• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 1/2 weeks

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
+ Estimate which distance you can/want to walk per day (a tip: the average pilgrim does around 25 km daily, which is also the estimated by most guides).
+ Consider if you want a day or two of rest, or for visiting interesting cities.
+ Then go to any guide with distances, and count backwards your total from Compostela.
Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, Burgos is a cool city and would be a good starting point. Easy to get to from Madrid as well.
Get a good guide book and kind of map out how far and where you want to walk everyday and then use that as to where you want to start from. Also take into consideration travel time to and from Spain. That eats up 2-3 days.
Of course always stay flexible as some days you may want to walk more and some days less and sometimes you just may stop somewhere that you think is really cool and end up staying there instead of where you initially planned to.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yeah, Burgos is a cool city and would be a good starting point. Easy to get to from Madrid as well.
Get a good guide book and kind of map out how far and where you want to walk everyday and then use that as to where you want to start from. Also take into consideration travel time to and from Spain. That eats up 2-3 days.
Of course always stay flexible as some days you may want to walk more and some days less and sometimes you just may stop somewhere that you think is really cool and end up staying there instead of where you initially planned to.
I have 24 days to walk el camino Frances! Any recommendation?[/QUO
I have 24 days to walk el camino Frances! Any recommendation?
thanks everyone for the great input! I'm thinking also in doing ST. JEAN TO PAMPLONA I have some family that leaves south of the city that I have never met, then take the bus to Burgos and start from there! Any thoughts?

I was also thinking starting it from st.jean hike to Pamplona visit some relatives and then take the bus to Burgos and go from there! I also bought a pilgrims guide to camino the compostela by John Brierley it seem pretty good what other guide books you all recomend? Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Santiago will be calling but don't even consider running through Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Samos, even Villafranca del Bierzo without going walkabout-something which will bite heavily into your 3 1/2 weeks but which should not be missed. So fix your kilometerage and starting point accordingly.

Last edited:
I would not start with a bus trip, to me, anything with wheels around the Camino kinda puts me off. Consider Burgos-Santiago, and if you have some spare days, do move forward onto Fisterra, the end of the world.

Buen camino!

I was also thinking starting it from st.jean hike to Pamplona visit some relatives and then take the bus to Burgos and go from there! I also bought a pilgrims guide to camino the compostela by John Brierley it seem pretty good what other guide books you all recomend? Thanks
That sounds like a pretty good plan. Pamplona is a very cool place to visit. Not to be missed. The great thing about the Camino, especially since you have a limited time schedule, is that it's easy and cheap to get on a bus and visit the cities like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and still walk into Santiago with at least a hundred kilometers under your boots and get a compostela. It's all about the journey and enjoying beautiful northern Spain.
The Brierley guide book is a good choice and all you will need. Uncomplicated and good maps. Worked fine for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Burgos to Muxia/Finisterre or
Logrono to Santiago
Both are esasy to reach from Madrid

Miam Miam Do Do
Best book for accommodation and facilities in each home/pension/albergue/hotel.
Read closely as it show how many people in each room/chambre which is great as we are now down to max. 6 person room
And also lists every place , not the selected few.

Great! I'm starting my training soon here in the states to start doing my walk! Now starting gear selection and debating on foot wear! Thank you everyone! Will be linking up soon! Buen camino !

I have 24 days to walk el camino Frances! Any recommendation?

Peregrino2016:

I would consider starting in Pamplona.

Why? Pamplona is an easy city to get to by bus or train. You would miss the biggest climb on the Frances, the Monastery in Roncesvalles (more like a college dorm these days) and a few churches and bridges. It would also mean averaging about 30 km's a day. Many will say that is too fast to enjoy the Camino. I would disagree. A 7 hour day @5 km's or 3 mph, including 2-15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. An 8:00am start would get you in at 3:00 pm. Plenty of time to shower, wash clothes, see sights, blog, journal, have a few beers or wine with fellow pilgrims and a nap before a 7 or 8 pm dinner. You do not have to average 30 a day. The Meseta which is more or less flat will provide lots of opportunities for longer days in similar time frames.

That said, this is your Camino. The only other suggestions I would make are to:

Start slowly - Let your body adjust to walking a half marathon or better a day.
Pack as little as possible - We all bring to much but bring whatever gives you a sense of comfort. You can always leave it behind or mail it ahead or home. If you forget something you will be able to purchase it in Spain.
Listen to your body - if you get a hot spot or something does not feel right, stop and address the problem. ie: many blisters could be prevented.
Let the Camino be your guide - Try not to plan too much. Do not be disappointed if you do not get as far in a day as you planned. Just let the Camino guide you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.