• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 day solo female route?

americanabroad

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona - Logrono 2019, more in the future?
I am a university student studying abroad in Europe and have a week off from school at the end of March (I know it's kind of last minute planning). I want to travel part of the camino frances (3 or 4 days max) and am unsure what the best option is (the end or a different section?). I care much about safety (especially as a young/smaller female), obviously beautiful sites, access to airports, and ability to interact with other pilgrims. Any advice is appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a university student studying abroad in Europe and have a week off from school at the end of March (I know it's kind of last minute planning). I want to travel part of the camino frances (3 or 4 days max) and am unsure what the best option is (the end or a different section?). I care much about safety (especially as a young/smaller female), obviously beautiful sites, access to airports, and ability to interact with other pilgrims. Any advice is appreciated.
^also feel like I should mention that I am not an experienced hiker. I have been reasonably athletic in my past (usually various sports), but have also had some minor injuries in the recent-ish past

Where are you based in Europe? This might determine how far and how much time you have to reach your start point.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
^also feel like I should mention that I am not an experienced hiker. I have been reasonably athletic in my past (usually various sports), but have also had some minor injuries in the recent-ish past
I wasn't an experienced hiker or backpacker before I walked from SJPdP to Finisterre.

Where are you based in Europe? This might determine how far and how much time you have to reach your start point.
Copenhagen, but since I have a whole week off from school may travel to some city first (possibly in Spain for convenience but also possibly elsewhere due to personal interests?)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agree with RJM
For reaching your start maybe a flight to Madrid and connect from there. Pamplona is really worth visiting.

Welcome to the forum. For my first taste of the camino I did Santiago to Finisterre and then Muxia. It took 3 days to walk to Finisterre with a further day to get to Muxia. This has the distinct advantage of being a full route taking in some lovely, varied countryside and finishing at a very definite end....the ocean.

The stretch from Santiago to Finisterre should be reasonably well populated by March and I would say very safe. When I did it six years ago Finisterre to Muxia was much more sparsely populated going largely through woodland and while I'm sure it's also very safe it may not feel like that.

Return transport from Finisterre to Santiago is easy, from Muxia a little less regular.

I loved doing this route and it was enough to convince me to do the whole thing once I had the time.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An option, if Frances is not an absolute, might be the Ingles. Although I’m not sure what the weather is like in March relative to the Frances so you would need to check that.

It is mainly cited as a five day walk but would be simple enough to do in four. Although I had not planned to, I walked it in three days and I don’t class myself as particularly fit. Four days though would allow a more relaxed pace and more time to savour the Camino experience. An advantage of the Ingles option is the satisfaction of walking a complete a Camino and you would qualify for a Compostela.

Enjoy whatever route or section you choose.

Pamplona to Los Arcos, or if you are making good time and distance, Logrono.
Nice stretch of the Frances with a little bit of everything.
Hi, I'm very much considering doing this section, I was wondering if you knew how difficult it was (i.e. the likelihood of being able to make it to Logrono with four days of walking?) -- also since this happens to be just a less popular individual route, would you still say it is a social section (I guess mainly with people who have already been walking?)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, I'm very much considering doing this section, I was wondering if you knew how difficult it was (i.e. the likelihood of being able to make it to Logrono with four days of walking?) -- also since this happens to be just a less popular individual route, would you still say it is a social section (I guess mainly with people who have already been walking?)
Pamplona to Logrono is about 95 km's. You would only have to average about 23-24 km's a day to walk it in four days. Overall the terrain, save for a couple of tall hills, is pretty level. Plenty doable for someone young and in decent physical condition.
Pamplona to Logrono is a very popular section. You will meet many fellow pilgrims at the end of March I am sure. Pilgrims who have started in Saint Jean, Roncesvalles and Pamplona.
Pamplona and Logrono themselves are wonderful cities. Lot's of culture and sights, bars, cafes and restaurants. Also you should have no problem arranging transportation out of Logrono to get home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From Pamplona it is easy walking, starting with a short up to Alto Del Perdon, and from there you will have a splendid view ov the flat lands of the Navarra district. Easy walking. And beautiful. It is a very good idea to start in Pamplona and end up where your time allows. Next time, you can continue from where you stopped.

As for planning your stages, depending on your fitness,use this site:

https://godesalco.com/plan

There you can choose your start and ending points, daily distances, and what kind of accomodation you are offered at each stopping place. Play and experiment with it.

As for more details, buy a cheap but good guide from here: and see where you can sleep and have food. Have no fear, it is easy:

https://www.csj.org.uk/product-tag/camino-frances/

Last edited:
Also, if you do not have one already, you can obtain your pilgrim's credentials/passport in Pamplona at the Jesus y Maria albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pamplona is a great starting place. You do NOT need to start in SJPdP. How to get to Pamplona? Easy. Take a plane to Madrid or Barcelona, book a cheap place to stay, and take the next morning train or bus to Pamplona (or plane to Pamplona same afternoon to save time). Check out sites like https://www.seat61.com/ (trains) and https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home (buses). All will be fine; just a little travel planning needed, and off you go ! :):cool:

Hi, I'd be interested to hear about your experience, am planning to do the same route after Easter weekend. Also a solo female traveler, so any tips greatly appreciated!

Hi, I'd be interested to hear about your experience, am planning to do the same route after Easter weekend. Also a solo female traveler, so any tips greatly appreciated!
My experience was really good. I ended up doing 4 days Pamplona to Longrono, so there was much variation in both the length of walking and what we saw. I was nervous at first showing up partway through without knowing anyone, but I would say I was lucky with my placement the first night, where I slept next to a group of other female solo travelers who had decided to walk together. The likelihood of you finding people (if that's what you want, it's what I wanted) is good, but who you find does somewhat depend on being in the right place at the right time. I personally did not have any of the "bad experiences" you hear about, but I did try to be vary wary, especially at times when I was alone. If you had any more-specific questions feel free to ask but hope this gave a general idea? -- Also if you haven't already looked on Facebook, there's many groups for various purposes (I'm not in most so not sure which are most useful), but Camigas is a generally supportive group for females on the Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Glad you had a positive experience, and thanks for coming back to tell us.
I often came across groups of solo females who had loosely banded together, and they always seemed to be having a whale of a time!
Why not continue where you left off, when you get the chance? The stretch to Burgos is fairly easy walking, with a range of different terrains, and both ends are reachable by public transport from Madrid. Burgos is worth the trip in itself.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.