• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2nd Camino-portugues

Ladywalker2

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2015) Potugues Porto (2017)
Hello all. Mis peregrines and I (college rooommates) did CF in 2015. We are planning to do CP from Porto to Santiago in June 2017. Any advice on the best city to fly into from Detroit? Also is there anyone out there who has done CF and CP who could shed some light on what it's like after the awesome experience of CF. we wanted to walk a Camino where we could be away from home for only 3 weeks rather than 6 which was just too long. We are all close to 60 years old and loved the CF but wanted to experience Portugal on foot. Some stories about your experiences would be great and then advice on least expensive way to fly from Detroit if we are to begin in Porto. We are also visiting Fatima and possibly Lisbon before we start hiking in Porto. Thank you and Buen Camino Peregrinos!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I flew from Toronto to London and then a $50 easyjet flight to Porto. 3 days in Porto, staying at the university dorm for €24 a night. I walked the coastal route all the way. It was wonderful. Had a rest day in Vigo. I'd recommend carrying 2 litres water as earlier sections were lacking in bars etc.
Buen Camino
Alan

Hi ladywalker, I really hope you get a lot of good replies to this. I walked from SJDP to Santiago this June/July and before I had even been home a couple of days I had sent off for the John Brierley book containing the track notes to the Portuguese Camino which I plan to do (WILL DO) June 2017. Counting down the months/weeks already. And I was wondering pretty well exactly what you are wondering. So although I cant help with your inquiry, thanks for posting it and I will be following the progress of this thread with great interest. Bien Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ladywalker

It's certainly quieter. That was partly because we did it "Club Class" staying in hotels rather than
albergues. There seemed to be more road walking and more of the cobbled ways as well.

As with the CF there are some beautiful stretches in open country side. I found the way marking to
be even better than the CF with "X" to let you know you'd gone the wrong way. The hospitality of
the Portuguese is also fantastic.

Porto was also a great place to have a couple of days in before setting off. Shabby chic !

Bom Caminho

Every camino is different but I thought the CF was a totally different experience to the CP. The CP is much quieter than CF.

Can’t advise on flights - if you fly into Lisbon it’s easy to get the train to Porto.

I would do some research on routes and take a guide - from Porto I did the coastal route to Caminha then Tui, Pontevedra, Padron. I was super surprised how many people turned up in Porto without any info. At Vila do Conde my Brierley guide was hot property and photographed many times as people tried to work out where to go next.

The coastal route is dead flat which you might/might not find enjoyable. If there are strong winds coming off the sea I should imagine it’s *really* hard walking. There are 2 coastal routes and I was confused at times, I think one is basically along the sand the other is slightly inland. For the inland one, in places you are walking along the road between maize fields with very little to see (in August).

There aren’t anywhere near as many pilgrim bars, pilgrim menus and pilgrim ‘stuff’ along the route which might be a good/bad thing depending on your point of view. Portugal is very different to Spain, it’s not such a late night culture, you don’t get food when you buy a drink but that makes the drink very cheap :) , the people I met were really wonderful and very friendly.

I traveled in August and from Porto I stayed mostly in inexpensive hotels. A fair few people I met walking from Lisbon had already booked accommodation in advance from Tui for peace of mind. I suspect if you are walking later in the day albergue accommodation in places like Pontevedra might be difficult. I have only my experience to go on but very few, if any, people were up at 5/6am. (People did from Libson but that’s because the stages are very long and everyone was trying to avoid the 40+ degree heat). I thought the CP was much more relaxed.

One of the unique things about CP is that you will meet people the other way walking to Fatima and you need to get used to the blue and yellow arrows.

Thank you all for posting. I'm also thinking of the CP as my second Camino. I returned from the CF less than three weeks ago and am excited to walk a new Camino. I may be walking alone, celebrating my 71st birthday and hoping to meet other pilgrims along the way. I'm interested in opinions about guidebooks, solo walkers, accommodations and possibly starting from Porto. Lots of planning and hoping for next year. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Definitely the Portuguese from Porto should be considered the Central path. Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and especially Rubiães are required sites. In recent times, mainly Germans pilgrims adopted the Portuguese coast but that route obviamemente taketh hold very north wind and lose the beauty of the countryside that the central path gives us.
Hostels are very clean and there are many pilgrims of all nationalities. Obviously, the CP represents only 8% of the total pilgrim but even so, is the second most frequented path. Beautiful churches, monuments, and especially the Cathedral of Porto, Tui, the Church of Santiago Padron are mandatory visits in this way.

Definitely the Portuguese from Porto should be considered the Central path. Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and especially Rubiães are required sites. In recent times, mainly Germans pilgrims adopted the Portuguese coast but that route obviamemente taketh hold very north wind and lose the beauty of the countryside that the central path gives us.
Hostels are very clean and there are many pilgrims of all nationalities. Obviously, the CP represents only 8% of the total pilgrim but even so, is the second most frequented path. Beautiful churches, monuments, and especially the Cathedral of Porto, Tui, the Church of Santiago Padron are mandatory visits in this way.

Olá alcamino, you described the beautiful central path very well, um abraço. My suggestion is as follows: Leaving Porto along the beautiful rocky coast, sandy beaches and watching the fishermen unloading their boats in Angeiras. Do you like fresh fish? Excellent restaurants in Matosinhos and Angeiras. Your first stay could be at the Campsite in Angeiras. The offer nice bungalows with special prices for pilgrims. Reservation only via infoangeiras@orbitur.pt. Don´t forget the magic word pilgrim to get the pilgrim´s fare.

In Vila do Conde switch to the central path via Rates > Barcelos and so on. In rainy days it´s more protected in the inland, avoiding the strong winds at the coast. Don´t miss to stay at Casa Fernanda, about 10 km after the super albergue Portela de Tamel. Give her a call in advance (+351) 914 589 521.

Bom caminho. Rainer

Last edited:
Hello all. Mis peregrines and I (college rooommates) did CF in 2015. We are planning to do CP from Porto to Santiago in June 2017. Any advice on the best city to fly into from Detroit? Also is there anyone out there who has done CF and CP who could shed some light on what it's like after the awesome experience of CF. we wanted to walk a Camino where we could be away from home for only 3 weeks rather than 6 which was just too long. We are all close to 60 years old and loved the CF but wanted to experience Portugal on foot. Some stories about your experiences would be great and then advice on least expensive way to fly from Detroit if we are to begin in Porto. We are also visiting Fatima and possibly Lisbon before we start hiking in Porto. Thank you and Buen Camino Peregrinos!!!
Greeting from Canada. May 2015 my friend and I (70+ females) flew into Lisbon, bussed to Porto after excursions to Gibraltar and Morocco. We walked right along and the coast to Vigo then followed Brierley. It was WONDERFUL. The sun on our backs and the sea on our left. Much quieter and cleaner than the French Camino. We averaged 17 km. a day and had no problems with hostels. Carried 11lb packs, no injuries, and took 15 days or so.I am totally addicted. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Greeting from Canada. May 2015 my friend and I (70+ females) flew into Lisbon, bussed to Porto after excursions to Gibraltar and Morocco. We walked right along and the coast to Vigo then followed Brierley. It was WONDERFUL. The sun on our backs and the sea on our left. Much quieter and cleaner than the French Camino. We averaged 17 km. a day and had no problems with hostels. Carried 11lb packs, no injuries, and took 15 days or so.I am totally addicted. Buen Camino.
That sounds heavenly!!! It also puts my mind at ease. I also have the brierley guide so I'm glad it was helpful!! Thanks so much!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Sounds like my kind of Camino, good walking distances and light packs. I need a traveling partner for this kind of Camino, with fewer walkers. And I, too am 70. Good time to be addicted to the Camino.

I flew from Toronto to London and then a $50 easyjet flight to Porto. 3 days in Porto, staying at the university dorm for €24 a night. I walked the coastal route all the way. It was wonderful. Had a rest day in Vigo. I'd recommend carrying 2 litres water as earlier sections were lacking in bars etc.
Buen Camino
Alan
Thank you so much Alan. Very helpful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wow!! This was fantastic! Thank you so much! I just shared this gem of a video with my Camino companions. Beautifully don!!

I'm wondering did this route from Porto to Santiago have a specific name? It didn't look like what some refer to as the coastal route from the video.

Hi ladywalker, I really hope you get a lot of good replies to this. I walked from SJDP to Santiago this June/July and before I had even been home a couple of days I had sent off for the John Brierley book containing the track notes to the Portuguese Camino which I plan to do (WILL DO) June 2017. Counting down the months/weeks already. And I was wondering pretty well exactly what you are wondering. So although I cant help with your inquiry, thanks for posting it and I will be following the progress of this thread with great interest. Bien Camino.
Well maybe we will see you Jo114! We are leaving around June 16!! Buen Camino!!

Buen Camino
Alan
Thanks Alan!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Every camino is different but I thought the CF was a totally different experience to the CP. The CP is much quieter than CF.

Can’t advise on flights - if you fly into Lisbon it’s easy to get the train to Porto.

I would do some research on routes and take a guide - from Porto I did the coastal route to Caminha then Tui, Pontevedra, Padron. I was super surprised how many people turned up in Porto without any info. At Vila do Conde my Brierley guide was hot property and photographed many times as people tried to work out where to go next.

The coastal route is dead flat which you might/might not find enjoyable. If there are strong winds coming off the sea I should imagine it’s *really* hard walking. There are 2 coastal routes and I was confused at times, I think one is basically along the sand the other is slightly inland. For the inland one, in places you are walking along the road between maize fields with very little to see (in August).

There aren’t anywhere near as many pilgrim bars, pilgrim menus and pilgrim ‘stuff’ along the route which might be a good/bad thing depending on your point of view. Portugal is very different to Spain, it’s not such a late night culture, you don’t get food when you buy a drink but that makes the drink very cheap :) , the people I met were really wonderful and very friendly.

I traveled in August and from Porto I stayed mostly in inexpensive hotels. A fair few people I met walking from Lisbon had already booked accommodation in advance from Tui for peace of mind. I suspect if you are walking later in the day albergue accommodation in places like Pontevedra might be difficult. I have only my experience to go on but very few, if any, people were up at 5/6am. (People did from Libson but that’s because the stages are very long and everyone was trying to avoid the 40+ degree heat). I thought the CP was much more relaxed.

One of the unique things about CP is that you will meet people the other way walking to Fatima and you need to get used to the blue and yellow arrows.
Thank you Helen 1. So very helpful!

Hi Ladywalker

It's certainly quieter. That was partly because we did it "Club Class" staying in hotels rather than
albergues. There seemed to be more road walking and more of the cobbled ways as well.

As with the CF there are some beautiful stretches in open country side. I found the way marking to
be even better than the CF with "X" to let you know you'd gone the wrong way. The hospitality of
the Portuguese is also fantastic.

Porto was also a great place to have a couple of days in before setting off. Shabby chic !

Bom Caminho
Thanks introibo!! So helpful!!

I'm wondering did this route from Porto to Santiago have a specific name? It didn't look like what some refer to as the coastal route from the video.

Olá Ladywalker2, the route in the video, starting in Barcelos, is part of the Central way. There are 3 ways out of Porto. The old way via Maia isn´t much in use nowadays. The second way is Porto > Campos Verdes > Vairão > Vilarinho and so on. Most pilgrims choose the first stage of the coastal way along the coast to Vila do Conde. There the way splits. To the Central Way (Caminho Central) leading to Rates > Barcelos and the Coastal Way (Caminho da Costa) leading to Rio Alto > Esposende > Marinhas and so on.

It´s a problem with the different names. Therefore I´ll describe the Central way as seen (partially) in the video

Porto > Rates > Barcelos > Ponte de Lima > Rubiães > Valença > O Porriño > Redondela > Pontevedra > Caldas de Reis > Padron > Teo > Santiago de Compostela

There is another way Porto > Famalicão > Braga > Ponte de Lima ..... the Caminho de Braga. This way is only in Portuguese guide books.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olá Ladywalker2, the route in the video, starting in Barcelos, is part of the Central way. There are 3 ways out of Porto. The old way via Maia isn´t much in use nowadays. The second way is Porto > Campos Verdes > Vairão > Vilarinho and so on. Most pilgrims choose the first stage of the coastal way along the coast to Vila do Conde. There the way splits. To the Central Way (Caminho Central) leading to Rates > Barcelos and the Coastal Way (Caminho da Costa) leading to Rio Alto > Esposende > Marinhas and so on.

It´s a problem with the different names. Therefore I´ll describe the Central way as seen (partially) in the video

Porto > Rates > Barcelos > Ponte de Lima > Rubiães > Valença > O Porriño > Redondela > Pontevedra > Caldas de Reis > Padron > Teo > Santiago de Compostela

There is another way Porto > Famalicão > Braga > Ponte de Lima ..... the Caminho de Braga. This way is only in Portuguese guide books.

Brierley doesn't show the coastal route after Vila de Conda. We wanted to stay on the coast and were able to follow arrows and ask directions but sometimes the distances between hostels/villages were longer than we were told. Keeping the sea to your left made it easy. After Vigo we used the book, bussing out of the city. Going into Santiago was not as easy as on the French Way and there were quite a few lost pilgrims. But I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Brierley doesn't show the coastal route after Vila de Conda. We wanted to stay on the coast and were able to follow arrows and ask directions but sometimes the distances between hostels/villages were longer than we were told. Keeping the sea to your left made it easy. After Vigo we used the book, bussing out of the city. Going into Santiago was not as easy as on the French Way and there were quite a few lost pilgrims. But I'd do it again in a heart beat!

There are maps about the different ways from Porto to Santiago:

http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/0D-INFORMACIONES-DE-INTERES.pdf/

Have a look and enjoy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
These were my stops with distances in km. I sure liked the walk. Fairly flat I guess but enough challenge for me this time. Loved Oia!

Porto
Povoa de Varzim 23
Esposende 21
Viana do Castelo 24
Vila Praia de Ancora 18
A Guarda 18
Oia 15
Baiona 14
Vigo 23
Redondella 14
Pontevedra 16
Caldas de Reis 24
Padron 18
Teo 12
SDC 12

Hope to add a link to my photos soon...

Alan

Hi: If you can get a bus or other ride from Detroit to Toronto (about 5 hours), Air Transat has direct flights from Toronto to both Lisbon and Porto. Check out www.airtransat.com.

I have not walked the CF, but I have done both the CP Central Way and the CP Coastal Way. This past July I did the Coastal Way with the same stops described above by @drawstring. I thought it was a great route and would not hesitate to recommend it. However, there were only a handful of pilgrims on the route until it merged with the Central in Redondela - then there were significantly more. So if the camaraderie is important to you, it may be different in that respect from the CF, and you may want to take the CP Central Way.

These were my stops with distances in km. I sure liked the walk. Fairly flat I guess but enough challenge for me this time. Loved Oia!

Porto
Povoa de Varzim 23
Esposende 21
Viana do Castelo 24
Vila Praia de Ancora 18
A Guarda 18
Oia 15
Baiona 14
Vigo 23
Redondella 14
Pontevedra 16
Caldas de Reis 24
Padron 18
Teo 12
SDC 12

Alan
Yes, Oia was a quaint little place with an imposing sea wall. A horse clip clopped past our window on the cobbled street. We stayed in most of those places too. And the little ex school house albergue in Barro/Portello that Brierley mentions in his book. That was a truly Camino experience not to be missed!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I am walking from Porto on 24 November and had thought of taking the Coastal route until Villa Conde before joining the Central. Do you all think it s gonna be too wet and windy at that time of year or it should be ok or even continue up the Coastal route until Tui (?)

Cheers G

Hi I am walking from Porto on 24 November and had thought of taking the Coastal route until Villa Conde before joining the Central. Do you all think it s gonna be too wet and windy at that time of year or it should be ok or even continue up the Coastal route until Tui (?)

Cheers G

Olá, November is always a bit on the wet and windy side. Therefore, please check:

https://www.ipma.pt/en/otempo/prev.localidade.hora/#Porto|Matosinhos

Depending on the weather, you can choose your way - along the coast up tu Tui or switching to the Central in Vila do Conde. I used to live in Portugal for many years and did the CP seven times. In late autumn I always switched in Vila do Conde to the Central Way because it´s more protected there. If you want to stay in hotels and pensions along the coast, some of them are closed - off season!

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
Olá, November is always a bit on the wet and windy side. Therefore, please check:

https://www.ipma.pt/en/otempo/prev.localidade.hora/#Porto|Matosinhos

Depending on the weather, you can choose your way - along the coast up tu Tui or switching to the Central in Vila do Conde. I used to live in Portugal for many years and did the CP seven times. In late autumn I always switched in Vila do Conde to the Central Way because it´s more protected there. If you want to stay in hotels and pensions along the coast, some of them are closed - off season!

Bom caminho, Rainer

Hi @Rainerbernd, would you say then that the Central route has more albergues/hostels/hotels available for pilgrims in November? Should I book my hostels, or there should be enough accommodation for tourists and pilgrims who happened in the area?

Plus, would you then walk the Central route from Porto..... rather than do a combi of coastal and Central routes as I was hoping to walk to villa conde then join the Central route. I dont fancy been blown into the Atlantic or battered by severe rains.....

Cheers, Ginette

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Olá Ginette, yes, the Central route in November has more accomodation for pilgrims than the Coastal route. In November, no booking is needed, except your first stay in Porto. It´s easy to get a nice hostel right above the old town near Cordoaria. For instance: Porto Wine Hostel, Pensão França or Pensao Duas Nações. They are in the internet. How to get there? Bus 601 from the airport to the final stop Cordoaria. Then it´s only 3-5 minutes to the hostels I mentioned and to the famous book shop Lello as well. Cafes for breakfast, opening at 6 in the morning, all around.

Well, walking from the cathedral (first stamp) or your hostel on the Central is allright, but in the outskirts it´s a bit boring - industrial areas. Therefore I suggest to do a combi via Vila do Conde. If the weather is very bad you can take the metro red line to Póvoa de Varzim. Your stop will be Santa Clara. Go 100 m back to the big roundabout and turn left into Avenida Bernardino Machado. There the way is marked. Orientation is a big warehouse in the distance. Next villages: Touguinho > Arcos > Rates, your first albergue. It´s only 12 km from Metro station Santa Clara to Rates. Some more questions? Don´t hesitate to ask. Btw. I often stayed at the end of Central Line, Hainault (Essex), visiting close friends.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
Olá Ginette, yes, the Central route in November has more accomodation for pilgrims than the Coastal route. In November, no booking is needed, except your first stay in Porto. It´s easy to get a nice hostel right above the old town near Cordoaria. For instance: Porto Wine Hostel, Pensão França or Pensao Duas Nações. They are in the internet. How to get there? Bus 601 from the airport to the final stop Cordoaria. Then it´s only 3-5 minutes to the hostels I mentioned and to the famous book shop Lello as well. Cafes for breakfast, opening at 6 in the morning, all around.

Well, walking from the cathedral (first stamp) or your hostel on the Central is allright, but in the outskirts it´s a bit boring - industrial areas. Therefore I suggest to do a combi via Vila do Conde. If the weather is very bad you can take the metro red line to Póvoa de Varzim. Your stop will be Santa Clara. Go 100 m back to the big roundabout and turn left into Avenida Bernardino Machado. There the way is marked. Orientation is a big warehouse in the distance. Next villages: Touguinho > Arcos > Rates, your first albergue. It´s only 12 km from Metro station Santa Clara to Rates. Some more questions? Don´t hesitate to ask. Btw. I often stayed at the end of Central Line, Hainault (Essex), visiting close friends.

Bom caminho, Rainer
I would not advice hostal Duas Nações in Porto.
We stayed there once in a room without windows, it was filthy and very noisy. In the middle of the night "guests with no respect for the sleep of others" arrived or left ,stamping their boots in the staircases and speaking and shouting very loud.Horrible... we booked for some days but cancelled and found a nice AIRBNB appartment.

Hello @ginette. I recomend you the albergues i've been last september in my CP:
- Mosteiro de Vairão (Vila do Conde)
- Albergue de Peregrinos de Barcelos (Barcelos)
- Albergue de Peregrinos de Ponte de Lima (Ponte de Lima)
- Albergue de S.Pedro de Rubiães (Rubiães)
- Albergue O Porrino (O Porrino, Spain)
- Albergue de Pontevedra (near the raillway station- Pontevedra)
- Albergue Dona Urraca ( Caldas de Reis)

All superb Albergues, fantastic crew members, clean, and quietly.

In SdC i decided to find a Residencial (small hotel) cause i was terrible afraid with bed bug report by pelgrins coming from de CF albergues :\

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Hi thanks for response.... now I hv a clearer idea of which route to take. Yes Hainault in Essex is lovely.... been there several times! Fairly near Epping Forest wt its lovely grounds and history.

Hello @ginette. I recomend you the albergues i've been last september in my CP:
- Mosteiro de Vairão (Vila do Conde)
- Albergue de Peregrinos de Barcelos (Barcelos)
- Albergue de Peregrinos de Ponte de Lima (Ponte de Lima)
- Albergue de S.Pedro de Rubiães (Rubiães)
- Albergue O Porrino (O Porrino, Spain)
- Albergue de Pontevedra (near the raillway station- Pontevedra)
- Albergue Dona Urraca ( Caldas de Reis)

All superb Albergues, fantastic crew members, clean, and quietly.

In SdC i decided to find a Residencial (small hotel) cause i was terrible afraid with bed bug report by pelgrins coming from de CF albergues :\

Hi @alcamino thank you! Very helpful!

€149,-
I would not advice hostal Duas Nações in Porto.
We stayed there once in a room without windows, it was filthy and very noisy. In the middle of the night "guests with no respect for the sleep of others" arrived or left ,stamping their boots in the staircases and speaking and shouting very loud.Horrible... we booked for some days but cancelled and found a nice AIRBNB appartment.

Hi @Albertinho I hv booked my Porto stay. I enjoy Porto as had been there to view the bookshop made even more famous by JK Rowling as Hogwarts in the films.... plus, of cos, the famous wizard gowns of University of Porto. Yes, I like Porto a lot and the food jz superb! :)

Last edited:
Y

thank you so much. This is soooo helpful! Your video was awesome.

Thank you!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Porto
Povoa de Varzim 23
Esposende 21
Viana do Castelo 24
Vila Praia de Ancora 18
A Guarda 18
Oia 15
Baiona 14
Vigo 23
Redondella 14
Pontevedra 16
Caldas de Reis 24
Padron 18
Teo 12
SDC 12

Alan
Thank you Drawstring

Hi: If you can get a bus or other ride from Detroit to Toronto (about 5 hours), Air Transat has direct flights from Toronto to both Lisbon and Porto. Check out www.airtransat.com.

I have not walked the CF, but I have done both the CP Central Way and the CP Coastal Way. This past July I did the Coastal Way with the same stops described above by @drawstring. I thought it was a great route and would not hesitate to recommend it. However, there were only a handful of pilgrims on the route until it merged with the Central in Redondela - then there were significantly more. So if the camaraderie is important to you, it may be different in that respect from the CF, and you may want to take the CP Central Way.
Thank you so much!! I will definitely check out airtransat!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I have looked at booking the Camino Portugues with two different companies. I noticed that CP is about 200 euro higher than for the same number of nights of accommodations and services. In general, (aside from beverages), is Portugal more expensive for tourists?

Olá Susan, Portugal is much cheaper than other caminos. Well, the price for guided tours is up to the companies. Why not doing on your own? I did the Portuguese about seven times and I spent between 20 and 25 € a day. Well, I mostly slept in albergues, but had super food and wine! One litre of wine costs me 2 €. On some days I did in a luxury way, but always for a reduced fare, the pilgrims fare and I spent a bit more. Fore instance, in Porto you can find a single room with private bathroom for 25 € per night - high season!

There are so many hostels, albergues and pensions where you can find a place to sleep. Eating good - no problem. Look at the restaurants blackboards for menu do dia. There is listed what you can get and you pay roundabout 5 - 7 € for a meal consisting of: bread, soup, 1/2 litre of wine or beer or coke, a main course (fish or meat) and a coffee. Sometimes a desert is included. In Angeiras where I work for hospitaleiro I only pay 5 € for a meal like this.

If you can get a cheap flight to Portugal, wether it´s Lisbon or Porto, that will be no problem. If you want to do only Porto - Santiago, the rapid trains from Lisbon to Porto are so cheap, 35 - 40 € only.

My suggestion: do it on your on way and I´m shure you will enjoy it!

Last edited:
We too are close to 60. I'm on one side and my wife is on the other. We flew into Lisbon and took the train north just passed Porto to where we started. You can see some video of our walk last July if you search "meidbo" on YouTube. You will have great trip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We too are close to 60. I'm on one side and my wife is on the other. We flew into Lisbon and took the train north just passed Porto to where we started. You can see some video of our walk last July if you search "meidbo" on YouTube. You will have great trip.

Many thanks for this beautiful video. It brings back all the memories. Btw. I´m 70 now, still doing the camino until... only god knows

Hello Lady Walker
I am very excited to see all your positive replies. I am also planning to walk CP in May/June next year and have many questions. I have walked CF but I know this will be different and I am older now and will be alone and I only speak English. I too am not sure where to start and whether to fly to Lisbon first but want to visit Fatima - So - I think all these replies are very helpful and maybe I will see you next year along the way. L

Hello fellow pelegrina,
I just finished my second CP in July and it was AMAZING again! The coastal route was definitely a bit more difficult than the coastal, but beautiful in it's own right. There are two Portuguese airlines that fly to Portugal from the east coast, so it
may be cheaper to fly to Boston/New Jersey and than onto to Lisbon from there. You're welcome to make a layover in Boston and I would be happy to open my home to you all! I am also planning on walking again in September and can't get enough of the camino too! Chow

€83,-
Thank you for all the great posts!
I finished the CF just 3 weeks ago and I am already planning my next Camino! Very interested in the CP and all these wonderful posts have greatly influenced my decision........CP in '18!!
Thanks everyone,
Melissa

Choose the Inglês instead for a much more pleasant experience! We attempted the Portuguese in May this year from Valença but were halted by terrible weather and illness in Pontevedra. We didn't find that first leg very attractive at all! Perhaps put off due to the weather but loved the Inglês in May 2015.

I was planning to walk the CF in April, but after more route research, I want to walk the CP, its my roots - my Portugeese grandparents emigrated to California in 1910. However, the distances seem very long. I would prefer walking 4-5 hours a day versus 8. Taking my time to "smell the roses" along the Way. Is this possible? Are there enough towns to stay in shorter spurts? Get water? Etc..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was planning to walk the CF in April, but after more route research, I want to walk the CP, its my roots - my Portugeese grandparents emigrated to California in 1910. However, the distances seem very long. I would prefer walking 4-5 hours a day versus 8. Taking my time to "smell the roses" along the Way. Is this possible? Are there enough towns to stay in shorter spurts? Get water? Etc..
The distances very long ?
Who gave you that information. It is not true !
Tell us where you want to start Lisbon ? Porto ? Viseu ?
On the central Portuguese caminho as well the coastal one are the distances between 15 and 20 kms when you start in Porto.
By startiing in Lisbon there several alternatives to walk shorter distances.
Curious about your reaction.

Bom caminho

Ps. Maybe a tip. If you have Portuguese roots, maybe you could make a study of the ancient homeland by looking at the map of Portugal and the north west of Spain (google maps )
You'll see where the caminhos are and which towns and villages you may encounter.

I walked Camino Frances in 2014 from St. Jean to Santiago with my wife, daughter and friends. I walked the Camino Portugues solo from October 1 to October 15. I started from Porto and walked along the coastline the first day. This year, my wife and I returned to Spain to walk Camino Finisterre - we had an early return due to some family medical issues. That said, we began our trip in Lisbon and visited Fatima. We took the train to Porto and stayed the night to supper on the river and visit the Port Wine cellars. The next day we tood the bus to Santiago to begin our walk. My preference is to fly a U.S. airline into Spain or Portugal. In this case, we flew Houston to Newark to Lisbon. Last year, I flew Houston to London and changed airline to TAP to get to Lisbon. Porto does have a modern airport, I've just never flown into that location.

Everyone I met that started in Lisbon bemoaned the lonely highway walking. There are more options to walk up the coast for more than one day from Porto, however, there are few pilgrims and not as much pilgrim support. I walked the Cathedral to the River my first day in Porto. When I started my journey, I took the Metro to Matosinhos to walk the coast.

No issues getting stamps or getting lost. Definitely get the 2 color stamp at Rates. I ordered my Credencial from American Pilgrims and had my first stamp at the Cathedral. The route is generally well marked. There’s the occasional challenge. In Porto, after walking down the stairs from the Cathedral can be confusing. Entering Santiago, it becomes a city and there’s lots of traffic and not well mark in a few places. Otherwise, between Porto and Santiago, I never got lost.

I always say the Pilgrims with the most freedom are those that don’t have an end date. At my age (57), walking 16 to 24 km a day is my preference. My suggestion – learn the metric system – 16km is 10 miles.

The Municipal in Rates was the first Albergue on Camino Portuges. You will meet pilgrims there. Definitely stay at Casa Fernanda – you’ll need a reservation – I made mine 3 days before I arrived. I wish I had stayed at Quinta Estrada Romana (google this and you’ll see why). The Canadian-American couple, Geof and Lesley, are very gracious hosts. I stopped for refreshment but did not stay the night.

Portugal has a lot of granite cobblestones. As for weather, it was cool in mornings and warmed up during the day. I always wore long pants and long sleeves when walking. Sometimes in the evening I would wear a short sleeved shirt. One morning, I put on some gloves until the sun got a little higher. Portugal is on a different time zone so there’s an adjustment from Portugal to Spain.

I"ve heard many good things about the Coastal Route especially related to more solitude. For me, I wanted to expericen Ponte de Lima, Valenca, Tui, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis and especially Padron.

Bom Caminho!!!

Mateo

Thank you all for posting. I'm also thinking of the CP as my second Camino. I returned from the CF less than three weeks ago and am excited to walk a new Camino. I may be walking alone, celebrating my 71st birthday and hoping to meet other pilgrims along the way. I'm interested in opinions about guidebooks, solo walkers, accommodations and possibly starting from Porto. Lots of planning and hoping for next year. Buen Camino.
I'm 68 and have yet to do my first Camino. I want to do the CP as my first, but I have no idea what time of year would be best. What's your preference?

Hello @BevTag

I did it in september. very good season. Start in Porto 3th and finish 9th. I think spring time is a good season too but, you know, hope you do this wonderfull portuguese camino de santiago ;)

I'm 68 and have yet to do my first Camino. I want to do the CP as my first, but I have no idea what time of year would be best. What's your preference?
We did it last July and It was unseasonably hot according to the locals. So much so that after about 2:00pm it became pretty uncomfortable. However, we were in no hurry, took many rest breaks and drank lots of water. We also stayed in hotels which helped a lot. I can say that even with the heat we never felt that we needed to skip a day. Every morning was fresh and full of energy. We also didn't see a lot of pilgrims, certainly not the throngs that you hear about on the CF. We're going back next year and starting about midway on the del Norte, again in July. My wife and I one year either side of 60 so right in your ballpark.
Bon Camino.
PS....Here is a video of the first third of our Camino on the CP

Lovely and informative video. I'm a bit intimidated now, as I'm going to be walking alone. I'll probably go from Tui to Santiago and then on to Finisterre. Hopefully, I can do it in May. Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. Bev

Lovely and informative video. I'm a bit intimidated now, as I'm going to be walking alone. I'll probably go from Tui to Santiago and then on to Finisterre. Hopefully, I can do it in May. Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. Bev
you will be very happy if you satart in Oporto ;) i did it tottaly alone and, however, i met lots of pelgrims. bom caminho anyway

Just completed my first Camino CF September/ October and like many hear considering doing the CP, maybe as early as either April/May 2017. So will be reading this thread with interest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved your photos. Thank you. We walked from Porto along the coast then joined the other route at Vigo in May 2014. So recognized lots of places. Delightful memories. It's all rather addictive.

Last year we walked from Lisbon to Santiago and thence to Fisterra. This April 24 th we are walking from Porto along the coastal route to Santiago. We walked the Camino Frances two years ago, the Portuguese is unique and we highly recommend it beautiful people and villages and towns and much quitter than the frances

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back