• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2022 Camino spirit Albergues on Camino del Norte

Jamat

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - Frances
2018 - Norte (Hendaye-Santander)
Good morning!

Reading this forum and asking to fellow pilgrims, I have noticed that many people are complaining about the Camino (especially Frances), that is getting more and more an option for holiday makers, only walking from one reservation to another, maybe was due to the fact that the Municipals were closed this past 2 years (I hope).

What I liked most about my Camino were the talks with the other pilgrims and the communal dinners. I am checking Gronze aswell but I would ask to the ones that walked the Camino del Norte recently if you have some albergues you recommend me to stay at, the ones that had a Communal dinner or maybe a magical atmosphere with communion with other pilgrims.

Thank you and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are two other albergues that come to mind.
The first one has the most wonderful hospitalero. He embodies all that is good and pure on the Camino. There is no communal meal but the time spent with Aurelius will be remembered forever.

Another albergue that I loved is one that is on the camino about 6k after Abadin. The owners are a young couple that have an absolutely beautiful and warm albergue set in the woods that is so peaceful and quiet. You can bring food to cook, but please enjoy the delicious dinner they prepare for you. The breakfast is also very good. There is also food to buy if you want some snacks or food for the next day. There is no town nearby. I would be shocked that if you are not sharing a room with a snorer that you wouldn't sleep like a baby. You will feel the Camino spirit here also.
Even though it is in the forest it is right on the Camino and it will just appear on your right like an oasis in the desert.

The Albergue in the old schoolhouse in Piñera is great. It's run by a great couple who give information on the next stages, and there is a communal dinner.

Thank you very much!
I wrote it down, looking forward to sleeping there, it sounds just what I am looking for :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are two other albergues that come to mind.
The first one has the most wonderful hospitalero. He embodies all that is good and pure on the Camino. There is no communal meal but the time spent with Aurelius will be remembered forever.

Another albergue that I loved is one that is on the camino about 6k after Abadin. The owners are a young couple that have an absolutely beautiful and warm albergue set in the woods that is so peaceful and quiet. You can bring food to cook, but please enjoy the delicious dinner they prepare for you. The breakfast is also very good. There is also food to buy if you want some snacks or food for the next day. There is no town nearby. I would be shocked that if you are not sharing a room with a snorer that you wouldn't sleep like a baby. You will feel the Camino spirit here also.
Even though it is in the forest it is right on the Camino and it will just appear on your right like an oasis in the desert.
Thank you so much!
I wrote them down on my notepad and looking forward to sleep there.

Thank you all very much, this forum is great and it provides invaluable information :)

Buen Camino peregrinos!

I really loved staying at the albergue monastery in Ziortza (past Markina on what is typically the 5th stage of the Norte): Albergue de peregrinos del Monasterio de Zenarruza. The view and surroundings are beautiful, and they offer a simple communal dinner that is eaten outside (in nice weather, I suppose). To me it's a really special spot! (don't miss out on the cold beer that the monks brew and sell in a little fridge in the shop)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I really enjoyed staying at Aves de Paso in Pendueles. As I recently read on the forum that it is up for sale, I am not sure whether it is open. But it has a really nice communal meal and really nice owner. And he has an impressive collection of football shirts !

I also enjoyed Casa de la Trinidad in Laredo, the monistary Sobrado des Monxes (no communal dinner but still a special place) .
And I probably forget a couple of others....

I really loved staying at the albergue monastery in Ziortza (past Markina on what is typically the 5th stage of the Norte): Albergue de peregrinos del Monasterio de Zenarruza. The view and surroundings are beautiful, and they offer a simple communal dinner that is eaten outside (in nice weather, I suppose). To me it's a really special spot! (don't miss out on the cold beer that the monks brew and sell in a little fridge in the shop)

I remember passing by that beautiful monastery early in the morning, as I had spent the night before at Markina. But now that you told me that they set up a communal dinner outside AND they brew their own beer I feel like I need to go back and walk that stage again!!.

Thank you so much for the info!!

I really enjoyed staying at Aves de Paso in Pendueles. As I recently read on the forum that it is up for sale, I am not sure whether it is open. But it has a really nice communal meal and really nice owner. And he has an impressive collection of football shirts !

I also enjoyed Casa de la Trinidad in Laredo, the monistary Sobrado des Monxes (no communal dinner but still a special place) .
And I probably forget a couple of others....
Wow thanks for all the info!
I was thinking about staying at Aves de Paso as it seemed so cozy, but as you said, I have also read it is up for sale unfortunately ;( so I was thinking about stopping at the town before: Buelna.

I remember spending the night in Casa de la Trinidad and it was very nice indeed! I also looking forward to Sobrado dos Monxes, I have seen some photos and I get goosebumps.

By the way, I know during the Camino will be hard (at least for me) to stop at certain towns, as I like to walk the Camino without reserving albergues nor stopping because I have to, but it is super nice to know all these recommendations from you and the other forum users.

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some albergues that you might like include:

Albergue de peregrinos La Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz de Bezana (although gronze lists this as closed now)

Albergue La Naranja Peregrina in Muros de Nalon

Albergue de Reposo de Andayon in Cuerres

Albergue Casa Roxica in A Roxica

Albergue de peregrinos La Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz de Bezana (although gronze lists this as closed now)

Keep in mind that Reposo de Andayon is closed on Mondays, Tu Albergues in Vega de Ribadesella on Fridays if I recall correctly.

And regarding Ave de Paso, even though it's for sale I would not assume it's closed! It was for sale in 2016 and continued to function.

Two nights ago I stayed at Albergue Piedad in Boo de Pialagos. (They also have private rooms available). Very clean and priced well. We had a great communal dinner and breakfast before stepping out in the rain.
This is the stage where you must take the train (at no cost to pilgrims) for one stop to avoid getting run over by walking across the railroad trestle.
The train stop is 100 meters from the front door of the albergue. Had the opportunity to meet people from Germany, Italy, France and Colombia.
Fantastic hosts@

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you so much, I wrote them down! Unfortunately this summer I will start from Santander and the flight will get therequite late in the evening and wont be possible to stay at Santa Cruz de Bezana, but I am looking forward for the other albergues.
Thank you! :)

Keep in mind that Reposo de Andayon is closed on Mondays, Tu Albergues in Vega de Ribadesella on Fridays if I recall correctly.

And regarding Ave de Paso, even though it's for sale I would not assume it's closed! It was for sale in 2016 and continued to function.
Thank you so much for the info about Ave de Paso! Now that I know it is open I will probably walk there and see, it looks like a genuine place I would like.

Regarding "Tu Casa" in Vega it looks really nice, I think I will see how the Camino goes and maybe give it ago, I am just unsure about the few available spaces to sleep as I dont like to reserve ahead and like to walk slowly admiring the Nature :=)

Thank you!

Two nights ago I stayed at Albergue Piedad in Boo de Pialagos. (They also have private rooms available). Very clean and priced well. We had a great communal dinner and breakfast before stepping out in the rain.
This is the stage where you must take the train (at no cost to pilgrims) for one stop to avoid getting run over by walking across the railroad trestle.
The train stop is 100 meters from the front door of the albergue. Had the opportunity to meet people from Germany, Italy, France and Colombia.
Fantastic hosts@
Oh yes! That is actually the only place I reserved for the first night of my Camino this year, as I know I will be tired after a sleepless night due to flights.
I will be there in two weeks and I am so happy to hear there is a communal dinner, but hopefully I will skip on the rain ;P (I know the crazy weather up there sigh)

Thank you soo much! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fantastic hosts@
The breakfast I had here was one of my favorites on any Camino! Such a beautiful spread of food, all put out early so you can catch an early train... it's a great place!

The breakfast I had here was one of my favorites on any Camino! Such a beautiful spread of food, all put out early so you can catch an early train... it's a great place!
I am not a big breakfast eater, I usually just grab a coffee but now I have a reason to wake up before my usual last minute rush, brush and go :p

I emailed Javier at Ave de Paso and a few days he replied that his albergue is closed at the moment, he didn't say if he expects it to re-open anytime. So maybe call a few days before if you want to know if he has re-opened.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I emailed Javier at Ave de Paso and a few days he replied that his albergue is closed at the moment, he didn't say if he expects it to re-open anytime. So maybe call a few days before if you want to know if he has re-opened.
Thank you so much!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.