• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2023 Dreaming - how's the weather in May on the Norte?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I had decided that September may be the perfect time for the Norte, but I don't want to wait almost a year for my next Camino! So now I'm thinking of May.

In addition, I've had the idea for a while to accompany a few newbie pilgrims from my local American Pilgrims chapter from SJPdP to Pamplona and give them a "push start" before I leave them on their own and take a bus to the Norte - possibly to Bayonne (there's something that I love about crossing a border on foot 👣). There are a few members of the group that really want to walk a Camino, but for various reasons are too nervous to start on their own.

For me, April is too iffy weather-wise, but I'm not sure that May will be that much drier.

I've done the Norte in June and July in the past, with July 2018 being unusually rainy.
I'll be finishing on the Primitivo.

What do you May Norte pilgrims say?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, fellow peregrina! We walked in 2017-2018 (injury stopped the first one) and for the first half or so, everywhere we went people said it was the winter that wouldn't quit. (Arrived in Spain appx 5/19) Then towards the end, it finally got warm. HTH! BC!

Hi Trecile,

In 2016 I walked the Norte, starting at the beginning of May. Nice temperatures for walking (not too cold, not too hot) and a lot of sunny days. Only two days of rain, although on 1 day from early morning until late at night). That is, until I got to Galicia. There I had a number of days with some occasional drizzle. But, all in all, very nice weather.

That year it got a bit crowded in Bilbao: a lot of Frances-pilgrims switching to the Norte because it had been raining for 2 weeks in a row on the Frances...

Could be that I was just lucky.

For what it's worth: the climate of the last decade in Santander:

1664438422701.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had decided that September may be the perfect time for the Norte, but I don't want to wait almost a year for my next Camino! So now I'm thinking of May.

In addition, I've had the idea for a while to accompany a few newbie pilgrims from my local American Pilgrims chapter from SJPdP to Pamplona and give them a "push start" before I leave them on their own and take a bus to the Norte - possibly to Bayonne (there's something that I love about crossing a border on foot 👣). There are a few members of the group that really want to walk a Camino, but for various reasons are too nervous to start on their own.

For me, April is too iffy weather-wise, but I'm not sure that May will be that much drier.

I've done the Norte in June and July in the past, with July 2018 being unusually rainy.
I'll be finishing on the Primitivo.

What do you May Norte pilgrims say?
I walked the Norte (then switched the Primitivo) from 4/30/2019 (Irun) to 6/5/2019 (Santiago) - perfect walking weather - maybe a little on the cool side - 3 days of rain for the entire trip - couldn't recommend it more.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back