• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

28 December - New distances for earning the Compostella announced

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
From the 1st January pilgrims hoping to earn the Compostela will have to walk 200 Kms or cycle or ride horseback 400kms to Santiago. The decision was made yesterday by Archbishop Julián Barrio Don , and was today passed through the Pilgrim Office. Don Julian's intervention was essential to avoid what was already a cry charlotada true that the road had become .
Also, influenced by the winds of change brought by Pope Francis, the Bishop has determined that hostels dependent on the Cathedral , directly or indirectly, do not charge pilgrims any money but become voluntary donativo, using the example of hospitality extended by some Jacobean associations and individuals , that is, Christian hospitality " hospem eram et collegiste me" , which is a tradition on the Camino de Santiago and among good Christians.
A period of 2 months will be given to adapt to the new rules.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
WOW! Interesting, very interesting.

Question: Does this mean the San Martin Hospidaria, which is directly across from the Catherdal will become a donativo? They have a floor of rooms that are for pilgrims only and charge 23 euro per night which includes all you can eat breakfast, a very good breakfast I might add. I loved this place! Will these rooms be available for donativo and if so will they cut out the free breakfast? I'm confused :confused:

Sorry "innocent' Tumbleweed! It is the 28th December and I thought I might catch one person before I close this thread!!
December 28th is 'Día de los santos inocentes' or 'Day of the Innocent Saints' and is very like Aprils Fools Day in the UK and USA. People try to trick each other into believing silly stories and jokes. Newspapers and TV stations also run silly stories. If you trick someone, you can call them 'Inocente, inocente' which means 'innocent, innocent'.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My Camino friend and I wish it was true. Maybe it would reduce the number of silly, thoughtless and disrespectful young people rip roaring their way along the last 100 kms and taking so much of our joy and pleasure away from us who have walked so far.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dont I sound like a grumpy old lady????

From the 1st January pilgrims hoping to earn the Compostela will have to walk 200 Kms or cycle or ride horseback 400kms to Santiago. The decision was made yesterday by Archbishop Julián Barrio Don , and was today passed through the Pilgrim Office. Don Julian's intervention was essential to avoid what was already a cry charlotada true that the road had become .
Also, influenced by the winds of change brought by Pope Francis, the Bishop has determined that hostels dependent on the Cathedral , directly or indirectly, do not charge pilgrims any money but become voluntary donativo, using the example of hospitality extended by some Jacobean associations and individuals , that is, Christian hospitality " hospem eram et collegiste me" , which is a tradition on the Camino de Santiago and among good Christians.
A period of 2 months will be given to adapt to the new rules.
And now, I REALLY AM CONFUSED......Trick or Not....????

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think Sillydoll has left us a clue in the phrase "cry charlotada true". I'll leave the translation to those who speak better spanish than I do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was on another forum when I looked onto this forum and read only this first post. then posted the message on the other forum I was on. for the attention of newbies going on camino

then to come back to discover by further reading it was a joke........firstly I wish it was true ,secondly thanks for wasting my time, and last do you find using a religious leaders name in vain funny in your post.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was on another forum when I looked onto this forum and read only this first post. then posted the message on the other forum I was on. for the attention of newbies going on camino

then to come back to discover by further reading it was a joke........firstly I wish it was true ,secondly thanks for wasting my time, and last do you find using a religious leaders name in vain funny in your post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Innocents#Feast_days

Love it Sillydoll, I knew about April Fool's day but not the fact that in hispanic communities the 28th of December is in the same tradition. The 28th of December is also here in Belgium a well known catholic day in the religious calendar. And no I don't think it is vain using a religious leader's name in this post.
Even more : humour + fun is not a rare thing in Catholicism. Carnaval especially has many links to the religious calendar : the week before Lent and Fasting.
But I will get of my soapbox before this becomes another of those pro/ cons about religion.;)

Sigh. Oh that it were really true!

Perhaps on April 1st we could have the Pilgrim Office issue the 'Walk of Walks' instead of Compostelas. The latter to be awarded when the last 100kms plus the 'Walk of Walks' (with 2 sellos for every camino 'touched') have been achieved. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
". . . then to come back to discover by further reading it was a joke........firstly I wish it was true ,secondly thanks for wasting my time, and last do you find using a religious leaders name in vain funny in your post. . . . "

Easy, there, Mountaingoat99. No harm done, made us all talk a bit. Brought a foolish grin to the faces of those of us taken in. To use someone's name in vain means to use it in a way that shows disrespect. I don't believe that was the way the names were used. Also, most of the time one spends reading stuff on the internet can be classified as, um, wasting time. But we all do it and need it occasionally.
Smile, welcome in the New Year, and start walking!!
Buen Camino.

In fact "inocente, inocente" doesn't mean "innocent" in this context. The Spanish use the word "inocente" for those of diminished mental capacity - it is gentler way of describing the village idiot or the "fool" - hence its use on this day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In fact "inocente, inocente" doesn't mean "innocent" in this context. The Spanish use the word "inocente" for those of diminished mental capacity - it is gentler way of describing the village idiot or the "fool" - hence its use on this day.
Oh thanks JohnnieWalker, good thing I don't live in a village Hahaha :)

Yup, same here...onnozel ( mental capacity ) is substituted for onschuldig ( innocent ).

To be honest I just read the first original post without reading below, and thought I would go onto my other forum and leave a post.....on reflection I am the first to stand up and admit.
1. Its not easy being a man
2. ok sometimes I am a " A...hole"
3. still getting used to being a civi
4.I like to stand corrected and admit I over reacted.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And on New Year's Eve! I thought it was a wonderful present! Excited, then disappointed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back