• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

25 and Ready to Roll...But

NorthernLite

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting the Camino Frances on May 10th, 2023
Hello everyone!

Since I was 13 years old the Camino has been a pipe dream. Now, I have the time to do it after a recent transition in my life and I am "carpeing the diem". I start on May 10th, 2023.

It's finally here, I leave next week, I'm all ready, gear has been tested with numerous trial and error walks, and I'm feeling that pre-flight flutter.

EXCEPT, today I decide to poke around the forum and see if I can connect with other pilgrims starting around the same time as me, and what I find is a plethora of writers warning me of dread instead. Imagine my concern when others are telling me to abandon the dream, that I'll have no where to sleep, and that EvErYThInG is booked to the max and there is no hope for me.

Not only is this severely killing the buzz, but it's made me entirely insecure in my travel plans and now I'm just feeling anxiety. Should I be putting stock into any of these comments? Is the Camino still going to be enjoyable? Is it really that big of a deal if I have to rough it in a bush 5 or 6 nights in my sleeping bag, or is that frowned upon?

Please help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Should I be putting stock into any of these comments?
Well, yes, there are lots of valid comments and there are some good lessons on how to cope.

First, however, welcome to the forum!

If you have simply glanced through random threads, you might come away with some impressions that may or may not be accurate for your circumstances. Congratulations on having missed one of the most problematic weekends of the year, for accommodation.

Many generalized statements and worries are not helpful for assessing and dealing with specific circumstances. For one thing, you don't mention where you will start, what time schedule you are working with, and whether you have made any reservations. If you give us that information, we can better answer your questions.

By the way, most people get rather nervous at the last minute. It is quite normal. But once you set foot on the ground, see the first arrow, and take a step, the next steps become obvious.

Hi C,

Thanks for your reply! I'm starting in SJPD, and was advised not to make any reservations beforehand. I've kind of decided to try and rely on the municipal albergues offered for the pilgrims as I'm not too keen on staying in pricey accommodations unless I really need to. For a time schedule, I'm looking at 30-35 days from start to finish, God willing :)
Thanks again!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
was advised not to make any reservations beforehand
It is hard to know what to recommend or advise to anyone. Many of the less expensive albergues do take reservations, but the least cost ones - municipal and parroquial ones, may not.

On the other hand, many people on the forum recommend that you make reservations as far as Pamplona, to get past the starting bottleneck. For example, why not try even now to reserve a bed in Roncesvalles? If you start on May 10, you may also arrive in Pamplona on the weekend. As other threads point out, Pamplona is a party town on weekends and accommodation can be scarce. Those first 3 or 4 days will probably be the most difficult ones for finding accommodation.

In any case, if you are 25 years old and ready to roll, carping the diem and all, you will sort it out on the ground.

Do not let the reports of throngs of pilgrims overflowing the route concern you. The Camino is very fluid and changes from day to day. Also a lot of the story tellers may be embellishing the numbers as well as good old chicken little syndrome.
I've probably got a total of six months of walking the Camino and out of that I would guess 10-15% of the time I made reservations for accommodations in advance. Less if you don't count Santiago or St Jean, which I almost always try and make reservations for due to their constant popularity.
Just relax and enjoy your Camino, remain flexible while on it and patience can indeed be a virtue while walking it.

Thanks for your reply! I'm starting in SJPD, and was advised not to make any reservations beforehand.

Whether or not you should make advance reservations is very dependent on when you are walking. You will be starting at the tail end of the "first two weeks of May" crush. During this time period I do recommend that people book up to or through Pamplona, but if you haven't all is not lost, as there are several albergues in that stretch that don't accept reservations, so if you show up early you should be able to get a bed. Check Gronze.com for information about which places take reservations and which do not. In general the first accommodations listed for each town are the "public" albergues, most of which don't take reservations, but there are exceptions, like Roncesvalles. If you book there I recommend that you book a bed and dinner, but skip the breakfast and picnic lunch.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No, you should not let those panicked nervous nellies deter you. That first week of May that caused all the hand-wringing was a unique situation around a Spanish holiday. Have another look at those threads, and you'll see assorted counter responses to the catastrophic wailing that should give you some comfort.

Keep carpeing the diem.

Hello everyone!

Since I was 13 years old the Camino has been a pipe dream. Now, I have the time to do it after a recent transition in my life and I am "carpeing the diem". I start on May 10th, 2023.

It's finally here, I leave next week, I'm all ready, gear has been tested with numerous trial and error walks, and I'm feeling that pre-flight flutter.

EXCEPT, today I decide to poke around the forum and see if I can connect with other pilgrims starting around the same time as me, and what I find is a plethora of writers warning me of dread instead. Imagine my concern when others are telling me to abandon the dream, that I'll have no where to sleep, and that EvErYThInG is booked to the max and there is no hope for me.

Not only is this severely killing the buzz, but it's made me entirely insecure in my travel plans and now I'm just feeling anxiety. Should I be putting stock into any of these comments? Is the Camino still going to be enjoyable? Is it really that big of a deal if I have to rough it in a bush 5 or 6 nights in my sleeping bag, or is that frowned upon?

Please help.
Walk tall, walk straight and look the world right in the eye!
You have had a dream, now let it come true in the way that is meant to be for you.
You have a money card?
Or a little stash of money?
And grit?
And hope?
Go ahead, buen camino.
If you have to hide in a bush, I will be mightily surprised. 🤡

Yes, I'm setting off on the 9th from SJPDP and similarly have been panicked by some of the comments about busy-ness and booking. I've opted to book SJPDP and the following 2 nights and then play it by ear as I hopefully settle into the rhythm and get a better idea of what my body (and wallet) feels able to do every day. Now I'm worrying about the change in the weather - rain forecast.. And I'm realising basically I'm apprehensive and inevitably will find something to worry about until I'm on my way. I do want to lean back into trusting that all will pan out as it needs to and the camino will provide, whilst balancing with some preparedness. Buen camino - we may well meet on the road - or the bush!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I'm setting off on the 9th from SJPDP and similarly have been panicked by some of the comments about busy-ness and booking. I've opted to book SJPDP and the following 2 nights and then play it by ear as I hopefully settle into the rhythm and get a better idea of what my body (and wallet) feels able to do every day. Now I'm worrying about the change in the weather - rain forecast.. And I'm realising basically I'm apprehensive and inevitably will find something to worry about until I'm on my way. I do want to lean back into trusting that all will pan out as it needs to and the camino will provide, whilst balancing with some preparedness. Buen camino - we may well meet on the road - or the bush!
Maybe I'll see you around Sally!! I'll save you a spot on the ground ahaha

As @trecile mentions, several places don't take reservations, but you may need to stop earlier in the day to snag a bed. Some off stage stops on in the journey to Pamplona include Zurrain and Zibaldica. Both great locations. Or if you are flexible start on Somport and join the flow of pilgrims in Puente la Reina past Pamplona. Good albergue accommodations on this route and fewer people, but pay attention to water fill up points after Jaca.

Hello everyone!

Please help.
Do not listen to all the negativity. Go with your gut feeling, you'll be fine.
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This exact time in 2018 I remember thinking the same thing. I started May24th. The forum was full of advice on booking ahead and high numbers and I was starting to panic. I ended up only booking my first night and once there, everything was fine. I was never in a bed race, I was just going with the flow. I fell in with a group about two weeks in and when we got close to the last 100km, we sat down, found some albergues that we’re off stage, called ahead and booked but probably didn’t need to.
If you can prepare yourself to be just a tiny bit flexible, you’ll be absolutely fine!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.