• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2nd Camino anxiety and fear I'll compare everything to the first time!

anthonymhughes

Irish lad heading back for more Camino!
Time of past OR future Camino
Hey everyone. Just at the airport in Dublin now en route to SJPdP. Couldn't sleep a wink last night because I was excited but also worried at the same time.
I did the CF in 2015 and can safely say it was hands down the best 5 weeks of my life. Started solo but finished with a group of around 8 friends from all corners of the world and we still talk most days on WhatsApp and from time to time we have reunions.
Having done the frances before I'm sure things will be alright but I'm just nervous I'll compare everything to the last time and not live in the moment.
Any advice on returning to the Camino?

P.S. Actually I see a guy with a Brierley guide so I'll say hey and my Camino begins!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There you go....another use for Brierley guides- airport pilgrim spotting.
Have a great (and unique) time. Sounds like you're getting on pretty well without extra advice and are well set up for a Camino adventure!

I see, dump us as soon as there's a new kid in town eh? ;)

Lots of things have changed since 2015 - more places to stay, more places to eat, more pilgrims etc. but the hills are still the same. Of course the weather may be different and that can make for a totally different Camino.

Take care y buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anthony, it will be different, you're a camino graduate now.
IMO on the first run to Santiago most of the magic comes to you. This time there'll be less of the wonder and surprise at the unfolding route. But now's your chance, if you want it, to pass on some of the magic (generosity/kindness/patience/lower bunk bed etc) to others, especially those uncertain of their progress.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am in a similar position to you. I walked my first Camino Frances last September and it was so special I will be starting my next one on Tuesday.

I walked on the Vdlp in April deliberately choosing to walk a different quieter path to avoid comparing with the first time. And it was very different. I walked with some great people and had a lovely time but it seemed more of a long walk rather than a pilgrimage. So I decided to risk walking the Frances again.

I am managing my expectations and I don't expect this walk to necessarily have the magic of the first time, and that's OK. I am open to whatever comes along. I love walking, I am going to apply lessons learnt last time, see what lessons the way will have for me. There will be plenty of wonderful new interesting fun people to meet. I am sure we will both have a great time.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Antony, I am going on the Camino for the second time in September. Last time I walked in May/June. I was panic-stricken until I met up with Suzy who walked with me until the end. I was care free while I was her. So this time, I am going to deal with my fears, know I can walk the distance each day. I will enjoy meeting people, but I will be responsible for myself. I am more prepared and am pleased to have found the Gronze website. I hope we both have a good Camino.

Its easier in one way because you know what you are capable of and you have experience of the situations that arise on the Camino, + you are less likely to make mistakes of thinking you can plan everything down to the finest detail, weeks in advance.

But

You will be encountering more your inner landscape and it can be difficult, especially if you get stuck with the question " what am I doing here( Camino) what am I trying to recapture or recreate". My fifth Camino was really special, but I had to go through 2 very difficult ones previous to it, they ended up focussing my mind on what it really was I wanted from my time on the Camino, I set of with the knowledge of what was special for me and I knew what the distractions would be, and I kept the special ones very close to my heart.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey everyone. Just at the airport in Dublin now en route to SJPdP. Couldn't sleep a wink last night because I was excited but also worried at the same time.
I did the CF in 2015 and can safely say it was hands down the best 5 weeks of my life. Started solo but finished with a group of around 8 friends from all corners of the world and we still talk most days on WhatsApp and from time to time we have reunions.
Having done the frances before I'm sure things will be alright but I'm just nervous I'll compare everything to the last time and not live in the moment.

P.S. Actually I see a guy with a Brierley guide so I'll say hey and my Camino begins!

4 Caminos behind me and I felt each time, mysteriously, that the Way was unique. fondly sandi

I hear you! But I think everyone sorta hit the nail on the head here. Breathe, relax, have fun talking to that new guy you just met and let the Camino unfold before you! Besides, now you get to be the voice of experience if someone is panicking that they can't do it! Buen Camino!

There is a natural temptation to compare but one thing we learn on the camino is to let go of expectations. When I went on my second camino, I knew things were liable to be different. I wasn't going it alone; I was walking with my son. I was going in summer instead of spring. And the camino itself, ageless though it is, had changed a bit in the intervening 27 years. But the route, the landscapes, the landmarks and the people were substantially the same (although there were considerably more of the last). But the people you will meet will be different people and the relationships you form will be different relationships. As much as you may have found your first camino great, try and avoid attempting to fit your second into the mold of the first.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Stay in different towns and in different places, and when you have the choice of an alternate route, take the one you didn't take last time.
All the people you meet will be different - different ages, different nationalities.
It's all different :).
Buen camino!
Jill

YesI like this response. Thank you!

As the @David Tallan said: "...one thing we learn on the camino is to let go of expectations ..."

If you go on your first Camino with expectations and they never came true don't repeat them on your second Camino. Same goes for new expectations for any new Camino. It's like trying to fall in love really hard. The more you will be seeking it less chance you have THE thing will happen. Just go and enjoy your inner-self.

Ultreia!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” ~ Hericleus, greek philosopher

jsalt was right. I walked the Frances twice and made a deliberate effort to make it different. The result was I probably enjoyed my second pilgrimage more. It is different because you meet different people and if you try and stay in different towns / albergues the whole experience is different, perhaps better like mine was.

You know, it is entirely possible that you will enjoy this second camino less that the first. That's OK!

As someone famously said "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." (I just googled. It was Voltaire.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I understand what you mean. I walked from SJPP in '07 with another person. In '09 I walked solo. Two completely different , but wonderful, experiences. (Although I admit enjoying the second Camino more at my own pace.) I tried to stay in different places and stopped at different villages. Meeting so many diverse people all on their own journey made my Camino. I leave Sept.2nd from Burgos this time. Safe travels!!

I am in a similar position to you. I walked my first Camino Frances last September and it was so special I will be starting my next one on Tuesday.

I walked on the Vdlp in April deliberately choosing to walk a different quieter path to avoid comparing with the first time. And it was very different. I walked with some great people and had a lovely time but it seemed more of a long walk rather than a pilgrimage. So I decided to risk walking the Frances again.

I am managing my expectations and I don't expect this walk to necessarily have the magic of the first time, and that's OK. I am open to whatever comes along. I love walking, I am going to apply lessons learnt last time, see what lessons the way will have for me. There will be plenty of wonderful new interesting fun people to meet. I am sure we will both have a great time.

Buen Camino

Great to hear that your heading back this year. I believe I walk for a period of time with you from SJPP to zubiri last Sept. I'll be restating the Camino from Burgos on the( arrive 1st of Sept.)Heading to santiago. Best of luck!
Ciaran (ireland)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great to hear that your heading back this year. I believe I walk for a period of time with you from SJPP to zubiri last Sept. I'll be restating the Camino from Burgos on the( arrive 1st of Sept.)Heading to santiago. Best of luck!
Ciaran (ireland)
Yes the Camino can become a habit :)
Have a great walk! We may meet along the way as I expect to be getting to Burgos around then, all being well.

Each one is different, as others have shared. Starting solo is vastly different than walking with a predetermined group. My first Camino was solo and I held no expectations—it was life changing.

My second wa# with spouse, sister, neighbors and a friend I met on my first Camino. Having to adjust to differing speeds, whining about public albergues (and thus insisting on private ones) created challenges of a different sort. Not as reflective but I learned almost as much about myself because being in community tends to do that—especially when they are people you see after the Camino.

Again with one other person, different yet. Seeing familiar paths sparked memories of forgotten experiences with an opportunity to talk about them over a period of time with a constant person.

Going again next year with repeats from the second—so yet another variation. No expectations and high anticipation. The Camino provides. May it always be so.

Thanks everyone for your words of advice and encouragement! As it turned out, i overreacted and everything was more than fine haha! Had a tough wet windy day but met lovely people and looking forward to a good night's sleep in Roncevalles! Happy days!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I am planning my 3rd. All have been different routes at different times of the year. The 2 so far have been brilliant and vastly different experiences. If you are doing the CF for the 2nd time you probably will have a few I have been here before moments but that shouldn’t interfere with you having another exciting adventure.

Actually I see a guy with a Brierley guide so I'll say hey and my Camino begins!

Tell him to throw it away ;)
We always use different villages when we return from previous years.
Sometimes , as we have walked it 4 times , it means short days [ 10km ] to get into a different 4-6 stage bracket. Time is never a problem as we take 40 plus days to complete.
AND
The accommodation is getting picked by H.R.H, the private rooms selected from MMDD with my blessing;)
Don't expect too much mate , everything will be different however the joy of walking it will remain.

Last edited:
It will be different. And you may find yourself comparing.
Oh, well. C'est la vie. And it's not all bad: memory can add depth to the experience.

But one thing that always amuses me when I walk a camino again is how experience goes back and forth between vividly remembering a place from before and then not recognizing a single thing.
Have a grand walk, Anthony...Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ll be walking my second CF this coming Feb and Mar. I expect walking a winter Camino as opposed to my first Camino which was in the fall will introduce plenty of new dimensions. For sure we will meet new people on a second Camino. I expect I will also stay in different villages and albergues on number two.

I am not against walking the same camino twice. Indeed I have but I have also walked other caminos. Summer/winter - it's still the same path so cannot be compared with doing a different one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back