• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Paul, sounds like ur pretty much set. I went over ur list. Here's what I would not take, or take in a diff version. This is all so personal!!! Contrast it from what fellow pilgrims will suggest. In the end u'll know best. Remember, what u take in excess u may leave or ship home, what u'll need on the Camino u can buy there. Suggest to get a pole or walking stick in SJ or anywhere else along the Chemin. Buen camino, peregrino, xm 8)

Take a smaller backpack: 30 L

Poncho NIX

trouser-zip offs- Regatta, 40, TAKE 2

Socks,TAKE 3 WOOL

Hat- NIX-buy a straw one at SJ or along the Camino, better for the heat (u'd look more like a peregrino!).

waterproof trousers: NIX

Sandals- hi-tec,24-NIX, take TEVAS or inexpensive RUBBER sandals (u'll be using them to take showers, should dry fast).

3 T-shirts - take 2, synthetic materials, cotton weights 2 much/takes 2 long to dry

ABSOLUTELY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COTTON!!! :lol:

3 underwear-synthetic materials

1 towel- take: travel 1,very light. Worth the expense. NIX normal towels, NIX normal all (!).

fleece jacket-NIX, take a lt parka

Platyypus hydration system. NIX, keep buying plastic water bottles as u walk. And remember, do not litter, The Camino and the Forum Secret Police will be foll u!

shorts-NIX, take two zip pants as suggested.

some form of blister prevention/cure..havent got a clue yet!! NIX-I'd wait and see what happens.

half roll of toilet paper - NIX

needle and thread for blisters??? NIX

I recommend the toilet paper-half a roll weighs nothing and if you need it-you really need it.No to the waterproof trousers.I suggest a hard soap for hair,shaving and clothes washing-it will last a lot longer than gel. I do not recommend disposable razors as they are very low quality. I took a good quality blade (quattro-one of those 4 blades in one) and it lasted 42 days without making me look like Freddy Kruger had shaved me.Deodorant-forget it-as for face cream!!
I like the floppy sun hats because they are easy to bend to cover neck ect which is not so easy with a rigid hat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dunno how it happened but I got into buying washing machine tabs in Spain (4 in an 80 cent pack) which I squeezed into a small plastic bag, really nice for washing clothes + smelling (important) GOOD! Like the feeling of showering with a bar of soap ... as for deodorant, been using a Spanish brand called "Billy's," not bad, but am due for a change. Best, xm 8)

There are two major problems with cotton. First, if it gets wet while you're wearing it, you'll be very very cold. Wet synthetic fabric (or wool)is warmer for some reason. Cotton also takes a long time to dry. Synthetics dry much faster, which matters when you're washing things by hand. I'd go with synthetic clothes if at all possible.

Two pairs of good hiking socks are probably enough. You really only need two sets of clothes -- one to wash, one to wear. Two t-shirts, two pairs of slacks or shorts, two pairs of socks.

You definitely don't need a real towel. It's too heavy and bulky. And imagine how heavy it will be if it ever gets accidently soaked. But yes, the camping towels can be expensive. I used a bandana as a towel. It more or less works to dry off after a shower, takes up almost no space, and costs almost nothing.

I like the hydration systems, but that's a personal preference. I love my camelback. Since it can be hard to tell how much water you have left with a hydration system, I usually also carried a half liter bottle of water -- just in case.

I used shampoo for everything - soap, shampoo, washing clothes. I took a small bottle (about 3 ounces) and refilled it every few days. It worked for me.

I'd second xm on going with a smaller bag so you won't be tempted to take too much stuff. Mine was advertised as a "day and a half pack" and worked just fine for nearly a month and a half. And I saw (and envied) people with even smaller packs.

I took a fancy synthetic hat that worked for both sun and rain and was glad to have it. And, unlike straw, you can dunk it in a fountain on a hot day and put it back on wet. Very nice.

But, as you said, people surely used to make this trip with just the clothes they were wearing, a hat, some sandals, and maybe something to carry water. As I see it, everything else is optional. :)

Buen camino!

And, unlike straw, you can dunk it in a fountain on a hot day and put it back on wet. Very nice.

:lol: u have no idea how many times I've done (and plan to do) that with my straw (LOVE IT!) hat! Best, from the humble pilgrim with the straw hat, xm 8)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gidday, look ive been walking 10 days now, thrown out some and sent on some but this is what iv ended up with:

Pack(obviously)
Lightweight sleeping bag
Silk sleeping bag liner
Sent boots on and bought lighter walking shoes (solomon goretex)
3 pair wool socks
2 T-shirts
1 singlet(usually where this on trail)
Goosedown jacket (equivalent of polarfleece)
Jandals
First Aid Kit
Shorts
Waterproof Pants(used as trousers if needed)
Parka
Boardshorts(for swimming)
Lightweight towel
Toiletries(soap, toothbrush, paste, hand sanitizer)
Belt and Leatherman

Nothing more and nothing left, itd guess its about 6kgs and it hurts my back not a bit, if anything id pring a poncho instead of the parka to save a little weight, this probably isnt any help but i hope it is, cheers

Hi Kiwirich.
Thanks for posting the itemized list of what you are carrying. We are working on minimizing the load for our August 24 start from Roncesvalles, and your info helps. To clarify, what is a Leatherman? Also what about undershorts/briefs?
Thanks and buen camino.

Kevin

Also what about undershorts/briefs?

Hi NB. My suggestions: take 2 undershorts made of dry-fast/polyester (or likewise) material, and a couple of zip pants that turn into shorts. ABSOLUTELY NO COTTON(nothing against the industry)? Best, xm 8)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check out a place like "Bed Bath & Beyond" if you have those in Ireland. I found an Aquus towel (for drying hair) there that is very light & dries quickly.

xm has a thing against cotton, however, some of us have to have cotton undies, so I brought 2. (and the times that I did laundry in the sink, the cotton dried quicker than the wicked stuff) Next time, I´ll bring 3. I´ll be getting the "Army undies" from REI since the Hanes ones fell apart. :shock: Bought replacements in Spain. Ever bought ladies undies from a GUY??? :oops:

I ended up with 2 shirts, 2 bras, 1 pr short pànts, 1 pr long pants, fleece jacket, several prs of socks (mostly liner socks) & only 2 pr Smart Wool Socks. Next time, I´ll get another pr of the Smart Wool & bring another shirt so I can do 2 days´ worth of laundry at a whack.

Next time, I´ll add a lightweight long sleeved shirt/jacket to keep the sun off my arms.

When I get home, I´ll do an inventory of what I ended up with in my bag (toiletries included).

dg

xm has a thing against cotton

:lol: I cracked up re: "this thing." U got a point there, peregrina! Buen Camino, xm 8) :lol:

Thanks xm and Wolverine.

I'm learning to love polyester. (all polyester, all the time!) To clarify, do you wear one pr. of undershorts and carry two? Or do you wear one, carry one?
BTW xm, what you call a fannybag (FB), we call a fanny pack here in Canada. I thought you'd like this from Wikipedia:

"FannyPack are an electro/miami booty bass-rap group that consist of singers/rappers Jessibel Suthiwong, Cat Hartwell and Belinda Lovell along with producers/DJs Matt Goias (AKA Big Black Matt) and Fancy, all from New York City."

and this:

"The fanny pack, (US) belt pack,(US) hip pack(UK), or bum bag(UK), (Australia) is a small fabric pouch secured with a zipper and worn at the waist by a strap around the hips. Fanny packs are used by travelers and were more popular during the 1990s. They can be slung either forward, side or to the rear of the wearer.

Fanny packs are today often considered unfashionable. Weird Al Yankovic, for instance, mocks the wearing of fanny packs in his song "White & Nerdy." Fanny packs have been stigmatized as being worn mostly by unsophisticated tourists, who are often on package tours.[citation needed]

Nevertheless, bum-bags are currently considered to be highly fashionable in Central Europe, particularly in Hungary.'

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_pack"

Buen Camino,

Kevin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Kevin,

To clarify, do you wear one pr. of undershorts and carry two? Or do you wear one, carry one?

Wear 1, carry 2.

A fannybag, for me is:"The fanny pack, (US) belt pack,(US) hip pack(UK), or bum bag(UK), (Australia) is a small fabric pouch secured with a zipper and worn at the waist by a strap around the hips. Fanny packs are used by travelers and were more popular during the 1990s. They can be slung either forward, side or to the rear of the wearer. Fanny packs are today often considered unfashionable. Weird Al Yankovic, for instance, mocks the wearing of fanny packs in his song "White & Nerdy." Fanny packs have been stigmatized as being worn mostly by unsophisticated tourists, who are often on package tours.[citation needed] Nevertheless, bum-bags are currently considered to be highly fashionable in Central Europe, particularly in Hungary.'

:lol: That's me...an unfashionable & unsophisticated peregrino with a following of Central Europeans of good taste, particularly Hungarians!

When am walking I usually put my camera + small writing book/pen in it. When I take a shower I put all my valuables (passport + cc) in the FB and don't let it out of my sight. At night, filled with the above, I put the FB inside/bottom of my sleeping bag.

Best :lol:

xm 8)

Great advice on the practical use of the fanny pack, xm.
I'm gonna use it as you describe. I usually use my FB to carry camera accessories, battery charger, etc. I'll leave the charger behind and put the camera and valuables in the pack for easy access and security.

Kevin

Hi Kevin. U said: ...use my FB to carry camera accessories, battery charger, etc. This will be the first time I take a digital cam + accesories to the Camino. Do u advise carrying the accesories in the FP, along with the cam? I was thinking of putting the accesories in my backpack, my cam in the FP, while walking. Something else: I suggest u carry ur valuables on ur person at all times, placing ur valuables in the FP only when going to the WC/shower + inside ur sleep bag while sleeping. I have no idea where I picked this last one at, must have seen it in an albergue, somewhere. It does work-so far. Best, xm 8)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
NB Kevin:
A "Leatherman" (named for the inventor rather than a descriptive term) is a multitool combining pliers, knive, screwdriver(s) etc that is worn on the belt.

Jeff 001, thanks for clueing me in on the Leatherman.
I'm just taking a small knife with a blade and a scissors.
xm, I would put the accessories in the backpack and the camera in the FP. I use rechargable batteries, and I think I'll leave the charger behind and take a couple of sets of batteries. If they all run down, I'll buy a set of AA, or maybe see if I can borrow a charger from a fellow peregrino of the technophile persuasion.
I'll carry valuable in my neck pouch and put them in the FB for showering.
Cheers!
Kevin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
NB Kevin, I don´t know what country you are from, but I met several people who had problems with rechargeable batteries. I know I had problems with them before I left, so I tossed them. They just don´t hold a charge. Instead, I bought some Energizer Titanium batteries, & the same pair of batteries have held out for my entire trip. Not so good for the environment, I know, but I didn´t have to worry about my camera dying on me in the middle of nowhere.

dg

hey again, leatherman is just a multipurpose tool, like a swiss army kinife, you can live without it but i use it everyday for random tasks, sorry underwear, yeah like xm says 2 pairs or 3 if you like to clean every 2nd night instead of every nite..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
xm says 2 pairs or 3 if you like to clean every 2nd night instead of every nite..

Well, I like to wash what I walk in, daily: underwear, socks, polyester t-shirts, & trousers-this last one every so often. When I reach an albergue that has a washing machine, I wash ALL, no matter what! :lol: (ain't easy being a member in good standing -cleanliness is next to ... - of the bourgeoise... :p ) Best, xm 8)

kiwirich and xm, thanks for the clarification. My packing list is coming together, thanks to all the good advice here. Trust your camino is going well, kiwi!

dg, thanks for the tip on titanium.

As seems to be the dilemma for many, I'm rethinking my footwear. I was planning to use my Vasque Velocity trail runners (1 lb, 12 oz.), but I'm thinking now they might not be rugged enough.
I'm looking at the Vasque Catalyst with goretex. They are about 8 oz. heavier but are more rugged and mid-cut, as opposed to the lo-cut Velocity. I think they may be a safer bet.
Any advice?
Thanks.

Kevin

Bright Eyes said:
Hi Pablo

Good List! what shops did you buy your gear in?

Hey brights eyes and everyone else,

Thanks for all your replyies...in a bit of a hurry at the moment,so i'll just answer brighteyes...

i used two shops for my gear,so far..Ramblers way,57 Mary strret,Dublin 1...cheap enough stuff,helpful but not too knowledgable staff...if your buying a few things they'll do you some sort of a deal

2.The Great outdoors, Chatam Street(off grafton st.) Dublin 2...very helpul/knowledgable staff..but VERY expensive.. i goy my bag and shoes there but everything else in ramblers way!!

also check out

http://www.mountaineering.ie/links/links1.htm

there is a list of shops etc!

regards,

Paul.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Our his hers and theirs list is in the equipment section of this forum, after having ruthlessly culled it and ended up a very comfortable weight but entirely adequate for our January weather.

[Our his hers and theirs list is in the equipment section of this forum]

Hi Magnara.
I looked in vain for the "lists" you referenced (above). Can you help me find them?
BTW, while searching, I learned a lot from reading your other posts!
Thanks,

Kevin

thanks for that Paul

I was actually in The great outdoors today at lunchtime, checking out the Lowe alpine bags. the guy asked how far I was walking and I told him it would be a trip through france and spain, I couldnt believe it when hesaid "oh the Camino?" :eek: Very Knowledgeable is right!!

Until I decide whether or not to take a tent, there is no point getting a bag just yet.

thanks again

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back