• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 days is this normal

Don Ebbs

recedingtide
Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking the Camino starting at SJPP on the 9th of September thru the middle of October
This is my first Camino and I am leaving from the states Sunday and expect to be taking my first step from sjpdp on Wednesday is it normal to not sleep, have a hard time concentrating and have this feeling of a combination of fear of the unknown, excitement and "what the heck am I doing walking 500 miles"....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is my first Camino and I am leaving from the states Sunday and expect to be taking my first step from sjpdp on Wednesday is it normal to not sleep, have a hard time concentrating and have this feeling of a combination of fear of the unknown, excitement and "what the heck am I doing walking 500 miles"....
I sure hope so as I have the same symptoms :confused:.
Mary Kate

Nornal normal normal, and you will probably feel like this until you take your first steps up the hill, after that it fades away and after a few days you won't even think about it. Its Camino fever, and can be treated by long walks, good company and vino tinto. There is no cure, you will have to come back again and again for treatment. :)

Awesome!! I like it.... LOL... no worries. But the excitement should be all positive. This is such an experience, but it is what you make it. So big precentage is attitude! Nervous to start, of the unknown, ... yes, normal. Excitement should be in the mix. You will have an experience of a lifetime, so embrace it and try and catch so sleep to be strong and ready!!

Buen Camino mon ami!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Wow this could have been my post except I am leaving from South Africa and will be taking my first step from Irun on Wednesday! We are also first timers and I am having exactly the same thoughts and feelings! So you are not alone it is obviously normal pre-camino jitters.

Buen Camino Maybe we will meet up in Santiago!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank Goodness it's "normal"!!! I'm up every morning between 4 and 5am and I was thinking my body was getting "Camino ready" but I'm getting pretty tired now!! I depart in 4 days and I do hope to get a good night sleep the night before I head out!! Buen Camino!!
Yeah, once you start walking the Camino and get into a routine or rhythm of sorts, you will sleep quite well after walking half the day. I slept like a log every night on the Camino, no problem. That's even after taking a nap in the afternoon.

Soooo...
This is what I am thinking: when I go on my Camino Portugues next spring, I will go into it with the sole expectations of working my walk, contemplating, absorbing the moments, and be free from the assault of things that are familiar.
All else that come my way I will accept as bonuses, gravy on my pudding, icing on my camino cake.
I will try to heed my frequently-repeated aphorism: a situation is only truly bad if you learn nothing from it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Don,
500 miles - are you CRAZY? What on earth makes you think you can do that? WHY would you do that? What if everyone goes way faster than you and YOU LOOK LIKE A TOTAL DWEEB standing by yourself WAY behind everyone else? What if you can't sleep for the WHOLE TIME you're away? What if you have a HEART ATTACK or GET LOST and wander off the path, never to be found again? What if some monstrous DOG BITES YOUR TOE and you can't walk and you get GANGRENE and have to go to the HOSPITAL and you CAN'T PAY so they put you in JAIL and nobody knows where you are and you DON'T EVEN GET ONE PHONE CALL from Spain? What if...?

What if you have a WONDERFUL time? My bet's on this one.
Buen camino!
Yeah - sorry - you're totally normal. Shoot! Don't you hate that?

Nornal normal normal, and you will probably feel like this until you take your first steps up the hill, after that it fades away and after a few days you won't even think about it. Its Camino fever, and can be treated by long walks, good company and vino tinto. There is no cure, you will have to come back again and again for treatment. :)

I'll drink to that!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

---Well, judging from people's reaction when I tell them what I am going to do....you are one of us. It's a wonderful, moving river. Jump in.

That is a natural reaction, once you walk a day or two and get into the routine of the Camino you will sleep just fine; believe me after walking 25 or 30 or more KM in a day, with a pack on your back, you will sleep!
Buen Camino!

Hi Don,
500 miles - are you CRAZY? What on earth makes you think you can do that? WHY would you do that? What if everyone goes way faster than you and YOU LOOK LIKE A TOTAL DWEEB standing by yourself WAY behind everyone else? What if you can't sleep for the WHOLE TIME you're away? What if you have a HEART ATTACK or GET LOST and wander off the path, never to be found again? What if some monstrous DOG BITES YOUR TOE and you can't walk and you get GANGRENE and have to go to the HOSPITAL and you CAN'T PAY so they put you in JAIL and nobody knows where you are and you DON'T EVEN GET ONE PHONE CALL from Spain? What if...?

Buen camino!

Love it! :p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh no a whole load of new things to keep me awake at night now!
Hee hee. If any of these things happen it won't be the first time and probably not the last. Except Gangrene. I've never heard of that one. And jail only happens in the films. The Spanish police know that sending you back to the albergue is more punishment than a prison cell.:eek: Only joking. You'll all have the time of your lives and I'm just jealous.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
BTW Don, I will be leaving from SJPdP on Thursday! We might run into each other along "The Way"!! Buen Camino!

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think.
When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
The Dharmapada

in the case of the pilgrim walking west your shadow will lead, not follow! let this joyful excitement you're experiencing accompany your journey.

I fly out from the States on Tuesday and start walking from Pamplona on Friday. We may meet up. As for me, I'm sleeping, but immediately upon waking pick up my phone and read the latest on the forum. I think it's a related kind of fever. Happy travels!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All I'm feeling is jealousy right now...! Maybe you should be nervous, but certainly you should be excited! It will be a wonderful (maybe life-changing) experience. Enjoy...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You may not sleep well for a few days, as your body clock readjusts itself, but when you do.....wow, it will be the deepest, most refreshing sleep you've had in a long time. Amazing how fresh air and physical exertion can bring that on. As for the nervous, excited feelings, well, they pretty much just become excited feelings. Don't be surprised if you find yourself high-fiving new made friends and saying "Dude, we're WALKING ACROSS SPAIN !" and then catching a glimpse of yourself in a window displaying one of the biggest, most authentic smiles you've had in a long time.

Normal or not, you are not alone. My problem is that I planned my Camino almost a year in advance, for next May. That's too much time to worry. Am I training right or enough, what should I pack, do I have the right shoes, are they broken in enough, Norte or Frances, ETC !!!
My hiking experience says, take that first step and all your worries will be behind you. Don't look back, only to enjoy the view.
Buen Camino

Absolutely 100% normal. Those jitters at the beggining....that's why the Camino means so much when you are done. Embrace them.

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Don,

Buen camino!
Cecilia you are too funny.

You may not sleep well for a few days, as your body clock readjusts itself, but when you do.....wow, it will be the deepest, most refreshing sleep you've had in a long time. Amazing how fresh air and physical exertion can bring that on. As for the nervous, excited feelings, well, they pretty much just become excited feelings. Don't be surprised if you find yourself high-fiving new made friends and saying "Dude, we're WALKING ACROSS SPAIN !" and then catching a glimpse of yourself in a window displaying one of the biggest, most authentic smiles you've had in a long time.
David that is exactly how it was for me each and every one of the 30 days I walked across. I still feel this elation 15 months after I completed my Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's not only normal it is part of the experience. You will soon be sleeping deeply with a clear mind.

Me too Don, writing this at 3am as awake again. Pilgrim Blessing Monday morning, then train to London. Tuesday, Eurostar to Paris then on to Bayonne and SJPdP. Walking Wednesday like you. Everything is out of my pack and on the floor again as I try and loose some weight and consider the wants and the needs! Excited and scared

Hi Don,

Buen camino!
love it you made me smile,, cos you must have been reading my mind except you forgot to add WHAT IF YOU ARE STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE WITH A BROKEN TOOTH AND THE ONLY OPTION IS THE LOCAL BUTCHER/HANDYMAN ?and what if yours house BURNS DOWN while you are away in the SPANISH JAIL?or you fall and BREAK YOUR KNEE/HEAD/ANKLE on the way out of san jean ?:eek:

Gosh my worries are a lot more mundane - what if I don't finish that report at work and everyone finds out how incompetent I am whilst I'm away? What if my granddaughter never forgives me for missing her 7th birthday, what if I download the wrong songs to my ipad, what if I really can't cope and come home early with my tail between my legs!!!!

Gosh my worries are a lot more mundane - what if I don't finish that report at work and everyone finds out how incompetent I am whilst I'm away? What if my granddaughter never forgives me for missing her 7th birthday, what if I download the wrong songs to my ipad, what if I really can't cope and come home early with my tail between my legs!!!!
Good luck Cate - I'm leaving for the airport in an hour (from Australia) Maybe we'll run into each other.

oh hell,, you have just given us more STUFF to worry about ,,o_O

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sooooo understanding this!! One week to go... Already in Spain and feeling excited/anxious/nervous.... First steps from SJPP on Tuesday in a week! Meet you on the trail! Kate

I'm starting from Pamplona on friday too!!! :D
The sections after Pamplona are some of my top favorites on the Camino Frances. Zarriquiegui, where scenes of "the Way" were filmed is beautiful. Who would know that this village was descimated by the plague in the Middle Ages and pilgrims avoided it like...well, like the Plague.;). It was repopulated in the 15th Century and remains a beautiful place. That said, CIRAUQUI, major WOW! as you approach from the Camino trail. The Roman road and bridge right after B-L-E-W my mind!!

Ahhh, the memories!!! :D Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wishing I were sleepless for this reason...I have 2 yrs before my planned walk. Come back with a good story when you are done! Cheers!
I also had two years of planning but now I leave TOMORROW! It seemed like it would never come and now suddenly my Camino is starting. :)

Everyone is normal to the others in the shared lunatic asylum!
update....it only gets worse. I got on a plane this morning and last nigh I got zero sleep

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sooooo understanding this!! One week to go... Already in Spain and feeling excited/anxious/nervous.... First steps from SJPP on Tuesday in a week! Meet you on the trail! Kate
I'm chasing you

Don-- do try to get a good night sleep before embarking on the Camino. Remember to drink twice the amount of water you are used to, both due to the jetlag and to hidrate your system. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I had the same fears as you, but let me assure you that it will be ok. I had a lot of things going against me because I may be a lot older than you for one and for another my Camino prep was walking around the park about four times a day to equal three miles. The beginning of the Camino is hard, but you get stronger along the way. Enjoy, it's all good. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I will no doubt have a somewhat restless sleep tonight as well.

I was sitting around with the old buddies in our club three days ago when it occurred to me that I was just too comfortable in my contented retirement state. And who to call upon, but the Comfort Slayer: Mr El Camino. Decision made, I forthwith entered my Camino space and started downing red wine with Dionysian abandon and looking around for tapas as the Camino stars pulled at on my heartstrings from across the wide seas. Meandered my erratic way home, fired up the computer and booked the next reasonable flight.

Spur of the moment. Only items in my back pack: one change of clothes and a hope and a prayer.

I’ll be in Pamplona tomorrow.

I will no doubt have a somewhat restless sleep tonight as well.

I was sitting around with the old buddies in our club three days ago when it occurred to me that I was just too comfortable in my contented retirement state. And who to call upon, but the Comfort Slayer: Mr El Camino. Decision made, I forthwith entered my Camino space and started downing red wine with Dionysian abandon and looking around for tapas as the Camino stars pulled at on my heartstrings from across the wide seas. Meandered my erratic way home, fired up the computer and booked the next reasonable flight.

Spur of the moment. Only items in my back pack: one change of clothes and a hope and a prayer.

Way to go Capecorps!!

It's so exciting to read about all of you who are getting started or in the middle of your caminos! Ultreya!!

...and THAT's how is done!!! :D capecorps-- I am 3 years away from "sitting on that chair"! Buen Camino!

Capecorp , I guess that's one way to avoid the pre-Camino jitters! Just get up and do it. That should make for an interesting Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Most of us felt the same way before we got on the trail started walking. Before the end of your first day you are already be a seasoned peregrino. It just gets better after that, as you probably know already. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most of us felt the same way before we got on the trail started walking. Before the end of your first day you are already be a seasoned peregrino. It just gets better after that, as you probably know already. Buen Camino!
that goes some way to be reassuring!

SO, are you I. SJPP? Feeling ready??? :)

Well Wayfairer font of all knowledge and discipline, you are for once wrong, because we got cured this year on our second Francis . on the way down into Acebo after an hour on scree she who walks with me uttered those imortal words"never again, thats it" and so I just had to accept that, and I did not want to see the woman I love suffer any longer and so that was that cured. we walked on to Santiago and hanging over a wall in the square and looking west on the camino Finisterre we caught it again We planned to do a wee walk this year to Finisterre, that had morphed into a Portuguese next year and a shortened Frances the next. Advice, if you feel cured get out quick before you catch it again

on the way down into Acebo after an hour on scree she who walks with me uttered those imortal words"never again, thats it"
I, too, have sworn off that stretch. It will be a taxi next time. But the rest...:)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.