• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 Albergues closed again!

LTfit

Veteran Member
A note for all those planning on walking the Via de la Plata: it was confirmed today that 3 albergues are closed again, those in Fuente de Cantos, La Puebla de Sancho Pérez and Zafra. It is not known when they will reopen. Good luck to all of you already walking or who will be on the road soon!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
LTfit said:
A note for all those planning on walking the Via de la Plata: it was confirmed today that 3 albergues are closed again, those in Fuente de Cantos, La Puebla de Sancho Pérez and Zafra. It is not known when they will reopen. Good luck to all of you already walking or who will be on the road soon!

The albergue in Fuentes de Cantos and Zafra are convents. Do you mean these two places ?

Well, though I'm willing to bet that they will re-open again (but who knows for how long), this is a long term funding problem.

The albergues in Fuente de Cantos and Zafra are in fact both convents, and they are part of the "Albergue Turistico" network, which also includes albergues in Torremegia, Canaveral, Banos de Montemayor, that albergue in the old olive oil farm near Villafranca de los Barros, and maybe a few more.

Based on this article, it looks like Torremegia is also closed. . http://www.elperiodicoextremadura.com/n ... 31297.html

And Canaveral has also been reported closed.

Some of these albergues are run by public-private corporations, which have a contract with the government, but I think some of the ones that remain open are contracted out to an individual.

There are private alternatives available in all of these places, I think, maybe with the exception of Puebla de Sancho Perez, but the private places in Fuente de Cantos have terrible reputations. I've never stayed in them, but I hear that they are very un-interested in pilgrim traffic.

Let us know what alternatives you find if you are out on the Vdlp. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the update. I am in the middle of putting together an accommodation list of places to stay along the Via de la Plata. I pulled together information from a number of sources including postings from various forum members.

That said, it will probably be out of date by the time we start walking April 8.
But at least hopefully it provides some references to what is open, closed, good, bad, interesting, etc

Please see the attached pdf. I welcome any comments and especially updates.

Attachments

• Accommodation Spreadsheet .pdf
    202.6 KB · Views: 84
Hi Jirit,
There are several comments and amendments/corrections that I would like to make to your list. It would be easier to do it directly on your document. If you would like me to do this just send it to me.
Cheers,
LT

LTfit said:
Hi Jirit,
There are several comments and amendments/corrections that I would like to make to your list. It would be easier to do it directly on your document. If you would like me to do this just send it to me.
Cheers,
LT

attached excel version

Thanks

Attachments

• Accommodation Spreadsheet .xls
    60.5 KB · Views: 70
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
According to Eroski, which generally has the most reliable information.
Fuente de Cantos, Puebla de Sancho Perez and Zafra are expected to open, though no date has been provided.
Torremejia has changed hands and opened on February 1st.
Tierra de Barros re-opened under new management last August and is anticipationg staying open all year.
Last year the 'Albergue Turisticas' that shut for winter re-opened in February, hopefully they will re-open for Easter.

LTfit said:
Here is the update up until Zamora(changes in red). Maybe others have addition comments.

Thanks LT

If anybody has anything to offer in terms of updates or corrections please send them in. Of interest are the phone which I am sure have changed (and I noticed some of the website links are not working)

I will update the spreadsheet soon after and repost an updated version

Cheers

Are you including only albergue type accomondations? I know you have some information on other types of hotels, pensiones, etc. that did not seem to be included.

I will download when you get the final edition finished. :D
Anything to not have to do my own research. :wink:

grayland said:
Are you including only albergue type accomondations? I know you have some information on other types of hotels, pensiones, etc. that did not seem to be included.

I will download when you get the final edition finished. :D
Anything to not have to do my own research. :wink:

I am including pilgrim style accommodation meaning allergies, private hostals and other places that cater to pilgrims. Obviously if I include regular tourist places then the list could go on for ever, so no plans to do this.

If you know, discover any other place that should be included please send them. I am also looking for something in Salamanca for the May 1 holiday, something my wife and I could stay for 3 nights, without blowing our pilgrim style budget.

Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I walked into Salamanca, it was graduation, first communion, weddings, all at once. The city was in full bloom. The albergue had a couple of beds, but we were a group of 5 so three of us went hunting. We wound up in a youth hostel that is not on your list, but it was quite nice. Name is REvolutum Hostal http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetail ... MgodmEUAdQ

It is in a great location, around the corner from the Plaza Mayor.

As far as rooms in a hotel go, May 1 is a holiday and may be tough to find a place. August should be much easier. I decided to spend an extra night in Salamanca and on a whim checked out a 4 **** hotel next door to the hostel. Hotel Rua, very nice, great breakfast, and it was 50 E for a single. This may have been a cheap last minute rate, but given the economy in Spain, cheap last minute rates may be easy to find.

Jirit, Lee and Laurie - GTREAT!

I will forward your accomodation list to my friend who will start from Sevilla very soon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year in Salamanca I stayed at the lovely Hotel Emperatrice on the pedestrian street on the way up to the Plaza Mayor. 30 euros single room and ensuite. Great location and very reasonable I thought.

peregrina2000 said:
When I walked into Salamanca, it was graduation, first communion, weddings, all at once. The city was in full bloom. The albergue had a couple of beds, but we were a group of 5 so three of us went hunting. We wound up in a youth hostel that is not on your list, but it was quite nice. Name is REvolutum Hostal http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetail ... MgodmEUAdQ

It is in a great location, around the corner from the Plaza Mayor.

As far as rooms in a hotel go, May 1 is a holiday and may be tough to find a place. August should be much easier. I decided to spend an extra night in Salamanca and on a whim checked out a 4 **** hotel next door to the hostel. Hotel Rua, very nice, great breakfast, and it was 50 E for a single. This may have been a cheap last minute rate, but given the economy in Spain, cheap last minute rates may be easy to find.

Thanks Laurie

I will add the youth hostel to the list. As for the hotels I will leave these off as there a numerous hotels, hostals, pensions etc in Salamanca, many that may or may not offer pilgrim affordable accommodation depending on the situation.

Regards

camino07 said:
Last year in Salamanca I stayed at the lovely Hotel Emperatrice on the pedestrian street on the way up to the Plaza Mayor. 30 euros single room and ensuite. Great location and very reasonable I thought.

Hi Camino07

Do you mean Hoteles Emperatriz? I tried to locate Hotel Emperatrice but all that came up was Hoteles Emperatriz

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow Jirit, great that you are making an up to date list. I'll start on the Via de la Plata at the end of April and I guess your list will be of great use. Happily willing to update it after I am back. Things seem to change rapidly on the VdlP!

The hotel I stayed in last October in Salamanca was Hotel Emperatriz 11------in Rua Mayor. I am sure this is the same one Heather stayed in.

Cheers,

Sandra

Camino12 said:
The hotel I stayed in last October in Salamanca was Hotel Emperatriz 11------in Rua Mayor. I am sure this is the same one Heather stayed in.

Cheers,

Sandra

Thanks!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back