• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

26 yr old female walking March 2013

cac04f

Time of past OR future Camino
"March 2013"
hi all. I'm a 26 yr old American with moderate knowledge of Spanish planning to walk the Camino in March 2013...alone. I did not plan to do the Camino in March as I understand it will still be quite cold but it's the only time I will have to do this and I am not usually too bothered by colder weather. My concern is relates to safety. Since March is a relatively off beat month I don't know what to expect as far and other people along the path. I am very friendly and had anticipated meeting people along the way but I think it might be more of a challenge in March. Is the camino safe for a solo female traveler at this time where there is unlikely to be the crowds of the summer? Thoughts/advice

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi cac04f!

You'll be fine and dandy. I walked in March-early April this year from Pamplona, and it was a mix of warm and cool. One day you're reaching for the suncream and the next you're wearing gloves. You just have to be prepared for anything. Apparently those who started in SJPP were walking through snow, but I didn't encounter any after Pamplona.

There are loads of other pilgrims around so you'll meet plenty of people, but you'd be very safe anyway. Just take the usual precautions you would at home. Buen Camino! :D

Though I live on the fringe of the sub-tropics, I prefer winter/spring for my Caminos. One day I'd like to try autumn/winter.

There are a few pilgrims around in the cool months, and striking up friendships is actually easier when the humanity is a bit sparse. Locals also have more time for you when things aren't so busy.

Just stay dry, and prefer layers to bulk. When it's cold, don't carry what you can wear. I have a slogan: "If it's not a layer, it's an at-home stayer." (Nobody else thinks that's a great slogan, but I'm persisting with it.)

You'll be fine. Wish I was twenty-six and starting my first Camino. I'd even settle for twenty-seven!

It's going to be great, cac

Rob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sienna Moon said:
Please can you tell us what mid May June is like?
That time should be more consistently warm, although from what I've read on this forum this spring was cooler than last, but followed by a hot summer. I'm pretty confident you won't see snow though! Buen Camino! :D

I walked through last march the caminos del Salvador (Leon to Oviedo), primitivo to Muxia (Oviedo-Santiago-Muxia). The weather was just beautiful, lots of sun some cold evening and morning in early march but just plain amazing after. There was some pilgrims along, more than i thought at that period. My family was 4 portugeses under 30, 2 polish women, one women from Netherlands and a swiss american of 73. You won't be alone!

You can checked the weather historic on: http://www.wunderground.com/history/air ... story.html

Enjoy,

jpierre

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi!
i am also planning to start my Camino frances portion end of March.. around the 21st (I am hoping to walk some of the jakobsweg in Germany before this) starting in SJPdP...
I think it will be a really wonderful time to start.
When are you planning on beginning your journey?

good luck and all the best on the Way to you...
I know I am already getting the Camino rush, and it is still months away.

Buen camino.. Jenny.

I have walked the last three years in late March. The weather will vary dramatically so you have to be prepared for these swings in temperature. As far as safety, I believe it is very safe for anyone to walk the Camino. There will probably be 10-20 Peregrino's starting out from SJPdP so you will not be alone. The night before, if you stay at the Albergue in SJPdP you will meet a variety of folks like yourself whom you can choose to walk with or not during that day. The Hospitalero's will provide you with weather information for the day. Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you are a 26 year old female who is already confident enough to travel alone, I assume outside your own country, then you will be just fine! The standard rules of solo female travel apply: always be alert and vigilant, trust your intuition, and don't go out alone after dark.

On the Camino also add to your repertoire some basic greetings in Spanish and use them assertively with everyone you meet or pass on the Way. Specifically, say 'hola' (hello) to everyone, and follow it with 'buenos dias' (good day) or 'buenas tardes' (good afternoon). This shows you are friendly and confident, and it will disarm anyone who might have thought you were the vulnerable type.

You will be dressed as a pilgrim, so everyone will know you are a pilgrim (local fashion is quite different from the clothes pilgrims wear). The local people seem to have a special respect for pilgrims, especially in the small towns and villages.

As for other pilgrims, get to know the people sharing your dormitory, and find friends and allies every night, if you don't already have them when you arrive. Personally, I'm sometimes a bit uncomfortable sharing dormitory space with men I don't know, so I always take the time to talk to the pilgrims around me, long before bedtime.

Have a fantastic journey!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
nreyn12 said:
On the Camino also add to your repertoire some basic greetings in Spanish and use them assertively with everyone you meet or pass on the Way. Specifically, say 'hola' (hello) to everyone, and follow it with 'buenos dias' (good day) or 'buenas tardes' (good afternoon). This shows you are friendly and confident, and it will disarm anyone who might have thought you were the vulnerable type.
I totally agree. Not just because of safety, but to improve the way you are treated in bars/restaurants and to maintain the image of pilgrims among the locals whose villages we pass through.

Obviously in the cities you're not going to greet everyone you pass, but in the villages if there's an old person walking their dog or sitting outside their house, give them a big smile and a 'Buenos Dias'. It will always be well received and reciprocated. Who knows what prayers are being sent up on your behalf after these simple interactions

Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
in the villages if there's an old person walking their dog or sitting outside their house, give them a big smile and a 'Buenos Dias'. It will always be well received and reciprocated. Who knows what prayers are being sent up on your behalf after these simple interactions

tyrrek, so beautifully and perfectly put! So simple, it warms the heart, doesn't it?

I am 21 year old Australian female planning to travel the Camino in March this year also! My mother, father, aunty and sister have all done the Camino and never have they expressed any need to be concerned for your safety. I'm quite nervous because of the dramatic weather changes, my worst fear is getting sick while trying to do the walk!

I do have another concern...may seem trivial but what do you eat generally while doing the Camino? Is it impossible to find food if you are gluten intolerant?

Is it impossible to find food if you are gluten intolerant?
There are a couple of topics on this issue, so search them out. It is not impossible, but takes a bit of care. Sauces can have wheat in them. Self-catering will be the best way to control the gluten. You may find albergue kitchens poorly stocked with cookware. Buen camino!

Hello.
The last week of March. is Holy Week.
All the people in the cities to the villages to see family. Many shops are closed. if you come across as a Catholic procession enjoy it. Floats carried on the shoulders of a brotherhood of men are ancient artwork.
But there are many people and it is hard to get around large towns and cities.

Buen Camino to Santiago.
Ultreya.

cac04f said:
hi all. I'm a 26 yr old American with moderate knowledge of Spanish planning to walk the Camino in March 2013...alone. I
Cac, when in March will you start? I am walking by myself as we'll and I start March 1st

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everyone!
I''m a 32 old brazilian who have walked the camino before....

All times it was around summer, so I tought this time I needed something different.

I'll be leaving SJPP around the 2nd of march 2013 and hope to have peace and love in my soul throughout the whole path...

May all gods and Santiago himself bless our jorney!

Hope to meet you there...

Ultreya;

;-)

Last edited:
Hi.

I'm a guy from Canada also starting from SJPP on March 1st or 2nd and hoping to get to Santiago for Easter on the 31st. Just bought a new sleeping bag and started breaking in a new pair of hiking boots. It should be good times. I'm sure we'll all meet up along the route.

Hello fellow pilgrims!!

I wanted to use this thread as I'm getting very concerned about walking the camino in early march.

I have been researching the statistics on the pilgrims central office in Santiago and I got worried about the number of pilgrims walking the camino early march.

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... 2012&mes=4

The statistics show that in april 12, 112 pilgrims were received at the pilgrims office in santiago.

I'm checking for april because those people probably started early march.

112 pilgrims in a month???

I have walked the camino twice and I reckon 112 people spread throughout the camino in 30 days period means I'll be walking alone the whole time!!!

I have to set everything by wednesday (plane tickets, time off from work, so on..) and I can only delay my departure by 1 week at the most.

What do you guys think about that? Will I be walking by myself all the way? I love a bit loneliness but to walk it all with no pilgrims around made me think if I should go this year.... Or wait a better gap to do it...

In addition to the lack of pilgrims, I'm also worried about the refugios... I've been checking the guides I have with me (and the updates online), and I found out that MOST of albergues will open only after easter!!

Does it mean I'll have to be walking 40 + kms on a quest for a bed?

I'm really worried...

Does anyone have an input related to my worries?

Thanks guys!!

Ultreya!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked in March 2012. The albergues in small towns often were closed, but where there were two places, one was open. On several nights there were only two or three pilgrims together, but occasionally there were ten. In the last 100 km, the number picked up a bit. Getting a bed was never a problem, nor was being alone.

By the way, the statistics display you cite it not acquiring the total correctly. If you read the whole thing, almost 15,000 arrived in April 2012! The Camino Frances had 7,865.

cac04f said:
hi all. I'm a 26 yr old American with moderate knowledge of Spanish planning to walk the Camino in March 2013...alone. I did not plan to do the Camino in March as I understand it will still be quite cold but it's the only time I will have to do this and I am not usually too bothered by colder weather. My concern is relates to safety. Since March is a relatively off beat month I don't know what to expect as far and other people along the path. I am very friendly and had anticipated meeting people along the way but I think it might be more of a challenge in March. Is the camino safe for a solo female traveler at this time where there is unlikely to be the crowds of the summer? Thoughts/advice
'
Hello, I am Tzmin from Taiwan , my friend and I also plan to do the Canmino in March . from SJPP to Sandiago. we want to start on 1st and ended on 31st. This is our first time to do Canmino so maybe we can getogether.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for posting this question...many of mine were answered. I am a 32yo American male flying to Paris on Feb 25th and planning to make my way to SJPdP the 28th, and leaving on March 1...hoping to finish at the end of March then train it to Lisbon, stay for a few days and fly out of there back to Georgia. It sounds like there will be plenty of great people to meet and walk with. I'm sure it will be a great experience. Buen Camino!!

Pete

pmfirmin said:
It sounds like there will be plenty of great people to meet and walk with. I'm sure it will be a great experience. Buen Camino!!
Yes, Pete. You'll have a blast. The difficulty only comes when you have to go back home. :D Buen Camino!

I'm thrilled to see that so many nice peopla have walked and ARE going to walk the camino in March as well!

Monday is the day, when I'll know irf its going to be possible for me to do it and when I'll get my tickets.

Everything is set: CLothes, gear, trainning, so on so forth...

The only issue remaining is that I was diagnosed 6 months ago with some serious back problem:

- Protrusions between my L4-L5 and L5-S1 vertebras.

This has been SO painful and the treatment is long and slow...

Monday Ive got an appointment with my physician and hopefuly he will give me a "GO".

I might open another thread regarding back issues to share my experience with the matter...

As soon as I have news I'll let everyone planning to walk in march so maybe we can meet up!

Ultreya!
;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am leaving Saint Jean on March 20. It's the first day of Spring so am hopeful the weather will cooperate but will be prepared for anything.

Anyone else leaving that day?

I am planning on leaving SJPdP on the 20th of March as well!
Looking forward to walking with some amazing folks :)
Buen Camino,
Jenny.

Hello Jenny

That's great that you are starting on the same day I am (March 20). Hope our paths cross on the way! I'm very excited.
Josey

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OttawaWalker said:
I am leaving Saint Jean on March 20. It's the first day of Spring so am hopeful the weather will cooperate but will be prepared for anything.

Anyone else leaving that day?

Hello everyone!

It's funny, but I'm also starting my Camino in 20th of Match 2013. I didn't know it's the firs day of spring. There are many different reasons why I can't start earlier and why I will not start later. They are just a coincidences, but I'm glad. I hope I will meet someone of you on the way!

By the way I'm 27 year old guy from Latvia! ;)

HI. My sister and I are also leaving st jean on 20th MArch,arriving there late in afternoon of 19th MArch. I am so excited to finally be able to do this. Really looking forward to meeting you all there and sharing an amazing experience with you.
Love becky

Hi everyone,

plan on starting in Roncesvalles on 1 March, so I might see some of you on the way!

Ultreya!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm leaving from Pamplona on the 25th March so I imagine I will see some of you en route!
Twenty-three year old from England! Getting very excited now - six weeks to go!

Buen Camino!

Bella

looks like there's a whole bunch of us leaving around this time. Have you looked on the Calendar of this site? (bottom of all posts in the middle (I think). I'll be leaving SJPP March 21 or 22. No hurry. None..whatsoever. I'm happy to be accompanied up the mountain pass - or not - once I have (at least) an IDEA of where I'll sleep and what I'll eat (and when), my anxiety levels flatten out again.

Gina & Georgia
Bien Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My son walked it last year from start of March through start of April and the weather was fine. There seemed to be quite a few walking at that time of year. There is a graph in one of the guides showing just over 5000 arriving in Santiago in April. If they all walked the full distance then they all started in March so you wont be alone. My son and I start on St Patrick's day so there's two on the road to start with. I am 64 so you may catch up on me if you are starting later

Buen Camino

Hi everyone,

I will also start the Camino on 1st of March in SJPP and I am really looking forward to it, hopefully the weather will be great with very little rain as I kind of got sick of it in England :)
Where is everyone staying as I looked on some hostels in SJPP and most of them are closed around that time.

Hello there Lawrence!

Are you planning to start on the 1st? Or are you arriving on the 1st?

I'll be arriving in SJPP around 5 pm and I'm planning to start on March the 2nd!

We are probably gonna meet along the path!

I haven't booked any accommodation yet, but I reckon I'll just go straight to pilgrims office and than to the Refúgio in SJPP, as they are opened throughout he year (if I'm not wrong).

I'm super excited as well! Less than 10 days to go!

If you see a very tall dude (almost 2meters) with a blue backpack and a black bellypack... That's me! :)

Ultreya!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
is any of you starting on or around March 21 traveling to PAU and from there with Train (or somehow else) to SJPP?
We will arriving March 21 into PAU from Paris and are not sure if to take Taxi, bus, Train, bourricot...

Thanks,
Christian

Hi everyone. I have booked in with Tim from Eracaldia B&B (for my last night of luxury before the BIG WALK). He has told me that the Pyrenees are still impassible (as of yesterday 23rd Feb) and it doesn't look like there may be much of a big thaw before the next 4 weeks, when we plan on walking.... Also read up on some weather sites and found that the Pyrenees has the deepest snow fall IN THE WORLD at present (over 5.5metres!!), so he kindly reminded me not to get my hopes up for the Napoleon Route, though anything is possible. I thanked him for his wise words, because I'd rather go knowing the chances may be slim to cross over the top, so be prepared to take the alternative route (which I hear is beautiful also)......

Gina & Georgia

Hi,
I'm starting on 21th march from SJPdP. I'm going to Barcelona on 19th march and then I must go to Pamplona by train. I don't know how to get from Pamplona to SJPdP ? Anyone has some idea how to get there ? maybe someone has the same problem ? I will be in Pamplona on 20th march at 11.30 am. I heard that at 18 is some bus to Roncesvalles but how to get to SJPdP in the evening ?

I thought that I will be alone on the way, but now I see that so many pilgrims will start on the same time, great! :) I'm 30 years old male from Poland.

See you on the camino!
Kuba :)

Bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP begins on March 22 with one bus per day at 1400. The fare is 20E. Service ends on April 7, but probably will be offered again in May.

Delay your visit in Pamplona by one day, and you will be in good shape.

KubaKRK said:
Hi,
I'm starting on 21th march from SJPdP. I'm going to Barcelona on 19th march and then I must go to Pamplona by train. I don't know how to get from Pamplona to SJPdP ? Anyone has some idea how to get there ? maybe someone has the same problem ? I will be in Pamplona on 20th march at 11.30 am. I heard that at 18 is some bus to Roncesvalles but how to get to SJPdP in the evening ?
Kuba :)

Hi Kuba,
We booked our transportation from Pamplona with http://www.taxipamplona.com. They charge 105€ to SJPDP. We plan to start el camino on March 21st. You will probably recognize us, we are two sisters (42,46) and their very brave and adventurous mom!
See you there!
Buen Camino
Ive

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
tyrrek said:
Hi cac04f!

You'll be fine and dandy. I walked in March-early April this year from Pamplona, and it was a mix of warm and cool. One day you're reaching for the suncream and the next you're wearing gloves. You just have to be prepared for anything. Apparently those who started in SJPP were walking through snow, but I didn't encounter any after Pamplona.

There are loads of other pilgrims around so you'll meet plenty of people, but you'd be very safe anyway. Just take the usual precautions you would at home. Buen Camino! :D

there is snow during that time? i am planning (also first timer) to start from there on late march or early april

jadidmasihi said:
there is snow during that time? i am planning (also first timer) to start from there on late march or early april
There can be snow on the hills. From what I'm reading it has been bad this year and is still bad at the moment. Take advice about which route to follow when you arrive. We started early March last year and as I say, I didn't see any snow after starting in Pamplona, but those starting in SJPP had. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
IveMar said:
Hi Kuba,
We booked our transportation from Pamplona with http://www.taxipamplona.com. They charge 105€ to SJPDP. We plan to start el camino on March 21st. You will probably recognize us, we are two sisters (42,46) and their very brave and adventurous mom!
See you there!
Buen Camino
Ive

Hi Ive, I found a bus from Barcelona to Irun and then train to SJPdP. Probably I will be in SJPdP on 20th in the morning, If weather will be good I will go to Orisson but for now I'm not sure.

See you!
Buen Camino.

IveMar said:
We booked our transportation from Pamplona with http://www.taxipamplona.com. They charge 105€ to SJPDP. We plan to start el camino on March 21st.
You'll start within 2 weeks from today, and for the coming 7 days the weather looks pretty grim up North. Not knowing how and when this strange winter will turn into spring, I suggest you check the weather forecast for the Roncesvalles area a few days before deciding to take the taxi to SJPP. http://www.aemet.es gives fairly good forecasts for 6 days ahead. 8)
Ultreya :!:

Am hoping to have a week off at Easter, and I feel a week on the Camino is just what I need right now. Am torn between starting in St Jean or Irun (Camino del Norte) as I plan on flying into Biarittz I could chose either. I have done Ponferrada to Santiago last Sept so know what to expect. Should I get the time off I plan to start on Easter Sunday from either place. Just saw the statistics for Camino del Norte and not many people do it at that time but according to this thread the weather in the Pyrenees doesn't look too good at the moment either, decisions... I will arrive in St Jean/ Irun late in the afternoon of Easter Sunday and am wondering if anyone else will be starting at this time?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cac- Would love to know how your pilgrimage went. I have been planning a March 2014 Camino and my walking mate just informed me that they cannot join me. I am hesistant to go alone but March is the only time I can go. Safe? Lonely? I do not speak any Spanish. Would love to hear your story.

Cac- Would love to know how your pilgrimage went. I have been planning a March 2014 Camino and my walking mate just informed me that they cannot join me. I am hesistant to go alone but March is the only time I can go. Safe? Lonely? I do not speak any Spanish. Would love to hear your story.

H Lornapersson.
I am also walking alone in march 2014 but have heard a couple of others will also begin at this time. There will be far fewer pilgrims I hear but I'm sure you will bump into others along the way. I was also very concerned about safety but the unanimous reply was that the only safety I need to truly worry about is the weather, which can be unpredictable. So plan for all weather! I don't speak Spanish but I am trying to learn a few basic words/phrases before I go. (Of course if they answer me back I have a problem! lol.)
Maybe we will see each other on the way.
Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm interested to walk Camino in march (from ~15.03) with children's (13,16y) too. From France. But the problem is that both children will have exams at the school, so we can walk maximum for 20-25 (+flights ~2d.) days. Is there possibility to use bus/train to shorten walking distance by ~200-300 km? Thanks!

Buses parallel the camino, so you have the opportunity to skip ahead most places along the way. My preference is to walk for the day, then take the bus to a sleeping destination, starting fresh the next morning. In March and April you won't have any problem getting a bed doing that. In the summer it may be preferable to take a morning bus, then start walking mid-morning.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The easiest two ways are:

Start closer to Santiago, simply multiply your available walking days with the number of km you can walk comfortably each day (guess low to leave time for rest days if necessary) and the result is your starting distance from Santiago.

Start where you want to start and walk until your time is up and continue next year to Santiago.

Skipping pieces of the walk has several disadvantages, the most important one being perhaps losing your newly-found Camino friends / family because you 'race' ahead of them.

Whatever you decide to do: !Buen Camino! SY

I'm interested to walk Camino in march (from ~15.03) with children's (13,16y) too. From France. But the problem is that both children will have exams at the school, so we can walk maximum for 20-25 (+flights ~2d.) days. Is there possibility to use bus/train to shorten walking distance by ~200-300 km? Thanks!

The easiest two ways are:

Start closer to Santiago, simply multiply your available walking days with the number of km you can walk comfortably each day (guess low to leave time for rest days if necessary) and the result is your starting distance from Santiago.

Whatever you decide to do: !Buen Camino! SY

Thanks! I read your book today, thanks!

Is there a way/some address (even paid service) to send backpack by courier/post to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port? And pick up it when arriving to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, because Ryanair is limiting baggage size and my backpack doesn't fit to limited size.

RyanAir checked baggage will be less expensive than courier/post, and at least as reliable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
RyanAir checked baggage will be less expensive than courier/post, and at least as reliable.

agree with you, but i have just one hour between flights in London and as far as i know they doesn't transfer bags between flights, so i must stay in London over night. Courier to France up to 31 kg cost just 40EUR

I am 21 year old Australian female planning to travel the Camino in March this year also! My mother, father, aunty and sister have all done the Camino and never have they expressed any need to be concerned for your safety. I'm quite nervous because of the dramatic weather changes, my worst fear is getting sick while trying to do the walk!

I do have another concern...may seem trivial but what do you eat generally while doing the Camino? Is it impossible to find food if you are gluten intolerant?
Rhea - I'm a diagnosed coeliac. I don't think your concern is trivial. However, it's not impossible to find gluten free food. And don't be nervous about the weather changes. You'll see when we went, on the left of this post. The weather changed: it snowed (lightly), it rained, the sun burnt us to a crisp! and it hailed. Stay out in it. Get a poncho or whatever suits. Our experience was not "dramatic". However everyone has their own perspective.

For example, we saw storms ahead which looked like the approaching thunderheads we have in SE Qld - with the rolling green sheets of cloud which herald hail the size of cricket balls and mini-hurricane winds. Despite appearances, the hail when it arrived (on each of the 3 or 4 occasions we had it) was the size of peas, and rattled on the peaks of our caps and ponchos making it difficult to hear each other but never caused us to think of seeking shelter, and the wind was no more than a stiff breeze.

Just be sensible and make sure you know what you are getting into before you get into it. I kept an eye out for culverts, overhanging rocks and abandoned nuclear shelters just in case.

We will be continuing our Camino journey from Burgos-Santiago beginning March 15th. My husband, myself and our two children traveled from SJPD-Burgos in 13 days a year ago September. Looking forward to the weather change from Fall however I am a bit nervous about finding space since there are 4 of us including an 8 and 10 year old :) They did amazing on the last trip and I am expecting the same this time. Even though the Alberques may not all be open I think the traffic is far less and am hoping to not struggle for bed spaces :)

Buen Camino

Just wanted to thank everybody on this tread! I've read some great advice+recommendations! I am planning on starting the camino in Leon around March 20th.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back