• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

22 Sleeps to go - But My Camino has started in earnest ....

You can always walk down on the verges of the N135 road to Zubiri. A good place to join the N135 is after the Alto de Erro where the camino crosses the road.
Good luck and Buen camino!

Great tip! I'll look for that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen camino Robo! Great news.
I may have missed it but I can't see any answer to your question much earlier about over the counter pain killers in Spain. Should you need some, they sell Ibuprofeno 600 in any farmacia.

Will now go and read your blog :)

Unfortunately I have to limit my intake of 'vitamin I' because of a stomach condition. My doctor was worried it would cause internal bleeding. Yuck....

So I take a hit of panadol and nurofen at breakfast and that's it. And pop another at bedtime. So far so good. Though the back is feeling it a bit.

I make sure to walk very upright and really use my poles hard..

mspath knows her stuff...a very good idea; wish I'd done that. But not liking roads and thinking it couldn't be that bad...
Well, 4 Black toenails and 2 angry ankles later, it set me up for the next day which was the most painful one of the whole journey.
And you need more injury like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick....
(Oh, and edit, after seeing domigee's post. Also try over the counter diclofenac gel. Topical...it's magic. Used it on my achilles every night; it's magic.)

I'll look out for it. In fact in my traveling pharmacy I have some voltaren gel. I'll walk some on now it's 4am here :)

I find I wake really early. But been uploading videos off an on through the night....

I'm in a private room don't worry. Did I say room.......you should see these 'apartments' at Roncesvalles!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Will now go and read your blog :)

Be warned........it's turning into something akin to the Lord of the rings trilogy !

I record my thoughts as an audio file as I'm walking. And I have a lot of thoughts......

Though today I did more video comments. About 10 × 1 min videos. But they take way too long to upload.

So I'll make sure I do a couple of audios each day too. (A quick email...and they get transcribed and posted for me)

A lovely American couple were laughing today at my 'short cut' blogging approach :)

Yolanda. I do a lot of training for distance running and for walking....listen to your body, stretch, make sure that you have the right shoes for you. Get good advice on the latter. Get a little bit of fitness, you will walk into fitness as the walk goes on. There is plenty of good advice on the forum on starting easy. In the meantime start walking and SLOWLY increase distance. Add hills (don't forget the downhill as well....some of us hate this more than going up)

Buen Camino
Hi Aussie Pete, I'm starting my walk on May 27, I have being walking 10 to 20 K daily for a month with one or two days of rest if too much pain. No hills, just the treadmill lift of 5-6% once a week.
My shoes are already warned down to the point of wondering if I should get a new pair. I do feel very tired, but continue doing my training.
Sure I rest more time? I really want to do my Camino, but I don't want to over train and be exhausted when I begging my walk!:) Thank you

Robo, Voltarin is the same thing...you've got it!
Enjoy the space while you have it...and may you have a good walk today.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Made it 12 km to viskarret OK. felt like doing more but the heels were complaining a bit.

Another short 'training' day to Zubiri tomorrow. Then I might try a 20k day to Pamplona...

so far so good. Though I am not carrying much weight. Maybe in another week I'll be able to carry a full load. But common sense might be.....to keep the pack weight low.

We'll see. Just taking each day as it comes and doing the Camino I'm able to do.

Sounds like you are doing it just right. As long as you allow yourself to be led by your common sense and avoid the temptation to go beyond that, we can continue to enjoy your delightful updates.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Made it to Zubiri. Steady rain all day but a very pleasant walk.

Tried the 'alternate' route on the final stage. Down the n135.

Without wishing to be critical of the advice given by an outstandingly helpful and experienced forum member.......could I please advise not to try it.....

Perhaps the road has changed in recent years. Maybe some of the verges have been reclaimed for traffic use.

But there were many stages where I could easily have become 'road kill'. In fact I almost hailed a passing taxi to get me off the road....

But that route certainly helped my ailing heels :)

Robo,

Glad that you made it safely down but sorry to learn of the traffic problems. I have walked on the left side verges of the N135 many times including a busy Sunday last October without any problem. What was going on during your descent? Was it road rage or some type of race? Thanks for your update. Perhaps I should conclude any future suggestions with the statement " what worked for me may not work for you".

Do continue to take care and, as always, buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe I'm just a bit of a chicken when it comes to sharing the road with fast cars :oops:

Zubiri! Wonderful, Robo. The cars may have been a challenge, but that hill...and in the rain...given your achilles, you definitely made the right choice. And tomorrow will be flatter.
If you don't want to go all the way to Pamplona, consider staying in Zabaldika--a very special albergue run by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. It's lovely and peaceful.

I'm loving the whole Camino experience so far. Still very much at stage 1. Dealing with the physical. But feeling stronger and more capable each day.

I've already booked in Pamplona. Not sure I am quite ready to try the Albergue experience just yet :)

Though I was just reading about that very Albergue..... sounds great.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, they're wonderful, Robo. The physical challenges are minor in comparison to what one gets back by way of connection and fellowship...and the spirit of the Camino truly lives in albergues.

Made it to Zubiri. Steady rain all day but a very pleasant walk.

Tried the 'alternate' route on the final stage. Down the n135.

Without wishing to be critical of the advice given by an outstandingly helpful and experienced forum member.......could I please advise not to try it.....

Perhaps the road has changed in recent years. Maybe some of the verges have been reclaimed for traffic use.

But there were many stages where I could easily have become 'road kill'. In fact I almost hailed a passing taxi to get me off the road....

But that route certainly helped my ailing heels :)

Thanks for the great advice we'll be there next weekend and we'll avoid the 'alternate' route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm loving the whole Camino experience so far. Still very much at stage 1. Dealing with the physical. But feeling stronger and more capable each day.

I've already booked in Pamplona. Not sure I am quite ready to try the Albergue experience just yet :)

Though I was just reading about that very Albergue..... sounds great.

We've been thinking about breaking up the journey to Pamplona by stopping Bizkarreta and Larrasoaña instead of Zubiri. Since you are walking through them in realtime -- any thoughts?

Thanks

We've been thinking about breaking up the journey to Pamplona by stopping Bizkarreta and Larrasoaña instead of Zubiri. Since you are walking through them in realtime -- any thoughts?

Thanks
I'm in Zubiri now. I quite like it. Lots of pilgrims to hang out and chat with.
Bizkarreta was a 'ghost' village. Didn't like it...
All personal choice really...

Started on Apr 17 from SJdeP, got to Belarado on the 26th, checked in with the medico, a bite/sting to my leg two days previous left me with a swollen calf muscle and an infection that put a stop to my Camino, now at home on a course of two different antibiotics and anti inflammatory tablets and keeping my leg elevated, not a great way to end my first Camino, still it was a great adventure I met some lovely people from all over the world, and hope to return next year. Beun Camino to everyone . ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So sorry to hear about the bite @kevhan84. We just don't know when we might be laid low. You were really stepping out before you had to quit.

It's 5.30 am. Don't know why. But I still wake early. Around 4am. Must be the time zone difference. So I lay in bed doing my blog.

I'm creeping quietly around the pension on tip toe. Getting my dry clothes from the laundry. Doing a few stretches. Now sitting in the lounge area over looking the street.;)

I 'll pack in a little while. No rush. The cafe on the corner doesn't open for breakfast till 6.30

Opposite is an albergue. I can see the 'bag rustlers' up and about packing their stuff down in the lobby and another outside having his first 'fix' of the day.

How would I cope in an albergue? Waking at 4am and lying there unable to move for fear of waking others....:oops:

The bag rustlers are out in the street chatting now...rather loudly....

Some people really have no respect for others do they ?

I can't wait to get breakfast done and be on my way. I just love the feeling and freedom of walking in the fresh air.

When I stop for the day and in the early mornings like this, I feel like a caged animal. .... I just want to be moving....

though as I rolled into Zubiri last night, I seem to recall that my feet / heels were quite ready to stop...;)

Looking forward to trying my first 'real' day of walking. A 'proper' distance. Zubiri to pamplona.

So Far I Have Been Walking Without Stopping. I walk slowly anyway so as not to over strain my Achilles. And I prefer to keep them warmed up and moving. I eat and drink on the move.

That's ok for 12-14 km. But today I'll make sure I take a proper break at lunch and ice my tendons for a while.

5.55. Time to start getting ready :)

See you in Pamplona!

€83,-
Most of my 'wave' of pilgrims seem to be taking a rest day tomorrow.

I can't stop walking... :)

Heading to Uterga Tomorrow. I'll take it slow.... If the weather is good I'll sit awhile on alto De perdon. ..

Glad that all is going well for you Robo. Do take it EASY on the descent from the Alto de Perdon. The scree and small rocks on the first k down make it VERY tricky.

MM

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ok. I
Glad that all is going well for you Robo. Do take it EASY on the descent from the Alto de Perdon. The scree and small rocks on the first k down make it VERY tricky.

MM

Ok. Thanks for the tip
I made it a shortish day in case the going is tough :)

Robo, I think you are walking in the same wave as friends of mine from Washington, DC. Don and Louise and their friend from Colorado, Martha. They left Pamplona on Saturday and planned to stay in Puente la Reina on Sunday night at Albergue/Hotel Jakue. If you see them say "G'day" from Don.
I am reasonably sure I passed you while you were road walking on Friday just below Puerto de Erro around 11am, if I had know it was you I would have stopped and given you a lift except you looked like you were awfully wet.

Second the reply from MM...That descent from the Alto is horrible.
Hope you make it easily and happily and that the weather gods smile on you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Robo, I think you are walking in the same wave as friends of mine from Washington, DC. Don and Louise and their friend from Colorado, Martha. They left Pamplona on Saturday and planned to stay in Puente la Reina on Sunday night at Albergue/Hotel Jakue. If you see them say "G'day" from Don.
I am reasonably sure I passed you while you were road walking on Friday just below Puerto de Erro around 11am, if I had know it was you I would have stopped and given you a lift except you looked like you were awfully wet.

hi Don.

yes that was probably me!

I'll look out for your friends. I'm staying 7kms short of them tonight...

Second the reply from MM...That descent from the Alto is horrible.
Hope you make it easily and happily and that the weather gods smile on you!

It was actually quite easy. The stones gave enough 'texture' so as not to slip. Much better than some of the paved sections.

Though the weather was good. A different story I'm sure if raining.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm in Zubiri now. I quite like it. Lots of pilgrims to hang out and chat with.
Bizkarreta was a 'ghost' village. Didn't like it...
All personal choice really...
I remember from your earlier posts that you were planning on staying in pensións and other similar accommodations. Is that still your plan? And how well does it work out - do you need to make reservations in advance or just show up?

We're planning on pensións type accommodations and wondering about the logistics?

Also - it sounds like you still have the opportunity to experience the camaraderie of the Camino. Do I have this right?

Robo, how is the Achilees heel doing after getting the cortisone injection? My fascia started acting up last Monday and today it is really painful. I start the Primitivo on the 18th of May, so I am really considering getting the infiltration, even if my podiatrist says it may just further damage my fascia. Hang in there! Glad you are enjoying yourself.

I remember from your earlier posts that you were planning on staying in pensións and other similar accommodations. Is that still your plan? And how well does it work out - do you need to make reservations in advance or just show up?

We're planning on pensións type accommodations and wondering about the logistics?

Also - it sounds like you still have the opportunity to experience the camaraderie of the Camino. Do I have this right?

that is what I am doing....

I would advise booking one day ahead though. Just to make sure of a bed. And if you aim for the larger villages/towns you are sure to meet other pilgrims over dinner etc.

I stayed in a couple of really small villages and the post walk relaxation was a bit lonely.

I'm actually swaying more to the Brierley stages for that reason :eek:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Robo, how is the Achilees heel doing after getting the cortisone injection? My fascia started acting up last Monday and today it is really painful. I start the Primitivo on the 18th of May, so I am really considering getting the infiltration, even if my podiatrist says it may just further damage my fascia. Hang in there! Glad you are enjoying yourself.

hard to tell if the cortisone actually helped or not....... As I was 'doing drugs' and lots of physio at the same time.

I tend to think it made little difference..

Physio was the big help.

I do the physio stretches frequently through the day and pre and post walking. ..

Icing at my lunch break also helps a lot!

And anti inflammatories/painkillers for breakfast and dinner :)

BUT........"Always seek advice from your Health care Professional"

Last edited:
As an aside. ....

I put my nose in a couple of Albergues yesterday :eek:

As a result of stopping there for refreshment...

.(After note. The look of shock is related to me finding myself in an Albergue. ...not a reflection of the Albergue itself)

Who knows......rather like Pavlov's dogs ..... If my walking buddies on a given day are staying in an Albergue.... ;)

Last edited:
Some albergues,and albergue experiences, are better than others. So don't judge on the basis of one or 2 nights. I am not a highly sociable person and thought I would need frequent breaks from them. However, after a while, I felt lonely in the private accommodation and wanted to be "with my people" even though the family wasn't fixed every day.

€83,-
You're going great guns, Robo!
Plus great photos, videos and commentaries.
Brilliant and a reassurance for me for next year with my very dodgy back.

Hi, robo,
You are a wise pilgrim indeed, so happy that all is going so well for you. And I think your plan of the Brierley stages is a perfectly good one -- the other advantage of those stages is that you will wind up in the places that have more going on, more to see in terms of churches and other local landmarks, better restaurants, etc. Enjoying your blog, buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just made it to Estella. .... A mixed day physically. Emotionally and spiritually. Bit of everything. Video on the blog will tell all.....

All was going well till the last 3 km. I hit the wall. So took a break on a park bench. Boots and socks off. Feet in the air. Lots of water and a few more pain killers.

The last 3 km were very slow.

Then found my accommodation was the other side of town.. bummer. ...

But good accommodation and even getting my laundry done!

And......

Whilst putting my shirt in the laundry bag I found in the pocket.... my tablets I normally take at breakfast :(

No wonder today felt harder

I also need to make sure I use my poles harder. I eased off today and I'm feeling it.

I might do a video on pole use :rolleyes:

Most people seem to use them purely for balance like 'outriggers'.

I reckon when used well they take 5-10 kgs off my feet. And double that going uphill!

Great going, Robo, in spite of not having the pills.
Well, tomorrow after the wine fountain at Irache, you may not need much to keep you going happily. ;)
(And somewhere here there's a very good thread with a link to a video about how to use poles correctly...)

Well, tomorrow after the wine fountain at Irache, you may not need much to keep you going happily. ;)
(And somewhere here there's a very good thread with a link to a video about how to use poles correctly...)
Oh, and when in Irache, take a look at the "tourist information sign" and let us know if the translation into English seems correct to you. I keep thinking about what it was when I was there and cannot believe "such language" is posted about and so near to a religious instition ;0) . Lesson? NEVER use a computer to translate anything!

being a wine lover I'll steer clear on the fountain. I'll never get going again!

I won't bother with a community services video on poles then :)

I walked the other day with a pilgrim from the USA who is now developing really bad blisters. I fear it could end her Camino.

I haven't seen the blisters. We are some way apart and swapping emails.

I suggested seeing a doctor to get them properly treated. Even if it means skipping a day.

Any thoughts anyone? She is in estella currently. Los arcos next. A place to get treatment?

Oh, and when in Irache, take a look at the "tourist information sign" and let us know if the translation into English seems correct to you. I keep thinking about what it was when I was there and cannot believe "such language" is posted about and so near to a religious instition ;0) . Lesson? NEVER use a computer to translate anything!
I'll take a look ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't help it :(

I generally wake at 4.....

Imagine having me in an albergue :eek:

I'd love to sleep more....believe me!

Must just be my body clock screwed up... never happened before....

Gives me time to do my physio exercises;)

I've been so worried about my feet I neglected my back. Now it's hurting.

If it ain't one thing it's another :rolleyes:

Just doing my pelvic floor exercises. That's what they're like. I won't video it :)

I can browse the forum on my phone while doing the exercises. ..... that's ADHD for you ;)

I can't help it :( I generally wake at 4..... Imagine having me in an albergue :eek: I'd love to sleep more....believe me! Must just be my body clock screwed up... never happened before.... Gives me time to do my physio exercises;) I've been so worried about my feet I neglected my back. Now it's hurting. If it ain't one thing it's another :rolleyes: Just doing my pelvic floor exercises. That's what they're like. I won't video it :)
Oh dear, please do stay away from albergues if you need to do pilates at 4 am ;0) Seriously, take care of yourself and do what you need to do. After all, leaving the rice cooker back home is already a big step. But do consider staying in those "special ones", the ones that have spirit if not comfort, and follow them by a stay in a lovely pension with a great tub and mattress.

So enjoying your journey, Robo. And thrilled to read of your progress...it sounds like you're definitely getting stronger.
Fond memories of Los Arcos from this last March--a birthday party for a German pilgrim. He was a bit crusty on the outside but had to hold back tears when the birthday cake came out. Already we were family. He went ahead after Logrono, and I thought I'd never see him again...and there he was in Santiago. The Camino is magic! Enjoy!

Made it to Los Arcos. A great evening in the little square packed with pilgrims. Next stop viana.
Are you out sampling the tapas and visiting the church? When I was there on round 1 there was a funeral: 3 limos with caskets pulled in. I thought it must have been a fire, a car accident. But no, just 3 unrelated people, other than for the fact they were from the same community. Thought it was wonderful how their funeral was not a "one man show" but a celebration of life, no matter whose it was.

Yes to the tapas. Had an amazing degustacion pintxos in pamplona:)

And visiting a church at least once a day to give thanks for being able to continue this journey.

The village church is usually my first stop. ...before coffee.

I feel so blessed to be here.....and I am grateful for every step I can take.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It does do that to you, doesn't it?
The village church is usually my first stop. ...before coffee.

I feel so blessed to be here.....and I am grateful for every step I can take.
I'm a Buddhst nun and I did that too. Not every day, necessarily, but often.

Made it to Viana OK. Next stop navarette.

I'm fine doing about 20 km a day now. But any additional weight is really felt on the Achilles. Maybe in another week I can carry all my gear....

Tendinitis insider tip: Do drink lots, lots of water! Really it does help, and put the leg(s) up, put a blanket/pillow under your mattress at night also. Believe me, it does help. Buen Camino! SY

€83,-
Tendinitis insider tip: Do drink lots, lots of water! Really it does help, and put the leg(s) up, put a blanket/pillow under your mattress at night also. Believe me, it does help. Buen Camino! SY

Thanks SY. I'm following all the great advice you and others have given me over the last 18 months.

The members here not only helped prepare me for this Camino, but continue to keep me on track.

So very grateful to you all.....

Tendons seem to be under control for now, with icing, elevation, medication. and medication. I'm also, very careful to stay hydrated.

This morning the lower back pain that laid me out a month ago.....is reminding me it's still there :)

I might take a day off when I can to get some physio... but will keep up my daily exercises and warm ups to keep it under control.

All part of my Camino. I'm sure there is a reason for it... :)

And a lesson to be learned......!

All going well. Made it to Santo Domingo.

Belorado tomorrow. Bit stuck for the next day though. San Juan is already completo for 11th may.

My options are to go short...and lose a day.

Go long to ages or atapeurca and risk my tendonitis

Or skip forward somehow....

Or, sleep rough in San Juan.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From SJ to Ages, it's an easy downhill, and not so far.
One could also go to Villafranca...and then a longer distance the next day?
(My favorite cafe on that stretch is in Ages, on the left as you go into the village, where the Camino turns off to the right. Sorry, Robo, I can't remember the name but it was very sweet and a lifesaver don a sleeting March morning. I think it's also an an albergue/hostel.

San Juan takes reservations? Isn't that the old monastery where they used to give you garlic soup. The super humid place with caved in mattresses and cold water only? Can't imagine they would take reservations. But if you are going to do a memorable albergue and would like to tell stories about roughing it on the Camino, this is the place to stay! The little 'bar" next door makes a very nice morcilla.

All going well. Made it to Santo Domingo. Belorado tomorrow. Bit stuck for the next day though. San Juan is already completo for 11th may. My options are to go short...and lose a day. Go long to ages or atapeurca and risk my tendonitis Or skip forward somehow.... Or, sleep rough in San Juan.

Insider tip, walk tomorrow only to Granon, a very special place. Then to Tosantos and from there to Ages or Atapuerca. Buen Camino! SY

Me guesses he means the small casa rural there, not the monastery. SY
San Juan takes reservations? Isn't that the old monastery where they used to give you garlic soup. The super humid place with caved in mattresses and cold water only? Can't imagine they would take reservations. But if you are going to do a memorable albergue and would like to tell stories about roughing it on the Camino, this is the place to stay! The little 'bar" next door makes a very nice morcilla.

Good suggestions for Robo. And thanks for reasuring me as to my state of mind regarding San Juan taking reservations. That'll be the day ;0)

Insider tip, walk tomorrow only to Granon, a very special place. Then to Tosantos and from there to Ages or Atapuerca. Buen Camino! SY

Hmm. That's an option. But I would effectively lose a day.

And I enjoy the walking so would prefer not to walk so short...

€83,-

Correct :)

I don't wish to upset the pro Albergue brigade....but.... I haven't actually met anyone yet who enjoys them ;)

Last edited:

Still not sure what to do for the belorado to San Juan section....

I think either go long and do belorado to ages or atapeurca. Or if I cannot get a room. Jump from belorado to San Juan. ...reluctantly...

As a matter of interest. I heard a lot of reports the other night that najera was completo. ...

Some pilgrims are already finding they have to walk on to get a bed.

I am definitely not part of the albergue brigade as I believe in private rooms whenever possible. I do think it might be time to give up the Brierly stages tho as they are more likely to be completo before some of the others. It may be that you will want to start reserving a few days ahead now that it is getting busier. In the area that you are in I suffered thru 3 albergue in a row. Did I enjoy it? No!! Am I glad I did it rather than jump ahead, yes I am. That said, you've made very wise decisions so far and I know you will continue to pick whatever is right for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ditto to SY. But albergues aren't everyone's cuppa. And. Granon is very special. But I thought one needs to have walked from further away than Santo Domingo to be able to stay there?

... Granon is very special. But I thought one needs to have walked from further away than Santo Domingo to be able to stay there?

Nops, none of the two albergues in Granon itself have that requirement. Just use the morning for a leisurely sightseeing tour in Santo Domingo and carry on to Granon later in the day. That way you give the hospitaleros enough time to clean and get ready for their next load of pilgrims. For those that want a private room there is also the Ermita de Carrasquedo http://carrasquedo.obr.es/ around 1km away from the Camino in an absolutely tranquil spot. Buen Camino! SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Ermita de Carrasquedo mentioned by SYates is also a youth hostel with dorm facilities and inexpensive good meals. No need for any special hostel card to stay there, your pilgrim Crendencial does the trick.

And it's a few Kms off the Camino. But it's a lovely place, worth the stroll even if you're staying in Granon.

I am definitely not part of the albergue brigade as I believe in private rooms whenever possible. I do think it might be time to give up the Brierly stages tho as they are more likely to be completo before some of the others. It may be that you will want to start reserving a few days ahead now that it is getting busier. In the area that you are in I suffered thru 3 albergue in a row. Did I enjoy it? No!! Am I glad I did it rather than jump ahead, yes I am. That said, you've made very wise decisions so far and I know you will continue to pick whatever is right for you.

I'm in belorado tonight at hostel a Santiago. Really good.

And I managed to book a bed in atapeurca eventually for tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't wish to upset the pro Albergue brigade....but.... I haven't actually met anyone yet who enjoys them ;)
Not quite true. Depends on how you characterize the experience.

Think about your feelings when you have walked over 20 km - your heel is bothering you and you want to be at your destination. Are you enjoying your walk? Won't skeptics at home asked incredulously about your camino "How can you possibly be 'enjoying' it?"

I did enjoy the albergues - I thought they were fun, as well as an "adventure" to write home about. Sometimes I wanted privacy and more luxury, so I enjoyed that too.

Reading your post gives me the same delight as sitting in a cafe and seeing someone come in whom I hadn't seen in a few days.
Woo hoo, Robo, now you're on a roll! Really good going...
So cheering you on from afar and sending wishes for good weather and an ever more easeful walk.

[And slightly off topic but just to be clear...I liked Cclearly's post just now because it jives with my experience, but that doesn't by extrapolation that I 'dislike' your view! Your experience is yours, and it's totally valid for you. And we others will have ours...we can differ here with respect and appreciation. What I love about this forum is that there is no 'dislike ' button and (occasional spats aside) we all try our best to bring the spirit of the road here, mostly successfully. (And thanks to the moderators for stepping in if things do get out of hand...)]

I made it. Just. Nothing really left in the tank. 31 kms.

Everyone is advising I take a rest day in Burgos. So reluctantly I will.
I love your blog. The videos and off the cuff "reporting" is priceless. I don't think you will regret a rest day in Burgos. You can spend at least a half day in the Cathedral alone. I stayed at El Cid with a cathedral view (as in right next to Cathedral, not a distance view). My original plan was to take a short day getting there, spend a little time and get out of the city. As soon as I saw the Cathedral I changed my mind and booked two nights. Yep, I spent a day and a half in Burgos and then continued on to Hornillos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wooooowwww, Robo, fantastic.
When you get to the fork in the road tomorrow after you cross the A-1 (after Ornbaneja) take the left fork to go through Castaneres and along the river (not to make the mistake of turning right on the n-120)...go straight through to cross the river, then simply keep it on your right once you're over the bridge. It's park all the way...delightful. In distinct contrast to the alternative through the industrial exurbs, which is in no way delightful.
(Edit: A rest day in Burgos? Yes! Even if you're not into cathedrals, this one's jaw-dropping. I also spent a half-day there. I was in the albergue, but a friend stayed in the El Cid and loved it. And on the river side of the Plaza next to the cathedral is a nice little coffee place, open early in the morning.)

Last edited:
OK. I was only going to avoid blisters for so long. I've been so focused on managing my tendinitis, and being blister free so far, I forgot the advised blister treatment.

Yes, it's only a baby one :( I'll try to do better...

I think it was caused on the long walk yesterday by my orthotics. With a couple of heel wedges under the orthotics, the rear of the orthotic insole is raised up and so may have crated a 'lip' that caused a small blister.

So should I....
A. Slap a compeed on it.
B. Tape it.
C. Burst it?

I'll take out the orthotics for a day or two to give that spot a rest.

Attachments

• 20150512_130924.jpg
    20150512_130924.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Just found this for you http://holafoodie.com/burgos-tapas-tour/
Que aprovecho! SY

Wow, these places look great. Rob, we expect a full culinary report.

OK. I was only going to avoid blisters for so long. I've been so focused on managing my tendinitis, and being blister free so far, I forgot the advised blister treatment.

Yes, it's only a baby one :( I'll try to do better...

I think it was caused on the long walk yesterday by my orthotics. With a couple of heel wedges under the orthotics, the rear of the orthotic insole is raised up and so may have crated a 'lip' that caused a small blister.

So should
A. Slap a compeed on it.
B. Tape it.
C. Burst it?

I'll take out the orthotics for a day or two to give that spot a rest.

Rob, if you have been blister-free almost to Burgos, you are a champion. I personally would never take out my orthotic, but maybe take out the heel wedge?

If the blister is small, and is not deep, I find that the best solution is the Spanish one. (but this is an area where opinions are as extremely strong and extremely varied, so you will have to figure out the best for hyou). Pierce the blister with a sterilized, threaded needle, then leave the thread in there to allow continued drainage. If you don't have a needle, cutting a square of the top skin off to prevent re-sealing of the blister also works. I put anti-biotic cream on it and cover it with a piece of gauze and the best tape in the world, medifix (a cloth tape sold in farmacias everywhere, it is wonderful -- I bring rolls home every year for my outdoorsy kids). Early treatment is the cure, untreated blisters get bigger and frequently infected, so you're right to deal with it.

Enjoying your blog a lot, buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie. Much appreciated!

Sorry the pic was disappointing. Very small blister. Just me being a baby :oops:

PS. I can report the 'surgery' went well :)

Last edited:

€149,-
Enjoy those tapas, Robo!;)
Medifix, Omnifix (whatever the brand name) is great stuff. A doc from Adelaide told me about it; he was using it on his blisters. He just slapped it on and left it for many days--allowing the blister to heal underneath. I had pressure ulcers on my hipbones from my pack and did that, too. It worked a treat. (Antiseptic beforehand is a must!)

Yes, doesn't this make you wonder what they are thinking?o_O
Hope you're having a great walk today, Robo!
yes - agree mucho.
and in my observation: they don't !
thinking i mean. my illusion is that if they would be thinking AND be AWARE, it would be easy to realize that their actions has lots of effect on others, and not a positive one. an ounce of consideration goes such a long way ... often wonder why it seems such a challenge.
but then again, as with any case of oblivion: one is oblivious to ones own oblivion, no?

keep on keeping on ... there is also much joy to behold!
buen camino!

Enjoy those tapas, Robo!;)
Medifix, Omnifix (whatever the brand name) is great stuff. A doc from Adelaide told me about it; he was using it on his blisters. He just slapped it on and left it for many days--allowing the blister to heal underneath. I had pressure ulcers on my hipbones from my pack and did that, too. It worked a treat. (Antiseptic beforehand is a must!)
I asked one pharmacies tonight about medifix. They didn't know it.

Will try another tomorrow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try 'Omnifix'...it comes in a roll and looks like this:
IMG_9090.JPG
(And I got it in Burgos but can't remember where , sorry...:confused:)
The doc who was using it on his blisters took about a 10-12 cm length and covered the entire heel area with it. I found it a bit fiddly to put on; maybe do that before the vino and tapas? ;))

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good news Robo! Castrojeriz has always been a personal favorite stop on the CF. Check out the friendly bar scene at La Taberna. Both it and the nearby El Meson have good food. Do store up energy for tomorrow's hike climbing out and up towards Fromista.

Buen camino!

MM

And what goes up must come down...take it easy on the concreted 18% grade down on the other side!
Almost halt half way, Robo!! Amazing, is it not!?
(I loved Catrojerez too. Had a lovely night there, very gracious hostpitaleros One of my fellow pilgrims had left her credencial in Hornillos and he called to confirm, then jumped into his car and picked it up for her. We were impressed....)
And the albergue was both comfortable and interesting. There was a huge old wine press spanning the lengh of the dining room, and the cellars downstairs had started out as defensive tunnels for the castle.)

Apparently many of the homes whose back faces the hill have tunnels that go deep into the hill. I met a pilgrim who was given a tour of someone's house and saw these. I really enjoyed the Hospital del Alma. Hope it's still there. This couple restored their home beautifully and open it to pilgrims daily showing a beautiful exhibit of pictures from different pilgrimages. A very special moment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pl
Good news Robo! Castrojeriz has always been a personal favorite stop on the CF. Check out the friendly bar scene at La Taberna. Both it and the nearby El Meson have good food. Do store up energy for tomorrow's hike climbing out and up towards Fromista.

Buen camino!

MM
Plenty of energy taken on board last night :)

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back