• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3...2...1...Camino!

Arn

Veteran Member
Falcon is graciously maintaining the Pilgrim Calendar and many of us have dutifully provided the start/stop dates for our Camino, that done we may still be several weeks away from actually taking that first step along the Way.

In fact, if you look back, there are many additional stages to the Camino:
Stage 1 You hear about the Camino
Stage 2 You decide to go on Camino
Stage…heck, it really doesn’t matter the kind or type of stages…what’s important is when you finally arrive at the week before you depart. Pack is packed and repacked for the last time, tickets in hand, all is ready…you are in the final launch sequence:

3…..2…..1………CAMINO!

Here’s my thought about this thread: When you are three days out from departure make an entry here. The entry can be as simple as:

“Arriving SJPDP February 26th”

This short entry accomplishes two things: 1. Tells everyone on the Forum YOU are just days away to lift off to your initial destination. If they are in the same sequence…they can look forward to meeting you. 2. And, it’s that final booster rocket propelling you along the Way!

Well, got to go repack…one more time.

Buen Camino

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"Well, got to go repack - one more time" - quote.
Only one more time??? :D
But a good idea - I'm 5 weeks from the off, but will post on here 3 days beforehand.
(and I'm still trying to decide on the route, or at least the first part of it, never mind the packing list....)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Will Do, just over 5 weeks to lift off.......38 37 36......
not panic-ing just yet.....my left boot is killing me though!

Peregrinos/as,

I am finally at under the two month mark: I leave April 26th, arrival 04.27.2012 for Madrid-Sahagun-Santiago Compostela. MUST buy packpack as hurtling up and down the (very) low mid-Missouri hills is encouraging unwarranted self (arrogant) confidence in my 67 year old fitness level. Need the pack to have a week or so of abject humility and once acquired, onsidering tossing in old phonebooks and the odd brick!

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere or the information can be found in C of St J's spanking new 2012 Madrid route guidebook, but looking for a moderately priced, pilgrim-friendly accommodation for my overnight in Madrid on April 27th. (Egads, the dollar to Euro is ruinous!) Even I, in my eagerness for this 2nd Camino, know better than to sprint off the plane and start a Camino that very morning! I stayed at (trust me, it's true) Hostel America, booked for me in April 2002 by kindly airport tourist agent.. It was fine, no probs, nice pub down the street where I saw my first (and last televised) bullnight, drink a Guinness (also a last) and found Chinese take-away for dinner. Just ...looking for something a tad different. Hints?

Checking all Forums for Missouri connections, especially Columbia, although Kansas City and St Louis pilgrims most welcome, too!

So that would be ... 58 and counting!

Arriving at 1710 in Pamplona Friday, so will stay there the first night.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Closing in quickly on my departure date...just 20 days to lift off for the Camino Ingles.

The excitement is growing no matter how many times I walk the Way.

For all of you now on Camino...Buen Camino!

Arn

€46,-
3...2...1....Oh er!

Leave Ebbsfleet International at an awfully early hour on Tuesday morning, bound for SJPP. Have never done a blog before and don't know how long the attempt will last but will try to post on route at http://sharmuk.wordpress.com if anybody is interested.

Cool, calm and collected at the moment and have just given the garden some attention prior to its enforced neglect. Oddly that scene in 'Apocalypse Now' where the young lad refuses to get out of the helicopter at the LZ shouting "I'm not going!" keeps playing in my head. :mrgreen:

P.S. Thanks to all the contributors to this board for the advice I've garnered from it.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

See all of you there!

Jan Atienza

Well, almost there at last!!
4:3:2:1 - 1215 dept Stansted for Biarritz Friday 30th.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Under two weeks...the excitement continues to build. Now what's this about Iberia going on strike?

First Spanair, now Iberia...drat!

Still, closing in on 10 April.

Buen Camino,

Arn

In Spain, spending an unexpected extra day in Barcelona since there is a strike today and so no trains to go to San Sebastian. Had to find a hotel, and they upgraded my room since my train was cancelled. Very sweet and have enjoyed the extra day here. Getting used to being in Spain again, and excited to start my walk.

No idea if I have everything I need in my pack, but at this point, it is what it is.

Go to SJPP in two days.

Just got to San Sebastian. Went to my favorite place for tapas and met my first pelegrino walking the Norte trail, Arnaud from Holland. He had to camp last night due to strike. He was so sweet. Gave me some advice on going slow at the start, and he was very knowledgable. Was so happy to meet him.

It was 2pm and he still planned to walk 4 more hours. He needed to call ahead to the Refugio so I leant him my phone. Watched him walk away with his pack. Made it all feel so real.

Go to SJPP tomorrow. Anxious, but ready to start.

Buen Camino Arnaud, hope the rest of your walk today is good.

Laurel

Wishing ALL of you ALL the best for your Camino to come. I had to cancel my second Camino ( Ingles ) for this April. My father passed away quite unexpectedly last week and mum needs me now ( am only child ).
It is a great joy that dat folllowed my Camino adventure last year ( texted him everyday so he could follow my steps on a map ) and that he was proud of my pilgrimage.
The Caminos will be there next month , next year , next century...I will get another chance...
Will be with ALL of you in thought.

SabineP said:
Wishing ALL of you ALL the best for your Camino to come. I had to cancel my second Camino ( Ingles ) for this April. My father passed away quite unexpectedly last week and mum needs me now ( am only child ).
It is a great joy that dat folllowed my Camino adventure last year ( texted him everyday so he could follow my steps on a map ) and that he was proud of my pilgrimage.
The Caminos will be there next month , next year , next century...I will get another chance...
Will be with ALL of you in thought.

I will take a prayer to Santiago for you, your father & mother with me on Sunday, have quite a list going. Spent all week dealing with my depression, crickey what a week, I don't take any drugs, just a lot of thinking & action. Very close to not going. They want turn our Abey into a museum, people are fuming! & our secretary had a diabetic turn over it, helped him home.

Sorry you are not going Sabine, hope this helps a little.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Abbeydore said:
SabineP said:
Wishing ALL of you ALL the best for your Camino to come. I had to cancel my second Camino ( Ingles ) for this April. My father passed away quite unexpectedly last week and mum needs me now.

Hi Sabine - I start my second Camino - "Via de la Plata" - on April 29th. I usually say a prayer at each wayside cross, and you, your mum and dad will be included. May God bless and comfort you at this difficult time.
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Thank you Abbeydore and Stephen for your well wishes and prayers. These mean a lot to mum and me.
What a warm forum this is.
Sincerely, Sabine.

3...2...1 Madrid here I come (gulp) Sunday 8th for Seville and the VDlP. Buen Camino to all my fellow pilgrims.
Sandra :arrow:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
SabineP,
I am carrying prayers inside a little Teddy bear,"Orando Osito"(praying toy bear:). I will add a prayer for you and your mother and father, and take it to the Pilgrim's Chapel in the cathedral at Santiago. So you will be making the Camino with Orando Osito and me. I hope you will be able to do it yourself soon. Best wishes to you and Buen Camino.
Cathy

On the slippery slope to the Way!

Just checked the weather for the CI for next week (I start on the 11th)...light rain to heavy rain!

Things just can't get any better!!!

Buen Camino!

Arn

Cathy,

Thank you ever so much! I told my mum and she specifecally wants to thank you. Tell Orando he is a champ!! xx

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm new to this forum!! I wish I would have found it weeks ago! I leave tomorrow from Florida and reach in Madrid wednesday morning. any advice on the best way to get to Roncesvalles? How long on a bus/train? will I get there in time to have somewhere to sleep!!??

or should I just stay in Madrid that night???

I am leaving the States tomorrow (AZ), also arriving in Madrid Wednesday morning ... plan to take the 10:45 am ALSA bus (from Barajas T4) to Pamplona .... walking to Santiago from Pamplona. Wow ... can't believe the time is at hand already / finally ... depends on how one looks at it. Checked weather report and appears that we have some days of rain ahead of us .... quite a change from the southwestern desert!! BUEN CAMINO one and all ....

Hi Mayuri,

Not sure if this info is too late, you may have left already :wink:

I think you would need to get to Roncesvalles via Pamplona. Bus to there is approximately 5 - 5.5 hrs. There are a few buses leaving in the afternoon from the interchange at Avenida de America that may meet your requirement (see below). Price approx 20 Eur. You can get further info at http://www.plmautocares.com/. There may be other bus alternatives to Pamplona (possibly even from the airport) but I haven't travelled this route so can't advise I'm afraid.

EDIT: Ahh, I see Wolfmoms got the Barajas - Pamplona bus detail

Alternatively, there are two trains to Pamplona (approx 60 Eur and 3.25 hrs) that leave from Madrid Atocha Station that afternoon. Again details below. Further info at http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html.

There is an onward bus that will get you from Pamplona to Roncesvalles see http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com/siv/i ... nerario=80.
It is not the easiest timetable in the world to decipher as it contains lots of historical detail but it seems that there is just the one bus leaving at 18:00 that will get you to Roncesvalles from Pamplona, price 6 EUR. Obviously this doesn't fit with train or bus arrival time from Madrid so an overnight in Pamplona or Madrid may be in order. You may also be able to get or share a taxi to Roncesvalles.

I hope that you get your travel arrangements sorted and I wish you Buen Camino.

Regards
Mig

Attachments

• MadPamBus.JPG
    MadPamBus.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,600
  • MadPamTra.JPG
    MadPamTra.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 3,602
Wolfsmom,

Hello! I would love to meet up with you at Madrid airport! I'm thinking the bus that leaves at 10:45 is my best option. I haven't bought the tix. I will try via web now at the airport in Tampa! I'm such a procrastinator! I've put of the camino for 3 years but I'm doing it now!

I'm a 37year old Indian woman with a blue shirt and green rucksack! If you see me say hello! I get into Madrid around 9am. Let's meet! If email is easier
mayuri101@hotmail.com

What's the website to buy the tix?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Link I sent you was to the English Language version of the Alsa site. Just followed through the booking process and most of it is English. Maybe not supported on the device you are using. There are still over 1/2 the seats left on the 10:45 bus and over 3/4 on the connecting bus to Pamplona so I hope you should be ok sorting a seat out on arrival.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Two weeks till flight time...
I am packing everything to put in storage and in the midst of this chaos just visualizing being there
wondering about the weather. will I need my woolies?
the radio is playing 'this is your life, this is your time'

I leave home in 25 hours to catch a bus to Sydney airport. The first leg from Sydney to Dubai is 17 hours - hope they have some good movies!

I'm off then.
Again.....
0820 flight Stansted - Madrid tomorrow morning, leave home 0200.
Then bus Madrid - Najera.
Then walk. :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SJ47, buen camino stalwart fellow! May Grace and many blessings attend your Way. I'm sure I will not the only one here who looks forward to hearing of your success, and also something of the challenge and the fun.

Animo, peregrino!!!!!,
-Lovingkindness

Got the credencial yesterday and now try to do the final packing. Intend to arrive in Roncesvalles on 28 Feb, but given the intense weather conditions and snow, I am thinking of starting in Pamplona instead. I guess this will be a last minute decision.
Thank you very much indeed for all the help on this forum!

codecables said:
Got the credencial yesterday and now try to do the final packing. Intend to arrive in Roncesvalles on 28 Feb, but given the intense weather conditions and snow, I am thinking of starting in Pamplona instead. I guess this will be a last minute decision.
Thank you very much indeed for all the help on this forum!

iBuen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess this will be a last minute decision.
With your departure in two days and record snows between SJPdP and Pamplona, you probably can decide now. There is a probability of precipitation through next Monday with temperatures below freezing in Roncesvalles. The road to Valcarlos probably will be plowed, but the path from Roncesvalles to Zubiri likely is not passable. You would need to road walk that part, too.

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... es-id31211

@jcatienza thank you!

@falcon 269 you are right, my decision is made; Pamplona it is.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Eight sleeps until I leave Melbourne for a short stop in the UK and then on to Vigo before heading back across Spain to finally take that first monumental step .... although it feels as though that step was taken quite some time ago. Will post again when it's 3 .... 2 .... 1. Until then may everybody already at single sleeps walk safely and with purpose.

ClaireD71 said:
Eight sleeps until I leave Melbourne

It's nice to see another melbournian departing for their Camino , before you depart you'll have one week of sunny warm autumn days over 30degC, then arrive in Europe at the end of a cold winter, I hope your Camino is not too cold or wet, for me I am hoping for a hot dry Camino in June-July

Beun Camino

Frank

Well I am just over 7 weeks from departure (Sydney) to Madrid (via Emirates). Overnight Madrid before train to Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla. Start the serious walking around 17th May (would have been my dad''s 99th birthday) from Merida. Buen Camino to anyone else on the VLDP :)

Last day of work today, from now on six weeks sabbatical. Couple of days at home. Flight from Brussels to Zaragoza this wednesday the third of April. Start of walk thursday the fourth from Zaragoza on the Camino del Ebro till Logrono and then to continue on the Frances.
Second time for me but again...butterflies!!
Buen Camino!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
SabineP said:
Last day of work today, from now on six weeks sabbatical. Couple of days at home. Flight from Brussels to Zaragoza this wednesday the third of April. Start of walk thursday the fourth from Zaragoza on the Camino del Ebro till Logrono and then to continue on the Frances.
Second time for me but again...butterflies!!
Buen Camino!!

Buen camino Sabine - may the sun shine from blue skies for your walk, may the gods smile on you. :D

look back at the beginning of this thread....it's exactly a year old......some of you will be re-living the "one year ago I was doing such-n-such"

Yep, me included. This time last year starting out from SJPDP on the Route Napoleon - beautiful sunny day, wonderful walking. What a change from this week......

Leaving tomorrow morning! Starting the Camino from Leon on the 20th of April and meeting up with my husband (on the boards here -thomryng) to walk the rest of the way with my beloved.

Buen Camino to my fellow pilgrims.

One more week! Next week this time I'll be at the airport awaiting my flight to Madrid. The 28th I hope to start from Sevilla and walk the Via de la Plata for 500 kms. Getting excited!

Cheesepeter from Australia departs Sydney in 4 days, Monday 22nd.
Plans to walk from St.John Pied de Port 1 week later, Monday 29th.
Forum patch on my pack, stop me if you see me.I might be happy to take a breather, (or something a little stronger.)
BUEN CAMINO TO ALL, WALK SAFELY.

Greetings from Sevilla! Tomorrow I am on my way! Woohoo!

Can anyone tell me if the cost of the albergues on the grenada route are similar to the french route from st jean?

3....today putting the final touches to close up the apartment before I go.
2.......tomorrow, JFK to Madrid
1..........Madrid to Pamplona, Pamplona to Roncesvalles
...............Camino :!:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
cheesepeter said:
Cheesepeter from Australia departs Sydney in 4 days, Monday 22nd.
Plans to walk from St.John Pied de Port 1 week later, Monday 29th.
Forum patch on my pack, stop me if you see me.I might be happy to take a breather, (or something a little stronger.)
BUEN CAMINO TO ALL, WALK SAFELY.
I'm leaving the same day for Orisson. See you along the way! Sonya

First Post. Arrive Madrid 6/5 AM. Bus to Pamplona. Bus to SJPDP. Arrive 19:15 PM. Begin early AM 6/6.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Off on the 6th of April to Santander, Feve train to Ferrol. Starting on the 8th of April in Ferrol and hopefully arrive on Palmsunday in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back