• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

21 days equipment checkout

BeWillDeR

Clothes:
2 Addidas dri fit tank
1 long sleeve quick dry shirt
1 short sleeve reebok compression shirt
2 quick drying shorts
1 pair of convertible pants/shorts
2 hiking socks
1 pair of Vasque hiking boots
1 supplex bucket hat
1 double dry champion jacket
1 checkered going out button up
3 compression adidas underwear
1vneck t shirt
1 converse black chucks
1 pair of black pants for church
1 pair of socks
1 money belt
1 helly hanson rain jacket
1 pair of teva hiking sandals
1 black trucker hat

Backpacking gear:

Osprey Stratos 36 w/ raincover attached
1 compression sleeping bag
1 inflatable sleeping pad
1 mesh bag for dirty clothes
4 ditty bags for numerous things
Hiking sticks and caps
1 head lamp
1 small swiss army knife with wine opener
1 1liter water bottle
1 set of blister repair
1 sun screen
1 key light/knife/bottle opener
1 winter face mask
1 pair of sports gloves
1 pair of chop sticks
1 ace bandage
1 Cell phone charger
2 cellphone charger cords
2 pairs of sunglasses
1 beanie
1 pocket diary
1 pen
1 pencil
1 backpack rain cover
1 inflatable pillow
1 tooth brush
1 tooth paste
2 pair of ear plugs
Toilet paper
Bar of soap ( for washing clothes and hygene)
1 charger converter
3 zip lock bags for documents etc.
1 quick drying rei towel
1 blister kit
Clothes drying clips
Camera w/ charger
Small Sack pack for groceries etc.
Rubber sink stopper
Thread and needle
Passport
Smart phone
Mp3 player with charge cord

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Remember to line your rucksack with a bin liner / gash bag as the contents will get wet even with the cover and the liner will keep everything dry if it rains.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Moist wipes better than toilet paper. You can use them to wash your face and hands when necessary out in the country. You can get travel packs at like CVS.

BTW - that is a great backpack... perfect size in my opinion. I have one too.

And more power to you for carrying some of the stuff but I do have questions...Are you really carrying two sleeping bags? Are you going in 21 days from now - cause just a liner or a summer bag would probably be enough. And unless you are camping you won't need the sleeping pad. Winter face mask not necessary IMO. Maybe not even gloves.

I personally don't think you need a rubber stopper, i've never had or needed one. . and you'd be the first person I've seen with chucks but that's cool.

I am the last person to be the weight police but seriously why lug stuff across a country if you don't need to.. Just my opinion... take it for what its worth.

Mistake I put sleeping bag twice. So I have a mummy sleeping bag liner is that better?? I guess. I was debating on bringing wet wipes. Good point.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Will, good list! my response ...
I don't know what a 'tank' is (apart from the military type) but if they are designer t shirts then with the compression shirt (whatever that is) and the t shirt you are taking four - oopps, plus the v neck, five - two is plenty.
In essence you are taking three pairs of shorts - why? One pair of shorts and one pair of zip-offs is fine.
You seem to be taking two coats? a double dry champion thing and a raincoat - raincoats keep the wind out so why two coats? You might do better with a light sweater in case of cold plus the raincoat on top - though layering t shirts and shirt works well.
Same with the hats - you are taking two? Two hats one head?
The formal wear, for going out and for church - a civilised thing to do, of course, but it is the Camino so locals expect pilgrims to be dressed as pilgrims, you don't really need evening wear.
I don't know what converse black chucks are
I like the hiking sandals idea - you could wear them in the evenings and in the shower, or if your feet hurt. Mind you, if they are proper trekking sandals you could even leave the boots behind!
You won't need the sleeping pad as refugios have mattresses.
You already have the Swiss Army knife so you most likely won't need the other knife, two knives? Even if it does have a torch, as you have a head torch too.
Winter face mask? Are you going in winter? I thought you were going in August!
What are 'sports gloves'? Why do you want to take gloves? If it does get cold in August you can use a pair of socks - works really well.
Two? pairs of sunglasses? One for day and one for night?
A Beanie? Ah! I see you have snuck another hat in there - so, three hats?
The inflatable pillow is a choice of course - pretty good on aircraft I'm told - but there are pillows in the refugios so it is unlikely you will use one.

I agree with you re the toilet paper - the lightest necessity (keep in in a plastic bag to keep it dry), and also the sink plug - so many times you will find sinks without plugs .. and they can be used in the shower too to give your feet a good soak.

It is a good list, I agree with the safety pins comment - locking, nappy pins (diaper pins), come in very handy and you can pin drying clothes to your backpack with them. Also, personal choice for me here, take a good linen napkin. A delight when spreading out your lunch on your knees and can also be soaked at fountains so you can wash and cool your face and neck and so on.
Other things I would mention is that one litre water bottle won't be enough if you are walking in August, though you can buy a one litre plastic bottle of water and re-use that. Couple of other possibilities to add, personal ones to me really - rather than just a blister kit take a small first aid kit, including headache pills, plasters, diarrhea tablets, and so on. You might be ok, true, but you never know and it is pleasant to be able to help others. And, I carry a small tube of super-glue. Fantastic for fabric/footwear repairs.

Ah! I have just Googled 'black chucks' - so, you are taking three pairs of footwear with you? THREE pairs? Is that so you can match with your three hats? :):):)

Will - I think your list is great and I am doing humour here - you take what makes you feel good and happy .. though when you get to Roncesvalles you will find, down on the bathroom level, shelves filled, absolutely filled, with discarded items. Take just what you need Will, not what you think you will need, and you don't need back ups!

Buen Camino!!!

Funny response :) I will leave the v neck shirt. The tanks are sleeve less shirts, almost like under armor moisture wicking weighing barely anything I will still bring. Leaving the beanie, winter face mask, gloves, and rain coat, the formal wear I will leave including the Chucks (converse high tops). I was on the fence about leaving the sleeping pad at home maybe I will. I will pack a small key light instead of the light, knife, beer opener combo, just wanted to bring it because the light was small and wouldnt bother sleeping pilgrims at the refugios. I wanted to bring the sink stopper to wash my clothes do most refugios have laundry machines??? Linen napkin sounds like a good idea. So 1 litre of water wont be enough for the walk would it a good idea to bring a 2litre water bladder bag with tube for my backpack or combo 1ltre bag plus the water bottle combo?? Super glue sounds like a Great idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola

Good list.
What many forget is to write when they intend to walk, as it makes a considerable difference in regard with what is 'needed'.
Anyhow. :)

• Shopping bag (nylon or synthetic compressible) can be used for shopping.. sit on when wet, collect stuff and bring it into the shower, etc.
• Stone for Iron Cross - burden to leave behind..
• Small plastic container to store food i back pack such as cheese, sausage, fruit.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I try to use gear that multi tasks. Zip off pants/shorts and long sleeve shirts for hot/cold weather. Bag liner, use as a warm weather bag or cold weather bag liner, or a blanket. I carry a quilted space blanket use as back padding in pack, emergency shelter, emergency blanket, ground cloth, or poncho. Safety pins, get the brass ones, use to make emergency repairs to gear and cloths hang cloths to outside of pack, use as cloths pins. I have 20 feet of para cord bradded into a zipper pull, many uses. Dental floss, floss teeth, make repairs to gear and cloths, even shoes. Be sure to carry a needle big enough to take the floss. Fleece, light water proof jacket, zip up poncho. Add layers when cold. Poncho can double as a blanket or ground cloth. All my cloths are quick drying synthetics. Consider a wet bag to line your pack with. Yes more expensive than a trash bag but Is puncher proof and lasts forever and has multiple uses. I also use a Zpack bag that attaches to the front of my pack ( I put possibles in it) and can be used as a waist or shoulder bag.

Clothes:
2 Addidas dri fit tank
2 quick drying shorts
2 hiking socks
1 supplex bucket hat
1vneck t shirt
1 converse black chucks
1 pair of socks
1 money belt
1 black trucker hat

Backpacking gear:

Hiking sticks and caps
1 head lamp
1 1liter water bottle
1 set of blister repair
1 sun screen
1 winter face mask
1 pair of sports gloves
1 pair of chop sticks
1 ace bandage
1 Cell phone charger
2 pairs of sunglasses
1 beanie
1 pocket diary
1 pen
1 pencil
1 backpack rain cover
1 inflatable pillow
1 tooth brush
1 tooth paste
2 pair of ear plugs
Toilet paper
1 charger converter
1 quick drying rei towel
1 blister kit
Clothes drying clips
Camera w/ charger
Rubber sink stopper
Thread and needle
Passport
Smart phone
Two suggestions:

1- eyeglasses repair kit (small and handy for your sunglasses)
2 - consider using the smart phone flashlight app instead of a head lamp.

¡Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Will,
That seems like a lot but you know your path, I don't.
I would go with 2 conv pants and no shorts. 3 hiking socks. Large and small band aids .Neosporin. Aspirin or alleve. Sleeping bag liner, not a sleeping bag unless you're planning on being outside. There are blankets in albuergues. A rain poncho with hood that covers you and the backpack together. Rei sells one and it is expensive or you can buy the $5 plastic one but you'll need 2 because it rips over time. You can get these in Spain. What is a compression shirt?
Hope you will consider my suggestions!;-)
Clothes:
2 Addidas dri fit tank
2 quick drying shorts
2 hiking socks
1 supplex bucket hat
1vneck t shirt
1 converse black chucks
1 pair of socks
1 money belt
1 black trucker hat

Backpacking gear:

Hiking sticks and caps
1 head lamp
1 1liter water bottle
1 set of blister repair
1 sun screen
1 winter face mask
1 pair of sports gloves
1 pair of chop sticks
1 ace bandage
1 Cell phone charger
2 pairs of sunglasses
1 beanie
1 pocket diary
1 pen
1 pencil
1 backpack rain cover
1 inflatable pillow
1 tooth brush
1 tooth paste
2 pair of ear plugs
Toilet paper
1 charger converter
1 quick drying rei towel
1 blister kit
Clothes drying clips
Camera w/ charger
Rubber sink stopper
Thread and needle
Passport
Smart phone

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wet wipes don't rot down. Just take a packet of tissues. You can fold them for blister padding too. Not very often will you not find toilets without tissue.

Not very often will you not find toilets without tissue.

Gosh Lynda, not to be argumentative, but I USUALLY found toilets without tissue. My experience was in September/October of last year.

Great job getting all that in the pack BeWillDeR. My only caution to you is to take as little as possible, not only because of the weight, but because of the freedom of having little to keep track of. When you start each morning with no responsibilities except to put one foot in front of the other and walk (or not), it is such a glorious feeling that you will not want to be burdened with the "clutter" of unnecessary items.

Clothes:
2 Addidas dri fit tank
2 quick drying shorts
2 hiking socks
1 supplex bucket hat
1vneck t shirt
1 converse black chucks
1 pair of socks
1 money belt
1 black trucker hat

Backpacking gear:

Hiking sticks and caps
1 head lamp
1 1liter water bottle
1 set of blister repair
1 sun screen
1 winter face mask
1 pair of sports gloves
1 pair of chop sticks
1 ace bandage
1 Cell phone charger
2 pairs of sunglasses
1 beanie
1 pocket diary
1 pen
1 pencil
1 backpack rain cover
1 inflatable pillow
1 tooth brush
1 tooth paste
2 pair of ear plugs
Toilet paper
1 charger converter
1 quick drying rei towel
1 blister kit
Clothes drying clips
Camera w/ charger
Rubber sink stopper
Thread and needle
Passport
Smart phone
This all fits in a 36 liters pack ? All what you do not take with you is an advantage !

This all fits in a 36 liters pack ? All what you do not take with you is an advantage !
Black pants for the church ? We saw people in all kind of shorts, convertables,all kind of colours in the church. So I should say. Use what is in your backpack.
We were walking 5 weeks from Lisbon to Santiago,carrying a 50 liters Osprey Atmos pack ,weighing in total 7 kilos last year. All thing we needed The same packs we used this year only 8 days at the camiño Ingles . Again 7 kilos. If something fails ,on your route there are millions of shops where you can buy stuff if needed.

The comments are really helping. I lightened my pack. I'm now not taking a sleeping pad, Face mask, gloves, chucks, vneck shirt, sleeping bag ( still not sure).
Im getting first aid along with some super glue.
The cellphone light is a great idea tho my phones led light is super bright.
Definately bringing toilet paper
And a small travel sized wet wipes.
I have a plastic rain poncho and I will probably get another on the camino.
Thank you all you have been very helpful in my planning

Almost forgot : essential long sleeve thin wool sweater. Good for early a.m, church, evening cool and to sleep in. If you hang it out to air, don't need to think about washing.
Where are you from?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you have a scale that you can weight each item on? I highly recommend it. You can buy a digital kitchen scale and set it to either ounces or grams. Whatever you bring, it would be a good idea to keep the weight under 10 kgs for everything you carry on your back. The lighter the better without sacrificing comfort.

Check out the website lighterpack to see how you can organize your gear and also see how one of the members of the forum did it:

http://lighterpack.com/r/ctw09s

You really have to be ruthless in keeping the weight down (all things considered) and ask yourself if you really need a telephone and if you really need an mp3 player, etc. Also, you have 4 shirts (two tank tops and two T shirts) -- could you make do with only half that? Do you really need to wear black trousers in church? What about insulation for your top? I don't see any warmth. Expect to be cold in the early mornings and at night with altitudes over 1,000 meters and sometimes 1,250 meters.

Osprey packs are fabulous and I've walked a lot with them in Corsica and in Spain. Very good choice.

Do you have a scale that you can weight each item on? I highly recommend it. You can buy a digital kitchen scale and set it to either ounces or grams. Whatever you bring, it would be a good idea to keep the weight under 10 kgs for everything you carry on your back. The lighter the better without sacrificing comfort.

Check out the website lighterpack to see how you can organize your gear and also see how one of the members of the forum did it:

http://lighterpack.com/r/ctw09s

You really have to be ruthless in keeping the weight down (all things considered) and ask yourself if you really need a telephone and if you really need an mp3 player, etc. Also, you have 4 shirts (two tank tops and two T shirts) -- could you make do with only half that? Do you really need to wear black trousers in church? What about insulation for your top? I don't see any warmth. Expect to be cold in the early mornings and at night with altitudes over 1,000 meters and sometimes 1,250 meters.

Osprey packs are fabulous and I've walked a lot with them in Corsica and in Spain. Very good choice.

Good point I will knock out some of the weight. These comments are real helpful. Im real excited its coming close to my trip date. And I hope to get the equipment down to a manageable weight when I packed it with what I had before it felt fine and didnt make my back or legs sore walking. But then again taking out what I really dont need will help considerably.

Question though. Should I bring a sleeping bag or a sleeping bag fleece instead???

Y
Good point I will knock out some of the weight. These comments are real helpful. Im real excited its coming close to my trip date. And I hope to get the equipment down to a manageable weight when I packed it with what I had before it felt fine and didnt make my back or legs sore walking. But then again taking out what I really dont need will help considerably.

Question though. Should I bring a sleeping bag or a sleeping bag fleece instead???
You are going when it is warm. Spain has been in the mid 80s and 90s Fahrenheit . Sleeping liner is plenty plus the albuergues have blankets. Your wool sweater will do wonders.

Many threads are devoted to this very question and the answers are as diverse and varied as the very people writing them. First, what is the weight difference between your sleeping bag and your "sleeping bag fleece"? Second, do you plan only to stay in refuges and, if a refuge is full, would you stay in a hotel (if one is available) or would you sleep on the floor?

I've walked the Camino with only a sleeping bag liner made of a warm, synthetic fleece and for me it wasn't enough. I was sometimes sleeping on the floor of refuges and monasteries when no other accommodation was available. Today I wouldn't do it without bringing my 750 gram Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag. That way I'm guaranteed a warm-night's sleep. Other people wouldn't bother, relying on the blankets (if necessary) of the refuges.

One more thing: remember that this walk is 500 miles long and is often well above sea level. You'll spend two weeks walking above 2,600 feet and it can get chilly at night and in the early morning hours. Some areas are over (well over) 3,000 feet. It may be hot, it may be cold, it may rain for days or it may be sunny. You never know.

I have uploaded a PDF file that clearly shows the elevation of each stage of the Camino. Have a close look at it and see what I mean. :)

There are many threads on the forum which treat this subject, just do a search for "sleeping bag" and you'll see.

Wishing you a very good trip!

Attachments

• St Jean to Santiago profil_d_etapes_voir.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.