next year. Have people´s pilgrimages been impacted by the bike race in the past?

Jim
The day through Sarria (Fri Sep 3rd) could also affect the Camino Invierno at Monforte de Lemos.
Sat Sep 4th could affect both the Portugues Coastal (near Oia and Baiona) and Inland routes (Tui to Pontevedra).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be personally impacted because I plan to watch it on TV in the middle of the night! I'm quite excited to be able to see bits of Spain, live, while we are very firmly in lockdown here in Sydney. Sorry if it is a problem for walkers - but I suspect it will be just another Spanish fiesta to enjoy.

I will be personally impacted because I plan to watch it on TV in the middle of the night! I'm quite excited to be able to see bits of Spain, live, while we are very firmly in lockdown here in Sydney. Sorry if it is a problem for walkers - but I suspect it will be just another Spanish fiesta to enjoy.
Me too Kanga, I can’t wait to see the places I passed through, some with great significance to me personally.
Hopefully they do great aerial shots of the towns and cities like they do in the TDF.

Yes, @philmickm but don't be too disappointed, the last one I watched they concentrated almost entirely on the race and we saw very little of the countryside. Not like the filming of the TDF which is always a magnificent. Still, I'll enjoy it no matter what.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Earlier thread here

And a map:
Screenshot_20210814-082205_Opera.jpg
Those squiggly yellow lines intersect various caminos!

This stage
starts near the end of the Lana (Santo Domingo de Silos), and goes through the Frances (Belorado), Via de Bayona (Briviesca), and the Viejo (Trespaderne), and ends on the Olvidado (Espinosa de los Monteros). Five caminos in one day!

Last edited:
Yes, @philmickm but don't be too disappointed, the last one I watched they concentrated almost entirely on the race and we saw very little of the countryside. Not like the filming of the TDF which is always a magnificent. Still, I'll enjoy it no matter what.
Hopefully they’ve finally learnt a bit from the successful travelogue that the tdf is and put on a show 😁

Want to watch but 1.50 am is no good for me. hope its repeated tomorrow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Woke to watch it and was nearly in tears to see the beautiful streets of Burgos. It looks amazing. Just great that the time trial started and finished at the cathedral and was right through the narrow streets, past many places I recognised. Reminded me of the lovely colour palate of the buildings, the whole feel of the place - it’s always been a pleasure being there. I think Burgos is the town I’d choose to live in of all those on the CF.

The official photo gallery is here:
Thanks so much for posting these. So many familiar scenes of one of my favorite cities. I wasn't able to watch and the few videos I saw showed almost nothing of the cathedral or old city, so these are a treat.

Wonder if any unsuspecting pilgrims wandered into town today, trying to figure out what on earth was happening. 😄

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The official photo gallery is here:
Too many bike riders, not enough buildings! As expected, it is for fans.
Thanks so much for posting these. So many familiar scenes of one of my favorite cities. I wasn't able to watch and the few videos I saw showed almost nothing of the cathedral or old city, so these are a treat.

Wonder if any unsuspecting pilgrims wandered into town today, trying to figure out what on earth was happening. 😄
The live shoot showed the town well though, much better than I expected. Presumably the videos have been edited, so they would be like the photos, more about the riders because that is their main audience, less background.

I worked overnight and was very lucky to see the whole things on SBS on a nearby PC. It was wonderful to see the Cathedral and city and work out where the course went against a map of the streets and g/earth, and compare where I spent time there.
thanks for the link to the photos Scott…O much appreciated.

Watching now. Beautiful aerial pictures.
Also very talented motorbikers and cameramen filming.
Different perspective.
Lots of these cameramen are Belgians seeing we have a lot of expertise in organising cycling tours and those guys know what they are doing ( were also active at the Olympic Games ).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yup! Coming up soon....
After going through Trespaderne on the Viejo!
😊
Glad it's not my legs that'll climb that last hill, though.

Last edited:
Hey, Lana fans (thinking of our merry crew from the walk earlier this year): I was just checking where the LV peloton goes today, and it's headed through Sigüenza - though it misses the Lana proper. So keep an eye out - it's about halfway through the stage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey, Lana fans (thinking of our merry crew from the walk earlier this year): I was just checking where the LV peloton goes today, and it's headed through Sigüenza - though it misses the Lana proper. So keep an eye out - it's about halfway through the stage.
VN, are you able to watch this live? I took a look at one of the recaps on the youtube channel @Crosscheck Rider posted and was sorely disappointed to see that the report focused on the riders and not the scenery. :p

VN, are you able to watch this live?
Haha. Where I am? Not a chance.
I can tell in realtime where everyone is here, but can only see photos and video after the fact on the LV website. But I am assuming some of us live in countries where bike racing is big can get live coverage via cable or livestream. I wouldn't know how, though.

Edit. Today's stage ends here, on the Camino del Cid. An amazing looking place.

Last edited:
The peloton just buzzed through Belorado, next stop Briviesca on the Via de Bayona:
Yes, but our TV coverage started just after Belorado; I was disappointed, it was a significant town for me.
Great country after that, so much to see next time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Usually I ignore LV, but this year it's fun to check out a few of the places my virtual caminos have gone through this last year.

Today it's the Levante: the last part of the stage goes through El Provencio, Minaya, and La Roda, then leaves the camino to meet it again to finish in Albacete.
(Edited to correct the stage details.)

Last edited:
Ok virtual Levante gang: today it's the first bit out of Valencia we get to see.

And tomorrow? Relleu-Torremanzanas on the Villajoyosa alternative of the Lana. Looking forward to seeing this part.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back