• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 22 Apr 15 -- Rain All Day -- Miracle - After 15 Years, Woke Up With Bed Hair!

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
22 April 2015 - Morgade to Palas del Rei -- 35.8 Kms

Today was unbelievable -- I woke up with bed hair and didn't even know it until I looked into the mirror -- it was like -- wow -- been a long time since I had bed hair - and for the folks that know me they will understand this complete amazement and shock --

So after a large coffee and talking to two of the German ladies from last's night dinner - got packed up and and started today's adventure -- feet good (thanks to tape) -- knees good (thanks to chemistry) -- Rain, so had to button down the hatches -- moved out and was enjoying the hike -- good pace -- and then I got to thinking-

The one thing folks have not talked about are the variety of smells you encounter on the El Camino -- I mean everyone talks about the food -- but nothing on the smells -- it is -- well -- stimulating -- you go from fresh mountain forest, to smoke filled villages, baking breads, to well -- lots of cow, horse, and sheep smells -- some more vivid than others -- so I am thinking that maybe when Brierley updates his next version of his El Camino Book -- he ought to think about a Scratch and Sniff section so folks are prepared -- me having grown up mainly in Nebraska -- home sweet home -- if you are from the city -- you will probably not appreciate the freshness of the variety of smells you will encounter -- and they are very fresh in some cases : ).

Today was punishing -- wet and sweaty all day long - ought not to complain, since it was the first time in 25 days that I had to wear the rain jacket all day -- but towards the end of the long day, was walking like Cowboy Bob -- yep -- bow legged old guy - but with a really cool beard --

Finally got to my goal of the day -- on track, in fact ahead of schedule to meet my wife in Santiago on Saturday -- 68 more KMs and three days -- piece of cake -- hard to believe I have walked over 700 kms -- will be strange to actually ride in a car when this is all over --

Once passing Sarria - things seem to be more commercialized -- lots of folks doing their Camino, but not in the purist sense -- not meaning to be a Camino Snob and fully understanding folks have different physical conditions, etc. The fact they are out here is cool -- but guess I just embrace the suck too much -- to me it is part of the physical, emotional, and spiritual experience of Walking the El Camino, from wherever you start -- so I hope folks do not take this wrong -- just an observation and a comment -- other than that, happy folks are out here to experience the pilgrimage in whatever way they determine to do it -- ME -- Embrace the Suck -- Army Thing : ).

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I so wanted to share those smells. I posted videos of running water, cow/sheep bells, and church bells in order to share my audio and visual experience and just wonder how long we have to wait for someone to come up with the technology to capture olfactory "delights".

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ahh yes the memories!! Remember a few weeks back when the trail went by the water treatment facility!! Oh that was a treat early in the morning. Damn Buff over my nose did nothing to help with the smell. The laughter sure did though!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Today was unbelievable -- I woke up with bed hair and didn't even know it until I looked into the mirror -- it was like -- wow -- been a long time since I had bed hair - and for the folks that know me they will understand this complete amazement and shock --

So after a large coffee and talking to two of the German ladies from last's night dinner - got packed up and and started today's adventure -- feet good (thanks to tape) -- knees good (thanks to chemistry) -- Rain, so had to button down the hatches -- moved out and was enjoying the hike -- good pace -- and then I got to thinking-

The one thing folks have not talked about are the variety of smells you encounter on the El Camino -- I mean everyone talks about the food -- but nothing on the smells -- it is -- well -- stimulating -- you go from fresh mountain forest, to smoke filled villages, baking breads, to well -- lots of cow, horse, and sheep smells -- some more vivid than others -- so I am thinking that maybe when Brierley updates his next version of his El Camino Book -- he ought to think about a Scratch and Sniff section so folks are prepared -- me having grown up mainly in Nebraska -- home sweet home -- if you are from the city -- you will probably not appreciate the freshness of the variety of smells you will encounter -- and they are very fresh in some cases : ).
Wow! you are

Today was punishing -- wet and sweaty all day long - ought not to complain, since it was the first time in 25 days that I had to wear the rain jacket all day -- but towards the end of the long day, was walking like Cowboy Bob -- yep -- bow legged old guy - but with a really cool beard --

Finally got to my goal of the day -- on track, in fact ahead of schedule to meet my wife in Santiago on Saturday -- 68 more KMs and three days -- piece of cake -- hard to believe I have walked over 700 kms -- will be strange to actually ride in a car when this is all over --

Once passing Sarria - things seem to be more commercialized -- lots of folks doing their Camino, but not in the purist sense -- not meaning to be a Camino Snob and fully understanding folks have different physical conditions, etc. The fact they are out here is cool -- but guess I just embrace the suck too much -- to me it is part of the physical, emotional, and spiritual experience of Walking the El Camino, from wherever you start -- so I hope folks do not take this wrong -- just an observation and a comment -- other than that, happy folks are out here to experience the pilgrimage in whatever way they determine to do it -- ME -- Embrace the Suck -- Army Thing : ).

Buen Camino!

Buen Camino!
Wow! you are going so fast! continue enjoying your walk, while we continue enjoying your writing.Buen Camino:)

Oh! Thank you for sharing these posts! I am filled with joy and nostalgia!

I finished my first Camino in September, also having completed the Camino Frances.

I remember sitting in a cafe in Sarria around 10 am (I had woken up pre-dawn to get into town early that day) completely exhausted- staring at a HUGE blister on my inner left ankle, and this group of 'pilgrims' on horses rode by.
I thought I was going crazy- minor hysteria ensued after having WALKED over 700k

(No judgement, just a different journey. I didn't even know you could do the Camino via horse until Sarria- at which point I kind of felt like a schmuck. All things being said though, I wouldn't change a single thing about my journey)

Sarria is always a culture shock. I chose to drive back to Madrid with some other pilgrims instead of taking the train, in order to catch my flight home out of MAD. We decided to take the back roads out of Santiago to mimic the walk in. We stopped off in Sarria for lunch. It was still weird. It's just a weird little town. I found myself longing for the isolated 'spiritual' journey again- Zabidalkeda and the likes...

Take deep breaths these last 100k, peregrino! Smile, give grace even where it seems undeserved, and try to stop the comic strip in your head from knocking bikers off their seats as they whizz by you down the hills. All of these final tries of patience are teaching you something- even if it is only to laugh out loud, and at yourself, often and much! :)

You may even one day sit where I am now, and smile in agreement with another forum participant talking about the last 100k. Buen Camino!

Oh! Thank you for sharing these posts! I am filled with joy and nostalgia!

I finished my first Camino in September, also having completed the Camino Frances.

I remember sitting in a cafe in Sarria around 10 am (I had woken up pre-dawn to get into town early that day) completely exhausted- staring at a HUGE blister on my inner left ankle, and this group of 'pilgrims' on horses rode by.
I thought I was going crazy- minor hysteria ensued after having WALKED over 700k

(No judgement, just a different journey. I didn't even know you could do the Camino via horse until Sarria- at which point I kind of felt like a schmuck. All things being said though, I wouldn't change a single thing about my journey)

Sarria is always a culture shock. I chose to drive back to Madrid with some other pilgrims instead of taking the train, in order to catch my flight home out of MAD. We decided to take the back roads out of Santiago to mimic the walk in. We stopped off in Sarria for lunch. It was still weird. It's just a weird little town. I found myself longing for the isolated 'spiritual' journey again- Zabidalkeda and the likes...

Take deep breaths these last 100k, peregrino! Smile, give grace even where it seems undeserved, and try to stop the comic strip in your head from knocking bikers off their seats as they whizz by you down the hills. All of these final tries of patience are teaching you something- even if it is only to laugh out loud, and at yourself, often and much! :)

You may even one day sit where I am now, and smile in agreement with another forum participant talking about the last 100k. Buen Camino!
Totally agree with you. Last year on my last day as I neared Santa Irene, after having walked all the way from SJPdP, a newly minted pilgrim asked me "Is that all you are carrying?" I had shipped my backpack ahead to SDC and was walking with a day pack with a very painful case of neuropathy in my right foot. You can only imagine the answer I muttered under my breath.
BTW, Zabaldika is wonderful place, it's too bad more people don't stop there and then skip Pamplona the next night.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Olfactory "delights"... well described. It's plentiful once a pilgrim enters the towns in Galicia. I don't know what it is though.. some sort of combination..a fermented smell I can't describe.

Buen Camino to you Grogan!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back