• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

23 days to walk Camino Frances in May

Mazzy

Insufferable pedant
Time of past OR future Camino
(2019) May 12 Camino Frances
I bought a Village to Village guide with the numbered days of walking the entirety. Between flying from NZ to Madrid to begin and getting back to Madrid for my homeward flight leaves me 23 days of walking. I had wanted desperately to start in SJPDP and booked and paid for my first night at Orisson but realistically, looking at the map I have to come up with another plan. Walking from Pamplona and then missing the section between Burgos and Astorga would probably give me enough days to then finish in Santiago, although I would miss the meseta bit which I was looking forward to. :-( I know I can come back another time to finish those sections but I want to make the most of every day while I'm here. I want to make a plan I'm happy with but I clearly need help from the experts! So can you help me out please?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mazzy, It is a pity you will miss Leon. I spent two days there last time and will probably do the same again this June when I will be there with my daughter. You will save three days by starting at Pamplona and probably another ten between Burgos and Astorga so you should be OK to get to Santiago. I am in Feilding PM if you want a chat. Buen Camino

I would start closer to Santiago so that I could have one continuous walk. If you started in Burgos you should have plenty of time, and if you have some extra days you can continue on to Finisterre. Either that or start in St Jean and walk as far as you can, and return another year to finish.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would start closer to Santiago so that I could have one continuous walk. If you started in Burgos you should have plenty of time, and if you have some extra days you can continue on to Finisterre. Either that or start in St Jean and walk as far as you can, and return another year to finish.

I second that emotion.

Buen camino.

Hi Mazzy, It is a pity you will miss Leon. I spent two days there last time and will probably do the same again this June when I will be there with my daughter. You will save three days by starting at Pamplona and probably another ten between Burgos and Astorga so you should be OK to get to Santiago. I am in Feilding (06 3238111) if you want a chat. Buen Camino

Thanks Old Kiwi - you're very kind. I'll definitely give you a call :)

Thanks Trecile. Yes I get that it would be nice to walk continuously especially given the whole 'camino family' thinking too. I'm feeling pretty torn about it tbh. Of course I could just start in St Jean and see where the wind blows me to. I guess the compostela doesn't expire does it. :)

Or, you could stay flexible and go with the flow. Start in SJPDP and overnight in Orisson as planned, and then see what adventures befall you. Let it just happen. I was part of a camino family into Burgos, where two of the group hired bicycles and cycled to Leon. We stayed in touch and they had a great time, but were now several days ahead of us. They soon met others when they started walking again from Leon. P.S. We have since walked the Norte and parts of the Portuguese together :D.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes jsalt - this idea kind of resonates with me. I'm thinking I might do all the first part, especially starting off at SJPDP as this is something I always thought about. And I've paid for my night at Orisson already. A good excuse to come back and finish the camino later x

A lot of folks start at St. Jean Pied de Port and walk as far as time permits. They return another time to pick up where they left off.

The credencial never expires. Many folks will present a credencial with several sets of sellos (stamps) reflecting several years effort. As long as you actually walk the final 100 km into Santiago on any recognized route you qualify for the Compostela (Latin certificate).

The key thing with the credencial is that it must document your continuous progress along a recognized Camino route over time. So, you could start at SJPdP in 2019, and end at Santiago in 2020 or even 2021.

In this multi-year example, you might have walked from SJPdP to Leon, then returned home. Then returned another year to finish the distance to Santiago. You could even have a break or one or more years in between your Camino segments.

SJPdP to Leon is about three weeks, more or less. Leon into Santiago is about two weeks, more or less. I am using Leon as an example as it has excellent transit connections to Madrid. Consult www.Rome2Rio.com or the app for the various ways of getting around.

This is, of course easier for our European friends. Those of us coming from other continents have to invest more time, expense and effort to get to and from our starting and ending points. Usually we just make the sacrifices then do it. But, everyone's situation is different. The Camino will always be there waiting your return.

If you do this, I recommend using an Open Jaw flight model. Fly into Paris, take the train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne, then the TER regional train to SJPdP. Then when you stop walking, take a train, bus, or plane (if available) back to Madrid, then fly home from there.

The Open Jaw is your home airport to Paris, and Madrid back to your home airport. See the open jaw to the travel triangle? This is a popular but little known, and not publicized, 'secret' in the air travel industry. The tickets do not usually cost more, and it can be a big time and cost saver for the traveler.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've updated my original post with the following:

One thing to consider if you want to do the camino under your power but don't have enough time to walk the whole way is to rent a bicycle for the meseta section.

In Burgos (and maybe even earlier in Logrono) you can rent bikes to be returned in Leon or Astorga. Burgos and Astorga are end points of the meseta where the Camino Frances runs. Roughly, they are 240 kilometers apart (that's 150 miles) and that should be able to be biked in four days, maybe three. Brierley's guidebook suggests 10 days to walk this distance so this could shave a week off the time you need to do your camino.

There are a number of places where you can rent. Here are some links I've collected (but the list may not be complete):
Some other thoughts:

Original post: It is possible to rent a bike in Burgos and return it in Leon or Astorga. Brierley's guide suggests 10 days from Burgos to Astorga and it may be possible to bike it in three days. The distance is about 230 km (145 miles).

Last edited:
I bought a Village to Village guide with the numbered days of walking the entirety. Between flying from NZ to Madrid to begin and getting back to Madrid for my homeward flight leaves me 23 days of walking. I had wanted desperately to start in SJPDP and booked and paid for my first night at Orisson but realistically, looking at the map I have to come up with another plan. Walking from Pamplona and then missing the section between Burgos and Astorga would probably give me enough days to then finish in Santiago, although I would miss the meseta bit which I was looking forward to. :-( I know I can come back another time to finish those sections but I want to make the most of every day while I'm here. I want to make a plan I'm happy with but I clearly need help from the experts! So can you help me out please?

Mazzy:

Remember a guide is just that a guide. Start like you planned in SJPdP and stay in Orisson. After that just go with the flow. The CF can be walked easily in far fewer days than the guides suggest. I have walked as few as 20 km's and as many as 50 KM's. on the Meseta. If you want to skip an area, I would suggest the big cities. Most of the time it is a pretty industrial walk (in particular Burgos).

That said, part of your journey might be to visit these cities. You will also lose the continuity of a camino family by skipping any portion of the CF.

I like continuity in my walks. That would cause one to lean towards a SJPdP start and walk till you have to leave or a start somewhere like Logrono or Burgos and walk through to Santiago. Since you are flying into Madrid, I would recommend you do the latter.

Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the best one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Mazzy, It looks like the Camino Family has come up with quite a few practical suggestions. The hard part is deciding what will suit you. Just by-the-by, when I last walked three years ago, I stayed at Orisson and formed friendships that lasted for quite a distance along the way until I out-walked them. The dinner at Orisson was a great night. The dining room was full and the tradition is that everyone stands and introduces themselves and says why they are walking the Camino. Being a Kiwi I sang a Waiata and then a Maori song. There was a group of about ten Germans there and they were part of a choir back home. They sang to us so beautifully that there probably wasn't a dry eye in the place. I only mention this as an example of what can and does happen on the Camino but I particularly enjoyed Orisson and it was a good way to start. This June My daughter and I will be going from St Jean and over the hill in one day.
Buen Camino

One more thing - if you decide to start in St Jean, and walk as far as you can, think about how you will feel saying goodbye to the pilgrims that you meet along the way that will continue their journey to Santiago, while you go home. I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong way to start/end, but you do need to think about how you will feel. Will you be sad not to finish with your fellow pilgrims, or will you just look forward to returning to finishing in Santiago another time.

Another vote to that option. St Jean is a lovely city, but it is just an arbitrary starting point that became famous, not an official start. I would feel much more gutted for NOT finishing in Santiago than for starting somewhere else in my first Camino.

(which coincidentally started in Burgos)

And I cant stress enough what @jpflavin1 also said: a guide is just a guide, you don't have to follow the daily stages. Actually, in the beginning, you shouldn't follow it until you have a realistic feel of how many kms you can walk in a day.

I remember carefully planning 20-25km stages for my 1st camino... Ditched the plan on the first day of walk, when by 16km I was tired and afraid to keep walking, as I didn't know what time it would get dark. I stopped in a random inn by the road and met an Aussie dude that - who would imagine - works with my husband.

Think more on what you want to achieve and to experience than about the kms nd cities. There is plenty of structure along the Camino frances for you to adjust in the flight.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Another vote to that option. St Jean is a lovely city, but it is just an arbitrary starting point that became famous, not an official start. I would feel much more gutted for NOT finishing in Santiago than for starting somewhere else in my first Camino.

(which coincidentally started in Burgos)

And I cant stress enough what @jpflavin1 also said: a guide is just a guide, you don't have to follow the daily stages. Actually, in the beginning, you shouldn't follow it until you have a realistic feel of how many kms you can walk in a day.

I remember carefully planning 20-25km stages for my 1st camino... Ditched the plan on the first day of walk, when by 16km I was tired and afraid to keep walking, as I didn't know what time it would get dark. I stopped in a random inn by the road and met an Aussie dude that - who would imagine - works with my husband.

Think more on what you want to achieve and to experience than about the kms nd cities. There is plenty of structure along the Camino frances for you to adjust in the flight.

Buen Camino!

Too true. I have to be practical. I know people get to love their camino families and it's hard to say goodbye etc but I have to think about the fact it's my big trip and it's all about me! More and more I'm being drawn to the idea of starting in Burgos on 13 May and then walking the whole distance. If that worked out I would spend my birthday in Villafranca - (not sure if that's a good thing or not!) It's still almost 500kms and I would get my compostela :) I've paid for my night in Orisson but I'm a bit torn. At least I have until May to nut it out :)

Too true. I have to be practical. I know people get to love their camino families and it's hard to say goodbye etc but I have to think about the fact it's my big trip and it's all about me! More and more I'm being drawn to the idea of starting in Burgos on 13 May and then walking the whole distance. If that worked out I would spend my birthday in Villafranca - (not sure if that's a good thing or not!) It's still almost 500kms and I would get my compostela :) I've paid for my night in Orisson but I'm a bit torn. At least I have until May to nut it out :)
Villafranca is great! If you start in Burgos you will get to experience the Meseta, Cruz de Ferro, O Cebreiro, etc. And get your Compostela. Perhaps you can donate your Orisson reservation to another pilgrim.

I would LOVE to do that!! How best to donate the night?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps you can donate your Orisson reservation to another pilgrim.

I was going to say the same!
You can always send them an email and explain the situation, I suppose. They are not the quickest to respond, though. Other pilgrims will probably have other ideas.

Villafranca is lovely, and it has a church dedicated to Santiago. But really, anywhere you are on that day will be special and probably different from any other birthday :)

come back another time to finish

Get as far as Leon if you can , enjoying every day to the maximum and return , Spain is a great country to visit as well as walk.
You will regret leaving out sections when you arrive in SDC ,

I know people get to love their camino families
Mazzy , 300,000 people walk it each year , what have we got mate 60,000 families ?
Forget the "Camino Family" its a myth ,
Go and have a great walk in your own space at your own pace. You will have more than enough company each day / night.

Last edited:
I took plane on 14.05.2018 to Madrid and same day to Pamplona, started from there on 15.05.2018. and arrived in Santiago at 13.05.2018. I could do it in less days but my friend couldnt walk faster. It can be done in 23 days and if not you can use bus on some part if you see that you are falling behind. From Santiago you can take plain or train to Madrid as I did. Its fast and comfortable.
For me its much better solution to do it completly then to have starting point in SJPdP and Its not a problem if you take a bus on some short distances to finish it on time.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I guess it depends what is important to you. Starting in SJPP and walking over the Pyranees was so beautiful and that first night in Orisson was a a great welcome to the Camino lifestyle. Being limited with time I would pick out the best bits and bus it in between. Excellent transport services over there and not expensive. I would hate to have missed Pamplona and Burgos, so much to see, so beautiful! If it is important to you to do a continual walk then you won’t be happy to skip the not so interesting bits. You will always make new friends along the way, even when you skip bits. Your choice.

Or, you could stay flexible and go with the flow. Start in SJPDP and overnight in Orisson as planned, and then see what adventures befall you. Let it just happen. I was part of a camino family into Burgos, where two of the group hired bicycles and cycled to Leon. We stayed in touch and they had a great time, but were now several days ahead of us. They soon met others when they started walking again from Leon. P.S. We have since walked the Norte and parts of the Portuguese together :D.
There you go, rent a bike across the Meseta, so that you get some of that experience and finish on foot in plenty of time!

Hi Mazzy,

Whatever you decide will be good.

There are lots of great recommendations here. I particularly like the bike across the Meseta idea and might try that one myself if I return. I faced a similar dilemma when I hiked CF a couple of years ago. I had a total of 28 days, and wanted to walk from SJPP to Finisterre. I found a sample "fast" Camino agenda online and tried to stick to it. This resulted in a lot of frustration, some pretty torn up feet and a forced rest day in Los Arcos. After that I abandoned my goal, and suddenly everything became much more enjoyable and much more meaningful.

In the end, I took the train from Sahagun to Ponferrada, and a then taxi back to Foncabadon. So, I was able to start in SJPP and cross the Pyrenees, which was an important part of the Camino for me. I saw about half of the Meseta and got to know what that was about, I got to see Cruz de Ferro, which was an emotional high point for me. I got to walk into Santiago, which was frankly a bit of a let-down, but you can't not do that. And, I got to finish in Finisterre, which was amazing. The subsequent year, I returned and finished the walk from Sahagun to Ponferrada (I'm a bit compulsive about finishing things... we all have our pathologies).

Ultimately, I met all my personal goals, and taking the extra time absolutely changed the entire experience for the better. My advice to you is to identify what is important to you, and make sure you fit those experiences in, but, leave yourself time and flexibility to add experiences which prospectively might not seem important. You will find that perspectives and priorities shift as you walk West.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from SJPdP to Fisterra in 23 days so I can definately be done. Of course it probably wont give you much down-time to go sightseeing and spend extra days in the Big cities - however I didn’t feel rushed or anything. In fact, I didn’t understand most other people who only walked few hours a day and then spend so much time in the albergues or in cafes, Or surfing facebook. But it all depends on what your purpose of the trips is, is it to walk, to sightsee, or to socialise.

Walking fro SJPdP to burgos and then Astorga to Santiago should be very doable in 23 days IMO. Then you wont miss the “start” of the camino or the pyrenese, which is a really special part of the CF. However, if you have found a group you’ll probably have to say goodbye earlier than you will like too. And while you can always come back it wont be the same as doing it all at once, or coming back to finish where you left of because you ran out of time. I haven’t really heard of anybody going back just to walk to meseta (although I really enjoyed the first half of it).

If I had 23 days I would probably walk until I ran out of time and then come back later. But I know people who were very happy to do the above mentioned plan. Their main goal was to get to Santiago, while still seeing the best part of the camino.

Edit: however you being from NZ it might not be as easy just to come back another year. For the same reason you might also want to plan for more days to explore the Big cities. So take that into account, when defining your purpose/goal for walking the camino. The CF today is so much about socializing for many people, that if you want to take fully part in this rituale you might not be able to walk as much as planned.

Last edited:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How about starting in Burgos That would give you the time. I done Camino Frances 3 times, it's not essential to start from stjpdp, yes it's nice but only if you have the time. Good luck

Hi Mazzy,
Not sure if you made up your mind yet, but thought I would chime in since last year I walked from Burgos to Santiago in 20 days. I loved the meseta and Leon, which you would miss. I did not stay in Astoria, but walked just past it to stay in the next small village. Also, I agree with what a few other said about one continuous walked. The experience builds as each day passes. Maybe you wouldn't want to interrupt that.
Good luck with your planning.
Lynne

I walked SJPdP to Santiago last May in 35 days of walking. Took 2 rest days--1 in Burgos, 1 in Leon. Burgos to Santiago took me 23 days. I am a 60-something reasonably fit woman. With some training at home you can likely walk Burgos to SanDiego in that time. The Mesata was wonderful and I wouldn't Have missed it! Buen Camino whatever you decide!

Hi there, I’m Andrea and I will travel from Sydney to Madrid and from Madrid a bus straight to Pamplona. So I’ll start in Pamplona my Camino.
I have only 22 days to finish it and I won’t miss the Meseta at all. I’ll start the 29th of April and I’ll finish the 21th of May and I’ll fly back the 22th of may.
You have a few days more than me, which is good. I don’t know how fit you are but if you want, you can walk between 20 km to 39km a day.
I more than happy to show you my itinerary if interested.

Let me know

Ciao ciao

Hi there, I’m Andrea and I will travel from Sydney to Madrid and from Madrid a bus straight to Pamplona. So I’ll start in Pamplona my Camino.
I have only 22 days to finish it and I won’t miss the Meseta at all. I’ll start the 29th of April and I’ll finish the 21th of May and I’ll fly back the 22th of may.
You have a few days more than me, which is good. I don’t know how fit you are but if you want, you can walk between 20 km to 39km a day.
I more than happy to show you my itinerary if interested.

Let me know

Ciao ciao
Thank you so much! I'd love to see your itinerary x

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pamplona to Lorca 37.9
Lorca to Los Arcos 30.5
Los arcos to Logrono 28.5
Logrono to Azofra 35.5
Azofra to Beldorado 39
Beldorado to Atapurca 30.7
Atapurca to Burgos 20.2
Burgos to Hontanas 32.1
Hontanas to Proclation de campos 38.8
Proclamation de campos to Caldizza de cuere 33.6
Caldizza to El Burgos ranero 41.1
El Burgos Ranero to Leon 38.5
Leon to Hospital de Obrigo 32.9
Hospital de Obrigo to Rabanal de Camino 38.2
Rabanal de Camino to Ponferrada 33.3
Ponferrada to Trabadelo 33.3
Trbadelo to Fonfria 31.1
Fronfia to Sarria 34.8
Sarria to Castromaior 32.6
Castromaior to Melide 31
Melide to A Rúa (Arco de Pino) 32.8
A Rùa (Arco de Pino) to Santiago 21.2

This is my itinerary 😉
I know someone will agree with it and someone else not, but the Camino is something very personal so no judgment 😜

Looking forward to hear from you guys

Unless you are just dead set on walking every step you could save a day by skipping the walk into Leon. There is not much to miss there in my opinion.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
you can walk between 20 km to 39km a day.

I wish you well Andy , very doable as STJPP can be the killer.
Personally only shin and knees will cause you problems , nature is another matter
RJ is correct .........if a part has to be missed time wise a day can be saved walking into Leon.

Pamplona to Lorca 37.9
Lorca to Los Arcos 30.5
Logrono to Azofra 35.5
Azofra to Beldorado 39
Atapurca to Burgos 20.2
Burgos to Hontanas 32.1
Trbadelo to Fonfria 31.1
Fronfia to Sarria 34.8
Castromaior to Melide 31

This is my itinerary 😉
I know someone will agree with it and someone else not, but the Camino is something very personal so no judgment 😜

Absolutely no judgement here. But perhaps a bit of advice?

I'm not sure if this is your first camino or how much walking experience you have. Maybe you've just completed the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Coast Trail and the Camino looks to be a walk in the park to you. In that case, by all means proceed as planned.

But if this is your first camino and you haven't done a lot of distance walking, I would do a lot of training before tackling an itinerary like that. Build yourself up at home to the point where you can comfortable walk 30+km a day, under full load, preferably with some hills, for at least four consecutive days.

Alternatively, or as well, have a back up plan in case things don't go as planned. I'm not saying those distances aren't doable. People have done them. People have also done themselves in pushing like that - with excessive blisters, shin splints, stress fractures, or other medical issues.

If that's the itinerary you want - go for it! It's your Camino not mine. But Caminos don't always go as planned. Don't let that throw you for a loop. I just want you to be as successful as possible.

Pamplona to Lorca 37.9
Lorca to Los Arcos 30.5
Logrono to Azofra 35.5
Azofra to Beldorado 39
Atapurca to Burgos 20.2
Burgos to Hontanas 32.1
Trbadelo to Fonfria 31.1
Fronfia to Sarria 34.8
Castromaior to Melide 31

This is my itinerary 😉

I think that would be a little ambitious for me to be honest. I don't have that degree of fitness! I'll just start off in Burgos and see how I go day by day. I wouldn't be worried if I had to taxi here and there :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that would be a little ambitious for me to be honest. I don't have that degree of fitness! I'll just start off in Burgos and see how I go day by day. I wouldn't be worried if I had to taxi here and there :)
Great approach , day by day .
Your first week will be up early , avoiding the ones that are warmed up by then and keeping the distances manageable until your are comfortable in yourself.
After starting on the Meseta you could be disappointed in the last 25km into Leon.
The bus is a very popular way from that area.
From there on there will be no need , just take your time and enjoy.
Buen Camino Mazzy.

Great approach , day by day .
Your first week will be up early , avoiding the ones that are warmed up by then and keeping the distances manageable until your are comfortable in yourself.
After starting on the Meseta you could be disappointed in the last 25km into Leon.
From there on there will be no need , just take your time and enjoy.
Buen Camino Mazzy.
Thanks very much. Point taken about Leon too!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The section from Leon to Virgin de Camino too. Often this last section is suggested to be done by bus. I wish we had done it that way

We had terrible road works 10 years ago and were advised Bus Number 1 to Virgin.
This was the advice from every place of accommodation in Leon , people who failed to take heed ended up in Mazariffe around 3pm ........not in good shape mentally.

@AndyTomas it is basically all suburbia, along roads. I try not to catch buses, but my exception is suburban buses in cities. Which I find (in my Little Book of Rules) to be quite acceptable from time to time. And Virgin de Camino is on the León suburban bus route. Although I quite enjoy walking through suburbia, if time was limited I would do this.

@AndyTomas it is basically all suburbia, along roads. I try not to catch buses, but my exception is suburban buses in cities. Which I find (in my Little Book of Rules) to be quite acceptable from time to time. And Virgin de Camino is on the León suburban bus route. Although I quite enjoy walking through suburbia, if time was limited I would do this.
Ok fair enough. Maybe I’ll do it with bus Ahahahah never know!

I will never forget our walk into Leon. It was hot. It was long. It was hard. However, just when I most needed it there was a table with bananas and cold drinks nestled in ice. An unattended donativo table. It was like it was dropped from heaven. If I had taken the bus I would have missed that.

It is a matter of opinion and circumstances. I wouldnt want to skip a single day but if I was short on time the walk in Leon is one I would trade before just about any other(unless I'm forgetting one from a later stage). It is not about it being horrible. A lot of the camino has to do with whom you walk and perhaps the weather :p so skipping a rainy day is also a viable option. All about your intuition!

Why this section has been suggest to be done by bus?

Andy:

I think that recommendation is based on old information. There used to be a dangerous bridge you had to cross. This situation has been remedied.

Ultreya,
Joe

Or, you could stay flexible and go with the flow....I was part of a camino family into Burgos, where two of the group hired bicycles and cycled to Leon.

I also cycled this stretch, and thought it was a great adventure! This approach might also give you an extra week to see more of the Camino, including the Meseta. More info on my experience here. Buen Camino!

Hey I'm starting from Burgos in early May and am giving myself 21 days which is a pretty steady/doable pace I think.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back