• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

27 Year Old Female from New York City

moniquedsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June (2013)
Hi All:

I am planning to do the Camino Frances from mid-May through June. I originally planned the trip with a girlfriend of mine, but now she is not able to do it. I am hesitant to go alone, but I also don't want to pay for a pre-planned tour! Does anyone know of resources for people in NYC? Are there meetups, where people can find people to travel with? I suppose it might be hard given that everyone has different start dates? Anyway, if anyone knows of anything, I'd be extremely appreciative. I would be so sad to miss out on the opportunity. I'm just convinced that I have to do this trek.

Monique

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will find a lot of discussion in the Forum on starting alone on the Camino. You won't be alone for long. You will start with a hundred potential walking partners. Choose. If you don't like your first choice, choose again. It is quite customary for people to walk together for only a short while. You will meet again, most likely. Do not be afraid to start a conversation on the train to SJPdP, at the station, at the albergue, or at your first meal. Ask to join anyone with an open seat at a table, if they look like pilgrims. Don't take any rejection personally! You will find others to be very friendly.

Buen camino.

Hi!

Hopefully an NYC pilgrim will come forward so you can have a coffee/beer together and discuss your plans. If they're happy to give you their phone number they will be able to advise with packing advice, and last minute nerves.

Personally I think it's easier to do the Camino 'alone'. You don't have to work to anyone else's agenda, schedule, complaints etc but will meet lots of fantastic people for company.

Buen Camino! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
moniquedsmith said:
I am hesitant to go alone.
DO NOT BE HESITANT TO GO ALONE. This may be the best gift awaiting for you at The Camino. You will not be alone for long. Likewise, you will be left alone if and when you so wish. If you are hesitant to go alone, then the more reason to do this by yourself; it will transform your life.

Prepare your gear, train your body, plan your trip. BUEN CAMINO! :D

Hi Monique!
You have some great replies so far, I just thought I would weigh in another 27 year old female! I walked the Camino a few months ago with my boyfriend (well, now ex, which had nothing to do with the Camino, haha) and I would not hesitate to go back and do it by myself someday! Which is definitely something I plan on doing. I think there are some great upsides to walking "alone"... you can go by your own schedule each day, you don't need to feel obligated to keep up with anyone, or to push on when they don't want to. You won't need to feel like you have to entertain anyone constantly or compromise your own feelings or wants or needs for anyone else.

I think it is a wonderful idea for you to go ahead with your original plan, especially if you're convinced you must do it! You could learn so much about yourself, and you never know what opportunities and friendships (or more) can come out of doing a trip like this "alone." Sure, it may feel a little scary to plan something like this on your own, but once you're out there and doing it, you won't feel like you're alone.

Good luck, I really hope it all works out for you!

As a veteran walker, who always walks alone, no problems, you are free to walk at your pace and stop when you feel like it, most people on the camino are solo pilgrims so small group form and become families and look out for one another, I have walked 40 km on days without talking to anybody, and 3 days as nobody spoke English, at dinner one night people from 17 countries and languages, you will never feel lonely on the camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Monique,

Are you looking for someone to travel with you from New York to the start of the Camino?

Everyone who has posted is correct - once you get to the trail, you will quickly make friends. But being nervous about traveling overseas from the US alone is something entirely different, and perhaps the more difficult problem to solve.

Have you sorted out your travel from NY to Europe and then to the start of the trail? Let us know how we can help...

Nancy

http://www.thecaminoexperience.com

Hi Monique,

Like everyone has said, you won't be alone for long, unless you want to be.
You will find all the people you ever wished to walk with from your first day.

From the time you begin your walking, your first night in the albergue, you will make friends who you will walk with or pass along the way. People are very friendly and all are as excited as you will be!

If you are the type of person who is not afraid to set out on your own, go for it!
After about 2 days, you'll find your pace and will be just fine!

Reasons to do a set tour include having someone make your nightly reservations if you prefer private lodging,having a group of "regulars" to walk with, and having someone there who speaks the language who will call you a taxi or help you if you don't feel understood.

But you CAN do these things yourself!
The majority of Pilgrims go alone and make lifelong friends along The Way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Monique

I am 32 coming from Sydney, AUs, and walking on my own in Mid April. I am Very nervous and have some hesitations, but I know it will be all good.

definitely go it alone!

CP

Personally I think it's easier to do the Camino 'alone'. You don't have to work to anyone else's agenda, schedule, complaints etc but will meet lots of fantastic people for company.

Word.

DO NOT BE HESITANT TO GO ALONE.

Double word.

I know that concerns are different for females but seriously, the Camino was a darn safe area. I never feared for my safety except for once or twice and those were my own fault and no one else was even involved. Met several women along the way who were walking alone as well and they had no issues with meeting other walking partners.

Hi! Monique, my husband and I (age 62 and 47 - i turn 48 on the camino)will be walking from Valenca, Portugal to Santiago from June 24 through 29th then on to muxia. We are coming home July 4th. if you'd like to meet me for coffee beforehand ,I would love to discuss plans, packing lists etc... private message me if you are interested. and ,I have traveled alone to Scotland, England and Bermuda... There is a joy to being the queen of your journey:D Bring a journal to write in when feeling alone...which probably won't be often. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In absolute agreement with all the previous posts, I walked solo last year from SJPP to Finistere & enjoyed every km, either alone with my thoughts, with a newly made friend or slightly more "challenging" companion, all of which situations you can change in a short tea break at the next village !!
I am of the firm belief that the Camino kicks up the right people just when you need them for support or valid questioning...
As for safety, never an issue, even on the day i found myself lost in the woods....a few kms later in the local bar, after the initial merriment at this crazy girl 6kms off route, the locals were just wonderful & helpful ( basic Spanish helped!)....
Am returning for more this year I hope, alone (but not alone) on the Norte/Primitivo.

Check to see if there are any pilgrim associations in NYC...I am in Atlanta and am frequently contacted by people in my area who want to learn more.

As others have mentioned, you will not be alone for long once you start the Camino...that is unless you prefer to walk alone. In my experience, I met people on my second day of the Camino -- I ended up keeping more or less the same pace with them the entire 30 days...and to this day I remain friends! I was also 28 or 29 at the time so about your age. This year I will walk again - this time with my wife and toddler.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino de Santiago Calendar

Monique

When you have your flights arranged, click on 'Camino de Santiago Calendar' at the very bottom of this page, will show you what other members of this forum are planning to start their Camino on the same day and their starting point and the members of this forum make up only a small percentage of the numbers on the Camino annually.

I'll be arriving in Saint Jean on Wednesday 22nd May and planning on staying in 'L'Esperit du Chemin' that night before hitting the Route de Napoleon on the 23rd so if your plans overlap keep an eye out, I'll be the Irishman with a childlike grin from finally realising a long cherished hope. :D

You will only be alone on your Camino if you actively choose to be, you might be walking on your own for an hour in the morning with nobody in sight but if you stop for 20 minutes for a cafe con leche in a small cafe, you will see 20+ peregrinos stop to share the menu or carrying on to their own intended break point.

Buen Camino

Seamus

Monique (and Lauren):
I too am leaving from NYC Mid-May. A bit of a Pre-Camino NY support group would be awesome! Maybe travel plans would sync up...?
~Kurtis

Hi Monique, Lauren, and Kurtis,

We are not from NYC and we are walking in March/April, but we will be in Brooklyn on Feb 23 for a fundraiser at Brooklyn Boulders (popular climbing gym in Brooklyn). Brooklyn Boulders is graciously hosting an all-night climb-a-thon in our honor to raise money for the two nonprofit organizations we support, Global Fund for Women and GirlVentures.

If you want to stop by the gym or meet earlier for lunch somewhere, let me know. We won't be walking the same time you are, but it would be nice to meet other East Coast folks who are planning to trek the Camino this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Monique-- I am flying into Madrid from NY arriving on May 17th. I am heading to Logroño to walk for a week. If our plans coincide in any way, please feel free to send me a private message. Female, have done the Camino solo, so far. Not one problem whatsoever, not one second. The pilgrims at the Camino are kind, helpful, determined, and focused. Pretty much as you can see by this forum.... :D

Monique, Lauren & Kurtis,

Kurtis' pre-camino support group would be a great idea. I'm leaving for the Camin in early June. Maybe we can all get together one day for a cup of coffee or a drink and chat. What do you guys say?

- Nina

Monique, Lauren, Kurtis, and Nina,

35 y.o. NYC female here, leaving for the Camino on May 31st. I'd be down for a meetup before then. Please let me know if you guys get together!

Take care,
Tara

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Monique, Lauren, Kurtis, and Tara,

I'll be glad to take on the organizing role in getting us all together. Send me a note at nincha5@gmail.com with your availability in the next couple of weeks, so we can settle on a mutually continent date.

Chat Soon,

Nina

It's amazing to me that Boston has a chapter of the American Pilgrims and yet NYC doesn't even have a Meet-Up group of pilgrims. Heck, not even the Cathedral-Basilica of St. James in Downtown BK has even a support group! :O

BTW, I'm flying out May 26 JFK to MAD to start my first camino :D

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Damian,

I agree with you. It's a shame that NYC doesn't have a chapter. I am actually working on setting up a meetup group in NYC as we speak. I think it's about time we had one here. Here is the link to it - http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Pilgrims-of-t ... -Santiago/

Where are you starting your Camino from? I'll be walking June 8 - 24 from Leon to Santiago. If you're starting in SJdP, than maybe we'll run into each other along the way someplace.

-Nina

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good on ya, Nina! The question is how much interest is out there :) I'll be sure to join.

I'm starting in Roncesvalles. My flight arrives in Madrid on Monday May 27, so with train/bus to Pamplona and Roncesvalles that afternoon I figure I'll start walking on the 28th. God willing and the Virgin permitting, I'll get to SdC on my birthday June 27 - that's MY plan anyway...I just hope that the Camino agrees with it :D

If I catch up with you I'll be the quiet one with dark shades and a Forum Patch on my backpack - thank you Don Ivar! LOL

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Damian,

I am hoping that the people from the tri-state area will be interested in joining. There is also an event at the NYC REI at the end of March, on the Camino, so I'm hoping I can get the people who joined that event interested in joining my Camino group. We'll see how this goes.

Hopefully the Camino (and your feet) will be kind to you, and you will be able to complete your journey. I will be on the lookout for you, in case you do catch up (and I too, will have a Forum patch on my pack, along with the American Pilgrims on the Camino patch). Good luck with your Camino, and do stay in touch. And if you're ever in the NYC area, lets grab a cup of coffee and chat about our Camino journeys.

-Nina

Thanks for the heads-up about the REI event! Last time I looked I didn't see any coming up. Too bad it's already full, but I put my name on the waiting list...I could always crash it in case someone is a no-show :shock: :p

Oh, I forgot to to mention that I have the American Pilgrims patch too :lol: Thanks for your kind thoughts and I also hope you have a safe trip as well!

I'm sure now that you started the Meet-Up more will join. For a city that never sleeps, the local camino pilgrims sure are snoozing :lol:

Damian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do crash the REI meeting. I went to one in Hanover NJ a couple of months ago, and they didn't stop additional people from joining. You may not have a seat, but there's always standing room.

Hope to see you there. It's at 7pm on 3/28.

Wow - I thought that no one had replied to my post! I just got all of these messages! I think I missed a few opportunities, but would be SO DOWN to meet up with anyone in the NYC are before leaving. I fly to Pamplona on the 20th of May, but will only be in New York until the end of April -- have we arranged a date already to meet up Please email me at moniquedsmith@gmail.com

Monique

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back