• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2023 planning to walk the Olvidado

laineylainey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
started in 2012, hooked ever since.
So after a gorgeous walk last september on the Invierno (after the Madrid), have started looking at some ideas for this September. We are just back from a month of travelling in Spain in our campervan with our 2 dogs and really want to keep doing that sort of journey. We have 2 options for getting to Spain in a campervan with the dogs from Ireland and one of them is to get a ferry from Ireland (Rosslare) to Bilbao. So I am thinking about going with my husband and dogs in the Ferry to Bilbao then waving goodbye for me to walk the Olvidado while my husband has a wonderful wife-free 3 weeks touring round in the van. Sort of perfect for us both!

I was thinking 3 weeks would be enough to get to Villafranca on the Francés?

Have downloaded Ender's English guide for the Olvidado (many thanks @peregrina2000) and also have started to read up on the Olvidado forum for information, again thanks @peregrina2000 for your own detailed guide. Did anyone walk this route last year or planning to this year? If anyone did walk last year, I would appreciate any updates especially re route/accommodation etc. My other question is about GPS. It would seem essential as mentioned by a few people. I have not used GPS, but it would seem Wikiloc is popular? Any other suggestions? Afraid I am a bit of a techy nerd so as much information would be appreciated!

Look forward to having a conversation about this lovely sounding Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So after a gorgeous walk last september on the Invierno (after the Madrid), have started looking at some ideas for this September. We are just back from a month of travelling in Spain in our campervan with our 2 dogs and really want to keep doing that sort of journey. We have 2 options for getting to Spain in a campervan with the dogs from Ireland and one of them is to get a ferry from Ireland (Rosslare) to Bilbao. So I am thinking about going with my husband and dogs in the Ferry to Bilbao then waving goodbye for me to walk the Olvidado while my husband has a wonderful wife-free 3 weeks touring round in the van. Sort of perfect for us both!

I was thinking 3 weeks would be enough to get to Villafranca on the Francés?

Have downloaded Ender's English guide for the Olvidado (many thanks @peregrina2000) and also have started to read up on the Olvidado forum for information, again thanks @peregrina2000 for your own detailed guide. Did anyone walk this route last year or planning to this year? If anyone did walk last year, I would appreciate any updates especially re route/accommodation etc. My other question is about GPS. It would seem essential as mentioned by a few people. I have not used GPS, but it would seem Wikiloc is popular? Any other suggestions? Afraid I am a bit of a techy nerd so as much information would be appreciated!

Look forward to having a conversation about this lovely sounding Camino!

Hi! We have similar tastes in Caminos! I recently walked the Invierno and I'm planning to walk the Viejo/Olvidado this June/July. I'll do the route from Pamplona instead of Bilbao, but from Aguilar de Campoo it'll be the same route as you :)

I'm just starting to look up accommodation etc but would be happy to share what I find. I've been using the same sources as you as well as the Wise Pilgrim app. It has the route mapped so I plan on using that plus Wikiloc. I used the Wise Pilgrim Invierno app and liked it and found the map to be very accurate.

Happy planning!

Hi @laineylainey and @WestKirsty ,

I'm also planning on doing the Olvidado this year, hopefully in June/July starting in Bilbao. Last year at the same time I was supposed to walk the Olvidado (already had a flight to Bilbao and tentative stages) but a week before leaving I decided to switch to the Norte. I had been following a pilgrim on the Olvidado Facebook page (Ender contributes a lot there) and he was having a difficult time with accommodations as a few albergues/hostales were temporarily closed. He ended up taking a taxi here and there and spent much more money than planned in hotels/pensiones (especially on the first few stages). It could have been bad luck but this soured my plans and so opted to walk the Norte again.

This year I do plan on carrying out my previous plan. I'm not a big planner and rather wing it but this Camino, especially if planning to take the mountain alternatives, needs organizing. GPS is definitely recommended for those stages. If you are on Facebook Ender posted quite a few videos of the trail last summer. Also a few Spanish posted everyday of their walk.

Next month I'll probably sit down and look at my previous notes and make tentative stages. If I recall correctly, someone posted a list of her (or his?) Olvidado stages in another thread last week. There is also a thread on the pros and cons of different gps apps (general post, not specific to the Olvidado). Sorry don't have the link at hand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi! We have similar tastes in Caminos! I recently walked the Invierno and I'm planning to walk the Viejo/Olvidado this June/July. I'll do the route from Pamplona instead of Bilbao, but from Aguilar de Campoo it'll be the same route as you :)

I'm just starting to look up accommodation etc but would be happy to share what I find. I've been using the same sources as you as well as the Wise Pilgrim app. It has the route mapped so I plan on using that plus Wikiloc. I used the Wise Pilgrim Invierno app and liked it and found the map to be very accurate.

Happy planning!
Great to hear from you @WestKirsty ! Yes please do share what you find and I will do likewise. With Wikiloc, I take it you download the maps prior to journey? Someone mentioned that Ender's maps on wikiloc are under "enderjace" ?
I do tend to plan a route though and leave little to chance if at all possible. Also for me part of the fun and anticipation is the planning and researching.

Hi @laineylainey and @WestKirsty ,

I'm also planning on doing the Olvidado this year, hopefully in June/July starting in Bilbao. Last year at the same time I was supposed to walk the Olvidado (already had a flight to Bilbao and tentative stages) but a week before leaving I decided to switch to the Norte. I had been following a pilgrim on the Olvidado Facebook page (Ender contributes a lot there) and he was having a difficult time with accommodations as a few albergues/hostales were temporarily closed. He ended up taking a taxi here and there and spent much more money than planned in hotels/pensiones (especially on the first few stages). It could have been bad luck but this soured my plans and so opted to walk the Norte again.

This year I do plan on carrying out my previous plan. I'm not a big planner and rather wing it but this Camino, especially if planning to take the mountain alternatives, needs organizing. GPS is definitely recommended for those stages. If you are on Facebook Ender posted quite a few videos of the trail last summer. Also a few Spanish posted everyday of their walk.

Next month I'll probably sit down and look at my previous notes and make tentative stages. If I recall correctly, someone posted a list of her (or his?) Olvidado stages in another thread last week. There is also a thread on the pros and cons of different gps apps (general post, not specific to the Olvidado). Sorry don't have the link at hand.
Thanks @LTfit , will look up the Olvidado thread to get up to date on possible stages. Not a FB fan but will try to get the Olvidado page. How long are you thinking, 3 weeks?

Thanks @LTfit , will look up the Olvidado thread to get up to date on possible stages. Not a FB fan but will try to get the Olvidado page. How long are you thinking, 3 weeks?
This is the Olvidado FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/elcaminoolvidado/permalink/1062343577755765
I see that there are IMHO a lot of irrelevant posts these past few months but if you look more towards the spring and summer and you'll find posts of pilgrims and their stages, pictures and comments.

And this is the pdf file of the Olvidado guide (in Spanish) found under 'files' at the top of the FB page
file:///C:/Users/latol/Downloads/guia_camino_olvidado.pdf

This is Laurie's forum post about the English guide (updates in her post of October 2022 which is not in the English guide):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/enders-olvidado-guide-in-english.63557/

I recall that I wasn't going to follow the exact stages as in the guide as some are quite short so I was planning on less than 3 weeks. I'll be re-evaluating the stages and will share when I'm that far.

This is the thread about the pros and cons of different gps apps:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ide-for-this-dummy-please.78339/#post-1097113

Hope this helps!

p.s. I'm looking at Wikilocs right now and can't find Ender's tracks for the Olvidado. I keyed in Enderjace Camino Olvidado but got hits by someone else for the first 3 stages.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is the Olvidado FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/elcaminoolvidado/permalink/1062343577755765

I see that there are IMHO a lot of irrelevant posts these past few months but if you look more towards the spring and summer and you'll find posts of pilgrims and their stages, pictures and comments.

And this is the pdf file of the Olvidado guide (in Spanish) found under 'files' at the top of the FB page

This is Laurie's forum post about the English guide (updates in her post of October 2022 which is not in the English guide):

I recall that I wasn't going to follow the exact stages as in the guide as some are quite short so I was planning on less than 3 weeks. I'll be re-evaluating the stages and will share when I'm that far.

Hope this helps!

p.s. I'm looking at Wikilocs right now and can't find Ender's tracks for the Olvidado. I keyed in Enderjace CaminO Olvidado but got hits by someone else for the first 3 stages.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hope this helps!

p.s. I'm looking at Wikilocs right now and can't find Ender's tracks for the Olvidado. I keyed in Enderjace Camino Olvidado but got hits by someone else for the first 3 stages.

Try enderjace with a lower case "e". I did find his posts on wikiloc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband and I are thinking about walking part of the Olvidado May/June. I’ll be watching this thread closely!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So grateful for the link to the GPS question. Must admit it will take me some time to understand a lot of it, but I am sensing that it's mainly but certainly not exclusively, maps.me or wikilocs that people recommend.
Thanks for all these links! I'm getting really excited about this one...
Have decided to start walking on the 1st Sept. Ferry booked!

So grateful for the link to the GPS question. Must admit it will take me some time to understand a lot of it, but I am sensing that it's mainly but certainly not exclusively, maps.me or wikilocs that people recommend.

Have decided to start walking on the 1st Sept. Ferry booked!
Yes, the thread has a bit too much info for someone like me that prefers to just follow the arrows 😂.

I believe I'll stick to Wikilocs as Ender has the tracks for both options (mountain stages or not).

I'll do the route from Pamplona instead of Bilbao, but from Aguilar de Campoo it'll be the same route as you
This is my top of the list camino, @WestKirsty, so I really look forward to hearing about it, especially the part after Miranda de Ebro.

mainly but certainly not exclusively, maps.me or wikilocs that people recommend.
For offline use, OSMand is IMO much better than Maps.me. Some say it's harder to learn, but I didn't find that to be the case at all.

Buen camino to you both, @laineylainey and @WestKirsty!

And Laurie, so happy to have that map link! Gracias.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is the website which corresponds to the Olvidado app which we have talked about. This is an example for stage 1.
https://www.caminoolvidado.com/etapa1/?eng

For each stage click on the left side 'town resources', then on a town, then on accommodations (if there are any).
I don't know how up-to-date it is.

The Wise Pilgrim app for the Olvidado which can be downloaded also has accommodation information. @wisepilgrim Michael, how current is the information on your app?

@peregrina2000 Laurie, do know if Ender keeps a current list of accommodations along the Olvidado?

Last year I downloaded a list from www.godesalco.com/plan/olvidado.
You can plan stages according to the distance you want to walk and available accommodations. Once again, I don't know how current it is.

Thanks to all those who can help us here.

Did you take any of Ender's alternative routes mentioned in his guide?
There are two main alternatives, with both options marked for each alternative.

One is from Boñar to Vegacervera (day 1) and Vegacervera to Buiza or Pola de Gordón (day 2). The non-mountain alternative for this route is Boñar to La Robla (just one day). The two alternatives merge in or near La Magdalena. This two day alternative is just, well, just perfect. One of those huff and puff and huff and puff and then up to the top and WOW. There is a long road walk on the last part (6 km or so) into Vegacervera, and I was very glad to have my trailrunners on.

The other is from Guardo to Puente Almuhey. It is 16 via the direct route, 30-something via the mountain route Caminayo. I wouldn’t miss the alternative. If 30 something is too long with lots of elevation, you can push on 6 km beyond Guardo to stay in Velilla del Río Carrión where there is a pensión and it shortens the next day. Caminayo is a small village with a centro social and a lot of houses in process of renovation. They open up the place for pilgrims to rest and tomar algo. I think they will also let you sleep there on the floor if you just can’t go any further, but from there it’s mostly downhill, so you should be fine.

@peregrina2000 Laurie, do know if Ender keeps a current list of accommodations along the Olvidado?

The Ender guide is continually updated in Spanish, so there are a few more new places noted (albergue in Noceda and a few more) than in the English guide. Links to both in this thread with the updates noted. The goal is that Ender will revise the Spanish guide this spring (since 2019 he’s just been doing little piecemeal updates) and then I will translate it. But I’m not sure it will happen before people start walking.

And this may be obvious to everyone, but caminoolvidado.com is a different guide than Ender’s guide, which I translated. The caminoolvidado.com website is professionally done and has not been updated since it was written (professionally). Ender is the best source for new info.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is the link to Ender's document that Laurie says is the most up-to-date:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LVtQW64pGcbM_2R5R4IhatggNSnxuDoC/view?usp=drivesdk
That is the Spanish version, which is more up to date than the English version. If you don’t read Spanish, here are the main accommodation updates that

1. Quintanilla has an albergue run by Rafa
2. The amigos have an Albergue in Taranco
3. If you want to stop in Riello, Laura will come pick you up and take you to her casa rural, La Magia de las Nubes, a few kilometers away. Laura was the hospitalera in Mansilla de las Mulas for many years.
4. A municipal albergue in Noceda.
5. The English guide says “acogida” in Magdalena, but it is now a pretty amazing municipal albergue.

Yes, the thread has a bit too much info for someone like me that prefers to just follow the arrows

I know we all ”do” caminos differently, but this route passes through and close to many important historical and natural areas, from prehistoric, to Roman, to visigothic, to Romanesque and beyond. Ender’s guide describes many of them — the legend of the carved mermaid in the romanesque church, the XI C carving of the slaughter of the innocents, the old mines and their stories, tombs carved in the rocks, chapels carved in the rocks, on and on. I’m not trying to convince anyone, but just saying that if you like to get that side of the camino, Ender’s guide (much more than the professional website/app) will take you to things you would otherwise miss without it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yesterday booked a flight to Bilbao for June 16, start Saturday June 17th. Return flight haven't yet booked but hope to return from Santiago. And you?
I will get to Bilbao on the 31st August and start walking on the 1st Sept. I do hope your post your journey?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is there a credencial for the Olvidado?
I came across a printable credencial for the Olvidado on one of the websites, though I have no idea how offical it may be: https://www.elcaminoolvidado.com/credencial-del-camino-olvidado/

Not that I know of but you can get a certificate of completion in Villafranca although I don't know who issues it

There's also info on the certificate of completion on this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-olvidada-for-the-olvidado.73998/#post-1027018

Sorry I meant a "passport" just to get stamps. I don't bother with certificates but I love getting the different stamps at places I stay. I then have a memory of the journey in my Camino box!

Sorry I meant a "passport" just to get stamps. I don't bother with certificates but I love getting the different stamps at places I stay. I then have a memory of the journey in my Camino box!
Hiya Lainey, the credential and “passport” are the same thing.I used the credential download and have done this Camino three times. Enjoy! Cheers, Mick.

I thought so, but when it was mentioned to download I thought it would be more a certificate. Is there somewhere to buy a credential?
Not that I know of but you can get a certificate of completion in Villafranca although I don't know who issues it
How do you prove you walked it without a credential?

Is there an Olvidado association or similar? I could contact them about a possible credential?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thought so, but when it was mentioned to download I thought it would be more a certificate. Is there somewhere to buy a credential?

How do you prove you walked it without a credential?

Is there an Olvidado association or similar? I could contact them about a possible credential?
You always need a credencial if you want to stay in pilgrim albergues and in this case if you want a certificate of completion. Ivar's store has them so you can order from him or from your Irish Camino Association (assume there is one). I still have a few empty ones so if you are in a bind send me a pm and I can mail one to you. It doesn't have to be one that is particular for the Olvidado.

Thank you but I can get one from the forum shop just wondered if there was an Olvidado one. I have a couple of camino special ones over the years.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to let anyone thinking of doing the Olvidado and walking Ender's stage 2b Gueñes to Villasana de Mena, the only accommoation there the Hostelería Foramontanos closed down last October. Looking forward to staying in Nava de Ordunte and the Albergue de acogida! Hope it is still open.

Since Adolfo (in whose garage the albergue is located) is a true Camino angel, I’m betting it is going strong.

One sad consequence of that closing is that it makes it difficult/impossible to easily take the loop out to see the Romanesque gems that are located just a few km from Villasana de Mena. But I think Adolfo’s place is a solid option.

So. I just wanted to check how difficult or not (given it is only day 3 of the Olvidado), the stage Nava de Ordunte to Espinosa is? I like a daily walking figure of just under 30k and I notice there is a climb over 4 k or so and it's about 33k? However I can and have done more than 30k in a day.
I won't ask about the Cervera de Pisuerga to Guardo nearly 40k day, as I have already decided to spilt that day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was thinking of having a rest or tourist day on this route and wonder what folk would recommend? Although it's only day 7, would you recommend Aquilar de Campoo or what other place?

I was thinking of having a rest or tourist day on this route and wonder what folk would recommend? Although it's only day 7, would you recommend Aquilar de Campoo or what other place?
Aguilar is the biggest place along the route, has a Gothic colegiata, castle ruins, a romanesque church below the castle with some really fine Romanesque capitals inside (get the key from the parish priest, and you can then open it up and spend time inside alone — he even told me how to put on the lights!). There is a Centro Expositivo there, which I have never visited. The monastery is now a hotel, and from what I’ve heard the rooms are nice and frequently not too expensive. There is a river walk along the Pisuerga, and a good smattering of services.

The only other place I can think of where you would find things “to do” would be Vegacervera. The gorge of Vegacervera is very nice, and you can walk from town, and there are also some very visited caves not too far away, Cave of Valporquero. It’s not much of a town, though, no services really, other than a small grocery and a good restaurant. I was there during the week in June and it was pretty empty but there are many tourist services and hotels that must get going later in the season and on weekends.

You might want to consider splitting a day rather than taking a rest day, depending on the stages you hope to walk.
So. I just wanted to check how difficult or not (given it is only day 3 of the Olvidado), the stage Nava de Ordunte to Espinosa is?

Not a terribly difficult stage, as I remember. Adolfo walked with us for part of it, though, and that means I didn’t pay any attention to routing. I remember one part where an ascent wasn’t clearly marked, but it was through an open area so no danger, but that won’t be a problem with GPS. This was an area where some “locals” had been vandalizing the arrows, so I would make sure to have GPS going, just in case it’s still a problem.

I won't ask about the Cervera de Pisuerga to Guardo nearly 40k day, as I have already decided to spilt that day.
If your day into Guardo is short, and if you are planning to walk the Caminayo alternative to Puente Almuhey from Guardo, you could consider carrying on beyond Guardo to stay in Velilla del Río Carrión. That takes about 4-6 km, I think, off the longer alternative into Puente Almuhey. It is smaller than Guardo, but it has a pensión and enough services to keep you afloat. Both Guardo and Velilla are pretty sad places, remnants of what used to be prosperous mining towns.

€149,-
Yes, think I might spilt the Cervera de Pisuerga to Guardo day as I really want to enjoy the journey and not worry about the distance which may be doable, but I don't want to stress about it at the time. Perhaps a more doable and therefore less stressful route for me may be;
CdP to Villanueva, where I believe there is a new Albergue
Villanueva to Velilla, where they are at least 3 choices of accommodation
Velilla to Puente Almuhey, moutain route ( so I shave off maybe 4.5k off that journey)

So, a blow to my plan to split the Cervera de Pisuerga to Guardo day. The albergue at VIllanueva de la Peña is closed indefinitely and the Casa Rural el Enciinar and Hotel Rural El Yunque (same owner) in Tarilonte de la Peña will only take a minimum of a 2 night booking. Anyone have any other suggestions for this stage?

So, a blow to my plan to split the Cervera de Pisuerga to Guardo day. The albergue at VIllanueva de la Peña is closed indefinitely and the Casa Rural el Enciinar and Hotel Rural El Yunque (same owner) in Tarilonte de la Peña will only take a minimum of a 2 night booking. Anyone have any other suggestions for this stage?
Restaurante Mylo in Santibáñez de la Peña has rooms, according to several forum members. Here. And here. Phone number is listed, but no WhatsApp because it’s a land line.

€149,-
Casa Rural el Enciinar and Hotel Rural El Yunque (same owner) in Tarilonte de la Peña will only take a minimum of a 2 night booking. Anyone have any other suggestions for this stage?
Hi Lainey, where did you get this information from? Was it from the owners website or a third party accommodation website or from another Camino Olvidado Guide. If by an email or telephone what was the question asked?
Mick.

Hi @omicko
I tend to WhatsApp properties well in advance just to see if they are still open. It saves me a lot of time later on . I had WhatsApp messages with Elena of both the Casa Rural and Hotel in Tarilonte and she told me they only accept a minimum of 2 night stays. When I sent a WhatsApp message to the Albergue in Villanueva, I received a message back to say it was closed indefinitely.
It's a shame. I am finding this route more difficult to plan as @Sitkapilgrim mentioned in a thread about the Olvidado.

I had WhatsApp messages with Elena of both the Casa Rural and Hotel in Tarilonte and she told me they only accept a minimum of 2 night stays.
What did you EXACTLY write to her in your WhatsApp message?
I think I already have the answer to your problem, so tell me your exact message to her and I will give you the solution. ( Good News).
Mick.

After reading your reply in the private conversation, below is what Elena wrote to me on the 26th of July 2022 when I asked her for Pilgrim Prices for my Guide. I stayed with her in 2019.
( I think you got tourist prices bearing in mind Pilgrims normally move on the next day. )
I will contact you this week with much more varied and up-to-date information about this Camino. This will take away 99% of your worries about accommodation and stages.

Chill out! I've even translated it into English for you.
Mick.

TARILANTE ELENA

Good morning Michael,
Thank you very much for reconnecting with us!!
As the consultation is for such a long term and for different seasons of the year, I will tell you prices without being able to specify and depending on availability...
In the little hotel, a room for one night/person would cost +-€50 with breakfast and dinner, in May and June, in July it would be somewhat more expensive.
In the rural house, sharing a bathroom, a room per night per person would cost +-€30 with breakfast and dinner. In May and June, in July it would be somewhat more expensive.
My contact phone number is 666-846866.
Thank you very much again, greetings, Elena.
  • Date: 26 July 2022 at 09:44:50 BST

• Subject: RE: Camino Olvidado

• Buenos días Michael,
    Muchas gracias por volver a conectar con nosotros!!
    Como la consulta es a tan largo plazo y para diferentes temporadas del año, te digo precios sin poder concretar y dependiendo de la disponibilidad...
    En el hotelito, una habitación para una noche/persona costaría +-50€ con desayuno y cena, en mayo y junio, en julio sería algo más cara.
    En la casa rural, compartiendo baño, una habitación por noche y persona costaría +-30€ con desayuno y cena, en mayo y junio, en julio sería algo más cara.
    Mi tlf de contacto es el 666-846866.
    Muchas gracias de nuevo, un saludo.
    Elena

Last edited:
Elena has messaged me again this evening to explain that she has a minimum 2 night stay at weekends. Hopefully that means anyone wanting to stay during the week only one night, will be fine. My plan would mean getting to Tarilonte on a Saturday.
It's no problem I can hopefully stay in Bar Mylo further up the road in Santibanez.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just looking at the stages from Vegacervera to La Magdalena. I am not keen on pavement walking so is Vergacervera to Polo de Gordon to La Magdalena a good option or would I be missing something sensational by not going via Buiza?
Also the stage Boñar to Vegacervera on the Ender's wikiloc map he has total time (to complete?) 12.5 hours, I do hope not?

Just looking at the stages from Vegacervera to La Magdalena. I am not keen on pavement walking so is Vergacervera to Polo de Gordon to La Magdalena a good option or would I be missing something sensational by not going via Buiza?
Also the stage Boñar to Vegacervera on the Ender's wikiloc map he has total time (to complete?) 12.5 hours, I do hope not?
Well Bonar to Vegacerva is about 28 kms and it only took me about 8 hours. It is a fantastic section and I especially liked the old roman road up near the high point was wonderful.

In addition, the section from Vegacervera to Polo de Gordon is spectacular in places.

Whether you want to go to Buiza or not will depend on whether you are planning to sleep there in the albergue. If you are planning to sleep in Pola de Gordon, you can shave a few kilometers off the stage by avoiding Buiza. Ender has tracks for both options. The road from Buiza to Pola De Gordon is almost all asphalt. But so is the alternative route.

So, here is your choice —the two alternatives split in Ciñera. One (the “official” route) goes through La Vid, on to Buiza and from there “backwards” on the Salvador to Pola de Gordon. The other goes from Ciñera, through Santa Lucía de Gordon and into Pola de Gordon. These options are clear on Google Maps. I believe Ender has taken some of the alternative off the road and I think some of it goes along a river. But either way you go there’s going to be asphalt.

Let me know if this doesn’t make sense because I haven’t had my 2nd cup of coffee yet this morning!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here’s a link to the Ciñera alternative through Santa Lucía. It looks to me like it is more off-road than the official route.

Ender came up with this route when the Buiza albergue was closed. I do not think it’s marked in any way with arrows, shells, etc. There was not much reason to go through Buiza if the albergue was closed and since it’s all road walking back to Pola de Gordón from Buiza.

I remember him telling me when he marked it that he had taken people off to a trail along a river, but by looking at the wikiloc tracks from here, I can’t tell how much is off-road.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to let anyone thinking of doing the Olvidado and walking Ender's stage 2b Gueñes to Villasana de Mena, the only accommoation there the Hostelería Foramontanos closed down last October. Looking forward to staying in Nava de Ordunte and the Albergue de acogida! Hope it is still open.

Hiya LL, the first thing I would do is look at my GUIDE. Here you will find ANSWERS to some of your questions. ( Eg. Page 2, ALTERNATIVE FROM BALMASADA ETC., VILLASANA DE MENA etc ). I've changed a couple of typos and renamed It and published it again as :

THE PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE CAMINO OLVIDADO FROM BILBAO - SUMMER 2022.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since Adolfo (in whose garage the albergue is located) is a true Camino angel, I’m betting it is going strong.

One sad consequence of that closing is that it makes it difficult/impossible to easily take the loop out to see the Romanesque gems that are located just a few km from Villasana de Mena. But I think Adolfo’s place is a solid option.
Hi Laurie, have a look at my Guide THE PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE CAMINO OLVIDADO FROM BILBAO - SUMMER 2022. I've just posted it. On Page 2 the ALTERNATIVE FROM BALMASEDA THAT BYPASSES NAVA DE ORDUNTE etc. would be the option for this post 38. You can leave from either Villasana de Mena / Mercadillo or Bilbao to visit the “Romanesque Gems “.
I always stay at NAVA DE ORDUNTE to see mi amigo Adolfo, whether I go left or right. Cheers, Mick.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry, am I missing the attachment or do I just search for it?

Sorry, am I missing the attachment or do I just search for it?
Right LL, CLICK FORUM then ROUTES IN SPAIN then the SUBFORUMS..Scroll down until you get CAMINO OLVIDADO. Click it and 9 titles down you will see THE PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE CAMINO OLVIDADO etc.

€83,-
For those walking the Invierno this year, @Sara_Dhooma is posting videos of her Olvidado, which I think she actually walked last summer. She has good footage of the albergues where she is staying — so far, she’s slept in Adolfo’s place and Casa Luisa. Neither of these places was open when I walked, so it’s interesting to see how things are changing.

On the first couple of stages at least, she is coinciding with three Spanish peregrinos. I got a kick out of the fact that she refers to them as “the oldies.” They are probably about 5-8 years younger than I — oh to be young again!

Videos can be found here — https://www.youtube.com/@SaraDhooma/videos

Last edited:
For those walking the Invierno this year, @Sara_Dhooma is posting videos of her Olvidado, which I think she actually walked last summer. She has good footage of the albergues where she is staying — so far, she’s slept in Adolfo’s place and Casa Luisa. Neither of these places was open when I walked, so it’s interesting to see how things are changing.

On the first couple of stages at least, she is coinciding with three Spanish peregrinos. I got a kick out of the fact that she refers to them as “the oldies.” They are probably about 5-8 years younger than I — oh to be young again!
I guess you mean planning on walking the Olvidado😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi again. Does anyone know if a new Albergue at Espinosa has opened? I have a note to check before I go over in Sept. Would welcome any update.

Don't know about Espinosa but I have had quite some contact with other hostales and albergues over the past few weeks as I leaving mid June. I'll post later some details as the albergues in Santelices is still closed as well as the one in Guardo and Cisterna. Also according to Gronze there is an albergue municipal in Cervera de Pisuerga but it is actually an albergue turístico acting as an hostal. The fee for one person is €30 with liner or sleeping bag and €35 without. Private room with shared bathroom and you have to pay in advance by transfer or Bizum giving your ID.

Can't remember if you have Facebook but there are 2 Spanish groups walking it right now and a third started yesterday and are posting on the Camino Olvidado page.

More info to follow.

Thanks @LTfit , any update on Albergues would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to reading about your own Olvidado journey.
Must look for the current posts, thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, this is what I've found so far for my stages:
Bilbao: Bilbao Metropolitan Hostel (stayed last year and is near the Norte/Olvidado): €20 dorm 6 or 8
Day 1 Balmaseda (stage 1, part stage 2B: albergue €12
Day 2 Villasante (part stage 2B+ 3B): house Isabel donativo

End of reasonably priced accomodations for at least a week

Day 3 Santelices (stage 4): Hotel Rural el Rincón de las Merindades €40
Day 4 Arija (stage 5): Camping Playa de Arija €22
Day 5 Olea (stage 6): no response yet from Casa los Eros €25 or Casa Miguel €30 vía sms or website
Day 6 Aguilar de Campoo (stage 7):
Hostal los Olmos €40
Day 7 Cervera de Pisuerga (stage 8):
Albergue Turístico Rivera de Pisuerga €30/35 single (pay in advance)
Day 8 Guardo (stage 9) or Velilla de Río Carrión (but would be 44 km)
In Guardo there is a place Don Edmundo €30 but 2 guys walking a few days ago were sent on to Velilla.
Nothing planned yet.
Day 9 Puente Almuhey (stage 10B)
Finally an albergue municipal. Sonia is the hospitalera.
Day 10 Cisterna (stage 11)
Nothing planned yet as was expecting the municipal to be open
Day 11 Boñar (stage 12B)
2 hostales: Hostal Nisi and Hostal Inés but neither have responded to my sms
Day 12 Vegacervera (stage 13B)
Albergue "El Chaltén". €10
Day 13 Pola de Gordón (stage 14B+ part 15B) Pension 15 de Mayo €20 or Pensión El Arenal €18
Day 14 La Magdalena (rest stage 15B) new albergue municipal!
Day 15 Vegarienza (stage 16 + part 17) Albergue Acogida de Peregrinos (Estella). No contact yet
Day 16 Igüeña (part stage 17 + 18)
albergue municipal
Day 17 Congosto (stage 19 + 20)
albergue municipal
Day 18 ? Through Cabañas Raras to maybe Villafranca (stage 21 + 22)

If I have updates from the guys walking now I will post. Many places do not have WhatsApp and only a few have answered my sms. I haven't yet called anyone as the first week is more or less settled. The guys walking now seem to be calling a day or so in advance.

I need to contact my provider to temporarily change my data plan as international calls are currently not included and are therefore expensive. It would be so much easier if everyone had WhatsApp 😉

Thank you @LTfit ! This is really helpful. I'll be heading out mid-June as well but from a different starting point. I've sorted out my first week to Aguilar and am looking at accommodations from this point as well.

I can also post any useful info here.

Happy planning!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you @LTfit ! This is really helpful. I'll be heading out mid-June as well but from a different starting point. I've sorted out my first week to Aguilar and am looking at accommodations from this point as well.

I can also post any useful info here.

Happy planning!
Actually planning is one of my least favorite activities 😉. I'm the kind of walker who prefers to do just that, walk and not worry about signage or accommodations but with this route that is not possible. It will also be way more expensive than all my previous ones but the upside is that it looks like the scenery will be outstanding.

So where are you starting from?

Also a heads-up, a guy from the Facebook Olvidado group who has walked this route before said to be very careful during the downhill between Fasgar and Igüeña. Apparently it can be dangerous.

Actually planning is one of my least favorite activities 😉. I'm the kind of walker who prefers to do just that, walk and not worry about signage or accommodations but with this route that is not possible. It will also be way more expensive than all my previous ones but the upside is that it looks like the scenery will be outstanding.

So where are you starting from?

Also a heads-up, a guy from the Facebook Olvidado group who has walked this route before said to be very careful during the downhill between Fasgar and Igüeña. Apparently it can be dangerous.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be starting in Miranda de Ebro and will be about 8 days to Aguilar. And yup! This one is going to be expensive!! If I wasn't so excited about it, I might opt for another route but it all just looks so beautiful.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be starting in Miranda de Ebro and will be about 8 days to Aguilar. And yup! This one is going to be expensive!! If I wasn't so excited about it, I might opt for another route but it all just looks so beautiful.
Indeed it does! Last year I changed my mind a couple a weeks before leaving and repeated the Norte instead as I already had my ticket to Bilbao.

I'm so used to sleeping in albergue dorms that it will feel strange sleeping in a private room. I had that experience on the Salvador in 2021 when I had to sleep in a few pensiones as all the municipal albergues were still closed due to Covid.

Who knows, maybe our paths will cross. I'm expecting to be in Aguilar on June 22nd.

Who knows, maybe our paths will cross. I'm expecting to be in Aguilar on June 22nd.

It sounds like you'll be a day or two ahead of me! I expect to arrive in Aguilar on the 23rd and at the moment am thinking I'll take a rest day there; they're are some things I want to see and the day before is looking like a very long day.

But plans change and maybe we will cross paths!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 11 Boñar (stage 12B)
Day 13 Pola de Gordón (stage 14B+ part 15B) Pension 15 de Mayo €20 or Pensión El Arenal €18

Hi again! I've been looking more into accommodations post Alguilar de Campoo and might have some information of interest.

In Cistierna, I contacted Hostal Moderno via WhatsApp at 661 76 75 94. They seem to be a small place and told me they were full on the date I was looking at, but then contacted me later to say there was just a cancellation so I have a room booked. 25 euros. Might be a busy little town! The other hostal was also full on my likely date!

In Boñar I spoke to Hostal Nisi on the phone. An individual room for a peregrina is 20 euros (probably for a peregrino as well ;)

In Pola de Gordon, Pension 15 de Mayo responded quickly on this email: pension15demayo@outlook.es The price has gone up a little to 22 euros for an individual room.

It looks more traditional albergues for the rest so I haven't contacted any yet but will probably do so on route.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In Cistierna, I contacted Hostal Moderno via WhatsApp at 661 76 75 94. They seem to be a small place and told me they were full on the date I was looking at, but then contacted me later to say there was just a cancellation so I have a room booked. 25 euros. Might be a busy little town! The other hostal was also full on my likely date!
Good to know that they have WhatsApp! I'll contact them right away. What other hostel name do you have?
In Boñar I spoke to Hostal Nisi on the phone. An individual room for a peregrina is 20 euros (probably for a peregrino as well ;)
For a peregrina is sufficient 😉. I
In Pola de Gordon, Pension 15 de Mayo responded quickly on this email: pension15demayo@outlook.es The price has gone up a little to 22 euros for an individual room.
Yes, I've already booked with them and saw the price increase since I stayed there in 2021.
It looks more traditional albergues for the rest so I haven't contacted any yet but will probably do so on route.

Buen Camino!
Thanks for the help!

The other one is Hostal el Cruce: https://hostalelcrucecistierna.com/

I think there are a few other options (Casa Rurales etc) that are listed in Ender's Guide if these two are full.
Thanks! Hostel Moderno was prompt and confirmed they have a room.

I guess I'll need to call Hostal Nisi since my 2 messages have not been answered. It's so much easier when accommodations have WhatsApp!

Ok, this is what I've found so far for my stages:
Bilbao: Bilbao Metropolitan Hostel (stayed last year and is near the Norte/Olvidado): €20 dorm 6 or 8
Day 1 Balmaseda (stage 1, part stage 2B: albergue €12
Day 2 Villasante (part stage 2B+ 3B): house Isabel donativo

End of reasonably priced accomodations for at least a week

Day 3 Santelices (stage 4): Hotel Rural el Rincón de las Merindades €40
Day 4 Arija (stage 5): Camping Playa de Arija €22
Day 5 Olea (stage 6): no response yet from Casa los Eros €25 or Casa Miguel €30 vía sms or website
Day 6 Aguilar de Campoo (stage 7):
Hostal los Olmos €40
Day 7 Cervera de Pisuerga (stage 8):
Albergue Turístico Rivera de Pisuerga €30/35 single (pay in advance)
Day 8 Guardo (stage 9) or Velilla de Río Carrión (but would be 44 km)
In Guardo there is a place Don Edmundo €30 but 2 guys walking a few days ago were sent on to Velilla.
Nothing planned yet.
Day 9 Puente Almuhey (stage 10B)
Finally an albergue municipal. Sonia is the hospitalera.
Day 11 Boñar (stage 12B)
Day 14 La Magdalena (rest stage 15B) new albergue municipal!
Day 15 Vegarienza (stage 16 + part 17) Albergue Acogida de Peregrinos (Estella). No contact yet
Day 16 Igüeña (part stage 17 + 18)
albergue municipal
Day 17 Congosto (stage 19 + 20)
albergue municipal
Day 18 ? Through Cabañas Raras to maybe Villafranca (stage 21 + 22)

If I have updates from the guys walking now I will post. Many places do not have WhatsApp and only a few have answered my sms. I haven't yet called anyone as the first week is more or less settled. The guys walking now seem to be calling a day or so in advance.

I need to contact my provider to temporarily change my data plan as international calls are currently not included and are therefore expensive. It would be so much easier if everyone had WhatsApp 😉
Hi LT, how is it going? I stayed at the hotel Metropolitan in Bilbao for a few days last week, just a little over 13 Euros per night. I have also seen it when it's been 70 euros per night, when there was a music festival In Bilbao. I have stayed there numerous times. I like the location it's near Bando Train Station etc. If you sign in at Bossh Hotels you get a 5% discount.

In Olea, Casa Miguel is now 25 Euros with breakfast. Casa Eros Is not open. (Personal problem.)

In Cervera de Pisuerga ( Typo) Albergue Touristico Rivera is now Albergue Cervera de Pisuerga. 30 Euros with own sleeping bag. 35 Euros if you use their sheets.

In Arija Hotel Rural la Piedra is still 30 Euros.

In Velilla del Rio Carrion Hostel Stop is 30 euros. Suerte, Mick.

Thanks Mick!

I believe I paid €20 for Metropolitan Hostel, the same as last year. It depends how many bunks to a room. Can't remember what I reserved. Very clean place and well situated to get either onto the Ría route for the Norte or the Olvidado. I've stayed in the Albergue de Peregrinos on the upper route twice which is fine if walking the Norte and not taking the Ría route but that's way out of the way for me this time.

Good to know about Casa Eros. I'll give Casa Miguel a call when I get to Spain. I've had contact with pretty much everyone else.

FYI for Albergue Cervera de Pisuerga you need to pay up front via transfer or Bizum.

In Arija I've reserved at the camping for €22.

Since the Guardo muni is now open I won't need to walk the 44 km to Velilla😀.

I'll probably start a new thread on Saturday, day 1 to Balmaseda.

€60,-
Airbnbs?
Hey everyone!
I am thinking about walking this camino with a few friends maybe because the accomodations could be a bit cheaper if we share rooms and prices :)
Anyone has experiences with airbnbs on the way maybe? I haven't checked them, only the hostels/casa rurals based on the notes some pilgrims shared.
Thanks,
Buen Camino everyone :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back