• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Ivar 3 daily pilgrims masses again. Over 600 pilgrims/day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Capilla de la Corticela is on the east side of the north apse / exit from the cathedral. It is though the hallway to the right, up the stairs, just before you exit the cathedral on the North side. The Capilla de la Corticela is the original church parish, built before the cathedral.

I frequently confuse this with the small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows behind the black wrought iron gates, opposite confessional box #14. English Mass has been held there each year, for the past 7-8 years that I recall.

Then again, I could be confusing matters again. I am certain one of my forum colleagues will set me straight on this. Both chapels are near-adjacent to each other.

Hope this helps.

The Capilla de la Corticela is on the east side of the north apse / exit from the cathedral. It is though the hallway to the right, up the stairs, just before you exit the cathedral on the North side. The Capilla de la Corticela is the original church parish, built before the cathedral.

I frequently confuse this with the small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows behind the black wrought iron gates, opposite confessional box #14. English Mass has been held there each year, for the past 7-8 years that I recall.

Then again, I could be confusing matters again. I am certain one of my forum colleagues will set me straight on this. Both chapels are near-adjacent to each other.

Hope this helps.
I should have known that! :confused:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't feel bad. I had to pull up a diagram from the cathedral web site to confirm that the Corticela capilla is in the extreme northeast corner of the cathedral building proper. The cathedral evolved from it, and it continues to form one of the corners of the cathedral.

During a normal season, a Polish priest usually says a daily Mass, in Polish in the Corticela chapel / church, up the stairs. The English speakers had normally been in the smaller chapel on the main cathedral floor level. Fr. Manny usually said the Mass.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hi Tom. Glad to see you back. I'm not here to contradict you but just to add some links to Wikipedia and YouTube that may be helpful.

On this plan of the Cathedral the Corticela chapel is shown as #17 (the top left).
Planta_de_la_Catedral_de_Santiago._La_Catedral_de_Santiago._Breve_descripción_histórica_con_la...jpg

You are correct. We are both saying the same thing. I relied on this blueprint from the cathedral web site: http://catedraldesantiago.es/visitas/#planos

If you look carefully, you will see that you must go up two short flights of stairs 2 + 3. This condition exists to enter the original Church (not Capilla) of Corticela.

To enter the other smaller chapel (#18) I spoke of - but mislabeled on the diagram you show I think - you only make a single step up from the main level. The angled right wall is also a significant identifying detail.

We are both describing the same chapel, located in the same place. Though I agree that the You Tube video was a nice touch. I have attended Mass in this chapel. The heavy red curtain is the unique identifying detail before you enter the chapel proper.

As you are about to exit the cathedral via the northern apse - onto Plaza Inmaculada - you go up one short flight of stairs, then turn right and proceed down the hall, through the red drapery, and into the Corticela Church / Chapel.

In any event, in past years, there was always a sign telling worshippers were the English Mass was. If you can find the northeast corner of the cathedral, you will find the correct location.

Thanks for helping. It's good to be back among friends.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't feel bad. I had to pull up a diagram from the cathedral web site to confirm that the Corticela capilla is in the extreme northeast corner of the cathedral building proper. The cathedral evolved from it, and it continues to form one of the corners of the cathedral.

During a normal season, a Polish priest usually says a daily Mass, in Polish in the Corticela chapel / church, up the stairs. The English speakers had normally been in the smaller chapel on the main cathedral floor level. Fr. Manny usually said the Mass.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I should have known that! :confused:
Ivar you know ALOT so don't worry about a small miss!
You and @t2andreo are all things camino among some others on our site are all things camino.
Just wondering when I arrive from Sevilla and wish to walk through the La Puerta de Santa (isn't that the correct name of the holy door), is any proof of pilgrimage needed to walk through that entrance? Or do my semi clean clothes and probably pretty worn out and muddy trail runners enough proof ;)? Just wondering.
Thanks and cuidate mucho.

As I understand it, it’s come as you are, subject to the prevailing rules:

1. No backpacks allowed in the cathedral
2. Plan on wearing a face mask
3. Plan on maintaining the appropriate “social distance.”

As a pilgrimage is not a requirement to qualify for the plenary indulgence, a credencial is not necessary.

Consider that, as of today, the cathedral has a COVID capacity of 225 (if I got it right). Security controls this by counting who comes in and leaves. Get there early and be prepared to wait.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Please please the article was very small, I’m still straggling with the issue that I am coming from USA vaccinated what other requirement do I need? 🙏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. No backpacks allowed in the cathedral
2. Plan on wearing a face mask
3. Plan on maintaining the appropriate “social distance.”
These are the rules that you have to comply with when you enter the Cathedral through ANY door and not just the Holy Door.

Perhaps worth adding:
  • Anyone can walk through the Holy Door: the secular camino walker, the tourist from a cruise ship docked in Coruña, the grandma on a bus trip from one of the Spanish parishes near and far, and from further abroad.

• A Plenary Indulgence is not a piece of paper. It is immaterial, intangible. Nobody checks whether you have fulfilled all the requirements that you need to fulfil when you are Catholic, and the faithful who have done so don't get anything that proves that they have obtained a Plenary Indulgence.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.