• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 24 Walking With Aliens

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
24 April 2015 - Arzua to Lavacolla -- 29 Kms

10 KMs from Santiago -- Very Hard To Believe! - Will meet up with Martina tomorrow -- Really looking forward to that -- has been a crazy day in a lot of ways -- first -- Yep -- rained on and off for a good majority of the time -- not a buzz kill -- but just, will, not real fun - just call me Cowboy Bob.

So awhile back I mentioned my issue with breaking the toothpaste container and putting the toothpaste in a snack bag -- well -- did not work out as I had hoped -- at least I was able to scrape some toothpaste out of the toiletry kit to take care of the ivories until I finally broke down and bought some more toothpaste -- yep -- gave up a beer for toothpaste -- that is dental hygiene dedication if you ask me.

On today's walk I ran into so many interesting and in some cases different people -- at one point I thought I was at a Pokemon Convention -- different colored ponchos, bright colored tennis shoes, umbrellas and yes -- lots of spandex -- truly felt I was at the old Star Wars Bar Scene all day -- entertaining to say the least.

I had this thought -- that the last part of the El Camino would be, I don't know, easy -- was not as easy as I had hoped -- there are some pretty good upgrades to hump and same with downhill treks -- lots of folks are working there way to the last Albergue (5 km out from Santiago) for an easy walk into the City tomorrow -- not me -- Embrace The Suck one last time -- but actually, did not want to sleep in an Albergue -- yep -- spoiled.

Ran into some Germans from Mannheim -- they were with the Fire Department -- How did I know -- they were wearing their full fire fighting kit to include helmet and oxygen tanks -- they had started their Camino from St. Jean on 21 March -- got to hand it to them-- very unique and they were very cool guys! Told them that Martina was also a Hessen -- they thought that was pretty cool -- the Fire Dudes will not arrive in Santiago until Sunday, so not sure if we will get to see them before we head back to Brussels.

So I get to the Hostel San Paio - two stars -- but who cares -- I have an option -- with my remaining CampSuds -- I can wash my socks, t-shirt, etc.. or I could pour it all in the bathtub and soak in it -- chose the latter -- good call as far as I am concern -- Martina may challenge that call when she sniffs me tomorrow -- but for now, was in heaven.

Ok -- so ran out of deodorant a few days ago -- not wanting to go completely European -- I decided to buy some more -- in some little shop in the middle of nowhere, I am looking through the options and really do not recognize anything that looks like men's deodorant -- so go for some women's deodorant -- you know the roll on stuff -- anyways after a few days I get to thinking is this really deodorant or is it a female hygiene product --for the life of me, cannot figure it out -- but I do feel fresh!

Am sure tomorrow will be an emotional Rollie Coaster -- I look back and do not know how I actually got up and down some of those Big Ass Mountains -- I still remember the first day suck -- and thinking -- holy crap -- I'm screwed -- but with a couple of hours of hiking left -- it seems absolutely surreal - and -- Yep -- Grew My First Beard!

Grogan Out

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry that your journey is almost at an end. I will greatly miss your daily posts! Even started to read them to the people at work :) Everyone loves them!! Hope you had as great a time as I did. Almost 2 years since we walked, and I still get on this forum almost every day to see what's new :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you for your posts, I have enjoyed them so much! I hope you and Martina have a great time in Santiago.
Best regards and again Thank you.

Your updates are awesome! May you always carry the spirit of the camino with you.

Grogan, I have really enjoyed reading your daily postings.
Thank you so much.
AND well done!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back