• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

22 Sleeps to go - But My Camino has started in earnest ....

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I've been planning my Camino for over 18 months. And I've been glued to this Forum throughout this period..

The advice I have gained from this Forum has been invaluable, and has shaped my views on the Camino and my personal expectations of the journey.

Particularly over the last few months, I have mellowed in terms of my expectations and on the wise counsel of the experienced Pilgrims here I became far more 'relaxed' about my planning and what I hoped to achieve...

So many times I was told not to plan too much and to take things as they came. That the Camino would throw me curved balls... and I would need to adapt and cope...

Well. my Camino really has started. And my plans are now very fluid. In fact my priorities and expectations are changing by the day...

Some of you may have read that as I increased the intensity of my training, I developed Achilles Tendonitis. With the help of my GP, podiatrist, physio and cortisone injections it looked like my preparations would only be interrupted for a week.

And as advised by the 'old hands' here I was prepared to start off very slow and use the first 7-10 days to ease into my Camino, going easy on my tendons.

Well 4 days ago things came into a different perspective...

I pulled my back and couldn't even walk. With pain killers I am now hobbling with a stick. GP and Physio on hand yet again to try to get me ready to start in 21 days.....

Am I still going? Of course. It might just be an even slower start than planned.... Of course I have Plan B and a Plan C...........involving a later start date. But at this point I aim to be there as planned.

Why did I post this in my rather drug addled state? (some great painkillers)

Merely to thank you all for your support and advice which has enabled me to cope with these curved balls.......

I just take the view that someone above has decided I need a bit of an extra challenge :)

By hook or by crook, I'll be leaving on the 25th :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good luck and Buen Camino, Robo.

I can understand your drive. I spent 16 months planning my Camino before I finally got underway. Thankfully I didn't get any significant injuries - my left knee gave me some trouble, I pulled a muscle in my right thigh, and I got a nasty chest cold during the last week - but I saw plenty of others who did. I heard of one woman who had broken a bone in her foot and was still trying to walk the last part from Sarria to Santiago. I don't know if she made it but, if I had been in her position, I think I may have tried to do the same thing. By the last week I couldn't countenance the idea of anything stopping me from making it to Santiago on foot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck and Buen Camino, Robo.

I can understand your drive. I spent 16 months planning my Camino before I finally got underway. Thankfully I didn't get any significant injuries - my left knee gave me some trouble, I pulled a muscle in my right thigh, and I got a nasty chest cold during the last week - but I saw plenty of others who did. I heard of one woman who had broken a bone in her foot and was still trying to walk the last part from Sarria to Santiago. I don't know if she made it but, if I had been in her position, I think I may have tried to do the same thing. By the last week I couldn't countenance the idea of anything stopping me from making it to Santiago on foot.

You guys are making me feel more and more relaxed about my pending Camino starting at SJPDP on 5 May 2015.

Robo, when that warm Spanish sun shines on you and you see the incredible landscapes and share all those "Buen Caminos", injuries (non-serious ones anyway) just melt away. Take care of yourself, at times stop and ask yourself ... How do I feel? How are my feet? How's my pack feel? Do I need to make any adjustments? Should I slow down? Do I need water? There will be lots of time for these thoughts :)
All the best, this experience will stay with you forever.

Be very prepared for set backs on the Camino. Your feet will be tested again and again. Be prepare to stop walking for a day or two. Also remember that everyone is a foot doctor on the Camino (lol) and they provide lots of advise. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Robo

Starting on the 25th as well. Look forward to seeing you.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Just realised, it's cool that you are starting the Camino on Anzac Day!

Thanks for your comments and best wishes. My goals are now a bit smaller .....

Maybe in 2-3 days, 'touch wood' I'll be able to bend down to put on my boots? :rolleyes:

Pack? That might come later.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I feel you!
My departure is 12 days from now and I've been stuck at hone for the last three weeks after suffering an ankle injury myself because I was training for the Camino a little too hard.
I could barely walk and my family told me to delay my trip until next year. Are they crazy? If I have to crawl, I will do this Camino, said I.
Happy to report that after a series of accupunture treatments I am back in the game and pain free. Although my family thinks that I am going to start in Rocenvalles instead of SJPP, so I can take it easy.... We'll see

I feel you!
My departure is 12 days from now and I've been stuck at hone for the last three weeks after suffering an ankle injury myself because I was training for the Camino a little too hard.
I could barely walk and my family told me to delay my trip until next year. Are they crazy? If I have to crawl, I will do this Camino, said I.
Happy to report that after a series of accupunture treatments I am back in the game and pain free. Although my family thinks that I am going to start in Rocenvalles instead of SJPP, so I can take it easy.... We'll see

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My last camino was the Portuguese, Porto to Santiogo and easy to walk into condition. That being said, staying at a hotel now and then with a tub to marinate in was wonderful.

Happy Trails

Well Robo that is horrible news. Part of me thinks you would be smart to delay your adventure and get well. Another part of me thinks maybe you should start tomorrow before you have a chance to hurt something else. Seriously though, I am sorry for these setbacks and hope to hear soon that you are on your way.

Well Robo that is horrible news. Part of me thinks you would be smart to delay your adventure and get well. Another part of me thinks maybe you should start tomorrow before you have a chance to hurt something else. Seriously though, I am sorry for these setbacks and hope to hear soon that you are on your way.

A delayed departure would make sense, and be logical. But I'd rather go ahead as planned. To get another 2 month window of opportunity from work may never come around again...and in a way, I think these setbacks are supposed to be part of my Camino :)

Obviously if by the departure date I still cannot actually walk without a walking stick, (I haven't ventured out of the house in a week) or cannot even carry my pack to the plane.......I might need to rethink things:( But I have a feeling I'll be on my way as planned ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino Robo! I will be pretty slow moving myself you just may catch up to me. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

A delayed departure would make sense, and be logical. But I'd rather go ahead as planned. To get another 2 month window of opportunity from work may never come around again...and in a way, I think these setbacks are supposed to be part of my Camino :)

Obviously if by the departure date I still cannot actually walk without a walking stick, (I haven't ventured out of the house in a week) or cannot even carry my pack to the plane.......I might need to rethink things:( But I have a feeling I'll be on my way as planned ;)

hi robo - i hope it will all mend and you soon shall be on your way ... all the way to santiago.
don't know what your flight arrangements are - but i hope you are able to perhaps upgrade if you not already have. it made an immense difference for long flights flying out-of-coach. it might /will ease the arrival.
keep envisioning yourself walking on the camino ... and you'll get there!!
very best wishes -

Hi Rob

Starting on the 25th as well. Look forward to seeing you.

Buen Camino
I feel you!
What is too much training?, I'm scare to injure myself now, preparing my trip for May 26th :(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello @Robo - wow, this is unexpected. Some of my best experiences on the Camino have been while I was delayed and had to sit out a day or two, waiting for people or waiting for shoes to be repaired or simply because my body needed a rest. Sitting in the plaza, maybe drinking a coffee but mainly just watching the world go by, is a great break from all of the stressors in our day to day lives, and can be immensely enjoyable. It is very much a part of Spanish life. If that happens to you because of your injuries, then maybe it is meant to be. Whatever happens, I hope you get from this Camino what you need.

What is too much training?, I'm scare to injure myself now, preparing my trip for May 26th :(

I wouldn't worry. I think I just increased my training intensity too much at the last minute. And I wasn't training much. I started walking a couple of times a month, 18 months ago. Then a couple of times a week 2-3 months ago and then almost everyday. I upped the distance and the hills a bit too quickly I think. The Tendonitis came about through overuse. So a gradual build up in training with lots of stretching would have prevented it.

The strained back was just 'one of those things'. Lifting and turning awkwardly and 'twang'..... Considering I was unable to actually walk for a couple of days (had to call an ambulance), I'm not doing too badly now. Able to work at my PC standing up. Doing regular stretching. In a coupe of days I might try a short walk... Though all helped at the moment with some fairly heavy duty pain killers.

I'll get there one way or another!

Given my time again I would work out a careful training routine that slowly increased distance, weight etc.

Of course it was not helped by being unfit and overweight to start with !

My husband and I leave on April 25 for Seville. We initially were going to do the Mozarabe from Granada to Merida, then the Madrid and then the Invierno (we like being away from the crowds). I was planning to leave the Frances until we were 'old', when we would appreciate the shorter walks. Max will turn 69 on the way.

Well... Max injured his hips - first one then the other, so has hardly been able to walk. So now we are going to start on the Frances and see what happens. Maybe only 10km a day. Maybe taxis. Maybe one day walking then one day resting. Maybe even just enjoying Spain in Camino-related areas. Whatever happens, we will enjoy it. I too have been glued to this forum and it is from here that I developed this attitude. Relax, enjoy the moment and take what comes.

Best of luck , Robbo. Maybe we will meet.

Poco a poco.

Sue (Dulwich Hill)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband and I leave on April 25 for Seville. We initially were going to do the Mozarabe from Granada to Merida, then the Madrid and then the Invierno (we like being away from the crowds). I was planning to leave the Frances until we were 'old', when we would appreciate the shorter walks. Max will turn 69 on the way.

Well... Max injured his hips - first one then the other, so has hardly been able to walk. So now we are going to start on the Frances and see what happens. Maybe only 10km a day. Maybe taxis. Maybe one day walking then one day resting. Maybe even just enjoying Spain in Camino-related areas. Whatever happens, we will enjoy it. I too have been glued to this forum and it is from here that I developed this attitude. Relax, enjoy the moment and take what comes.

Best of luck , Robbo. Maybe we will meet.

Poco a poco.

Sue (Dulwich Hill)

I'll look out for you. Buen Camino

hi robo - i hope it will all mend and you soon shall be on your way ... all the way to santiago.
don't know what your flight arrangements are - but i hope you are able to perhaps upgrade if you not already have. it made an immense difference for long flights flying out-of-coach. it might /will ease the arrival.
keep envisioning yourself walking on the camino ... and you'll get there!!
very best wishes -

Yes I thought about upgrading............But it's about $4,000 one way! I might just change my seat allocation to an aisle so I can get up and stretch and move around..... Normally I get a window seat, watch a movie, drink half a gallon of wine......and sleep....

Yes I thought about upgrading............But it's about $4,000 one way! I might just change my seat allocation to an aisle so I can get up and stretch and move around..... Normally I get a window seat, watch a movie, drink half a gallon of wine......and sleep....
Gasp...4000$ for an upgrade... Whoa...
That is steep. Can't afford business right now, so it's ' premium economy' in the meanwhile... And that sometimes is only a difference of 200-400$ depending time/ direction.
Or, if you are lucky... Dazzle someone with a smile and fine chocolates, nicely wrapped, at the counter.... And you might ask for a seat with empty ones next to it. That was how i once made it from london to bombay in the horizontal...on singapore airlines....i had just been out of the hospital (herniated disk) for less than 2 wks and was adament of going back to india... And i did. I explained the situation, ...and voila', you might be surprised how far " think outside the box"can get you....
Very best wishes!, buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Robo, it's nice to see you keeping such an open, positive mind about all this and how it can be seen as a part of your Camino. We usually think of our Camino as starting the day we begin walking. But in reality it begins the day the idea enters our minds. Perhaps it's just a little test being thrown your way, the Camino making sure you really want this.

And I second what Amorfati said about dazzling someone at the counter for a better seat. A smile and a gentle word can often get amazing results. Open yourself up to the possibility that even at this early stage the Camino can be working its magic.

I wish you the best in your recovery, just keep it slow and steady.

Yolanda. I do a lot of training for distance running and for walking....listen to your body, stretch, make sure that you have the right shoes for you. Get good advice on the latter. Get a little bit of fitness, you will walk into fitness as the walk goes on. There is plenty of good advice on the forum on starting easy. In the meantime start walking and SLOWLY increase distance. Add hills (don't forget the downhill as well....some of us hate this more than going up)

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And I second what Amorfati said about dazzling someone at the counter for a better seat. A smile and a gentle word can often get amazing results. Open yourself up to the possibility that even at this early stage the Camino can be working its magic.

As a regular business traveller (almost weekly), my experience is, that giving away better seats died out 10 years ago when the frequent flyer programs really took hold, but I'll give it a try :)

And Yes, as a frequent flyer I tried upgrading but it's an Emirates flight not a Qantas one so I can't upgrade on points :(

May I add my sympathies Robo. Get your pack carried. Pack Camino smarties. Walk short distances. Be prepared to taxi/bus/train - there is no such thing as "cheating" unless you cheat yourself! :) However you manage getting there you will have overcome huge difficulties and will deserve to recognize what you have achieved. Buen Camino cobber. :)

May I add my sympathies Robo. Get your pack carried. Pack Camino smarties. Walk short distances. Be prepared to taxi/bus/train - there is no such thing as "cheating" unless you cheat yourself! :) However you manage getting there you will have overcome huge difficulties and will deserve to recognize what you have achieved. Buen Camino cobber. :)

Thanks for your kind thoughts Al. I'll be traveling with a mini pharmacy!

The last week has seen me progress to walking around the house without a stick. So extrapolating that improvement forward another two weeks should equate to me being able to walk over the Pyrenees with a backpack.... :) Won't it? :rolleyes:

But plan B will be Caroline's taxi service for my pack at least.....

Buen Camino, Robo.

As someone suffering at the moment with two recently fractured vertebrae (T6 &10 and at present looking like a caricature of Richard the III) you have my sympathy for what you are/have been suffering.

Go, Robo, go.......

Play safe. Transport pack first 4 days while you test the water. I'm not quite myself physically at the moment and I will be taking it very easy myself, though I doubt I will transport my 4K.
I'm traveling quite light anyway. 6kg. Even if I send my bag forward, I'll have to carry food, water, wet weather gear.... That will be 4kg anyway, including the pack...

But I'll try to transport some of the weight forward in a day pack.

16 Sleeps to go. And I'm feeling about as unprepared as I could possibly be :( I haven't been able to train for about 6 weeks. I have put on weight.

But I'm walking unaided at least. Though with the help of some pharmaceuticals...

I might try a short walk in my boots today/tomorrow. Maybe in another week I can wear a backpack :) The new backpack that I haven't even tried yet. :eek: But it felt great in the shop...

But,.....I have a question for 'those who have gone before'.

My Doctor has been very good and has given me a prescription for some 'emergency' painkillers. Enough to keep me moving for a day if I need to get to medical help.

But I suspect I may still be taking OTC (over the counter - non prescription) medication when I start. Panadol (500 mg Paracetamol) and Nurofen (Ibuprofen 200 mg) ever 4 hours.. It dulls the backpain enough to get me moving. (I can't take the stronger Brufen because of other medical issues)

But I'm not sure if these are International 'Brands'. Are they available in Spain, or what brand should I look out for? I guess I can just take the packet to a Pharmacy and show them.... I presume these are also OTC in Spain?

Can't wait to get underway! I'm sure in another 2 weeks I'll be feeling a lot more prepared :)

P.S. In case you think I'm nuts. Both my Doctor and Physio have given me the Green light to go. I'm unlikely to 'damage' anything. It just might hurt a bit ;) I reckon it will be good therapy.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Robo

From one Aussie to another I don't think that you are nuts. Hope to see you out there.

Buen Camino

Peter
From another Aussie to all the other Aussies, buen Camino! Mine starts at SJPDP on 5 May 2015.

From another Aussie to all the other Aussies, buen Camino! Mine starts at SJPDP on 5 May 2015.

I start out 7 days ahead of you Costas. So I'll expect to see you on my day 8 or 9 ;) Buen Camino.

I will be easily identifiable.

I'll be going very slow.
With a Blue Osprey backpack.
On which will be perched my trusty companion 'Mr Bean'. Long story....

Mr Bean 2.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I catch up, it will be a miracle cause I will also be slow! My backpack is also a blue Osprey, but at this stage I don't have a distinguishing hang-on! Anyway, if I see Mr Bean teddy I'll stop and say hello.

Yolanda. I do a lot of training for distance running and for walking....listen to your body, stretch, make sure that you have the right shoes for you. Get good advice on the latter. Get a little bit of fitness, you will walk into fitness as the walk goes on. There is plenty of good advice on the forum on starting easy. In the meantime start walking and SLOWLY increase distance. Add hills (don't forget the downhill as well....some of us hate this more than going up)

Buen Camino
Well, I bought my boots and starting training since end of March, I live in Florida, so no up or down hill except in the gym, where I can incline up to 7% but I have done to 5.5. I do 6-10 miles daily carrying my backpack , and resting one or two days depending on how my body is feeling.
Last night I did 10 miles, but the last 2 miles I was very tired, I'm still treating blisters. I'm just running scare, and getting very tired. I just wrote a similar treat responding to someone that is counting down to 46 nights, I'm counting down to 41 nights. thank you for your encouragement! :)

Well, I bought my boots and starting training since end of March, I live in Florida, so no up or down hill except in the gym, where I can incline up to 7% but I have done to 5.5. I do 6-10 miles daily carrying my backpack , and resting one or two days depending on how my body is feeling.
Last night I did 10 miles, but the last 2 miles I was very tired, I'm still treating blisters. I'm just running scare, and getting very tired. I just wrote a similar treat responding to someone that is counting down to 46 nights, I'm counting down to 41 nights. thank you for your encouragement! :)

Sounds like you're doing fine.....

9 sleeps to go. And I haven't been able to train for a month or more :( But looking forward to it immensely and I'm just preparing to start slow. As many here have suggested, I'll use the first few days for training :)

€46,-

9 sleeps to go. And I haven't been able to train for a month or more :( But looking forward to it immensely and I'm just preparing to start slow. As many here have suggested, I'll use the first few days for training :)
hi robo,good luck to you,,,its now 7 sleeps for me,,so i know how u feel. [ but for the injuries ].

A selection of Camino Jewellery
14 sleeps for me and like every one else I am getting excited/scared see you there :)

Maybe because my expectations of myself physically, have been lowered due to injury, I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about it.
In the words of Doris Day, or more accurately Jay Livingston and Ray Evans, Que Sera Sera..... :)

We will get there right? Buen Camino:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We will get there right? Buen Camino:)

We will certainly go with the grit and determination to get there. And I am sure we will be tested..........many times, in many ways. And regardless of how far we actually get, we'll be better for the experience. I just hope it's all the way :) Though I am now firmly of the view that I am going for the journey, not the destination, and how far and how long that journey takes me, may not be totally up to me. :rolleyes:

Though I shall be severely disappointed if it's not all the way ;)

We will certainly go with the grit and determination to get there. And I am sure we will be tested..........many times, in many ways. And regardless of how far we actually get, we'll be better for the experience. I just hope it's all the way :) Though I am now firmly of the view that I am going for the journey, not the destination, and how far and how long that journey takes me, may not be totally up to me. :rolleyes:

Though I shall be severely disappointed if it's not all the way ;)
I like one of our season peregrines quote" the Camino chooses us" "The Camino takes care of us", don't forget you statement also, WE,, so both of you will help and encourage the other. the Camino is not an obligation, so whenever you want to rest more than one day, then do so.
You know you can and will do it! God Bless you, and Buen Camino:)

12 hours to go then I fly to Biarritz and on to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to start my first Camino, now the nerves are kicking in... what have I let myself in for
burn Camino to every one. :)
I hope you are having a great camino:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
12 hours to go then I fly to Biarritz and on to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to start my first Camino, now the nerves are kicking in... what have I let myself in for
burn Camino to every one. :)

Well, you are on the route now... And probably over the Pyrenees by now. So, well done! Hope you are taking it slowly, and enjoying every minute. Remember, it is not a marathon. It is just a very very special walk...

Robo, don't worry!
Perhaps your body was just trying to tell you to RELAX!!!
Don't worry about not having trained in a few weeks. You'll be fine.
Start out REAL SLOW. Work you way up to the pace you are hoping to walk at.
Right now, I want you to . . .
. . . Plop on the couch, put your feet up, have a glass of wine, and put your mind in a happy place.
You are in for a great adventure :)

Buen Camino,
Kathy

Seriously, be ready to relax and slow down or stop (temporarily) when your body insists. You want to make it all the way, don't you???

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Robo, don't worry!
Perhaps your body was just trying to tell you to RELAX!!!
Don't worry about not having trained in a few weeks. You'll be fine.
Start out REAL SLOW. Work you way up to the pace you are hoping to walk at.
Right now, I want you to . . .
. . . Plop on the couch, put your feet up, have a glass of wine, and put your mind in a happy place.
You are in for a great adventure :)

Buen Camino,
Kathy

Seriously, be ready to relax and slow down or stop (temporarily) when your body insists. You want to make it all the way, don't you???

My training for the last 4 weeks has consisted of............ "Plop on the couch, put your feet up, have a glass of wine, and put your mind in a happy place." ;)

I thinks it's done it's magic already!:)

Hi Robbo and Aussie Pete...My Camino starts from SJPDP on 15 May and I am also a Peter from Australia. I wish you both buen Camino and hope we can cross paths

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A shoutout to you @Robo - knowing the long flight may have caused problems. If you need to get your bearings for a day or two SJPDP is a lovely little town. Consider the Valcarlos route if the weather is bad - or you want the option of walking part way and then getting transported to Roncesvales. My friend with physical problems walked to Arneguey and part-way to Valcarlos, then telephoned and took a taxi the rest of the way.

Well, you are on the route now... And probably over the Pyrenees by now. So, well done! Hope you are taking it slowly, and enjoying every minute. Remember, it is not a marathon. It is just a very very special walk...
Buen camino, kevhan!

My training for the last 4 weeks has consisted of............ "Plop on the couch, put your feet up, have a glass of wine, and put your mind in a happy place." ;)
Sounds like the best final training plan!

Last edited:
A shoutout to you @Robo - knowing the long flight may have caused problems. If you need to get your bearings for a day or two SJPDP is a lovely little town. Consider the Valcarlos route if the weather is bad - or you want the option of walking part way and then getting transported to Roncesvales. My friend with physical problems walked to Arneguey and part-way to Valcarlos, then telephoned and took a taxi the rest of the way.

Thanks Kanga.

I leave Sydney on 25th, ANZAC Day. So it will be an emotional day in many ways... I'll really try to take the easy options in the first few days where I can.
I have a points upgrade request in with Qantas. I'll only find out on the day of the flight. Maybe the Camino will smile on me. But regardless. I'll manage. My back is getting better. So as long as I get up and move around, and stretch, I'll be fine.

Tried a 4 km walk yesterday and all went well. My first walk in about 5 weeks I think. I just do stretches every 500 metres or so for a minute, to stretch out the Achilles. Seems to help a lot. So I'll try a few more test walks before I go. I'll aim to use the first few days on the Camino to get my legs and back working again.

Day 1 I'll only go as far as Orisson with a day pack....taking my time. Caroline will pick me up and return me to SJPDP.
The Plan for Day 2 is for Caroline to take me back up to Orisson, and take my main gear on to Roncesvalles for me. But Plans, Men, Laid, Mice etc.... ;)
If Day 1 was too much for my recovering Achilles, then I'll just ride with my pack to Roncesvalles, or maybe up to the Peak at least. We'll just see what happens.

Then I'll transport my pack another 2 or 3 days (or more) and give things a chance to settle down.

I really want to try and make it the whole distance, so being sensible the first few days might help...

My dear wife Pat suggested I postpone a week :eek: But what the heck, I'll just use that first week to ease into things really slowly..... :)

I see Caroline has posted a 'Last Minute' Transport List on her website home page. A handy guide to what is already booked that you can join.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Though with the help of some pharmaceuticals... But I suspect I may still be taking OTC (over the counter - non prescription) medication when I start. Panadol (500 mg Paracetamol) and Nurofen (Ibuprofen 200 mg) ever 4 hours.. It dulls the backpain enough to get me moving. (I can't take the stronger Brufen because of other medical issues)

But I'm not sure if these are International 'Brands'. Are they available in Spain, or what brand should I look out for? I guess I can just take the packet to a Pharmacy and show them.... I presume these are also OTC in Spain?

Robo, regarding meds, in Spain you do not get to browse, you ask the lovely lady at the counter for what you want or what she suggests for your ailment. Since you know the generic names of what you are currently using you will easily be able to get some more. I always depend on voltaren, and they freely hand that out as well without prescriptions. They hand out an awful lot of what for us is prescription here without one there ;0) And if one pharmacy won't give it to you, just try the one down the street ;0) (there are more pharmacies in Spain than any other sort of commerce!)

Thanks Kanga.

I leave Sydney on 25th, ANZAC Day. So it will be an emotional day in many ways... I'll really try to take the easy options in the first few days where I can.
I have a points upgrade request in with Qantas. I'll only find out on the day of the flight. Maybe the Camino will smile on me. But regardless. I'll manage. My back is getting better. So as long as I get up and move around, and stretch, I'll be fine.

Tried a 4 km walk yesterday and all went well. My first walk in about 5 weeks I think. I just do stretches every 500 metres or so for a minute, to stretch out the Achilles. Seems to help a lot. So I'll try a few more test walks before I go. I'll aim to use the first few days on the Camino to get my legs and back working again.

Day 1 I'll only go as far as Orisson with a day pack....taking my time. Caroline will pick me up and return me to SJPDP.
The Plan for Day 2 is for Caroline to take me back up to Orisson, and take my main gear on to Roncesvalles for me. But Plans, Men, Laid, Mice etc.... ;)
If Day 1 was too much for my recovering Achilles, then I'll just ride with my pack to Roncesvalles, or maybe up to the Peak at least. We'll just see what happens.

Then I'll transport my pack another 2 or 3 days (or more) and give things a chance to settle down.

I really want to try and make it the whole distance, so being sensible the first few days might help...

My dear wife Pat suggested I postpone a week :eek: But what the heck, I'll just use that first week to ease into things really slowly..... :)

I see Caroline has posted a 'Last Minute' Transport List on her website home page. A handy guide to what is already booked that you can join.
Hi Robbo, Good luck with your challenges. I hope you can make it to SdC. I'm just interested, since you would like to make it all the way. How many days have you allowed for the pilgrimage. I leave ST j on 15th May

Hi Robbo, Good luck with your challenges. I hope you can make it to SdC. I'm just interested, since you would like to make it all the way. How many days have you allowed for the pilgrimage. I leave ST j on 15th May

Hi Peter.

My original plan allowed extra time anyway, as I didn't want to rush. Well 'more' time than many other people anyway...

I have 46 days all up. Leaving SJPDP on 28th April. If possible I'd like to go on to Muxia. I'll just see how I go and I can jump ahead if need be.

15th May huh? My Birthday. On that day I plan to be in a nice Hotel somewhere, with a great bottle of Red Wine. I'll raise a glass to you and think of your great first day efforts :)

You'll quite possibly catch me up at some stage.

Of course I could also still be at Roncesvalles recovering from 'my' first day, in which case I'll shout you dinner ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Peter.

My original plan allowed extra time anyway, as I didn't want to rush. Well 'more' time than many other people anyway...

I have 46 days all up. Leaving SJPDP on 28th April. If possible I'd like to go on to Muxia. I'll just see how I go and I can jump ahead if need be.

15th May huh? My Birthday. On that day I plan to be in a nice Hotel somewhere, with a great bottle of Red Wine. I'll raise a glass to you and think of your great first day efforts :)

You'll quite possibly catch me up at some stage.

Of course I could also still be at Roncesvalles recovering from 'my' first day, in which case I'll shout you dinner ;)
You are on Robbo, I will keep my eyes peeled for the telltale Mr Bean. I'm sure you will be well past Roncesvalles by the time we catch up. It will be great if we catch up an have a Pilgrim meal together

Exciting times... it is almost D-day!
Everyone has said (including yourself), but I'll say it again - go slowly, slowly, slowly...! Do not feel that you have to keep up with anyone. It seems such a simple and obvious thing to say, but I have seen so many people rush off and do themselves damage in the first few days... Especially if you are not 100% at the moment.
But most of all, enjoy it!
Buen Camino. (I am very excited for you).

You are right gapowell, I was thinking of trying to make it all the way to Roncesvalles on day 1, but maybe I start out from StJean after having a good look around first, and just head for Orisson for the first night. I suppose the pilgrims office will advise me if I should call ahead and book a bed at Orisson???

€46,-
You are right gapowell, I was thinking of trying to make it all the way to Roncesvalles on day 1, but maybe I start out from StJean after having a good look around first, and just head for Orisson for the first night. I suppose the pilgrims office will advise me if I should call ahead and book a bed at Orisson???
Do book ASAP since Orisson is very popular!

3 Sleeps to go. And now I'm really starting to worry about my Achilles Tendonitis.

How far will I actually get? What kind of distance will I be able to walk each day?

I'll just have to see how it goes....

My Physio has advised it will only get more painful the further I go. I guess I knew that but did not want to actually hear it. But he and my Doctor say no permanent damage will be done.

But now I am worrying that if I take painkillers, they will 'mask' the pain too much and I'll over strain the Achilles causing a break. I'll try to avoid them I think.

I'll also take one more trip to the Doctor and Physio to get their opinions. But so far they have said I'm good to go.

I'm thinking that I might just transport my gear every day, so as to minimise further injury. Just carry my pack pack, wet weather gear, food and water. And I'll have to stick to a regular routine of warming up, stretching, icing through the day, icing at night etc. Stretching down at night.

Given this may be the only window of opportunity for me to get 2 months off............I'm going regardless :p

And if it gets so bad that I can only walk 3 kms a day and taxi the rest, then so be it. At least I'll be on the Camino soaking it all up :)

All your digital friends on the Forum hope for the best for you Robo. Stay calm and go easy. May you sense camino joy despite the pain.
Carpe diem and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret... Your encouragement means a lot. :)

Yes, go slow Robo. Where do you start from? I may have missed that, or forgot.
Anyway, you are your best doctor, react to what your body tells you.
Off you go, yahooo, Buen Camino friend!

Yes, go slow Robo. Where do you start from? I may have missed that, or forgot.
Anyway, you are your best doctor, react to what your body tells you.
Off you go, yahooo, Buen Camino friend!
Starting at St Jean. But will go very slow. Plan on taking 2 days roncesvalles.

Think of the ANZACs Robo, you can bloody do it, one way or the other.
Onya, mate!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Robo, as one of the sages on this forum said, you've been practicing for this ever since you learnt to walk. Just one foot in front of the other.

The first few days are long, even with two days getting to Roncesvales is a slog. With an injury, you may panic when you face the reality of the kilometres. Don't be frightened, just take the ride with Caroline if you need to. The stage to Zubriri is also long, but can be shortened by staying in a casa rural. You have plenty of time built into your plan. And when the pain says "Stop"! then for goodness sake, listen. There is nothing lost by having a few hours in a chair with your foot in ice, in a sunny plaza with a gin and tonic at your elbow and Spanish village life unfolding before you.

Thank you all for your moral support!

I'll need to just 'deal' with this injury and not let it take over and consume my Camino!

I guess my Camino will just be a bit different to the one I planned. .... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that I might just transport my gear every day, so as to minimise further injury. Just carry my pack pack, wet weather gear, food and water. And I'll have to stick to a regular routine of warming up, stretching, icing through the day, icing at night etc. Stretching down at night.

I'm going regardless :p

And if it gets so bad that I can only walk 3 kms a day and taxi the rest, then so be it. At least I'll be on the Camino soaking it all up :)

Same here.
Thanks for the routine reminder.
Will be starting in Roncevalles on May 5th.

Buen camino

Found a nice Hotel in Paris near Gare Montparnasse. Handy for the TGV to Bayonne in the morning. Tomorrow St jean. ......

Afternote. For anyone traveling this way. I stayed at the Best Western Bretagne. 600 meters from the station and on the same street out the door turn left are some great places to eat..... I could stay here a week eating my way slowly down the street.....

Maybe I should change my name to Joost ;)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If a pilgrim can make it to Santiago on the vapors of good wishes, Robo, your fan club here has certainly provided enough loud and strong wishes for a wonderful Camino to you. We are looking forward to hearing about your journey. Buen camino, Laurie

Kind thoughts Laurie... many thanks.

I'm lying here in bed in St jean , at 3am, listening to the rain pouring down :)

Can't wait to get going! But a couple more hours sleep will help I think....

Kind thoughts Laurie... many thanks.

I'm lying here in bed in St jean , at 3am, listening to the rain pouring down :)

Can't wait to get going! But a couple more hours sleep will help I think....
happy to read you made it that far ... - marvelous. cheering for you all the way from california .... !
buen camino -
for every step and pause and rest and step on the way!! BUEN CAMINO!
saluti!

Buen Camino Robo!!!
By now you are already out the door and headed up the hill. Take it easy and take care!
Wishing you the very best of journeys...after today and given your tendonitis, I'll bet you will be extra glad not to have that rice cooker! :D
All the very best. May your feet have wings. And may your tendons be happy. (If not there is always diclofenac gel. OTC at any pharmacia. A lifesaver. )

Last edited:
Day one complete. Made it to orisson in 3 hours. Just walked very slowly, small steps without really stopping. I was afraid that if I stopped I would never get going again:)

And hey.....that is quite some hill :eek:

I think I had so many heel wedges in my boots I was almost in 'high heels' ....

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If anyone is remotely interested in 'yet another' blog, I'm putting a fair bit of detail on the blog shown in my signature.

It's really written for non Camino savvy friends and family, as you will see.

I just find it the easiest way to record my journey and share with people.

Though I should confess I'm adopting the blogging made easy approach......

Dictate the blog onto my phone.
Email the audio and pics to my 'assistant' for transcription and posting.

And the posts are up within a few hours ;)

So if you see some typos and grammatical errors, that's why! :p

http://robscamino.com/category/blog/

Dictate the blog onto my phone. Email the audio and pics to my 'assistant' for transcription and posting.
I am somewhat relieved to read that - I was feeling inadequate when remembering my own blogging efforts while on the camino. I was so impressed with your professional-quality posts and I wondered how you had managed that when you were jet-lagged and working on a small device in bits of spare time. However, it is a pleasure to read, so keep it up. And send my compliments to your assistant.

Hi c clearly. I was really just doing it to save me from updating all the family, but it's growing a bit. Day 1 walking ended up with 5 audio files.... it's fun to record ones thoughts and impressions at the time and 'in the moment' as it were....

I'm also doing some video, but those don't seem to be uploading / syncing from Dropbox for some reason.

Maybe a techie here might know the answer? Pics are syncing fine, but not videos. Around 100 mb each.....

Made it to roncesvalles. I think I can try to build up my distance a bit now. Viskaret tomorrow. Then probably zubiri. Maybe by the end of my first week I can do 20 km a day. That will get me to Santiago. ...

Took loads of video today. Hopefully will be on my blog within 24 hours. They take an age to upload. ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
BRAVO, Robo! Been thinking of you and am so glad you made it up the hill OK. Was it not glorious? Was it not harder than.....??
Take it easy down the hills in the next few days, especially into Zubiri....that one's a challenge in every way.

I'm following your blog Rob. You are taking some great pix.

BRAVO, Robo! Been thinking of you and am so glad you made it up the hill OK. Was it not glorious? Was it not harder than.....??
Take it easy down the hills in the next few days, especially into Zubiri....that one's a challenge in every way.

good advice.....

I was looking at the brieley guide, at the elevations. Tomorrow just to viskarret. Then the next day just to Zubiri. Rain is expected, so I think after the steep descent I'll take a halt...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
good advice.....

I was looking at the brieley guide, at the elevations. Tomorrow just to viskarret. Then the next day just to Zubiri. Rain is expected, so I think after the steep descent I'll take a halt...
You can always walk down on the verges of the N135 road to Zubiri. A good place to join the N135 is after the Alto de Erro where the camino crosses the road.
Good luck and Buen camino!

Buen camino Robo! Great news.
I may have missed it but I can't see any answer to your question much earlier about over the counter pain killers in Spain. Should you need some, they sell Ibuprofeno 600 in any farmacia.

Will now go and read your blog :)

mspath knows her stuff...a very good idea; wish I'd done that. But not liking roads and thinking it couldn't be that bad...
Well, 4 Black toenails and 2 angry ankles later, it set me up for the next day which was the most painful one of the whole journey.
And you need more injury like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick....
(Oh, and edit, after seeing domigee's post. Also try over the counter diclofenac gel. Topical...it's magic. Used it on my achilles every night; it's magic.)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back