• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2022 Spring trip- San Salvador + Primitivo

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on a spring Camino...my firdt that time of uear. Thoughts on 2 windows of time. 1/. Late April to mid May. Too wet? Or late May to mid June? Too hot? I realize wether is a fickle soul, so no worries, I won't hold anyone to their recommendation if the plan goes south!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Planning on a spring Camino...my first that time of year. Thoughts on 2 windows of time. 1/. Late April to mid May. Too wet? Or late May to mid June? Too hot? I realize wether is a fickle soul, so no worries, I won't hold anyone to their recommendation if the plan goes south!
Hi, @kmmccue,
It’s snow that could be an issue for the Salvador. I think late May is a much nicer timeframe. Heat is unlikely to be an issue on the mountain sections, though I know the climate is changing. I’ve walked the Salvador/Primitivo in July and heat wasn’t a big deal.

Here’s a live report from April 2013:

And just to emphasize the point, I’ve been in contact with Ender recently and he says that the really dangerous aspect of these mountains in the snow is that if you don’t know them, you are much more likely to fall into a high snow drift that deceives you into thinking it’s just another step forward on a camino with knee-high snow.

Good luck with planning.

I walked the Primitivo in June and it got quite hot so need to start early; wear a hat; and carry at least 2.5 litres of water on the more remote days as there is nowhere to top up. When I walked the Salvador in May there was snow on the ground but after an hour walking up hill with a pack you won't be cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Primitivo in June and it got quite hot so need to start early; wear a hat; and carry at least 2.5 litres of water on the more remote days as there is nowhere to top up. When I walked the Salvador in May there was snow on the ground but after an hour walking up hill with a pack you won't be cold.
Wow, so different from my experience in July. Guess that this just reinforces what we already know, that there are really no “normals” anymore.

As far as snow and possible danger from walking on the Salvador (btw, I don’t think this is an issue on the Primitivo). The highest parts of the Salvador are after Poladura and before Arbas. But there is some good elevation between Buiza and Poladura as well.

Though I usually don’t recommend “talk to the locals,” since they frequently just send you to the highway and have no idea about the camino route, in this case, speaking with the albergue hospitaleros in La Robla and Poladura is a very good idea if there is any chance of snowfall or snow already there on the mountains. Also, Ender runs the Salvador facebook page and answers very quickly. He knows the mountains in this area like the back of his hand and will not steer you wrong. He also makes frequent trips from his home to both places to see who’s there. So if you stay in La Robla, make sure to raise the window shade in the kitchen — that’s the way he makes a guess as whether he should stop or not.

@kmccue : my plans are to walk the Salvador and Primitivo as well after walking the Gebennensis which will take a couple of weeks. Leaving for Geneva early May so probably won't start walking in Spain until 3rd week of June.

@kmccue I also plan to walk Salvador and Primitivo next Spring. I will decide the start date based on this winter snow. I don't mind the cold or heat, but want to avoid the slippery snow as much as possible. I have done two Camino in the fall, and wanted to see more wildflowers on this next one.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started on the Salvador on June 1st, after walking on the Francés to León. I was happy to be in the higher elevation where it was cooler, as a small heat wave was just starting on the Francés.
I definitely wouldn't want to risk walking that Camino with snow.

Any issues with mosquitos or black flies in June?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@kmccue I also plan to walk Salvador and Primitivo next Spring. I will decide the start date based on this winter snow. I don't mind the cold or heat, but want to avoid the slippery snow as much as possible. I have done two Camino in the fall, and wanted to see more wildflowers on this next one.
If you wouldn't mind giving a quick conditions report when you are done that would be very helpful. Good luck to you!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back