• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

28 Years

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
I should have done my Camino 28 Years ago..
I wonder what it would have been like?
To have walked with my full strength intact
Full of vigor and untouched by the cancer of cynicism..

Ohh to have walked free of times ravages.

But..
The road would not have meant so much now i think,

Time has given perspective
Distance has given perspicacity
Age has given perception

But there were other... Roads...less travelled
And now,there is a new road..less travelled

Be Blessed on whatever Road your on Pilgrim

No road goes nowhere
All roads lead somewhere
Any road winds to Santiago

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Beautifully written and so true.
Thanks,
Rita

Very true William. I would have like to have done it about 37 years ago. (at the age of 22) I think it would have held a lot of meaning for me then though I believe I still would have wanted to do it at this time of my life too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just out of high school and full of hope,joy and promise.
I dont think i would have had the deep abiding drum inside to finish,
17 and raw,ready the world...i think its the right time in life now.

But to look through young eyes at the world again....

To marvel at the scenery...
To sing with fellow pilgrims...
To stumble home with arms around friends,
home to the albuergue to sleep an unworried sleep!

28 years ago I was still at school, had just met who would soon be my husband....we got married on a Saturday and left the country on the Monday not knowing when or even if we would return. Our journey dropped us in ten different houses in the first ten years....we had no money and so we walked wherever we were......eight kids appeared.....we still had no money so we kept walking.......we saved money and were able to walk (and take elephants and tuktuks and trains and boats) for fifteen months as a family......we didn't spend all our savings and ended up walking on the Camino in 2012.....I have since done another six routes....and dream of walking round the world.....I think it would take 28 years

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kiwi..what an extraordinary life!
Debrita, i still marvel at life

My singing is a crime against humanity..on a scale never seen since the KT Event....

The reasons to stumble home are far and away..i am the one who took people home from the bar when they were drunk.., all the gals trusted my chivalrous bushido...
My,and their honor intact...
And the most best part is?
One or two will holler out my name in public places and run into my everloving arms for the. Amazing hug

As for sleep,who needs it?

28 years ago, I was just approaching the age of 28. My mother had told me that she was "at her best" and happiest, and most beautiful and connected to the universe at that age. Sure enough, I pretty much had it all. I was healthy, living a happy life just beginning my third year of tertiary education. I had made the unprecedented decision--in my family clan--to continue university, after getting my associate's degree at a community college. I moved to Eugene, to attend University of Oregon.

I remember so much about Eugene. It is one of my most favorite cities in the world, with the Willamette River running through it. The natural foods stores abound, and the roses in the park were twined around heart-shaped wires, which made my falling in love with husband #1 even more special. Hikes up Spencer's Butte were a great afternoon workout, and the vibe was mellow. I loved my late twenties, and rode my bike everywhere. I still had my car, though! I was able to do so much, owing to a fairly good head on my shoulders. 28 years ago, I was laying the groundwork for my career, and I'm happy that I had fun with it.

If i may "Kipple" for a moment..
"Run,and find out"
Rikki Tikki Tavi...

I seem to be part Mongoose by my wandering habitual soul.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I should have done my Camino 28 Years ago..
I wonder what it would have been like?
To have walked with my full strength intact
Full of vigor and untouched by the cancer of cynicism..

Ohh to have walked free of times ravages.

But..
The road would not have meant so much now i think,

Time has given perspective
Distance has given perspicacity
Age has given perception

But there were other... Roads...less travelled
And now,there is a new road..less travelled

Be Blessed on whatever Road your on Pilgrim

No road goes nowhere
All roads lead somewhere
Any road winds to Santiago
28...that was my age when I first became aware of the Camino,and I first felt "the call" to go.My first born son was 3,so going was but a dream,a dream that lasted a lifetime.I had to wait until I retired at 65 to see my dream become a reality.Some dreams do come true,and can be more than you can ever hope for.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back