• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2023 Roll Call for Via Francigena

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
I couldn’t hold out any more - I’ve got my tickets for Italy for May 2023. I’d like to start a thread for others who will be walking all or part of the Via Francigena in 2023.

My plan: Lucca to Roma. I arrive in Florence Monday May 15. I figure: sleep, head to Lucca for two nights, and start walking Thursday May 18.

Any one else?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lucca is a great place to start but you can also start in Florence and join the VF in Siena.

As an aside, bag transporters start from Lucca if you need that.

I couldn’t hold out any more - I’ve got my tickets for Italy for May 2023. I’d like to start a thread for others who will be walking all or part of the Via Francigena in 2023.

My plan: Lucca to Roma. I arrive in Florence Monday May 15. I figure: sleep, head to Lucca for two nights, and start walking Thursday May 18.

Any one else?
I plan to start in Canterbury mid-April!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@MichaelC I am hoping to walk part of the Via Francigena from Lucca to Viterbo with my 3 friends - and perhaps my husband too. We had airline tickets and our reservations in order for 2020, and of course that never happened. Though this year we decided to walk the Ruta do Mar and the Camino Inglés we still want to do the Via Francigena and are in the midst of putting it together for 2023.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If all goes to plan, I hope to walk the VF from London to Rome, starting in early August 2023.

I'm proposing to carry a lightweight tent for the French stages. If you've walked the French parts of the VF in recent times, do you think a tent is a daft idea?
Just last week -- finished the 1st half of the VF from Canterbury to Saint Maurice. 40 days of walking and 561 miles. Tent isn't necessary unless you like camping out. Note: Wild camping is not allowed/forbidden in France, so you have to camp at approved sites along the way and the fees are not particularly cheap.
I stayed with families along the old Voie Romaine and in several other places; stayed in convents and monasteries where I could and found quite cheap hotels on the outskirts of Reims and Saint Quentin. Hostels are quite inexpensive in Reims, Besancon, Pontarlier and Dampierre sur Salon. Toughest place to find rooms was on the day after Wisques and on the day I was in Laon. Both were influenced by a convention or another festival that could have be avoided had I known what to expect. Booking ahead a couple of days became my norm (which is much different than either the Camino Frances or Portuguese, in my previous experiences).
The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome is a great resource (full disclosure, I am a member) with an exhaustive list of places one can stay along the route, and the list is updated continuously by members who are walking providing additional details and current information.
Carried only a sleep sack and a couple of lightweight mylar sheets for those times when I needed cover a ratty old mattress (happened twice) and didn't want to sleep on the sheets provided.
Planning to continue the trek, from Martigny to Rome, in late June 2023 (weather dependent on San Bernardo Pass opening date).
Note: in 40 days of hiking I encountered 12(!) other pilgrims. This is a low number, but not abnormal according to my hosts on the old Roman Road (Voie Romaine). Tough hike, long distance and havoc wrought by pandemic are all factors. Lots of small villages have no services (boulangeries/groceries/bar-tabacs) all shuttered permanently, so plan carefully when you leave bigger cities and don't pass up an open store if you need water or fruit or bread.
This was an epic journey and I can't wait to continue.

Bon Chemin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lucca is a great place to start but you can also start in Florence and join the VF in Siena.

As an aside, bag transporters start from Lucca if you need that.
I wrote to some of the transport companies, and they will only bring bags to proper hotels and B&Bs. That brings the cost way up - too much for me.

Any one else?
Looking to start in Lausanne, late May

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Any one else?
I am hoping to start late august 2023 in Laussane to avoid too much snow on the pass, but hoping to find some friends to join me for a bit of it.

Looking to walk Canterbury to Rome starting late May/Early April. Had the walk planned for 2020 but could not leave Australia due Covid. This will now be for my 68th Birthday.

My biggest concern is one knee is wearing out. I am planning to take an ultra light poncho tarp that can be made into a small emergency shelter using hiking poles if I get caught without accommodation in France. This system weighs less than my other rain gear and will replace my rain jacket and pants. An emergency groundsheet is window tint film strong and ultra light. I also will carry a very light weight sleeping bag which I have used on previous Caminos when accommodation had no blankets or the bedding looked less than acceptable.

I am not a regular walker so have 8 Months to get the body in condition.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I guess I would like some additional advice. I posted on the VF Facebook page asking if I would need a bivvy (tiny tent) and/or sleeping bag if I started in Canterbury mid-April. At that point all the responses were No, a silk liner was enough and I wouldn’t need to camp. However, a couple days ago someone posted a similar question and the general consensus was Yes, I will need a tent and sleeping bag. So…….. if anyone here has experience with this (mid-April, Canterbury, walking for a month) I would REALLY appreciate hearing about it.

I guess I would like some additional advice. I posted on the VF Facebook page asking if I would need a bivvy (tiny tent) and/or sleeping bag if I started in Canterbury mid-April. At that point all the responses were No, a silk liner was enough and I wouldn’t need to camp. However, a couple days ago someone posted a similar question and the general consensus was Yes, I will need a tent and sleeping bag. So…….. if anyone here has experience with this (mid-April, Canterbury, walking for a month) I would REALLY appreciate hearing about it.
Don't have experience in the April time frame, but starting in May from Canterbury earlier this year I needed the waterproof jacket and pants several times in the first two weeks I was walking.
The question of a bivvy depends on how far you plan to walk (or can walk) each day. I walked an average of 14-15 miles each day and never needed to camp (note: camping outside of regulated or private campgrounds is illegal in France). However, I did need to walk up to 22 miles on two different days to find open accommodations. This was my fault for hewing to the old pilgrim mantra of not booking ahead, but letting the Universe provide. With the number of tourists and pilgrims flooding back into traveling (post-Pandemic), it soon became obvious that booking ahead was a common sense necessity.
I used the accomodation list from the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (https://pilgrimstorome.org.uk) for an extensive list of possible places to stay, as well as the French site: www.chambre-hote.fr , for gites and rural rooms to rent. This site is in French, but scroll to the bottom of the home page and you can pick from about a dozen languages to translate and display.
Bon Chemin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked in April - May 2019 - pre Covid days so I don’t know how valid this is. I did not carry a tent or sleeping bag, just a liner. I made some reservations ahead - particularly between Reims and Besancon- where there are long distances between towns. I found that food was a bigger issue. Making sure I carried enough from Sunday to Tuesday when many shops were closed. I would stock up on Saturday or Sunday morning and carry a little extra just to make sure.

You're not going to get a good idea of the weather and your needs until closer to the date. Weather can be changeable ranging from days of constant rain, through to pleasant sunshine. You just won't know this early. We are not blessed with the sunshine of CA.

Would plan to pack light and identify camping shops on route where you can pick up the parts you might miss. Plenty of Decathlon stores in France.

I'm in the research stage hoping for a Lucca start in May 2023. My book divides those 410 km into 19 stages with many of them being less than 20 km. For those of you who have done or are planning to do this part, does 19 days walking sound about right to you? I don't want to hurry too much, but I don't want to spend more time sitting around than walking either.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm in the research stage hoping for a Lucca start in May 2023. My book divides those 410 km into 19 stages with many of them being less than 20 km. For those of you who have done or are planning to do this part, does 19 days walking sound about right to you? I don't want to hurry too much, but I don't want to spend more time sitting around than walking either.
Dépends on how fast you walk and how many café or cerveza breaks you take. Personally, I average about 25-27km per day and still have plenty of time to sit around or see interesting sites or drink beer and lie about how fast I used to be!😂
Bon chemin

Dépends on how fast you walk and how many café or cerveza breaks you take. Personally, I average about 25-27km per day and still have plenty of time to sit around or see interesting sites or drink beer and lie about how fast I used to be!😂
Bon chemin
On the Frances you can pick how far you want to walk in a day for the most part, on the Primitivo less so. I'm wondering specific to the VF from Lucca to Rome what is the case. For instance, if the next two Ostellos are 15 and 50 kms away, you would have to choose between a really short day and a really long day since there isn't a 25-27 km away option. Also there are towns that are must see like San Gimignano and Siena that might skew how many kms one would walk that day. So does anybody recall how many days they took for this stretch, or how many days they have mapped out that they plan to take for this stretch?

Have you checked the official site for the sections in Italy. Lucca is Tappa 28 onwards?

If there are no Ostellos you can try the Agriturismo. Some even supply company.

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Corned Beef! I had found the official app - but this is easier to navigate on the big screen than on my phone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Any one else?
I'm considering it.

My spouse has a motorbike stabled in Bavaria, that he would like to ride. I don't want to ride, I want to walk, preferably in pilgrim mode, but we want to meet up somewhere to spend some time together. So I'm thinking of walking some of the Francigena. He can ride to meet me, spend a few days with me, then he ride back to Bavaria to park the bike until our next trip from Oz, while I continue walking. Then we meet up at a European departure airport to fly back to Oz.

I am fine with solitary walking, but I do like meeting other people too. My best memories are always of people.

Suggestions welcome.

I am considering it too but maybe starting in late august to avoid too much snow on the pass.
Yep, I understand that, as I have now started to plan my main objective is GSBP. I have revised my plan and will now fly into Rome and Train/bus to the pass and walk back to Rome. This saves time, money, and reduced distance, avoiding Switzerland. However it’s just a plan so things could change, still looking late May for arrival in Rome, so should finish about 40days later early July. I understand the temps get higher in August.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm considering it.

My spouse has a motorbike stabled in Bavaria, that he would like to ride. I don't want to ride, I want to walk, preferably in pilgrim mode, but we want to meet up somewhere to spend some time together. So I'm thinking of walking some of the Francigena. He can ride to meet me, spend a few days with me, then he ride back to Bavaria to park the bike until our next trip from Oz, while I continue walking. Then we meet up at a European departure airport to fly back to Oz.

I am fine with solitary walking, but I do like meeting other people too. My best memories are always of people.

Suggestions welcome.
Wonderful to hear. I’m on the last three days of the VFdel Sud right now. When I get to Santa Maria di Leuca that will be it - every millimetre from Canterbury to there except the Channel and Po ferries. I did Canterbury to Brindisi four years ago. But as you know well— one has to do it all.;)
If you want to meet fellow pilgrims in the evenings you really should choose Italy. I met twelve people in France and Switzerland and that includes a group of ten! And you will need French if you are going to have conversations. (It’s fabulous, I’d go again tomorrow.)
The GSB is definitely special. You can start just before it. (In Switzerland) The final ‘ascent’ is recreational. Then down through Aosta. You have to think about the paddy fields in Vercelli. But the kind of person who wouldn’t dream of missing the meseta would not miss them!! Just saying 😀
There will be fellow walkers in Italy and more towns and villages with chatty people. Once you get into Italy there is, as far as Rome anyway, something comparable to the albergue ‘system’ in Spain.
Go for it. Let us know
Tim x

Last edited:
still looking late May for arrival in Rome, so should finish about 40days later early July. I understand the temps get higher in August.

Don't forget that the Pass may not be passable in late May and you'll not find out till closer to the date. It wasn't on 25th May in 2019. So if the Pass is on your list, have some flexibility.

There is a description of the issues by a certain @timr which are worthwhile considering.

Don't forget that the Pass may not be passable in late May and you'll not find out till closer to the date. It wasn't on 25th May in 2019. So if the Pass is on your list, have some flexibility.

There is a description of the issues by a certain @timr which are worthwhile considering.

Yep, I always remain flexible, l will use the bus to get to the pass, to walk down into Italy 🇮🇹 I do have flexibility to book my flight to Rome. If it’s meant to be it will be. 🙏

If you want to meet fellow pilgrims in the evenings you really should choose Italy. I meet twelve people in France and Switzerland and that includes a group of ten! And you will need French if you are going to have conversations. (It’s fabulous, I’d go again tomorrow.)
The GSB is definitely special. You can start just before it. (In Switzerland) The final ‘ascent’ is recreational. Then down through Aosta. You have to think about the paddy fields in Vercelli. But the kind of person who wouldn’t dream of missing the meseta would not miss them!! Just saying 😀
There will be fellow walkers in Italy and more towns and villages with chatty people. Once you get into Italy there is, as far as Rome anyway, something comparable to the albergue ‘system’
in Spain.
Go for it. Let us know
Tim x
That is helpful. I loved walking in France but apart from the Le Puy met only a handful of other walkers on the Tours and even less on the Arles. On both those I had my spouse as a companion. It would have been lonely without him.

I do speak Spanish and think there is a fair crossover with Italian; at least enough to be optimistic I can manage basic communication. And I do like hand and facial gestures!

That is helpful. I loved walking in France but apart from the Le Puy met only a handful of other walkers on the Tours and even less on the Arles. On both those I had my spouse as a companion. It would have been lonely without him.

I do speak Spanish and think there is a fair crossover with Italian; at least enough to be optimistic I can manage basic communication. And I do like hand and facial gestures!
Yes indeed, I had Italian first before I learned Spanish and found a certain initial element of confusion between the two but it does help basic understanding, and as you say hand and face are essential for Italian. And they have separated in my head now.
My experience after GSB, or at least after Aosta was of the normal nationality mix of pilgrims like in Spain, though absolute numbers much fewer. I think from GSB onward would be the easiest stage to manage without much Italian. After Rome two things happen: the numbers of walkers drop precipitously, virtually to zero and much less English spoken.
But it is a beautiful, warm and inviting country,
On my walk today I could see Albania across the sea, bringing back more happy memories. Coastal resorts here are about 95% closed down for the season, but as I have often said - you only need one bed, one bar and one restaurant.😉

Good evening all! My husband and I are planning to walk from Aosta to Rome next year. Trying to work out if this is possible starting mid to late April as this would be the ideal time for us. Would we be ok snow wise. Many thanks in advance.

Yep, I understand that, as I have now started to plan my main objective is GSBP. I have revised my plan and will now fly into Rome and Train/bus to the pass and walk back to Rome. This saves time, money, and reduced distance, avoiding Switzerland. However it’s just a plan so things could change, still looking late May for arrival in Rome, so should finish about 40days later early July. I understand the temps get higher in August.
Why not fly to Milan, and then home from Rome?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can anyone recommend a detailed guide book from Lucca to Rome?
I recently returned from walking the majority of this same stretch on the Via Francigena. I used the Cicerone guidebook written by Sandy Brown, "Walking the Via Francigena- part 3", and found it very helpful.

The Cicerone guidebook is from 2021. I was hoping for a newer version?
I found my 2021 copy to be totally adequate. Maybe someone else will chime in to help you further.
We also used the "Via Francigena- official app" from the Google play store. The two of them worked very well together.

I recently returned from walking the majority of this same stretch on the Via Francigena. I used the Cicerone guidebook written by Sandy Brown, "Walking the Via Francigena- part 3", and found it very helpful.
That’s good to know , thank you, I have just purchased 2 & 3 for June/July 2023.

I will depart Canterbury for Dover on May 28th. I am planning to walk to St Bernard's Pass if I can make it that far in the limited time I have. My daughter might join me - who knows. She tells me she is joining me one day and then telling me about some totally different travel plan the next.

I will depart Canterbury for Dover on May 28th. I am planning to walk to St Bernard's Pass if I can make it that far in the limited time I have. My daughter might join me - who knows. She tells me she is joining me one day and then telling me about some totally different travel plan the next.
Where are you flying in to to start in Canterbury? Do you already have the ferry secured to Calais, France?

Where are you flying in to to start in Canterbury? Do you already have the ferry secured to Calais, France?
I am flying into London Heathrow Airport and then will take a train to Canterbury as soon as I arrive. My plane lands at 11am, so I should be able to get to Canterbury by 3pm and if all goes smoothly - I can check into my hotel and tour the Cathedral before 5pm - and then get a good nights sleep. I will walk to Dover in the AM.

I have not secured my ferry tickets yet - but I have been trying to decide which reservation to make. I have 2 options: I can walk to Dover, spend the night in Dover and then take the morning ferry to Calais. Problem with that is I would lose the entire morning for walking - and I absolutely prefer to walk in the earlier hours of the day. Or I can walk to Dover and catch the 1730 ferry. Problem with that is - I would need to get an early start from Canterbury to ensure I made it to the ferry in time to do the security screening and be at the assigned meeting place to catch the shuttle 90 minutes before departure. I had planned to stay at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge and have a good breakfast before departure - but breakfast doesn't start until 7 or 7:30 - which would mean I might not depart until 8/8:30am - and of course that would mean I have to walk straight through to the ferry without leaving a lot of time for rest breaks. The VF route is listed at being 18.9 miles which I could do in 7 hours pretty easily (I walk 17 miles in 5.5 hours every Sunday) - but it makes me uncomfortable cutting the time so close. I could also walk a bit more of a direct path instead of the winding areas of the marked VF route - but worry that follows too busy of a road.

Sadly - there are only two ferries per day being listed for foot passengers. I might just change hotels and buy something the night before for breakfast - which would allow me more room for rest breaks or to have a little time to explore Dover before moving on to Calais. Unfortunately - the website for the ferry now says you can't buy foot passenger tickets on arrival - which would have given me more flexibility.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jeanine, it sounds like you have done your homework and have a couple of options in mind. I'm sure it will all work out. It will be interesting to follow your progress once you get started if you intend to post on the forum or have your own blog.
Thanks! I think right now my biggest worry is P&O cancelling my ferry as they kept doing to people this year. If they do I will have to decide if I am going to walk the Canterbury to Dover section at all - because I would have to take a train back to London to catch a train to France which would just totally mess up my first days plans.

I would have to agree with everything you mentioned above. My biggest concern is the ferry issue as well. Their inconsistencies are my biggest trepidation when it comes to planning this trip. After the ferry everything else is on autopilot.
I'm glad we're talking about this letting me know I am thinking along the right track.

Good evening all! My husband and I are planning to walk from Aosta to Rome next year. Trying to work out if this is possible starting mid to late April as this would be the ideal time for us. Would we be ok snow wise. Many thanks in advance.
I am also looking to start in Aosta in late April 2023 if the snowpack allows. Bon Chemin!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am also looking to start in Aosta in late April 2023 if the snowpack allows. Bon Chemin!
I was looking to start at the pass in Switzerland and hike down through Aosta. Investigating the historic weather patterns mid to late May stands a better chance for the pass. I think if you start from Aosta you should be ok at that time of the year, but one can never tell. Buen Camino

All booked, well almost, flights out of Australia, into and out of Rome. one nights accommodation on arrival in Rome, train to Aosta. Start walking back to Rome (lol) using the Sandy Brown (Ciccrone) guide book. Is it imperative that I book a bed ahead each day, I normally walk til I feel like I want to stop, then look for bed on the fly. While this has worked well on the Caminos in Spain, not sure this approach is the best for Italy? What do you guys think? I do like the freedom to stop when I want, if I am enjoying myself or find a certain interesting town/church/etc - I like to stop. I do not like to feel the pressure of picking a target town and just walking to get there.
I should be starting at or around the 10th June 2023 (Aosta), let me know if you are in the vicinity, I will buy the first vino rosso, Buen Camino

All booked, well almost, flights out of Australia, into and out of Rome. one nights accommodation on arrival in Rome, train to Aosta. Start walking back to Rome (lol) using the Sandy Brown (Ciccrone) guide book. Is it imperative that I book a bed ahead each day, I normally walk til I feel like I want to stop, then look for bed on the fly. While this has worked well on the Caminos in Spain, not sure this approach is the best for Italy? What do you guys think? I do like the freedom to stop when I want, if I am enjoying myself or find a certain interesting town/church/etc - I like to stop. I do not like to feel the pressure of picking a target town and just walking to get there.
I should be starting at or around the 10th June 2023 (Aosta), let me know if you are in the vicinity, I will buy the first vino rosso, Buen Camino
Well done on the booking, Dodger! I'm at my computer now, finalizing my flight to Milan. I'll travel to Aosta and start the journey on April 25. I'm interested in any replies to your query. I also like the freedom to stop at will. Bummer I'll be ahead of you. That first vino rosso would be sweet! Buen Camino

Is it imperative that I book a bed ahead each day, I normally walk til I feel like I want to stop, then look for bed on the fly.
At least for the sections in Tuscany and Lazio, reservations are obligatory at some pilgrim accommodations, recommended at others, and not taken at all on a few. It seems to be a mix. I've been using gronze for my research.

There are social media posts from folks without reservations in towns & who could only find 100 euro and up hotels.

I'll be calling the day ahead, just to be sure I have a bed & to stay on budget!

Last edited:
I can't speak from experience yet, I'm just researching for my trip in May. I'm trying to reprogram my brain that it's going to be different from the Camino. Most of the stages from Lucca to Rome seem to be shorter than what I got used to on the Frances and the Primitivo. But more of the towns have historic landmarks so in the additional time not spent walking there will be more to see. Reservations are recommended on the VF by numerous sources I've read - not sure if you've seen the endlessly raging debate about reservations on the Camino on this Forum. It seems communal dinners are less common on the VF. I do know that Italian coffee is every bit as good as the cafe in Spain so what can go wrong? 🤣

I can't speak from experience yet, I'm just researching for my trip in May. I'm trying to reprogram my brain that it's going to be different from the Camino. Most of the stages from Lucca to Rome seem to be shorter than what I got used to on the Frances and the Primitivo. But more of the towns have historic landmarks so in the additional time not spent walking there will be more to see. Reservations are recommended on the VF by numerous sources I've read - not sure if you've seen the endlessly raging debate about reservations on the Camino on this Forum. It seems communal dinners are less common on the VF. I do know that Italian coffee is every bit as good as the cafe in Spain so what can go wrong? 🤣
As my intention is the first train out of Rome (0600) to Aosta and then walk to Nus on my first day to stretch my legs after a 6 hour train ride. I plan to book this first nights accomodation to be on the safe side. I will see how I go, while I am on a budget, I do have some capacity for higher accomodation cost for the odd few days during the trip. I have about 400 kms to work it out before I hit Tuscany, if I have too I will book ahead to help keep the cost down.
Peligro _ I walked the Via de la Plata last year just after Easter, while it was a little busy for a week, I never booked ahead, came close to no bed, but it all worked out ok. I did book Santiago as it was quite busy June when I arrived. In have the Cicerone guide book and intend to stay away from the stages, so will look to stay in smaller villages/towns. I never like to plan to much would like the way to guide me I find it much more enjoyable.
Buen Camino, I may even catch you up depending on your start date? thank you for your sage words, stay safe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At least for the sections in Tuscany and Lazio, reservations are obligatory at some pilgrim accommodations, recommended at others, and not taken at all on a few. It seems to be a mix. I've been using gronze for my research.

There are social media posts from folks without reservations in towns & could only find 100 euro and up hotels.

I'll be calling the day ahead, just to be sure I have a bed & to stay on budget!
Hi MichaelC
I think that is sound advice, I will book this first nights accomodation to be on the safe side. I will see how I go, while I am on a budget also , I do have some capacity for higher accomodation cost for the odd few days during the trip. I did expect more traffic in Tuscany it is a very popular area for tourists, so I do expect to book ahead. I do note from the guide book that a large proportion of places do require a reservation, so I will have to bow and book ahead, however there is always the emergency option to sleep rough.I never like to plan to much would like the way to guide me I find it much more enjoyable. Buen Camino, stay safe

I did expect more traffic in Tuscany it is a very popular area for tourists, so I do expect to book ahead. I do note from the guide book that a large proportion of places do require a reservation, so I will have to bow and book ahead, however there is always the emergency option to sleep rough.I never like to plan to much would like the way to guide me I find it much more enjoyable. Buen Camino, stay safe
I'll be interested in hearing how it goes! After walking in France I got used to booking ahead one day. I'm not strongly in the pro or con camp, but I found it didn't affect my sense of freedom as much as I thought it would. Partly it's that there were longer distances between towns, so there often wasn't the same option as "I'll just walk five or ten more km" like we have in Spain.

Any one else?
Hi,
My wife and I are planning to complete the VF in April. We completed our "Phase 1" in October, Canterbury to Lausanne (by car, stopping at many churches). For the completion, we are planning to walk from Lucca to Rome.

Two Pilgrims

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have booked my flight and a few nights in a hostel in Florence. I will take the train to Siena on the 30th and then walk very slowly to Rome to arrive on the 23rd April my 70th birthday. I walked the Frances from Roncesvalles to SDC in 2021 booking some night the day before others just turning up. 2022 I walked Porto to Finesterre and booked all but the first night a day in advance. I have so far only booked good Friday, I have emailed hostels for the rest of Easter but have had no reply and a lot of the websites I have found on the accommodation lists come up not found. How are others finding cheap accommodation?
Muddy-Mama

I have booked my flight and a few nights in a hostel in Florence. I will take the train to Siena on the 30th and then walk very slowly to Rome to arrive on the 23rd April my 70th birthday. I walked the Frances from Roncesvalles to SDC in 2021 booking some night the day before others just turning up. 2022 I walked Porto to Finesterre and booked all but the first night a day in advance. I have so far only booked good Friday, I have emailed hostels for the rest of Easter but have had no reply and a lot of the websites I have found on the accommodation lists come up not found. How are others finding cheap accommodation?
Muddy-Mama
I don't want to generalise too much - but I will a bit. :)

My experience on VF, VF del Sud and more recently Cammino Materano and Cammino del Salento is that it IS important to contact your host ahead, though a day or two in advance is usually enough.

I would say that I was significantly more likely to get a response to a message sent by Whatsapp in Italy then any other way. If it is an 'insititution' FaceBook Messenger is often very good too. A simple phone call can work well if you have enough Italian, but for reasons not clear (and I lived in Italy for four years) phone calls in Italy are not always easy! :eek:

Not everyone likes Whatsapp, but it works well and is I think definitely very popular in Italy. If you use it for text - you can use a translator if you need to. It is also a good way to make a cheap voice phone call. So if you can find a phone number, I would see if they have Whatsapp and try that. It would be my first choice method in Italy.

Last edited:
I don't want to generalise too much - but I will a bit. :)

My experience on VF, VF del Sud and more recently Cammino Materano and Cammino del Salento is that it IS important to contact your host ahead, though a day or two in advance is usually enough.

I would say that I was significantly more likely to get a response to a message sent by Whatsapp in Italy then any other way. If it is an 'insititution' FaceBook Messenger is often very good too. A simple phone call can work well if you have enough Italian, but for reasons not clear (and I lived in Italy for four years) phone calls in Italy are not always easy! :eek:

Not everyone likes Whatsapp, but it works well and is I think definitely very popular in Italy. If you use it for text - you can use a translator if you need to. It is also a good way to make a cheap voice phone call. So if you can find a phone number, I would see if they have Whatsapp and try that. It would be my first choice method in Italy.
Thanks I use whatsapp a lot so I will try that. My worry is getting a bed over the Easter period or do people stay at home with family at this time?

Thanks I use whatsapp a lot so I will try that. My worry is getting a bed over the Easter period or do people stay at home with family at this time?
I walked the Cammino de Salento back in November. It goes from Lecce to Santa Maria di Leuca mostly along the coast. It is very much a "holiday" area and the vast majority of accommodation had closed down for the winter. But I found myself saying...I only need one bar, one restaurant and one bed. And one way or another I found it every night!

I walked the Cammino de Salento back in November. It goes from Lecce to Santa Maria di Leuca mostly along the coast. It is very much a "holiday" area and the vast majority of accommodation had closed down for the winter. But I found myself saying...I only need one bar, one restaurant and one bed. And one way or another I found it every night!
yes the Camino provides.

@Camino Chrissy
Chrissy..are you making plans?
Very tempting for us and we are just starting to put some ideas together for a late start from Canterbury.
The concern we have is the lack of training we have done over the last year or more and whether or not we can get up to speed before mid to late April.

I only walked Lucca to Rome last fall, so can not help you starting from Canterbury. I had asked the question because a thread from a year+ ago was about the ferry crossing and foot passengers were not being allowed then.
I have loose plans to finish the Norte and walk on to Muxia.

I only walked Lucca to Rome last fall, so can not help you starting from Canterbury. I had asked the question because a thread from a year+ ago was about the ferry crossing and foot passengers were not being allowed then.

Thanks to some lobbying by the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome, P&O Ferries have reinstated foot-passenger availability on four ferries each day, so that Dover to Calais is once again feasible for Pilgrims attempting the whole Via Francigena.

My plans are firming up too. I'm walking somewhere in Spain for a few weeks in April, and then flying to Milan to walk the Francigena from Fidenza to Rome.

From Fidenza on 14 May - a guesstimate at this stage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It looks like we'll have a steady stream on the road! Some dates are still guestimates, and some are still "probably" or "maybe".

late March – balabubububu, Lucca or Fidenza
late May / early April – Steven B, Canterbury
April – jruberto Lucca
mid to late April – grayland, Canterbury
April 17/20 – SusanSmyth, Canterbury
April 25 – Bearsmom, Aosta
April 30, Bob from LA, Canterbury
Late April – Sunic68, Aosta
May – Peligro, Lucca
May 2 - Aysen Mustafa, Massa
May 14 – Kanga, Fidenza
May 18 – Michael C, Lucca
May 28 – jeanineonthecamino, Canterbury
May 30 – muddy-mama, Siena
June 10 – Dodger, Aosta
June – Rex, Martigny
August – texastreker, Lausanne
August – Tandem Graham, London
September – Levi, Aosta
October – J Patrick, Lucca

also, maybe ...
Pergrina 2013, biranne fitzgerald

Last edited:
Flying into Milan on 26 April and spending 3 days there and then 3 days in Como area and then training down to Massa on 2 May and walking to Siena. I have decided to split day one into two stages, overnighting in Camaiore before going on to Lucca as a 26km on day 1 might be pushing it. I have a mild case of shin splits from walking the CF in 2018.

Flying into Milan on 26 April and spending 3 days there and then 3 days in Como area and then training down to Massa on 2 May and walking to Siena. I have decided to split day one into two stages, overnighting in Camaiore before going on to Lucca as a 26km on day 1 might be pushing it. I have a mild case of shin splits from walking the CF in 2018.
At the risk of telling you something you already know, you could try to split the first two days into three days and stay in Valpromaro between Camaiore and Lucca. I asked about good communal dinners on the VF Facebook page and Valpromaro was highly recommended. I’m going to go straight from the Pisa airport to Camaiore and walk to Valpromaro on just whatever rest I get on the flight. That way I try to earn the right to dine as a proper pilgrim in Valpromaro. Next day will be an easy walk to Lucca, I’ll feel more incorporated in the VF, and I’ll have almost all day to enjoy Lucca. So maybe you could stop in Pietrasanta first night and Valpromaro second night?

Sounds good, and then I don't need an extra day in Lucca. Do you have a good online resource to work out the distances between towns? I am using the viafrancigene.org site and Sloways but it doesn't help with distances between the main stages. Also I love communal meals, a good way to meet people when you are walking alone.

For the most direct route try Google maps or for the more "official " route us the Via Francigena app.

Thanks but from what I have found the Via Francigena app only provides distances between stages and Google maps not what I am looking for but is indicative I suppose.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This has not been updated since 2019 but the distances should be accurate. I asked on the thread if anyone knows of an updated list but no answer yet.

Thank you it would be great if it was kept up to date, I think Gronze.com is a good supplement. Have your tried to calculate distances using it? I have tried both Massa to Camaoire and Camaiore to Lucca and it doesn't align with the Via Francigena app.

Thank you it would be great if it was kept up to date, I think Gronze.com is a good supplement. Have your tried to calculate distances using it? I have tried both Massa to Camaoire and Camaiore to Lucca and it doesn't align with the Via Francigena app.
I have not checked it for accuracy, just using it as a starting point.

Sounds good, and then I don't need an extra day in Lucca. Do you have a good online resource to work out the distances between towns? I am using the viafrancigene.org site and Sloways but it doesn't help with distances between the main stages. Also I love communal meals, a good way to meet people when you are walking alone.
I haven't found any good resources for distances between all towns so that you can calculate accurate distances between stages. Instead - I am using the alltrails app and customizing my VF maps and adding the towns that I hope to stay in. My new routes are from accommodation to accommodation (or town to town where I don't already have accommodation but I hope to stay)- so I have been able to figure out my distances that way. It is time consuming - but this way I have more accurate distances for each day AND directions to my accommodations. I basically downloaded and uploaded a bunch of gpx maps for the VF and created 6 maps - with approximately one week of hiking routes per map to be downloaded

For example -my map 1 is Canterbury to Bapaume and contains the routes for Canterbury to Calais, Calais to Licques, Licques to Wisques, Wisques to Auchy-au-Bois, Auchy-au-Bois to Maisnil-les-Ruitz, Maisnil-les-Ruitz to Arras, and Arras to Bapaume. Each of those separate routes starts and ends at the nights accommodations - so I have the exact route that I plan to follow with fairly accurate distances.

I did it this way so I have 6 manageable downloads (Canterbury to Aosta) - instead of downloads for each day's route (which would be something like 45 downloaded maps).

You can use other apps and websites to do the same thing - but I had been using google maps then realized I couldn't download them onto my iPhone for offline use. I like alltrails because they had maps for the VF that were broken up into stages and I used them as starting points for creating my customized apps.

You can use other apps and websites to do the same thing - but I had been using google maps then realized I couldn't download them onto my iPhone for offline use. I like alltrails because they had maps for the VF that were broken up into stages and I used them as starting points for creating my customized apps.
You can with google, but it's short term & a bit of a pain. It will save the last place you looked in the cache & it's available off line. In the morning, when you have wireless, just open the map. It's been useful for me in finding albergues in the bigger towns ... when I remember to mark it in the morning. But for the VF I'll be relying on All Trails also.

You can with google, but it's short term & a bit of a pain. It will save the last place you looked in the cache & it's available off line. In the morning, when you have wireless, just open the map. It's been useful for me in finding albergues in the bigger towns ... when I remember to mark it in the morning. But for the VF I'll be relying on All Trails also.
Yeah - the offline was too tricky so just switched. Map is already customized - only need to edit more if I make changes to my itinerary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

There are social media posts from folks without reservations in towns & who could only find 100 euro and up hotels.

Part of the reason for booking ahead on the French portion of the VF is the hosts don’t arrive home until late afternoon and may not be planning on having visitors some evenings. Reading the guest books at some gîtes/chambré d’hôtes, there were multi day blanks between pilgrims. One lady host told me to let myself in and get a beer or wine out of the refrigerator and hang out on their back patio until they got home from a shopping trip. Good thing I had called ahead the day before! It was 10 miles to the next village.

Hi all. we are planning on walking out of Milan (well actually Abbiategrasso) in late August. Will head to Rome and then the way of St. Francis in reverse from Rome to Assisi. I am finding the Komoot app pretty helpful so far in planning route. I am booking (those places with free cancellations) August/early September accommodations since it is holiday season. Also am finding this website helpful and the monasteries have all been responding quickly...some were already full or closed on our dates :) https://ospitalitareligiosa.it/en/
there is a filter for Pellegrini and sometimes if I select that filter you will see accommodations that did not come up on the regular search. Buon Camino!

€60,-
What a great thread! I am seriously considering the VF for this year. Last year I did the GR56 from Le Puy, crossed the Pyrenees and followed the Frances to Pamplona, got a bus to Bilbao and joined the Norte onto the Primitivo then to Finesterra. I quite like an adventure! The main concern for me is accomodation in France. I dont speak French and on the GR65 this wasnt an issue as I had a guidebook that listed the email addresses of accommodation and I would just email a few days ahead using google translate. Is this also possible on the VF?

The main concern for me is accomodation in France. I dont speak French and on the GR65 this wasnt an issue as I had a guidebook that listed the email addresses of accommodation and I would just email a few days ahead using google translate. Is this also possible on the VF?
For France - I used a combination of booking .com, airbnb, direct websites for the accommodations, and email in which both parties can have translated as needed. There are a couple accommodation lists available for download or purchase. I have successfully booked all accommodations without picking up the phone. That said - you might be fortunate enough to find a local willing to call too if needed. I did not need to - but have done this in the past in Spain.

late March – balabubububu, Lucca or Fidenza
late May / early April – Steven B, Canterbury
April – jruberto Lucca
mid to late April – grayland, Canterbury
April 17/20 – SusanSmyth, Canterbury
April 25 – Bearsmom, Aosta
April 30, Bob from LA, Canterbury
Late April – Sunic68, Aosta
May – Peligro, Lucca
May 2 - Aysen Mustafa, Massa
May 14 – Kanga, Fidenza
May 18 – Michael C, Lucca
May 28 – jeanineonthecamino, Canterbury
May 30 – muddy-mama, Siena
June 10 – Dodger, Aosta
June – Rex, Martigny
August – texastreker, Lausanne
August – Tandem Graham, London
September – Levi, Aosta
October – J Patrick, Lucca
Unlike theCF, which we have walked parts of…or the full route on 11 occasions, we are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucco Rome, only once! My sister will be 83 when we venture out from Lucca early in October (4th) and I will likely use transport services on several occasions to break up a few sections as we don’t want to underestimate tuscan hills. . In addition we will book a transport of one bag for the two of us. Current rate is €20 euros per bag per section. Some sections if you stop in between an additional €20 is charged. This price is a recent quote from the contractor!

I have booked private accommodations through booking.com including a number of apartments where we can eat colazione and la cena ( if we have enough energy left to cook) which will somewhat reduce the cost private Lodgings.

We plan 2 days in Lucca (day 2 free walkingTour); and 2 days in Unesco protected San Gimignano, with a second day Tour of City with a Local guide (group tour) including the Duomo. We also plan 2 days in Siena because we want to walk in the footsteps of St. Catherine of Siena and hope to visit The Basilica Cateriniana Di S. Domenico, Santuario di Santa Caterina, Fontebranda, and Battistero di San Giovanni. In addition we will spend two nights in Sutri ( we know folks there), before arriving in Rome.

Shout out to @Camino Chrissy for her posts in the Fal of ‘22 that inspired us to walk this route!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Shout out to @Camino Chrissy for her posts in the Fal of ‘22 that inspired us to walk this route!
I'm glad my posts and ramblings have encouraged you, and were helpful to plan the Via F.!...You will love it and I will look forward to following your journey if you post publicly.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back