• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

25 Habits of Successful and Happy People

RobertS26

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, (2013)
Camino Frances, (2014)
Camino Frances, (2015)
The Washington Post summarized a paper on the habits of successful and happy people that was recently published in Psychology magazine. I was struck by how many of these habits directly applied or related to a successful and happy Camino.

1. Savor the moment. Literally stop and smell the roses. When walking the Camino, stop and turn around to see the beautiful sunrise behind you or take off your boots and dip your feet into a cool stream.

2. Meditate daily. Is there anything more hypnotic than the rhythmic sound of gravel crunching beneath your boots on the Meseta?

3. Don't hold grudges. Is there anything more liberating than leaving a small stone at the Cruz de Ferro to symbolize letting go of mistakes and regrets?

4. Spend money on others. One of my best memories on the Camino was walking into a bar filled with pilgrims just before Pedrouzo and telling the owner that everyone drank for free on me for the rest of the afternoon. Soon a guitar appeared and songs were being sang. And then a conga line formed. I don't remember much else after that . . . until my credit card bill arrived. Ouch. But it was worth it.

5. Be busy, but not rushed. Keep making progress during the day, but take time to take pictures or lay on the grass and watch the fluffy clouds slowly moving overhead.

6. Surround yourself with the right people. When choosing a Camino family, find people who like to wake up at the same time, walk the same distances, walk at the same pace, and take the same number of breaks.

7. Don't sweat the small stuff. For me, pilgrims who constantly worried about every little detail and fretted over the possibly of something going wrong were the ones I least wanted to be around.

8. Celebrate other people's success. On my second Camino there was a school teacher from Australia that walked slower than everyone. She usually didn't arrive at our destination until after 6 pm. The best part of the day was loudly celebrating her arrival.

9. Treat everyone with respect and kindness. In other words, do not flip on lights at 5 am and then rustle plastic bags.

10. Be optimistic. Just the thought that there might be a random bar around the next corner makes the next five minutes interesting.

11. Be proactive about relationships. In other words, invest in getting to know others. Be a constructive listener and not a conversation narcissist.

12. Get enough sleep. This of course assumes the bag rustlers and light flippers are proactive about relationships.

13. Spend time in nature. Rather than just walk, actually take in the nature around you. Look at the desert flowers blooming on the Meseta. Smell the corn growing in the fields. Smile at the dairy cattle in Galicia. Absorb your environment.

14. View problems as challenges. The only albergue in town is full? Cool! Check with the bartender down the street to see if there are any rooms to rent in town. Or stop in the church and ask the priest if a pew is available for the evening.

15. Reward yourself. Go ahead, have another dessert.

16. Express gratitude. Let the people of Spain know that you appreciate their hospitality with a gracias to anyone who even smiles in your direction.

17. Dream big. Is there any better way to fall asleep each night than dreaming about that moment of finally standing in front of the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela?

18. Spend time alone. Sure, join a Camino family, but make sure there is an hour or two every day when you walk alone, to meditate, to think, to dream big . . .

19. Don't make excuses. If you are a 5 am plastic bag rustler, please don't say, "I didn't realize that it was that loud," when you get those well deserved dirty looks.

20. Have a growth mindset. Don't let arriving in Santiago de Compostela be the end of your Camino. Make it the beginning of your Camino through life.

21. Spend money on experiences, not material things. You've invested a lot of your time and money into walking the Camino. Don't waste it by spending time shopping or watching videos on your iPhone. Put your phone in your pack and invest time getting to know other pilgrims.

22. Have a morning ritual. Ah, yes . . . tortilla and a Pepsi every morning before hitting the road.

23. Take care of yourself. Routinely check those feet for hotspots before they become blisters.

24. Make use of your character strengths. I'm a criminal defense lawyer, so my character strength of being able to cross examine a witness until they yell, "Okay, I'm making the whole story up!" was not useful on the Camino.

25. Engage in deep, meaningful conversations. My best memories of the Camino are the conversations. I have walked with a record executive that had Bono's cell phone number, a man diagnosed with MS who wanted to take on one last physical challenge before his health began to deteriorate any further, a woman who walked with a pronounced limp to celebrate beating cancer and a stroke at the same time, a woman who walked because she wanted to regain her feeling of security after being assaulted by a stranger six months earlier, and a man who wanted to be a better husband so he walked from SJPP to Santiago to inventory his life. I could go on and on, but you get the point. It's the conversations that last with you.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a criminal defense lawyer, so my character strength of being able to cross examine a witness until they yell, "Okay, I'm making the whole story up!" was not useful on the Camino.

Wow, then you met some seasoned story tellers! :p

Loved the list, thanks for posting it. Your comments are also a lot of fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved this list and agree with all your personal comments and observations...except my morning tortilla is always brought to me with a grande cup of cafe con leche. ;) And I live near many cornfields but didn't know they have a definate smell of thier own. I guess I only smell the roses. Lol.
Well done, Robert!

Last edited:
The Washington Post summarized a paper on the habits of successful and happy people that was recently published in Psychology magazine. I was struck by how many of these habits directly applied or related to a successful and happy Camino.

1. Savor the moment. Literally stop and smell the roses. When walking the Camino, stop and turn around to see the beautiful sunrise behind you or take off your boots and dip your feet into a cool stream.

2. Mediate daily. Is there anything more hypnotic than the rhythmic sound of gravel crunching beneath your boots on the Meseta?

3. Don't hold grudges. Is there anything more liberating than leaving a small stone at the Cruz de Ferro to symbolize letting go of mistakes and regrets?

4. Spend money on others. One of my best memories on the Camino was walking into a bar filled with pilgrims just before Pedrouzo and telling the owner that everyone drank for free on me for the rest of the afternoon. Soon a guitar appeared and songs were being sang. And then a conga line formed. I don't remember much else after that . . . until my credit card bill arrived. Ouch. But it was worth it.

5. Be busy, but not rushed. Keep making progress during the day, but take time to take pictures or lay on the grass and watch the fluffy clouds slowly moving overhead.

6. Surround yourself with the right people. When choosing a Camino family, find people who like to wake up at the same time, walk the same distances, walk at the same pace, and take the same number of breaks.

7. Don't sweat the small stuff. For me, pilgrims who constantly worried about every little detail and fretted over the possibly of something going wrong were the ones I least wanted to be around.

8. Celebrate other people's success. On my second Camino there was a school teacher from Australia that walked slower than everyone. She usually didn't arrive at our destination until after 6 pm. The best part of the day was loudly celebrating her arrival.

9. Treat everyone with respect and kindness. In other words, do not flip on lights at 5 am and then rustle plastic bags.

10. Be optimistic. Just the thought that there might be a random bar around the next corner makes the next five minutes interesting.

11. Be proactive about relationships. In other words, invest in getting to know others. Be a constructive listener and not a conversation narcissist.

12. Get enough sleep. This of course assumes the bag rustlers and light flippers are proactive about relationships.

13. Spend time in nature. Rather than just walk, actually take in the nature around you. Look at the desert flowers blooming on the Meseta. Smell the corn growing in the fields. Smile at the dairy cattle in Galicia. Absorb your environment.

14. View problems as challenges. The only albergue in town is full? Cool! Check with the bartender down the street to see if there are any rooms to rent in town. Or stop in the church and ask the priest if a pew is available for the evening.

16. Express gratitude. Let the people of Spain know that you appreciate their hospitality with a gracias to anyone who even smiles in your direction.

17. Dream big. Is there any better way to fall asleep each night than dreaming about that moment of finally standing in front of the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela?

18. Spend time alone. Sure, join a Camino family, but make sure there is an hour or two every day when you walk alone, to mediate, to think, to dream big . . .

19. Don't make excuses. If you are a 5 am plastic bag rustler, please don't say, "I didn't realize that it was that loud," when you get those well deserved dirty looks.

20. Have a growth mindset. Don't let arriving in Santiago de Compostela be the end of your Camino. Make it the beginning of your Camino through life.

21. Spend money on experiences, not material things. You've invested a lot of your time and money into walking the Camino. Don't waste it by spending time shopping or watching videos on your iPhone. Put your phone in your pack and invest time getting to know other pilgrims.

22. Have a morning ritual. Ah, yes . . . tortilla and a Pepsi every morning before hitting the road.

23. Take care of yourself. Routinely check those feet for hotspots before they become blisters.

24. Make use of your character strengths. I'm a criminal defense lawyer, so my character strength of being able to cross examine a witness until they yell, "Okay, I'm making the whole story up!" was not useful on the Camino.

25. Engage in deep, meaningful conversations. My best memories of the Camino are the conversations. I have walked with a record executive that had Bono's cell phone number, a man diagnosed with MS who wanted to take on one last physical challenge before his health began to deteriorate any further, a woman who walked with a pronounced limp to celebrate beating cancer and a stroke at the same time, a woman who walked because she wanted to regain her feeling of security after being assaulted by a stranger six months earlier, and a man who wanted to be a better husband so he walked from SJPP to Santiago to inventory his life. I could go on and on, but you get the point. It's the conversations that last with you.

Wow! I hope I never meet anyone that does all of this at the same time... He/she must be hovering three inches above the ground (a real saint)!! X0D Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarcastic! I just think this would be a very difficult person to get along with... At least for me!! :0D

Just joking ;0D !!

BP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

2. Mediate daily. Is there anything more hypnotic than the rhythmic sound of gravel crunching beneath your boots on the Meseta?

18. Spend time alone. Sure, join a Camino family, but make sure there is an hour or two every day when you walk alone, to mediate, to think, to dream big . . .

A great list, although I assume that #2 is "Meditate daily" instead of "Mediate daily". Unless there tends to be a lot of arguments in your Camino family and you are the one sorting them out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...except my morning tortilla is always brought to me with a grande cup of cafe con leche. ;)
BTW, if I ever need an attorney, I'd love to hire you! Well done, Robert!

I'm firmly in the "tortilla y cafe con leche, grande por favor!!" camp. :D And I agree about the attorney. Although I hope I'm never involved in a criminal trial, Robert!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This goes well with another list I like. 5 habits of people who live long and healthy lives:
They
1. Drink 1 - 2 coffees a day
2. Drink 1 -2 drinks a day
3. Are slightly over weight
4. Are slightly hypertensive
5. Have a good social network
Is the latter list true? I hope so!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great list! As a former defense attorney, I can relate to #24. I also paid for an evening of bar drinks and had a jolly good time until I saw the bill later, haha!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This goes well with another list I like. 5 habits of people who live long and healthy lives:
They
1. Drink 1 - 2 coffees a day
2. Drink 1 -2 drinks a day
3. Are slightly over weight
4. Are slightly hypertensive
5. Have a good social network
I think your list with Robert's list make for a well rounded traveler!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

2. Meditate daily. Is there anything more hypnotic than the rhythmic sound of gravel crunching beneath your boots on the Meseta?

18. Spend time alone. Sure, join a Camino family, but make sure there is an hour or two every day when you walk alone, to meditate, to think, to dream big . . .

Number 8 is definitely going to be me - watch out for the older Australian-Texan speech pathologist, on her first Camino, stumbling late into the albergue in September! The spirit is keen and willing but the corpus is going to struggle.

"2. Meditate daily. Is there anything more hypnotic than the rhythmic sound of gravel crunching beneath your boots on the Meseta?"

No. Nothing is more hypnotic. I cringe when I hear people telling others to skip the Meseta ! To me, it was one of the few places where I felt so much at peace, not having to fret over every step and where to place your feet, avoiding muck, slugs, holes....Just walking, no stress. Mindless, mindful walking.

Very much enjoyed your thoughts, thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"2. Meditate daily. Is there anything more hypnotic than the rhythmic sound of gravel crunching beneath your boots on the Meseta?"

No. Nothing is more hypnotic. I cringe when I hear people telling others to skip the Meseta ! To me, it was one of the few places where I felt so much at peace, not having to fret over every step and where to place your feet, avoiding muck, slugs, holes....Just walking, no stress. Mindless, mindful walking.

Very much enjoyed your thoughts, thank you.

I whole heartedly agree.

The Mesata is the 'crockpot' of the Camino. You sink to the bottom and become part of the stew. The long soaking in the silence and the small villages that feed you are a balm to the heart and, gentle fuel for the spirit.
If the CF has a repository for its soul, it's in the Mesata. The opportunity for transendence is given a ripe opportunity to develop and express itself as one wanders the seemingly endless gravel path on the way to Santiago.

Peace be with you.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:

Great advice! Why else walk El Camino?

"conversation narcissist" - haha love it. Yeah they are everywhere. You can be a friend, entertain, prod a conversation but it's not about "me", it's mostly about the people in our life (even if it's just for a moment on the trail).

Loved this, thanks for sharing

#26 - ignore all of the points on the list that you don't like!

But really - a very good list. I'm not sure if my habit counts as a morning ritual, but always be the last out of bed, and skip the first couple of cafes! Maybe I'm weird, but unless there was a long stretch before the first cafe (10k+), I'd rather have a few miles in the legs before breakfast.

Woow! So good! Thanks for sharing! 👍
Haha and the morning ritual.. 😄 For me it was: un café con leche, tortilla y zumo de naranja.. Every single day! 😍

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Brilliant post 👏👏🎩

though I'm not massively outwardly successful
I have to agree.
I do all those things.
And I'm happy with my lot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree Chrissy that it's nice to see this resurrected. I remember enjoying Robert's original post! I need to copy some of my favourites of the group's advice, pondering, humour because I can never find them again.

Great post
me coming from a country of thinkers and poets, now of planners and horders, I get that list thing.
God gave us 10 things to do or not,
Jesus one , and modern psychology 25.
It sound like a long to do list with the catchy phrase of successful ( whatever this is) and happy.
If life was only a cook book.
If you are blessed by the time your hair turns grey you will have found out what is good for you and you are of quality to act on it. On the Camino that’s called life.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I like this I know it's several years old but just read it. I even copied it and put it in a folder. Buen Camino

Great Post Robert 26

Grazas

Thank you Robert.
This list, as it stands with your observation's, would really suit being that last page in the Introduction section of a future Camino Guide Book.

After the section of useful words and phrases you could title it And Don't Forget To.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.